Hartford/Elm City Thread | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Hartford/Elm City Thread

Reaction Score
NPSL's Miami United FC draws record crowd of 11,173 fans for Penarol friendly

NPSL Team in Miami drew 11k to a Friendly with Penarol.

NPSL is launching a “Pro” Division in the fall. Such is the absurd wastefulness of lower division soccer in the US. We already have NISA which has the same philosophy as NPSL.

In Virginia Beach there is a NPSL Team and a USL PDL team sharing a stadium. Like those two teams couldn’t figure out how to merge and do something better?

What percentage of the crowd was cheering for the visitors?

May I ask a question of the board? I'm assuming it's true but I want to confirm. Is the league Hartford Athletic is in, the 2nd best soccer league in the US?

The USSF says it is and who are we to question their wisdom?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
May I ask a question of the board? I'm assuming it's true but I want to confirm. Is the league Hartford Athletic is in, the 2nd best soccer league in the US?

Yes

Reaction Score

Yes and maybe 15% of the players make a living wage.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Yes and maybe 15% of the players make a living wage.
Out of curiosity, do you think the wage part would increase if USL teams were minor league teams, ala baseball.

I can't imagine Yard Goat players make a decent earning, outside the top prospects who sign deals when drafted. Yet the teams survive.

Would a minor league system like this allow the MLS teams to invest more money into second tier soccer??

I just feel like there is such a huge untapped market that is showing itself in these USL clubs. The fact that they have a life span of 5 years is absurd and a shame. These are markets that could really be profitable if the product is good. Look at the Rock Cats/Yard Goats. There was and is interest because it's a fun time, and you get to see some future major league players.

zls44

Reaction Score
Minor-league basketball & hockey players get paid very solid wages, even the ones who don't ever have a shot of making it in the NBA/NHL.

Minor-league baseball is a product of two things- more players and parent clubs that are way, way cheaper with cash.

Reaction Score
Out of curiosity, do you think the wage part would increase if USL teams were minor league teams, ala baseball.

I can't imagine Yard Goat players make a decent earning, outside the top prospects who sign deals when drafted. Yet the teams survive.

Would a minor league system like this allow the MLS teams to invest more money into second tier soccer??

I just feel like there is such a huge untapped market that is showing itself in these USL clubs. The fact that they have a life span of 5 years is absurd and a shame. These are markets that could really be profitable if the product is good. Look at the Rock Cats/Yard Goats. There was and is interest because it's a fun time, and you get to see some future major league players.

That’s what the USL has basically become. With 2-3 MLS teams moving down to USL Division 3.

Keep in mind that the league minimum in MLS is still 50k. So I shudder to think what USL players make.

Reaction Score
Minor-league basketball & hockey players get paid very solid wages, even the ones who don't ever have a shot of making it in the NBA/NHL.

Minor-league baseball is a product of two things- more players and parent clubs that are way, way cheaper with cash.

Unless you mean Kentucky, minor league basketball players in the United States have traditionally earned very little. Typical G-League salaries are about $30K. The NBA has proposed providing a couple of $100K slots on teams to act as a professional alternative to one-and-done (i.e. Kentucky and Duke). Let's see if that gets adopted. As for hockey, AHL: salaries are not terrible, but lower levels don't provide a living wage.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Was just doing a little research on a boring Sunday.

Hartford doesn’t play at home until May. Way to come out of the gates - assume it’s to finish stadium.

The difference between USL and say the Eastern League is that almost every major league player goes through AA and... the USL just won’t have anyone who makes an impact in the sport.

zls44

Reaction Score
Was just doing a little research on a boring Sunday.

Hartford doesn’t play at home until May. Way to come out of the gates - assume it’s to finish stadium.

It is. And having driven by the site a few times, that seems optimistic.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It is. And having driven by the site a few times, that seems optimistic.

I spent a lotta years there reffing hs football games.

If they turned it into something passable that’s great but it is such a ridiculously bad location... if they make it to a second season I’ll be mildly impressed.

Reaction Score
I spent a lotta years there reffing hs football games.

If they turned it into something passable that’s great but it is such a ridiculously bad location... if they make it to a second season I’ll be mildly impressed.

They will never turn a profit.

zls44

Reaction Score
I think they'll hang around long enough because there's enough of a market to support minor league soccer as an existence, plus at least they brought a derelict facility into the 21st century.

Imagine if they did that for an arena, what a concept, but at least we have another baseball stadium in the county now

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They will never turn a profit.

32B84459-9D75-40A8-9137-1AD6E70EA35F.png

even if they sold a good number of these tickets - the travel schedule is ridiculous.

@atlanta
@charleston
@Louisville
@indianapolis
@tampa
@pittsburgh
@new york
@cary

Before they play a home game. They might not survive til the home opener. This might be like that indoor team that never played

Reaction Score
Never is a long, long time and sometimes never never comes.

Shelf life of most minor league teams is less than 5 years. Owners come in and splash money around and then they get sick of losing 5-10M a year in operating expenses.

Reaction Score
Supposedly they’ve arranged to use the Rent if Dillon isn’t available. If that’s likely and they are smart they’ll make the call to use the Rent soon and then announce that any youth organization in the state can buy group tickets for $5 each. Promote it to every AYSO wiithin 40 miles as well as club and school teams. Maybe offer a family rate where parents can get in for $10 if they bring their kid for $5. Even a good-sized crowd (for the USL) won’t look big in the 40K Rent, but if they can announce a good number it will help with momentum and maybe some will return when they move to the 5K-6K Dillon.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Their original plans had the supporters section in the end zone. They scrapped that idea and decided to make it a beer garden. That gives me hope these guys know what they're doing.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
UConn, Premier League soccer games eyed for Hartford's Dillon Stadium

Interesting info in here. Will be interesting if UConn plays all their home games here while their stadium is upgraded.

I can't see a Premier League team coming to a small stadium to play. If anything, they'd play at the Rent. Now, getting a Championship level club from England with a strong international following (Villa, Swansea) would be more realistic.

Reaction Score

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The difference between USL and say the Eastern League is that almost every major league player goes through AA and... the USL just won’t have anyone who makes an impact in the sport.

I'm not sure that's a big deal and might be a good thing. The prime goal of this team is to win games not develop players. That's kind of refreshing.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that's a big deal and might be a good thing. The prime goal of this team is to win games not develop players. That's kind of refreshing.

It is to us. But I didn’t not enjoy seeing Mauer, Mourneau, Hunter, Bagwell, etc.

I’m sure I’ll go some - at the very least I need to keep building out my defunct minor league franchise list.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It is to us. But I didn’t not enjoy seeing Mauer, Mourneau, Hunter, Bagwell, etc.
I’m sure I’ll go some - at the very least I need to keep building out my defunct minor league franchise list.
I still brag about seeing Clemens in New Britain. But I listened to that Connecticut Sports podcast when the Yard Goats guy was on. He said that baseball wasn't the main reason people went to Yard Goat games. I'm hoping Athletic can create a similar vibe.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom