Hartford/Elm City Thread | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Hartford/Elm City Thread

Reaction Score
As well? I wouldn't be surprised if Hartford and the new team make HCFC change their name just so people don't get confused, or buy tickets to the wrong place. I still think it's silly to have a team call itself "Hartford" when they never played a game in the city, and are playing over ten miles away from it. Also, HCFC isn't professional or even semi-professional because the players aren't getting paid. They're more of a club team than anything else at this point. Maybe if the NPSL could get organized then it might be on the level of the USL, but until then, it will never be anything but that.

The NPSL is organized. You simply are ignorant and don’t understand the landscape.

The NPSL and PDL are fulfilling their missions for the level of soccer of which they play. They provide a place for college players to play in the offseason because college soccer is still run in a collosally stupid manner and near professionals to keep playing. It also provides managers and coaches another developmental opportunity.

If NPSL and PDL teams aspire to be something bigger then they can move up to USL D3 or D2 or NISA if that gets off the ground.

So please, keep posting and showing your own ignorance.

Reaction Score
The NPSL is organized. You simply are ignorant and don’t understand the landscape.

The NPSL and PDL are fulfilling their missions for the level of soccer of which they play. They provide a place for college players to play in the offseason because college soccer is still run in a collosally stupid manner and near professionals to keep playing. It also provides managers and coaches another developmental opportunity.

If NPSL and PDL teams aspire to be something bigger then they can move up to USL D3 or D2 or NISA if that gets off the ground.

So please, keep posting and showing your own ignorance.

Ignorance? You just proved my point about them being under the USL and a lower level of soccer?

Reaction Score
Ignorance? You just proved my point about them being under the USL and a lower level of soccer?

Who ever said they were equal. It’s clear that you know very little about the pyramid in this country.

Go to Wikipedia and educate yourself. You are too uninformed to argue with.

Reaction Score
Who ever said they were equal. It’s clear that you know very little about the pyramid in this country.

Go to Wikipedia and educate yourself. You are too uninformed to argue with.

Have you not been reading this entire thread? There are tons of people saying just that. Heck, you even said:

If Hartford were actually thinking big then they would lease the stadium to HCFC as well.

Why would they do that? It doesn't make any sense to lease the stadium to a lower level that plays on the same days as the USL.

Reaction Score
Have you not been reading this entire thread? There are tons of people saying just that. Heck, you even said:

Why would they do that? It doesn't make any sense to lease the stadium to a lower level that plays on the same days as the USL.

Ever heard of schedule deconfliction?

If they can get 25 games a year out of the facility instead of 16-28 or whatever then why wouldn’t they consider that?

We’re not talking about Wembley Stadium it the MetLife here. This is Hartford, and crappy Dillon Stsdium that we are talking about.

Reaction Score
Ever heard of schedule deconfliction?

If they can get 25 games a year out of the facility instead of 16-28 or whatever then why wouldn’t they consider that?

We’re not talking about Wembley Stadium it the MetLife here. This is Hartford, and crappy Dillon Stsdium that we are talking about.

You seem to forget that the USL team isn't going to be the only ones playing there. The city is also letting a bunch of the local high schools play games there and the Sports Science School will also being using the field for all of their games. Adding in another team would just make that harder to deal with, especially since Sarwar wanted to play in the stadium for free and wasn't really willing to put up any of his own money for improvements to the stadium. That's why HCFC wasn't chosen as the team to play there and the USL team was.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You seem to forget that the USL team isn't going to be the only ones playing there. The city is also letting a bunch of the local high schools play games there and the Sports Science School will also being using the field for all of their games. Adding in another team would just make that harder to deal with, especially since Sarwar wanted to play in the stadium for free and wasn't willing to put up any of his own money for improvements to the stadium. That's why HCFC wasn't chosen as the team to play there and the USL team was.

Your post is false.

Three Make A Pitch To Overhaul Dillon Stadium

Sarwar offered to spend $400,000 of his own money towards Dillon.

The NPSL season ends in July. It would be incredibly easy to make that work if they wanted to.

Reaction Score
Your post is false.

Three Make A Pitch To Overhaul Dillon Stadium

Sarwar offered to spend $400,000 of his own money towards Dillon.

The NPSL season ends in July. It would be incredibly easy to make that work if they wanted to.

$400k is nothing when you're talking about spending almost $12M to upgrade the stadium. That's barely 3% of the entire cost. Mandell and his USL team put up almost the entire cost of the upgrades for the stadium.

Reaction Score
$400k is nothing when you're talking about spending almost $12M to upgrade the stadium. That's barely 3% of the entire cost. Mandell and his USL team put up almost the entire cost of the upgrades for the stadium.

Again, the premise of your previous post was bogus.

Just shut up.

Considering a decent stadium cost more than 100M these days, I wouldn’t get too excited about 12M.

Reaction Score
Again, the premise of your previous post was bogus.

Just shut up.

Considering a decent stadium cost more than 100M these days, I wouldn’t get too excited about 12M.

It's only bogus because it proves that the USL is a better investment for the city than HCFC. Millions of dollars is being spent on a team that will actually play in Hartford. You're just mad that I actually knew what I was talking about and that $400k is a joke when we're talking about millions of dollars.

Reaction Score
It's only bogus because it proves that the USL is a better investment for the city than HCFC. Millions of dollars is being spent on a team that will actually play in Hartford. You're just mad that I actually knew what I was talking about and that $400k is a joke when we're talking about millions of dollars.

Investing in something that statistically will have a lifespan of less than 5 years is a smart investment?

You don’t know anything about what you are talking about and have been proven wrong at every turn.

You’re another stick and ball sport moron who thinks they have become a soccer expert.

Reaction Score
Investing in something that statistically will have a lifespan of less than 5 years is a smart investment?

You don’t know anything about what you are talking about and have been proven wrong at every turn.

You’re another stick and ball sport moron who thinks they have become a soccer expert.

Where have you proven me wrong? Everything you've tried to call me out on I've backed up with facts. Heck, you even helped me prove a lot of my points for me. Also, where are you getting your statistics about a "5 year lifespan"? Because, thanks to Wikipedia, I can prove that's a lie. Since 2013 there have been 42 teams in the USL, and only 6 of those teams no longer exist, 2 of the moved to lower leagues, and 1 was promoted to the MLS. So, now what were you saying about me not knowing what I'm talking about? I'm no expert but I at least educate myself on the things I'm talking about before I start typing about it.

Reaction Score
Well, while you guys argue, big day brewing on Wednesday

- USL Club announcement to be made around 11am
- HCFC playoff game @ Brooklyn at 7:30
- Elm City playoff game @ Cosmos B at unk time

Regardless how you feel about the NPSL, 2/4 playoff teams are from CT

Reaction Score
Where have you proven me wrong? Everything you've tried to call me out on I've backed up with facts. Heck, you even helped me prove a lot of my points for me. Also, where are you getting your statistics about a "5 year lifespan"? Because, thanks to Wikipedia, I can prove that's a lie. Since 2013 there have been 42 teams in the USL, and only 6 of those teams no longer exist, 2 of the moved to lower leagues, and 1 was promoted to the MLS. So, now what were you saying about me not knowing what I'm talking about? I'm no expert but I at least educate myself on the things I'm talking about before I start typing about it.

You said he didn’t intend use his own money and were proven wrong.

You thought that the NPSL didn’t have its stuff together with zero understand of the league’s mission in the pyramid.

There is no such thing as a 4th or even 3rd tier of pro soccer in the US because at present there are only two professional leagues.

So come back to me when you understand what is what.

Reaction Score
Well, while you guys argue, big day brewing on Wednesday

- USL Club announcement to be made around 11am
- HCFC playoff game @ Brooklyn at 7:30
- Elm City playoff game @ Cosmos B at unk time

Regardless how you feel about the NPSL, 2/4 playoff teams are from CT

That is something to be proud of especially with the amount of teams that are in the league. I will never say that we shouldn't be proud to have these team representing the state. I just think it's silly that a team that has nothing to do with the city of Hartford is using the name to promote itself.

Reaction Score
You said he didn’t intend use his own money and were proven wrong.

You thought that the NPSL didn’t have its stuff together with zero understand of the league’s mission in the pyramid.

There is no such thing as a 4th or even 3rd tier of pro soccer in the US because at present there are only two professional leagues.

So come back to me when you understand what is what.

I said what money he put up was considered nothing when you compare that to what Mandell is investing and paying to actually have his team play in Hartford. A one time $400k payment is nothing when Mandell agreed to pay that mush per year to have his team play in Hartford. He's also investing $6M to $10M into buying a team to play in the stadium and he's paying his players $20k-$35k per season. The players will be making more than what it costs to get a franchise for the NPSL and to pay the leagues annual fee. Also, there are 3 tiers when you consider the fact that MLS is the top, the USL is the second tier, and then the NPSL third, and the fourth tier is the PDL. Yes, their are only two professional leagues, but there are levels that players go through to get to the professional ranks.

Reaction Score
I said what money he put up was considered nothing when you compare that to what Mandell is investing and paying to actually have his team play in Hartford. A one time $400k payment is nothing when Mandell agreed to pay that mush per year to have his team play in Hartford. He's also investing $6M to $10M into buying a team to play in the stadium and he's paying his players $20k-$35k per season. The players will be making more than what it costs to get a franchise for the NPSL and to pay the leagues annual fee. Also, there are 3 tiers when you consider the fact that MLS is the top, the USL is the second tier, and then the NPSL third, and the fourth tier is the PDL. Yes, their are only two professional leagues, but there are levels that players go through to get to the professional ranks.

NPSL is not the third tier since it is not a professional league just like PDL. Again,try educating yourself.

If it were professional then college players....

you complete the sentence.

Reaction Score
That is something to be proud of especially with the amount of teams that are in the league. I will never say that we shouldn't be proud to have these team representing the state. I just think it's silly that a team that has nothing to do with the city of Hartford is using the name to promote itself.

Well you look silly considering the team’s owner went to considerable lengths to get the team to play in Hartford.

Reaction Score
NPSL is not the third tier since it is not a professional league just like PDL. Again,try educating yourself.

If it were professional then college players....

you complete the sentence.

I never said it was a professional league, but it is a part of the system. Just like how Colleges, Junior leagues, Amateur leagues, and Semi-Pro Leagues in Canada and the US are considered a part of the system for Hockey in North America. Yes , the US Soccer Federation does officially have a fourth tier but the USA Soccer Association is considered to be the USSF's fourth tier. The NPSL, PDL, and the ASL are all leagues that are organized by the USASA to help players advance their skills and work they way to the higher tiers of the professional ranks.

Well you look silly considering the team’s owner went to considerable lengths to get the team to play in Hartford.

Honestly, he didn't really try. There are plenty of fields in Hartford that the team could have played at but for some reason he decided to put the in New Britain. He also didn't even try when it came to Dillon Stadium. He was only willing to put up a one time fee of $400k and a team that's worth maybe $25,000. Mandell is paying $400k a year and is bringing in a USL team worth about $6M. Why do you think they went with him instead of Sarwar? Like I said, the team has nothing to be ashamed of and we should be proud of everything they do. I will always think it's silly to have a team that's called "Hartford" when it's never played a single game in the city. You like to use the Jets/Giants to "prove" you point about how they use "New York" even thought they play in New Jersey, right? Well, there's just one problem with that. They've at least called that city home, unlike HCFC. The Jets played in New York from 1960-83 and the Giants played in New York from 1925-75 (minus the two years they played at the Yale Bowl). So, you can no long use them to "prove your point".

Reaction Score
Washington Redskins, Dallas Cowboys, Phoenix Cardinals, Los Angeles Angels, Los Angeles Galaxy, Chicago Fire, Atlanta Braves, etc. Somebody better inform these widely known, far more professional franchises they must move! When I went to UConn's 2011 Fiesta Bowl game, it's a good thing we drove to Glendale, a suburb west of Phoenix versus the latter itself.

Reaction Score
I never said it was a professional league, but it is a part of the system. Just like how Colleges, Junior leagues, Amateur leagues, and Semi-Pro Leagues in Canada and the US are considered a part of the system for Hockey in North America. Yes , the US Soccer Federation does officially have a fourth tier but the USA Soccer Association is considered to be the USSF's fourth tier. The NPSL, PDL, and the ASL are all leagues that are organized by the USASA to help players advance their skills and work they way to the higher tiers of the professional ranks.

Honestly, he didn't really try. There are plenty of fields in Hartford that the team could have played at but for some reason he decided to put the in New Britain. He also didn't even try when it came to Dillon Stadium. He was only willing to put up a one time fee of $400k and a team that's worth maybe $25,000. Mandell is paying $400k a year and is bringing in a USL team worth about $6M. Why do you think they went with him instead of Sarwar? Like I said, the team has nothing to be ashamed of and we should be proud of everything they do. I will always think it's silly to have a team that's called "Hartford" when it's never played a single game in the city. You like to use the Jets/Giants to "prove" you point about how they use "New York" even thought they play in New Jersey, right? Well, there's just one problem with that. They've at least called that city home, unlike HCFC. The Jets played in New York from 1960-83 and the Giants played in New York from 1925-75 (minus the two years they played at the Yale Bowl). So, you can no long use them to "prove your point".

You’re getting kind of weird now. I’m out.

Reaction Score
Washington Redskins, Dallas Cowboys, Phoenix Cardinals, Los Angeles Angels, Los Angeles Galaxy, Chicago Fire, Atlanta Braves, etc. Somebody better inform these widely known, far more professional franchises they must move! When I went to UConn's 2011 Fiesta Bowl game, it's a good thing we drove to Glendale, a suburb west of Phoenix versus the latter itself.

But New Britain isn't a suburb, it is it's own separate city almost 15 miles away from Hartford. The Cardinals changed their name to the Arizona Cardinals because people complained about them not playing in Phoenix. All of the other teams you mentioned actually played in the cities that they use other than the "Chicago Fire" which is more of a phrase than anything else. Sarwar just bought a name and never really tried to even get the team to have it's home in Hartford. He just assumed that someone would just be glad to house his team and wasn't even willing to spend the money to rent a field.

Reaction Score
But New Britain isn't a suburb, it is it's own separate city almost 15 miles away from Hartford. The Cardinals changed their name to the Arizona Cardinals because people complained about them not playing in Phoenix. All of the other teams you mentioned actually played in the cities that they use other than the "Chicago Fire" which is more of a phrase than anything else. Sarwar just bought a name and never really tried to even get the team to have it's home in Hartford. He just assumed that someone would just be glad to house his team and wasn't even willing to spend the money to rent a field.
That is all true. That said...

This is a perfect example of provincial New England thinking. Chicago has businesses 50 miles outside the city named Chicago this or that. Same with Atlanta. New Britain is for all practical purposes a suburb of Hartford, it is part of Hartford Metro, it is measured in the Hartford SMSA. The San Francisco 49ers play in a stadium 50 miles from downtown SF. Ever go a New York Giants game? Team names are a function of how a team wants to be recognized.

Reaction Score
He loves arguing semantics, it's his MO. Everything he's posting is irrelevant anyways since he won't be supporting the club because it's most likely blue & green color scheme. Just ignore him.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom