Hate to steal TonyC's thunder---but UConn is beginning to look.... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hate to steal TonyC's thunder---but UConn is beginning to look....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Your content is fine. Nonetheless, reminding people that you were right before detracts from your message. Meant as a helpful hint, nothing more.
Thanks for that but my only reason for mentioning it wasn't to pat myself on the back but remind some people who may have forgotten that generally I'm optimistic about the Huskies and NOT A DOWNER but that I was taken aback by the Stanford performance and was now "concerned" about something I don't ever remember being concerned about before with the lady Huskies and that was their ability to play fundamentally strong defense. It appeared that they've corrected it but then again, those games were against teams with different styles. I'm in a good place right now but I'll continue to monitor their defensive performances for my own mental health.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
One of the reasons our defense has been a little suspect is the lack of Stef. She, along with Stewie, allowed our guards to play aggressive. If an opponent got by a guard Stef and Stewie were there to clean up. And when we went big and added Kiah into the mix, nobody got a layup or an essay shot in the paint.

So this year our guards have to be on top of their opponent. But they really can't cheat like last year. If you notice, when Kiah comes into the game, drives into the lane diminish quickly. They know Kiah's rep as a shot blocker and enforcer in the paint. Her play is proving her rep is well deserved.

Morgan is not the post presence of Stef. She is a multi-dimensional player who makes the offense more diversified and dangerous.

Reaction Score
I dated a piccolo/flute player. A couple sax players. A couple french horn players. A baritone player. A couple flag/rifle girls. Don't think I ever dated a clarinet player though, ugh.

This one time at band camp....:eek:

MEYER: don't leave us hanging like that, Man. ( I'm guessing that one of the rifle girls took a few pot shots at you during band camp? )
I'm also guessing that "dated" in your parlance means something equivalent to "took a furtive glance from behind a tree......perhaps a date palm."
Nasty attitude you have about clarinet players.....;)

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Disagreements are fine. However, it's not fine to call people with different opinions names or to disparage them in any way. I noted in the "fluff" thread that people felt the need to take a poke at the folks who want to discuss both positive and negative aspects of the team. Why do that? Why take gratuitous shots at people just because they have different opinions? It's unkind, at the least, and mean-spirited at the other end of the spectrum. Anyone that defends their "right" to be mean-spirited towards others for thinking differently is fooling themselves for thinking their actions are righteous."

It took me a few posts (OK, more than a few) to get what Nan has consistently been saying. I was used to sports boards that were and are, for lack of a better term, "free fire zones." Part of that routine involved a form of verbal combat whose SECONDARY purpose was to inform. The primary purpose was to outwit everyone else. It was an ongoing battle.

Just as UConn WBB is special (and in many ways unique), it is fitting that we raise the bar here on the BY. Expecting civility isn't a limit on freedom of expession.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
If I were an anthropologist, sociologist, or some other kinda' ologist, I suspect I would find this thread rich and fascinating.

Permit an amateur observer of the human condition to pontificate a bit, please.

Some BY'ers really do look at the glass as half-empty. They see what's missing, they see what is not done well, they see mistakes strongly and clearly. They can't let that go, and they feel validated and empowered by noting these errors and flaws. If I were to do a "+/-" breakdown of posts, some folks would certainly have more "-" than "+".
Conversely, some folks see the glass as half-full. They see what's there, what is done well, and see success strongly and clearly. They don't understand those who dwell on the flaws, and feel validated and empowered by noting and celebrating the good stuff.
And, there is a contingent of pretty balanced folks, who see both flaws and strengths. Those folks often bring another factor to the debate, which is patience, a "longer-term" view, understanding that November and December are not February and March, and that Freshman year and early Sophomore year are not the same as late Junior year and Senior year. They rarely fall into the trap of extrapolating one game, or one half of a game, into a player's predestined future.

Yeah, I like to think that I usually fall into category "C", but, if I have a lean, it's towards "half-full".

Speaking just for myself, I get my pelt rubbed wrong-way when folks of the "half-empty" school seem to "write-off" a Husky based upon early results - when they don't exhibit patience, or a long-term viewpoint, when an 18 0r 19-year old student doesn't exhibit a level of poise or performance or consistency that many adult professional players or teams can't achieve.

I do believe we are spoiled rotten by this program's success, and the astonishing individuals who have come through it. I do believe that many of our expectations are ridiculously high. And, I do believe that we, as fans , do not have the right to use a comment or two by Geno to validate our demanding, critical viewpoints. He has a far, far greater and stronger relationship with these players, and has an entirely different job description. He's earned the right to call somebody out to a much different degree. But, even there, I don't think you would find him writing off players the way some of us do. He certainly will comment on what a player has or hasn't done, but I don't think he'd say anything along the lines of "I knew that player would never start/contribute/fail" or "they won't contribute/be any good going forward, so, I wonder if they'll stay".

I know that there are some things he's not "allowed" to say, and we aren't held to the same restrictions, but, ... sometimes I really wonder if some of us have spent any time around college-age people, or remember ourselves at that age.

Just to be contradictory, that doesn't mean that I fall into the "well, Geno's got to give everybody a chance/playing time, and, if he doesn't, then it's his fault if somebody doesn't produce" camp. I coached high school girls softball for 8 years, and summer/travel teams as well. I fought the "everybody on the team gets a turn, 'cause it's fair" mentality, for years. To put it bluntly, that mindset expires just about at the JV high-school level. Up until then - through Little League/Rec ball, through middle-school, through freshman year - player development is more important than winning (despite what some parent's think). But, varsity teams are playing for conference championships, and state tournaments. Results are printed in the paper, and individual performances are high-lighted. Players are vying for college attention, and maybe scholarships. Wins matter at that level, so playing time is based upon how that contributes to winning. Not having sons, I do not know if the same is true in boy's sports, but, there always seems to be some girls and their parents who cling to the "everybody has to have a turn" mentality, even at the varsity level. JV ball is the pivot point - JV stands for Junior Varsity, and the JV coach has to send the message, whether explicitly or implicitly, that his/her job is identifying and developing varsity-level talent, both physical and mental - and, because of that, the "everybody gets a turn" mindset needs to start to change.

Sorry this has gone on so long, but, I think that we all bring a certain amount of baggage to our fan experience - some of which makes us more susceptible to being negative, positive, impatient, or holding the program to a "girl's" standard, or an "adult" standard, rather than a "college student" standard.

Reaction Score
We are certainly spoiled by the successes of this program. And some just have a different way of enjoying being a fan. Let me tell you about my dad: He was a big football fan and loved his team. But to listen to him, you would think he hated them! He would talk about every mistake and every player he thought was not performing as they should. If I asked him during one of his rants about all that was wrong with the team why he watched a team he apparently hated, he would be surprised and say "No, I really like this team, they are great, but would be so much better if only..."

So he sounded like a half-empty guy because he thought the only thing worth discussing were the problems. To him, the greatness was obvious and he didn't realize how negative he sounded. And he seemed to enjoy this kind of fandom. (no, I did not and often vacated the room!)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
We are certainly spoiled by the successes of this program. And some just have a different way of enjoying being a fan. Let me tell you about my dad: He was a big football fan and loved his team. But to listen to him, you would think he hated them! He would talk about every mistake and every player he thought was not performing as they should. If I asked him during one of his rants about all that was wrong with the team why he watched a team he apparently hated, he would be surprised and say "No, I really like this team, they are great, but would be so much better if only..."

So he sounded like a half-empty guy because he thought the only thing worth discussing were the problems. To him, the greatness was obvious and he didn't realize how negative he sounded. And he seemed to enjoy this kind of fandom. (no, I did not and often vacated the room!)
There's no right or wrong way to be a fan. I know most people would rather not hear negative opinions, like you with your dad, but it's easy enough to tune out what you don't like and concentrate on the ones you do like. If there's a poster that continually annoys you, put them on Ignore.

Reaction Score
Um, I am not complaining about negative posts. Just saying that I understand that some people only comment on the negative even if they don't feel totally negative.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
MEYER: don't leave us hanging like that, Man. ( I'm guessing that one of the rifle girls took a few pot shots at you during band camp? )
All American (Pie) flute players. :cool: (and come to think of it I did go out with at least one rifle and flag girl, each)

I'm also guessing that "dated" in your parlance means something equivalent to "took a furtive glance from behind a tree.perhaps a date palm."
Suuurrrre. Yea, that's it, a furtive glance. ;) Whatever kept me from getting killed by her daddy.

You would have had to have seen them. :rolleyes: I was much shallower in my yute.

Reaction Score
MEY: actually, I thought you had discovered somehow that I'm a clarinet player and that you were directing that comment in my direction. Paranoia can sure be a nuisance.
And speaking of yute, which you were, I'm wondering if you ever dated a yute player? (I think you have to climb the Himalayas to find one, but you do seem desperate enough to have made that trek. Not sure how that would fit in with your penchant for very short term relationships. We'd have to get some of the stat guys in on this, but my own quick calculations suggest you've averaged about one date per day since age 23, and all with different women.)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm also guessing that "dated" in your parlance means something equivalent to "took a furtive glance from behind a tree.perhaps a date palm."
You would have had to have seen them. :rolleyes: I was much shallower in my yute.
My son dated a very lovely young lady that happened to be a clarinet player. But alas, it wasn't to be. Mixed relationships between low brass and clarinets seldom work out.

Tom Katelyn.jpg

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Just something to think about when you post. After you write you post and before you click on Post Reply re read it and ask yourself...how would I feel is someone posted that about my daughter or grand daughter?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My son dated a very lovely young lady that happened to be a clarinet player. But alas, it wasn't to be. Mixed relationships between low brass and clarinets seldom work out.

View attachment 8088

Nan, you crack me up. You have to let the monkey out more often!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

View attachment 8088
Very cute, unlike clarinetists in my era. And very true, we low brass were/are a breed of our own.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
MEY: actually, I thought you had discovered somehow that I'm a clarinet player and that you were directing that comment in my direction. Paranoia can sure be a nuisance.
And speaking of yute, which you were, I'm wondering if you ever dated a yute player? (I think you have to climb the Himalayas to find one, but you do seem desperate enough to have made that trek. Not sure how that would fit in with your penchant for very short term relationships. We'd have to get some of the stat guys in on this, but my own quick calculations suggest you've averaged about one date per day since age 23, and all with different women.)
Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. Paranoia, the destroyer.

No Himalayas, no Yeti, no Wilt the Stilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom