Hartford/Elm City Thread | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Hartford/Elm City Thread

Reaction Score
NPSL is semi pro, who cares?
HCFC fans?

But there are NPSL teams that outdraw USL. Not even debateable.
If you're talking about NPSL's most successful teams vs. USL's least successful teams, then you would be right. Then again, we're comparing a D4 semi pro league with 90+ teams to a D2 pro league with 30+ teams. As you said, it's "not even debatable." ;)

Reaction Score
HCFC fans?

If you're talking about NPSL's most successful teams vs. USL's least successful teams, then you would be right. Then again, we're comparing a D4 semi pro league with 90+ teams to a D2 pro league with 30+ teams. As you said, it's "not even debatable." ;)

It’s amazing that it took you that long to reach that conclusion.

USL is only D2 by default anyways. It’s not like many of those teams actually met USSF criteria.

Reaction Score
USL is only D2 by default anyways. It’s not like many of those teams actually met USSF criteria.
Your hatred for a successful D2 league is rather cute. So we've already established you hate the USL, minor league soccer, and everything else under the sun. What are you doing here then? No wait, let me guess...slow day in KC?

Reaction Score
Your hatred for a successful D2 league is rather cute. So we've already established you hate the USL, minor league soccer, and everything else under the sun. What are you doing here then? No wait, let me guess...slow day in KC?

Am I right or wrong? Why did the USSF selectively apply the D2 standards?

Reaction Score
Am I right or wrong? Why did the USSF selectively apply the D2 standards?
Figures of you would trying deflecting the question.

Maybe the USL met all the requirements set forth by the USSF for D2 sanctioning? It's not rocket science.

Reaction Score
Figures of you would trying deflecting the question.

Maybe the USL met all the requirements set forth by the USSF for D2 sanctioning? It's not rocket science.

Actually I’m not the one that’s deflecting. USL is where it is because the USSF picked the winners.

The USL didn’t actually meet the requirements. There was a whole lawsuit about this. You should study up.

Reaction Score
I’m not pro/rel. NASL met them to the same degree USL did.
Yet one league is playing this year and the other isn't. Obviously NASL didn't have what it takes to be a D2 league. They were granted provisional D2 status for 2017 allowing them time to get their s*** together...which never happened.

Reaction Score
Yet one league is playing this year and the other isn't. Obviously NASL didn't have what it takes to be a D2 league. They were granted provisional D2 status for 2017 allowing them time to get their s*** together...which never happened.

That’s because the USSF picked the winners.

Reaction Score
I mean if they tell a league to get to a number of teams and then threaten their sanctioning then why wouldn’t a bunch of teams jump ship?
Jump from the safety and security of the USL to the unstable mess known as NASL? The answer to that should be self explanatory.

Teams like Indy Eleven and North Carolina FC leaving NASL is also self explanatory.

Reaction Score
Jump from the safety and security of the USL to the unstable mess known as NASL? The answer to that should be self explanatory.

Teams like Indy Eleven and North Carolina FC leaving NASL is also self explanatory.

Indy Eleven didn’t leave until after the court ruling and it is probably dead after this season.

Most of the instability was fomented by the USSF. That’s not even a matter of opinion.

Reaction Score
I’m not pro/rel. NASL met them to the same degree USL did.
I don’t have a horse in this race but i’m curious how you determined the degree to which they met the requirements. I understand they included a minimum number of teams, geographical coverage and then a bunch of requirements for each team (minimum financing, stadium size, number of full-time staff, etc.). I know the NASL never met the first two much less having each team comply. I know the USL met the first two (by a wide margin) but perhaps not all were compliant. However, did they have enough so that even if they started to weed off the weaker clubs they’d still more than meet the number and geographical standards? If so, and they required meeting the standards for all new clubs while committing to cut clubs that didn’t comply within a certain time period (have they?), then I’d probably go with that league too. Of course that’s all based on guesswork since I don’t know the status of of the individual clubs.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I don't care about the NASL/USL fight either. However, if the USL is going to be 30+ teams large, why not implement Pro/Rel in the league and split the league in 2. Can't imagine 30+ teams is a real league, plus it adds interest into minor league soccer.

Reaction Score
There is no USL/NASL fight - as it stands, one cancelled their 2018 season and the other is consistently growing with the backing of USSF.

Reaction Score
I don’t have a horse in this race but i’m curious how you determined the degree to which they met the requirements. I understand they included a minimum number of teams, geographical coverage and then a bunch of requirements for each team (minimum financing, stadium size, number of full-time staff, etc.). I know the NASL never met the first two much less having each team comply. I know the USL met the first two (by a wide margin) but perhaps not all were compliant. However, did they have enough so that even if they started to weed off the weaker clubs they’d still more than meet the number and geographical standards? If so, and they required meeting the standards for all new clubs while committing to cut clubs that didn’t comply within a certain time period (have they?), then I’d probably go with that league too. Of course that’s all based on guesswork since I don’t know the status of of the individual clubs.

NASL and USL were different flavors. NASL was focused on championships and competition and the USL was focused on becoming a farm system for MLS.

The NASL was born out of some bigger clubs that were fed up with the USL/A League and wanted to get to a higher level of professionalism and mirror how leagues are run outside of the US. Some of these clubs actually ended up as expansion teams in MLS.

The NASL was offered the deal that MLS has given USL now but they declined because they wanted to go in another direction. Some of it was good, some of it like challenging the MLS and trying to force an AFL/NFL style merger was a bit self destructive in my opinion and that is probably why they don't exist anymore. They made the wrong enemies.

In the meantime they raised the bar and in response the USL stepped up their game and gained traction. Minnesota got picked up as an expansion team. The San Antonio Scorpions got sold to the San Antonio Spurs who only cared about getting into the MLS and cutting costs so they downgraded the team and moved to USL.

In the meantime NASL was getting D2 status on a yearly basis. They wanted to get it 2-3 years at a time in order to attract owners who were looking for more stability. If the NASL hadn't been given D2 sanctioning in '17 then Rocco Commiso probably wouldn't have bought the Cosmos.

The NASL barrier to entry was higher than USL and if they had been given a bit more stability in sanctioning many people think that they could have attracted better owners.

For '18 there were supposed to be at least two expansion teams in California. One in San Diego and one called Cal FC that Eric Wynalda was going to manage.

In the meantime most of the USL's "growth" has been through MLS2 sides. These teams have neither fanbases or identities. It would be like UConn Football sending the Practice Squad to a D3 Conference and calling it a new program. So much of this is smoke and mirrors.

The USL also is rumored to have blackballed any team staffer from working in the USL if they took a job in the NASL. And they have offered cash to NPSL teams to switch to PDL.

So in summary, NASL made some strategic mistakes, but the USSF doing what it could to shut down a league is a pretty bad look. The D2 sanctioning is somewhat worthless. It merely influences seeding in the US Open Cup.

I think think this MLS basically taking control of pro soccer from end to end like MLB, NBA, NFL. They don't want any outliers or organizations that have a different vision/model.

Reaction Score
I don't care about the NASL/USL fight either. However, if the USL is going to be 30+ teams large, why not implement Pro/Rel in the league and split the league in 2. Can't imagine 30+ teams is a real league, plus it adds interest into minor league soccer.

30+ teams is too big. I think they will have to split to a 3rd division. USL also has plans to launch a 3rd Division League like NISA. NISA is probably dead though.

Reaction Score
The USL has somehow made it's way into ESPN.com's headlining box scores today.

Reaction Score
Note to self, it's "not about the suits." lol

30180691_231838880893629_1154696776_n.png

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99