Hartford Athletic - 2021 | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hartford Athletic - 2021

Reaction Score
Fantastic game last night. Tampa was so frustrated as virtually every time they brought the ball downfield in the last 15 minutes they ended up with a chance in the box. Jeff Caldwell played a great game and the defense, while unable to prevent the Rowdies from advancing packed in around the goal and threw themselves in front of shots.

BTW, the Rowdies showed no originality as they used the same green and yellow color scheme of the old NASL Rowdies nearly 50 years ago. I think the ill-fated MLS team also used those colors. I wonder if the fans of Tampa Bay are embarassed by the old name and colors. I doubt it.
That's still originality. You see then taking on the colors of the Bucs, Rays or Bolts? The Mutiny didn't wear yellow or green.

You saying franchises (or brands) that existed for 50 years and never changed their own original colors should be embarrassed?

This is futile.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's still originality. You see then taking on the colors of the Bucs, Rays or Bolts? The Mutiny didn't wear yellow or green.

You saying franchises (or brands) that existed for 50 years and never changed their own original colors should be embarrassed?

This is futile.
You think this version of the Rowdies is the same "franchise (or brand)" as the 70s version? They simply took the name, logo and colors of a team that hadn't existed for 17 years and played in a far different league with vastly different management, facilities, players, etc. You have a very strange definition of originality.

As for the Mutiny, they used the Rowdies colors and logo on their special occasions kit. Maybe only using it some of the time makes it original.

Mutiny third kit

HA may have chosen to use the same colors, but they in no way pretend to be successors to an earlier team with which they have no connection. Futhermore, I think their home kit is excellent.

Edit: Although the Mutiny had all sorts of (mostly ugly) jerseys in their short history, the cover of their inaugural season Media Guide shows they weren't as "original" as you'd like to believe: Inaugural TB Mutiny Season Original is apparently adding blue trim to green and yellow.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I give up. Enjoy your Hartford Whalers Athletic FC.

At least Hartford City FC was able to be creative. Too bad 4th on the pyramid. Horseface logo is a little weird.

Reaction Score
Fantastic game last night. Tampa was so frustrated as virtually every time they brought the ball downfield in the last 15 minutes they ended up with a chance in the box. Jeff Caldwell played a great game and the defense, while unable to prevent the Rowdies from advancing packed in around the goal and threw themselves in front of shots.

BTW, the Rowdies showed no originality as they used the same green and yellow color scheme of the old NASL Rowdies nearly 50 years ago. I think the ill-fated MLS team also used those colors. I wonder if the fans of Tampa Bay are embarassed by the old name and colors. I doubt it.

That’s kind of an ignorant comment. For one the current Rowdies have been playing since 2010. For two the fans love it. They have been one of the most stable and popular independent clubs in lower division soccer since they came back in the second NASL.

The Timbers, the Sounders and the Whitecaps did the same exact thing.

The Mutiny did some throwback stuff to the Rowdies because the Rowdies name obviously still had some clout locally.

Reaction Score
That’s kind of an ignorant comment. For one the current Rowdies have been playing since 2010. For two the fans love it. They have been one of the most stable and popular independent clubs in lower division soccer since they came back in the second NASL.

The Timbers, the Sounders and the Whitecaps did the same exact thing.

The Mutiny did some throwback stuff to the Rowdies because the Rowdies name obviously still had some clout locally.
Wow, someone should obtain context before declaring comments ignorant. You'll notice that I said I doubted the Rowdies fans were embarrassed by the use of a 50 year old team identity - and that's precisely because it has a local history. The discussion was in response to claims that the Athletic (and, in earlier discussions, the Yard Goats) were unoriginal and somehow we fans should be embarrassed or think less of them because they adopted the Whalers colors. Yet the same guy declared in so many words that outright copying of an entire identity by the Rowdies was original. Talk about hypocrisy. I actually have no problem with the Rowdies use of the name, design or everything else, but lets not call that original or creative and why attack the local squad for far less? As you cited, teams do it when certain elements (be it name, mascot, logo or just colors) have local recognition. In this case the local teams are each building their own identity that extends far beyond a color scheme. That's certainly more creative than the latest iteration of the Rowdies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I give up. Enjoy your Hartford Whalers Athletic FC.

At least Hartford City FC was able to be creative. Too bad 4th on the pyramid. Horseface logo is a little weird.
I have no idea what you consider creative. If you actually followed Athletic, you would see plenty of creative promotions. More importantly, they've put together a fun, winning team. But haters gotta hate.

Reaction Score
I have no idea what you consider creative. If you actually followed Athletic, you would see plenty of creative promotions. More importantly, they've put together a fun, winning team. But haters gotta hate.
Don't some Athletic fans wear Whalers merch?

I rest my case, thank you. Ever see Tormenta FC's logo and colors? Same town as Georgia Southern, right? This is hopeless.

You keep talking about hate. Sorry I hate Hartford Athletic's sports marketing. Let's memorialize the worst time in Hartford's history.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I rest my case, thank you. Ever see Tormenta FC's logo and colors? Same town as Georgia Southern, right? This is hopeless.

You keep talking about hate. Sorry I hate Hartford Athletic's sports marketing. Let's memorialize the worst time in Hartford's history.

I see people in Missouri wearing Whalers stuff. The colors are fresh. The logo is classic. It’s easily one of the best logos in sports.

Reaction Score
I see people in Missouri wearing Whalers stuff. The colors are fresh. The logo is classic. It’s easily one of the best logos in sports.
The Whalers had amongst the best hockey jerseys for their whole run. I personally prefer the silver being added. The home white jersey from that period is one of the best ever.

People need to learn to move on and be creative. This green and blue worship by one of the oldest "settlements" in the whole of North America, apart from Mexico and the Caribbean, is so weak.

The Athletic play at the site of an ancient Dutch fort. Could have easily created an identity, including colors, around that. It's a blown opportunity to express and exhibit the depth of the history of the city.

Reaction Score
The Whalers had amongst the best hockey jerseys for their whole run. I personally prefer the silver being added. The home white jersey from that period is one of the best ever.

People need to learn to move on and be creative. This green and blue worship by one of the oldest "settlements" in the whole of North America, apart from Mexico and the Caribbean, is so weak.

The Athletic play at the site of an ancient Dutch fort. Could have easily created an identity, including colors, around that. It's a blown opportunity to express and exhibit the depth of the history of the city.

No I don’t. I like the logo and the colors. You don’t get to tell people what they should like.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I honestly do not see much Whaler merch. And the worst time in Hartford's history was not when it had a major league franchise. It was the best in my lifetime.

Reaction Score
No I don’t. I like the logo and the colors. You don’t get to tell people what they should like.
Stop approving of carpet bombing people, OK? That's not a nice thing to do.

Reaction Score
I honestly do not see much Whaler merch. And the worst time in Hartford's history was not when it had a major league franchise. It was the best in my lifetime.
I meant for the city itself, not your trips to Whalers and UConn games. You live in Hartford? Used to hear gunshots when in Bridgeport in the late 90s.

Reaction Score
ZooCougar and Butch need to get a room. The tension between 'em is off the charts!
showdown-part-2-puts-sam-and-diane-on-boil-1609277504.jpg

Reaction Score
Oakland just might end up being the most screwed city when it comes to pro sports. Maybe the Oakland Roots should change their colors to match the Raiders.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Orange

Top Bottom