Having a hard time learning to love Hurley | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Having a hard time learning to love Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We get it. You're a doctor. No need to show off with your knowledge of the human anatomy!
Even non-doctors know such parts of the anatomy or come to know them, at the annual physical.

Reaction Score
Yes yes and yes....

Calhoun being gone for a few years and everyone forgets how he undressed players who made mistakes on the court. I have never seen DH humiliate a player publicly like Calhoun did regularly. He kicked the scorers table, slammed water bottles and He dropped m f’ers regularly on kids. Two different styles but to say calhouns methods were less severe shows you have a terrible memory or are ridiculously biased.

THIS Jim Calhoun ? This was in the opening minute of the opening game of the 2004 tournament in Buffalo against the 15 seed, Vermont

HC-IF-LOOKS-COULD-KILL2.jpg

Reaction Score
At the risk of ostracism ...

Just a reminder to everyone here: It is neither an affront to all you value in life nor a reason to limit opinions just because you come upon a post with which you vehemently disagree.

And, by the way, this is the case in almost every area of life. I’ll keep it clean. Opinions are like anuses - everybody has one. Everybody also has a heart. You disagree? Post your own take, and the evidence to back it up. It’s okay to be wrong and inflame passions. It’s also okay for an opinion to be right yet inflammatory

By the way, here’s mine. Hurley is a dramatic step up in recruiting, with a very good eye for better-than-rated talent, motivation and team chemistry, and coaching defense. He is still a work in progress in in-game coaching and offensive creativity.
Are you aware you're on an internet message board ? You do understand that they exist SPECIFICALLY for this very purpose, right ?

Reaction Score
I love the guy but that kind of stuff got increasingly cringeworthy toward the end. Specifically the walking out to midcourt to confront a kid and screaming loud enough to be heard in the nosebleeds.
What is this revisionist history ? You're making it out like Calhoun lost his touch and struggled for years before leaving. Uh, no. He won a national championship in 2011 and coached one more year. He did this from day one, all the way through.

And this is exactly what I was talking about. You and Waquoit just didn't like this aspect of Calhoun. Period. But neither of you seem to get that it was an integral part of who Calhoun was. Without it, UConn has ZERO national championships instead of FOUR.

Reaction Score
Maybe it's the fact that without fans, the mics pick up almost everything. So this year we were treated to 40 minutes of Hurley screaming into our living rooms. Through every. Single. Play. Rick Pitino is another incessant screamer. He did this even with the Celtics--shocker the players eventually quit on him. I don't believe Calhoun did that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he screamed when he was upset with a player or a ref, but he didn't bark orders in real time on what players should do on every possession. Do players just ignore him? How the heck do you concentrate on the play and also focus on the advice coming from your maniac coach on the sidelines?

Also.............we have to talk about the mask thing. He takes it off to talk to refs, players, and the other coach, then he puts it back on when he walks away. Is this dress rehearsal? We're a year into the pandemic. Everyone knows by now that's the OPPOSITE of what you're supposed to do. He's either being ignorant or willfully non-complaint. Neither is a good look. Especially on a team that had multiple Covid related pauses.

Plus, he just doesn't have a warm personality. Yes, Calhoun was a nut, yes he could be a total jerk, but he still often seemed like a basically likable, down to earth guy. Hurley just doesn't seem to have that soft touch to balance out his angry lunacy. So I almost get more of a Bobby Knight vibe than a Jim Calhoun vibe. Calhoun seemed relaxed and comfortable in his own skin much of the time. Hurley constantly seems like a string that's about to snap--even in interviews where he's trying to be calm.

If they don't win--like, really win--in the next couple of years, I predict he's going to quit. Mental health sabbatical. Best thing. Otherwise he might murder someone!
First time seeing this thread and this has to be a troll post, it just has to be.

Reaction Score
What is this revisionist history ? You're making it out like Calhoun lost his touch and struggled for years before leaving. Uh, no. He won a national championship in 2011 and coached one more year. He did this from day one, all the way through.

And this is exactly what I was talking about. You and Waquoit just didn't like this aspect of Calhoun. Period. But neither of you seem to get that it was an integral part of who Calhoun was. Without it, UConn has ZERO national championships instead of FOUR.
I loved that Calhoun was an old school psycho with his players. Some players couldn't take it and others truly benefitted from it and reached incredible heights, his force of will was a large part of his success...

I also remember worrying in some of his final seasons he was going to truly cross the line and possibly have a Bobby Knight ending to his career which would've tarnished his entire legacy. I never liked the Calhoun Knight comparisons because Knight is a mean-spirited bully and Calhoun is a great guy but the optics were starting to get bad. Thank god that '11 championship season happened and he was able to go out the right way.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Of course I get it. It's too bad that's what he needed to do to win but I celebrated along with everyone else. But do you understand that merde doesn't fly anymore? That's my main point bringing it up now.

Reaction Score

Spare me the lecture. I didn't say anything about struggling for years. There were some moments toward the end where I thought he embarrassed himself. Like John said, I was worried that he was going to have a Bobby Knight moment. Marching out to mid-court while hitching up his pants to mother-____ a kid while everyone in the gym listens is actually not what made Calhoun great.

Last edited:

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
THIS Jim Calhoun ? This was in the opening minute of the opening game of the 2004 tournament in Buffalo against the 15 seed, Vermont

View attachment 65897 .
That's Mr. Wonderful right there.

The worst I can remember was Rob Garrison. If you're out there Rob, we appreciate you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom