Hartford Athletic - 2021 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hartford Athletic - 2021

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That's what I mean. That RI franchise can choose to affiliate itself with the Revs.
This is what talking out of one's ass looks like.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
A bunch of teams fixing to leave the USL. Details emerge for new MLS minor league planned for ’22
Is that this? Can't read it because it's behind a paywall and Outline doesn't work.

If it is....this whole country is so backwards when it comes to soccer. It's like it is trying to shoot itself in the foot so it can't successfully grow....

"Oh interest is growing and we seem to see growth in the USL markets!"

MLS: "Stop this! We must not let interest grow in other areas so let's create another league that will diminish interest in all leagues!"

"But that will hurt growth in all soccer interest and growth of players"

MLS: "We don't care!! We just want our money and no one can interfere with us."

SMH.....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, too many non-fans equate the MLS with "American Soccer." The MLS is based on one tenet, pay players as little as possible.

Reaction Score
Is that this? Can't read it because it's behind a paywall and Outline doesn't work.

If it is....this whole country is so backwards when it comes to soccer. It's like it is trying to shoot itself in the foot so it can't successfully grow....

"Oh interest is growing and we seem to see growth in the USL markets!"

MLS: "Stop this! We must not let interest grow in other areas so let's create another league that will diminish interest in all leagues!"

"But that will hurt growth in all soccer interest and growth of players"

MLS: "We don't care!! We just want our money and no one can interfere with us."

SMH.....

MLS is mind blowingly strange. They forged this thing with USL and made them a vassal state. They put these reserve teams who have no fans into the league. And now this.

MLS wants a minor league structure. That’s not in line with what the USL wants. Dance with the devil...,

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
MLS wants a minor league structure. That’s not in line with what the USL wants. Dance with the devil...,
Admittedly, I don't know the inside skinny. But I think the USL will be fine. I get the feeling they know what they are doing and indy teams are so much more attractive to a community. Two new USL Championship teams are starting next year within 2 hours of Hartford. They don't need those MLS II teams anymore.

Reaction Score
This is what talking out of one's ass looks like.
If you read, MLS wants minor league teams in markets other than their own. No MLS II team names. Duh.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
If you read, MLS wants minor league teams in markets other than their own. No MLS II team names. Duh.
Actually, the ESPN article said that the new league was going to have these new league teams play at the parent club stadiums. So they actually wouldn't be any new markets. They said that they hope they can expand into new markets after they start up. I believe I read that correctly....

MLS-operated teams in the new league are expected to play either at the MLS stadium or at a smaller venue in relatively close proximity, as is the case now with the teams playing in USL. Over time, it's possible some MLS teams could choose to base their second team in a different media market in an attempt to expand their reach. I

Reaction Score

Actually, the ESPN article said that the new league was going to have these new league teams play at the parent club stadiums. So they actually wouldn't be any new markets. They said that they hope they can expand into new markets after they start up. I believe I read that correctly....
If RI agrees to pay $40+ million to build a new stadium that will host 10 games per year of a third division farm team for the Revs then the state should be dissolved. The MLS teams have focused their efforts on cost reduction and shared resources with the parent. Attendance has generally been miserable as it is clear that these are not much more than development academy games with little concern for building a winner. Philadelphia used to have their USL reserve team play in Bethlehem before moving them to Philly (Chester) to save $$. Even the ones that don't share a facility use a lesser stadium in the same market (RB II in Montclair, Loudoun out near Dulles, Tacoma, Salt Lake plays in the parent's training ground, Atlanta plays at a suburban college, etc.). The exception is NYFC and San Antonio, but I don't see much evidence that model will grow. The new league, sanctioned at Division III will undoubtedly continue with MLS cost-controlled, shared resource development model.

Reaction Score
MLS minor league will be 3rd on the pyramid. USL will remain 2nd.

My fault.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
If RI agrees to pay $40+ million to build a new stadium that will host 10 games per year of a third division farm team for the Revs then the state should be dissolved. The MLS teams have focused their efforts on cost reduction and shared resources with the parent. Attendance has generally been miserable as it is clear that these are not much more than development academy games with little concern for building a winner. Philadelphia used to have their USL reserve team play in Bethlehem before moving them to Philly (Chester) to save $$. Even the ones that don't share a facility use a lesser stadium in the same market (RB II in Montclair, Loudoun out near Dulles, Tacoma, Salt Lake plays in the parent's training ground, Atlanta plays at a suburban college, etc.). The exception is NYFC and San Antonio, but I don't see much evidence that model will grow. The new league, sanctioned at Division III will undoubtedly continue with MLS cost-controlled, shared resource development model.
The article even said the same about development vs winning. Saying that USL teams not linked with a MLS club were actually playing to win and be competitive while MLS 2 clubs were not. I'm not sure where MLS sees this league developing somewhere. I think it's going to be a waste but they wanna do them.

I think the USL should be fine but tbh, I don't know how many USL clubs are linked to this move out....I know the obvious like RB 2 but not sure if any teams not named that are involved and what USL would look like then.

I'm glad that USL will have teams that are there to win and not just develop players. It's the one part about Minor League baseball that stinks. You can cheer for the Yard Goats but it doesn't really matter if they win or not....

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My not positive count has 8 MSL II teams out of 31. Looks like 2 new teams next year. Pawtucket the year after that. I had thought they were next year.

Reaction Score

Nobody cares about these reserve teams. If they get 500 people at a game it’s a miracle.

Reaction Score
Admittedly, I don't know the inside skinny. But I think the USL will be fine. I get the feeling they know what they are doing and indy teams are so much more attractive to a community. Two new USL Championship teams are starting next year within 2 hours of Hartford. They don't need those MLS II teams anymore.

Yeah, I think this is all about MLS attempting to suppress the cost of labor.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Hartford wins again on the road and one of their players was picked for the Olympics. Good for him but then Athletic loses their top goal scorer.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sorry @Butch, it looks like it's official!

1626187571176.png

Reaction Score
Screw the Hartford sports scene. Barely any creativity.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Screw the Hartford sports scene. Barely any creativity.
I was going to pick one up for you with my 15% off discount card. So that's a no?

Reaction Score
I was going to pick one up for you with my 15% off discount card. So that's a no?
Give it to someone poor. But you can also take that money and buy the poor person a better shirt.

Imagine Hartford Athletic going neon green and navy blue. Even that is better than the same colors as the damn Whalers. Raleigh is a bigger market than Hartford-New Haven now. Boston is now the 10th largest metropolis. Was 6th not long ago.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
The free Hartford jazz festival is this weekend. Excellent line-up! They are green and blue as well! You are too young to be such a curmudgeon.

1626193832606.png

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
In case you missed it, Athletic went down to Tampa Bay and beat the division leader last night for the "signature" win they've been looking for. If you like your teams to leave it all on the field, you'll like Hartford.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That score was on espn.com. Take the Whalers flag off my hands, for God's sake!

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Give it to someone poor. But you can also take that money and buy the poor person a better shirt.

Imagine Hartford Athletic going neon green and navy blue. Even that is better than the same colors as the damn Whalers. Raleigh is a bigger market than Hartford-New Haven now. Boston is now the 10th largest metropolis. Was 6th not long ago.
Trying to parse out your point here. Is it that Blue and Green made Raleigh grow and Boston shrink?

Reaction Score
Fantastic game last night. Tampa was so frustrated as virtually every time they brought the ball downfield in the last 15 minutes they ended up with a chance in the box. Jeff Caldwell played a great game and the defense, while unable to prevent the Rowdies from advancing packed in around the goal and threw themselves in front of shots.

BTW, the Rowdies showed no originality as they used the same green and yellow color scheme of the old NASL Rowdies nearly 50 years ago. I think the ill-fated MLS team also used those colors. I wonder if the fans of Tampa Bay are embarassed by the old name and colors. I doubt it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom