Hate to steal TonyC's thunder---but UConn is beginning to look.... | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hate to steal TonyC's thunder---but UConn is beginning to look....

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Of course it's OK to point out that you disagree. As long as folks aren't insulting to one another, the back and forth of such discussions can be really interesting.
And to add a cherry on top, looks like Geno agrees with the "stay positive side". :D (at least for the holidays)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Do I sense a little more negativity, or maybe its frustration, yes. As fans we've been spoiled to the max. Last year's team was the juggernaut that couldn't be stopped, though that BYU game gave off some heart flutters. And that's the problem. Its not last year!

There is no Stef or Bria this year. New roles have to be established. New leadership has to emerge. This is a whole new team and their evolution of becoming a "team" is developing before our eyes. Its a great sight to behold. Look at the difference between now and the Stanford game. We kicked ND's butt on their own court! Nurse has emerged as a force. Morgan is becoming a force. Stevie and K are who they are. MoJeff is off to a slow start but coming around. Kiah is the intimidator and enforcer and the team trusts her. Sinaya is showing she belongs and can run the show. And the surprise of all, Gabby Williams!

May we loose another game or two - its possible. But remember the goal - win the league regular season, win the league tournament and win the national championship.

I for one will sit back and enjoy this team.

Reaction Score
People are welcome to post their impressions, both positive and negative, as long as they do so in a civil manner. That's what we've always done on the Boneyard and what we will always do here.
You gotta do something about your hair.:D

Reaction Score
Well take this thread for instance. OP put up a pretty good, optimistic post. First responder quickly started in on what was wrong with the first 10 minutes. Just seems like a lot of negativity out there. Which is ok. People can be positive or negative,I really don't care. But I think it should be ok to point out how silly (or unrealistic) it is to always point out the negatives of such a good team. Especially when the negatives pale in comparison to the greatness of this team.
What you have is people talking about mistakes. I think everyone was probably very happy with the overall performance of the team the other night but I think a lot of people might be concerned that one game or two games doesn't necessarily point to the team being over the serious issues we saw at Stanford. The game prior to Stanford, I don't think there was much of any criticism of the Huskies and in fact, people predicting the final score, with just a few exceptions, were figuring on a massive win for UConn. Our performance that night was so totally different than the type performance a Geno team typically plays that it scared the heck out of a lot of us. Deep flaws in the defense and a totally unbalanced and flawed offensive showing really set a lot of people back. It was anything but the type performance that anyone expected. Is it resolved or will other good teams be able to exploit some of the things exposed that night? It appears Geno has righted the ship but there's still a concern so some are taking the "let's wait and see" approach rather than putting all their chips in on where we are or where we will be. I think it's only human nature and so we have some skeptics or concerned people while others here feel that it was just a blip and UConn is again invincible. I can't see why people feel the need to go after the skeptics or the concerned people here. They are apt to look at games very differently as a result of that disconcerting loss and it'll take a while, maybe a long while, before that goes away.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
What you have is people talking about mistakes.
I would disagree, there seems more to it than that for some of the skeptics.

I think everyone was probably very happy with the overall performance of the team
I disagree again.

but I think a lot of people might be concerned that one game or two games doesn't necessarily point to the team being over the serious issues we saw at Stanford.
OR, the one game (Stanford) doesn't point to there being "serious issues" compared to all the rest of the games. In fact it seems to point more to a one off blip of a game that really doesn't give a good representation of this team.

I can't see why people feel the need to go after the skeptics or the concerned people here.
And some of us can't see why people feel the need to go after some of the players like they do. It's ok if they do, they're free to do so. But we should be free to call them out for their silliness without being scolded for doing so.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Buzzy, you appear to be watching a completely different than I am. As I said earlier the Stanford game was about the first long road trip to the west coast while adding four inexperienced players to the group and a mix that was still trying to find its baseline. It is no big thing and the team has looked nothing like that since the line up changes and with more time to gel.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
And some of us can't see why people feel the need to go after some of the players like they do. It's ok if they do, they're free to do so. But we should be free to call them out for their silliness without being scolded for doing so.
You've called opposing opinions "silliness" a couple of times. Would you be OK if the situation were reversed, if the people who think differently from you called your posts silly?

Disagreements are fine. However, it's not fine to call people with different opinions names or to disparage them in any way. I noted in the "fluff" thread that people felt the need to take a poke at the folks who want to discuss both positive and negative aspects of the team. Why do that? Why take gratuitous shots at people just because they have different opinions? It's unkind, at the least, and mean-spirited at the other end of the spectrum. Anyone that defends their "right" to be mean-spirited towards others for thinking differently is fooling themselves for thinking their actions are righteous.

As my friend cto, the Syracusefan.com admin, says "We can disagree without being disagreeable".

AboutWeston

Artiste Extraordinaire
Reaction Score
People are welcome to post their impressions, both positive and negative, as long as they do so in a civil manner. That's what we've always done on the Boneyard and what we will always do here.

For Rady: I am a "positive poster" who doesn't post anymore for reasons having nothing to do with the character of discussion. Altho' I know what you mean about "only the bad is pointed out." That is a teaching tool some parents use to urge their children to achieve to a higher level.

Having access to SNY thru having gotten a sports package in 2014 that shows the Idirarod (for REAL Huskies), lately I have watched some UCONN games - since the "lady" Huskies are also on the 4-legged Huskies' station grouping.

My impression FWIW is that this UCONN team is really, really talented and super deep. To the point that I think they are going to be amazing by NCAA tournament time!!!

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
I really don't think it's nitpicking to worry about the defense. It was porous on occasion an a couple of trips down the floor it was godawful. I recall a DePaul player coming in from the right and blowing by not one but two UConn players who looked at each other as if they were saying, "Who? Me?" I tend t be skeptical, but I'll be convinced after I see a complete defensive game from this team.
I dont think we are the best defensive team we have ever been, especially when we have our best offensive team on the floor. And the new Touch fouls mean we may never see our best defensive teams or stats again - ever!? Having said that, we held DePaul who averages 90-100 to 60, while scoring 90. Not too bad. UCLA has 6-7 HS All Americans and a dynamite point guard, and we put the hammer down at the exact same point we put the hammer down on Notre Dame. Things are improving. Our fresher legs because of a 3 deep bench is just beginning tow wear out the opponents starters, even if it doesn't look as scripted as it used to.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I think in general, I'm much more positive that I used to be
Of course, there was the Sadie issue…and I reverted for an instant

But i'm very pleased in general with the direction that the team is going.
And I still believe that they that there is a good chance that they will be truly invincible come tourney time.

And yes, all this talk of last year's team being invincible is so much hogwash.
They had plenty of nights in which they didn't play well at all…won, but looked pretty strained.
And that includes Stef and Bria.
I remember the game in Springfield as hardly being a moment of "artistic basketball.'
A fairly easy win, but a mess.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You've called opposing opinions "silliness" a couple of times. Would you be OK if the situation were reversed, if the people who think differently from you called your posts silly?
Wolves do not concern themselves with the opinions of sheep. :cool:

Sure, I don't care if people call my opinions silly. I know what's silly and not silly. I am not thin-skinned, it don't bother me none. And if it does that's my problem.

It's unkind, at the least, and mean-spirited at the other end of the spectrum. Anyone that defends their "right" to be mean-spirited towards others for thinking differently is fooling themselves for thinking their actions are righteous.
Really Nan? Really? Wow.

As my friend cto, the Syracusefan.com admin, says "We can disagree without being disagreeable".
Where's the fun in that? ;)

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
AboutWeston said:
For Rady: I am a "positive poster" who doesn't post anymore for reasons having nothing to do with the character of discussion. Altho' I know what you mean about "only the bad is pointed out." That is a teaching tool some parents use to urge their children to achieve to a higher level.

Having access to SNY thru having gotten a sports package in 2014 that shows the Idirarod (for REAL Huskies), lately I have watched some UCONN games - since the "lady" Huskies are also on the 4-legged Huskies' station grouping.

My impression FWIW is that this UCONN team is really, really talented and super deep. To the point that I think they are going to be amazing by NCAA tournament time!!!

I wondered why I hadn't seen you in such a while. And, as a teacher, truly I understand that things need to be pointed out where improvement is necessary but I also know that a barrage of negativity never brings good results. So if you're going to present one aspect, why not balance it with some of the other?

of course you have to be careful how you word that as well so as not to be misunderstood.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
You don't think it's unkind to call people names? Really? :(
Who have I called names?

And there are other ways to be mean-spirited than by calling people names and still thinking their actions are righteous. Right Nan? ;)

Reaction Score
OR, the one game (Stanford) doesn't point to there being "serious issues" compared to all the rest of the games. In fact it seems to point more to a one off blip of a game that really doesn't give a good representation of this team.

If your frustrated with all the nervousness etc - this would be a perfect example for you to start a thread pointing out how awesome they've been since the one game and then "debunk" the "serious" issues sentiment that some may have.

Like you- I don't see "serious issues."

I don't think the team is perfect - but I don't see "serious concerns." We're a juggernaut. But a juggernaut of young players that can be susceptible from time-to-time. If you think posters are wrong and want more positive start some threads epalining why you're right. Just be prepared to take an alternate view from time-to-time.

Reaction Score
Defensively Morgan is no Stef, and won't be, she doesn't have the size to block shots, or alter shots that way. Morgan is going to be great in her own way, but Stef could get some rebounds just with the space she occupied.

Reaction Score
Buzzy, you appear to be watching a completely different than I am. As I said earlier the Stanford game was about the first long road trip to the west coast while adding four inexperienced players to the group and a mix that was still trying to find its baseline. It is no big thing and the team has looked nothing like that since the line up changes and with more time to gel.
I am just being the devils advocate here. I haven't seen too much going on here that should raise the ire of people about where they see the Huskies at this point or maybe even further down the line. I think they (the Huskies) are playing quite well and I'm pleased about the development of Kia Nurse and the return to form for Morgan Tuck after her surgery. Actually, I was one who felt and wrote prior to the start of the regular season that I felt comfortable that Kia Nurse would show herself to be major asset to the team (and early) and that I had a level of confidence that Morgan would actually be able to contribute at a high level, if not immediately, at least before the post season. I'll be honest and say that I was stunned about the Stanford game as were many, if not most of the regular Boneyarders but I felt that Geno would be able to right the defensive issues. I do think that Notre Dame game and DePaul game were very good performances but I think that I'll reserve judgement as to whether there is no longer any obstructions to a tenth title.

Reaction Score
I think in general, I'm much more positive that I used to be
Of course, there was the Sadie issue…and I reverted for an instant

But i'm very pleased in general with the direction that the team is going.
And I still believe that they that there is a good chance that they will be truly invincible come tourney time.

And yes, all this talk of last year's team being invincible is so much hogwash.
They had plenty of nights in which they didn't play well at all…won, but looked pretty strained.
And that includes Stef and Bria.
I remember the game in Springfield as hardly being a moment of "artistic basketball.'
A fairly easy win, but a mess.
How many people here will say that they didn't have a nervous moment or two (or three) with their struggles in the NCAA tournament in Nebraska. Without a stellar performance by KML, we would have been in a massive hole at halftime and yet, we managed to get a foothold and pull away at the end. We are not quite as solid defensively on the interior as we were last year because we lost half of the shot blocking duo that really made life miserable for anyone trying to get anything inside. As has been mentioned, Morgan is good in so many different ways but she doesn't have as much impact on the interior defensively as did Stef. Overall, we may be a better team by tournament time than was last years team but only time will tell.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
If your frustrated with all the nervousness etc -
Not really. I'm one of the most negative people I know. But I also realize sometimes you just gotta step back, take a look at the big picture and realize;

Damn, we're good. Really good. And we've been damn good for quite a while. And it looks like we are gonna be damn good for quite a while in the future. And we should sit back, relax and enjoy the ride. Programs like this don't happen very often.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I am just being the devils advocate here. I haven't seen too much going on here that should raise the ire of people about where they see the Huskies at this point or maybe even further down the line. I think they (the Huskies) are playing quite well and I'm pleased about the development of Kia Nurse and the return to form for Morgan Tuck after her surgery. Actually, I was one who felt and wrote prior to the start of the regular season that I felt comfortable that Kia Nurse would show herself to be major asset to the team (and early) and that I had a level of confidence that Morgan would actually be able to contribute at a high level, if not immediately, at least before the post season. I'll be honest and say that I was stunned about the Stanford game as were many, if not most of the regular Boneyarders but I felt that Geno would be able to right the defensive issues. I do think that Notre Dame game and DePaul game were very good performances but I think that I'll reserve judgement as to whether there is no longer any obstructions to a tenth title.

Just a hint: Telling us that "you were the one that" is only slightly less annoying than quoting yourself in prior posts. And, as far as Kia Nurse prognostications go, the prediction about her great future at UConn has become like a few million of a prior generation boasting to having been there when The Babe pointed to the left field cheap seats!

Reaction Score
Much was written pre-season about Stanford having a whole new offense while many overlooked the fact that we were also forced to rebuild the offense after the graduation of two All-Americans, one of which ran the offense for the past few years. Now that the starting five have been determined, the team is coming together nicely as everyone settles into their roles and so far look pretty comfortable. What UConn is going to run or who is subbed in and when may be predictable, but good luck stopping it.

Reaction Score
Just a hint: Telling us that "you were the one that" is only slightly less annoying than quoting yourself in prior posts. And, as far as Kia Nurse prognostications go, the prediction about her great future at UConn has become like a few million of a prior generation boasting to having been there when The Babe pointed to the left field cheap seats!
If you read my post I didn't say that "I was THE one who said", I wrote that "I was one" (of many) who said so you are kinda barking up the wrong tree with my predictions. The difference of that one little THE changes everything, doesn't it!!!!!!!! I'm not overly full of myself! So don't be annoyed on my account, okay? I was just trying to say that I was optimistic about the Huskies heading into the season, feeling very confident of how Morgan would be able to finally play to her full potential and feeling that the incoming girls, particularly Kia Nurse would be exceptional additions until that pretty bad Stanford performance. I live out of state and have had some issues with seeing all of the Huskie games but seeing that game did little to instill any confidence in me.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
If you read my post I didn't say that "I was THE one who said", I wrote that "I was one" (of many) who said so you are kinda barking up the wrong tree with my predictions. The difference of that one little THE changes everything, doesn't it!!!!!!!! I'm not overly full of myself! So don't be annoyed on my account, okay? I was just trying to say that I was optimistic about the Huskies heading into the season, feeling very confident of how Morgan would be able to finally play to her full potential and feeling that the incoming girls, particularly Kia Nurse would be exceptional additions until that pretty bad Stanford performance. I live out of state and have had some issues with seeing all of the Huskie games but seeing that game did little to instill any confidence in me.

Your content is fine. Nonetheless, reminding people that you were right before detracts from your message. Meant as a helpful hint, nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom