Hamier Wright to Washington | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hamier Wright to Washington

Reaction Score
Yes I think at some point the number one pick in this year's draft was being recruited by Chill.

That got his recruited team to 9 wins. I'm missing all the hype from a guy who came from a garabage team.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You got a nice bitchslap from Fishy this weekend, and it was well deserved

Of all the stuff you emit, this has to be a top 10 in the ridiculous column
Bitchslap?
Flounders can't bitchslap
If they could, I doubt that Mau would even flinch
so - to quote Fishy - JUST STOP

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
That got his recruited team to 9 wins. I'm missing all the hype from a guy who came from a garabage team.
I think recruiting the future #1 draft pick deserves a bit of hype
If you don't then you need to rethink - not talking about team production but talent recognition and the ability to sign them up
Chills has a HUGE reputation for this nationwide

Reaction Score
I think recruiting the future #1 draft pick deserves a bit of hype
If you don't then you need to rethink - not talking about team production but talent recognition and the ability to sign them up
Chills has a HUGE reputation for this nationwide

I'm sure the Washington fans would disagree after being 9-22 and going through a 13 game losing streak.. Sorry I'm about the team winning not having the #1 pick in draft. Its all about team production - bottom line.

Talent recognition.... lol, you make it sound like Fultz was an unknown, everyone recognized this kids talent. 9 win team makes me think he has a hard time recognizing talent.

Like to see that HUGE reputation actually yield some results.

Reaction Score
Talent recognition.... lol, you make it sound like Fultz was an unknown, everyone recognized this kids talent. 9 win team makes me think he has a hard time recognizing talent.
Actually Chillious first started recruiting him when he was a 5-9 sophomore playing for his high school's JV team. Nobody knew about him at that point. See the story below. It's a classic recruiting story. I'd say that's good talent recognition.

Chillious, by recruiting rules, couldn't talk to Fultz that evening, but he knew he had to get him to go to Washington.

"By halftime, I was all in," Chillious said. "I called back to Washington and I told [coach Lorenzo Romar], 'You're going to call me crazy, but I just saw this 5-foot-9 kid on JV who looks like he's going to grow and if he grows, he's not going to be an NBAplayer, he's going to be an NBA All-Star.'"

Two years later, Fultz was on the varsity team and considered the No.1 recruit in the Class of 2016. Chillious got him, and after one season at Washington, Fultz is 6-4 and now expected to be the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, with the Celtics first on the clock.

Chillious Can See Fultz Fitting In Perfectly With Celtics

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Actually Chillious first started recruiting him when he was a 5-9 sophomore playing for his high school's JV team. Nobody knew about him at that point. See the story below. It's a classic recruiting story. I'd say that's good talent recognition.

Chillious, by recruiting rules, couldn't talk to Fultz that evening, but he knew he had to get him to go to Washington.

"By halftime, I was all in," Chillious said. "I called back to Washington and I told [coach Lorenzo Romar], 'You're going to call me crazy, but I just saw this 5-foot-9 kid on JV who looks like he's going to grow and if he grows, he's not going to be an NBAplayer, he's going to be an NBA All-Star.'"

Two years later, Fultz was on the varsity team and considered the No.1 recruit in the Class of 2016. Chillious got him, and after one season at Washington, Fultz is 6-4 and now expected to be the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, with the Celtics first on the clock.

Good stuff man. Thanks for sharing and educating me. But still confused how the team was so bad.

Reaction Score

Is his entire reputation based off Fultz though? That certainly was a great find by him.

But who else is on his resume?

I'm not doubting him or knocking him for failing to land anyone during the mad scramble of the last two months. Although it is a little disheartening that he couldn't bring Harris or Mamadou 2 to UConn.

Just curious where this "huge reputation" comes from. As many have noted, Washington stunk when he was there.

Should also be noted that Chillious needed a job. Romar just got fired. Its not like we just stole this guy from Bill Self's staff. Doesn't mean its not a good hire. But some context is helpful.

Reaction Score
Is his entire reputation based off Fultz though? That certainly was a great find by him.

But who else is on his resume?

I'm not doubting him or knocking him for failing to land anyone during the mad scramble of the last two months. Although it is a little disheartening that he couldn't bring Harris or Mamadou 2 to UConn.

Just curious where this "huge reputation" comes from. As many have noted, Washington stunk when he was there.

Should also be noted that Chillious needed a job. Romar just got fired. Its not like we just stole this guy from Bill Self's staff. Doesn't mean its not a good hire. But some context is helpful.

Isaiah Thomas for one... yes, the one who is a current star for the Boston Celtics

Also credited for helping Josh Boone develop his game to an NBA-caliber level back in his time at West Nottingham Academy in Maryland. Josh Boone's words, not mine.

Here are two excerpts from article right after he was hired:

Chillious has been credited as the key to Washington’s highly-rated recruiting classes in the past few years, particularly the No. 7-ranked class in 2015, as well as last season’s freshman class, which included Top 10 national recruit Markelle Fultz. He already feels familiar with UConn.

and
Chillious is no stranger to the state of Connecticut, having spent five years (2003-2008) as the head basketball coach and co-athletic director at South Kent School (South Kent, Conn.), where he coached current Boston Celtics star Isaiah Thomas, as well as NBA players Dorrell Wright, Andray Blatche, and Dion Waiters. Even before he arrived at South Kent, Chillious coached former UConn star Josh Boone at West Nottingham Academy (Colora, Md.).

Being cited as "the key" to procuring the #7 recruiting class to the University of Washington in 2015, a school that has never been known as a basketball school, is objectively impressive. So is his development of the different players at South Kent during his time there. Both Dorrell Wright and Andray Blatche seemingly came out of nowhere, and he helped them both get drafted in the 1st round.

Last edited:

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Washington had two one and dones last year, including the 4th pick in the draft. That being said, his players don't win games. We'll have to see what happens this year.

Reaction Score
Washington had two one and dones last year, including the 4th pick in the draft. That being said, his players don't win games. We'll have to see what happens this year.
It's a valid concern. Recruiting is only good if it helps you win. Getting good players who don't win doesn't do us any good.

Reaction Score

It's a valid concern. Recruiting is only good if it helps you win. Getting good players who don't win doesn't do us any good.

Yes, except for one thing. You guys make declarative statements like "his players don't win games"... like that is true 100% of the time.

Except that Isaiah Thomas is by far the biggest reason the Celtics were the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference this year, and made it to the Eastern Conference finals. Is he not a winner? Of course the answer is yes.

You guys love to do this cut and paste stuff to fit your narrative. Highlight the things that support your view, and conveniently leave out anything that doesn't... when the full truth is: there are some players he has recruited and/or he has coached who are winners, and some are not.

I find it amusing that you both also leave out the fact that for quite some time that the general consensus in college basketball circles is that Lorenzo Romar is a coach who was better at recruiting then his in-game coaching. Since I do not remember Chillious actually coaching a single game for the University of Washington last year (or any other year he was there), how exactly are you even hinting that the majority of the blame for their 9-22 season and 13 game losing streak on him? With that being said, I agree with RJ Scootin that it is puzzling as to why the wheels came off for them last year...

And then there is this - a part of his bio from his time at Villanova:

Chillious played a key role in tutoring the guards at Washington - including two-time All-Pac 10 performer Isaiah Thomas - and helped coach the team to a 26-10 record and NCAA Sweet 16 appearance in his first year in Seattle, followed by a 24-11 season and second consecutive Pac-10 Tournament championship in 2011. He also established his ability to recruit a the top high school and junior college level assisting Romar in landing acclaimed 2010 and 2011 classes.

OOPS... guess whomever wrote this factual history about him does not know crap about basketball compared to you two though.

Reaction Score
Yes, except for one thing. You guys make declarative statements like "his players don't win games"... like that is true 100% of the time.

Except that Isaiah Thomas is by far the biggest reason the Celtics were the #1 seed in the Eastern Conference this year, and made it to the Eastern Conference finals. Is he not a winner? Of course the answer is yes.

You guys love to do this cut and paste stuff to fit your narrative. Highlight the things that support your view, and conveniently leave out anything that doesn't... when the full truth is: there are some players he has recruited and/or he has coached who are winners, and some are not.

I find it amusing that you both also leave out the fact that for quite some time that the general consensus in college basketball circles is that Lorenzo Romar is a coach who was better at recruiting then his in-game coaching. Since I do not remember Chillious actually coaching a single game for the University of Washington last year (or any other year he was there), how exactly are you even hinting that the majority of the blame for their 9-22 season and 13 game losing streak on him? With that being said, I agree with RJ Scootin that it is puzzling as to why the wheels came off for them last year...

Chillious played a key role in tutoring the guards at Washington - including two-time All-Pac 10 performer Isaiah Thomas - and helped coach the team to a 26-10 record and NCAA Sweet 16 appearance in his first year in Seattle, followed by a 24-11 season and second consecutive Pac-10 Tournament championship in 2011. He also established his ability to recruit a the top high school and junior college level assisting Romar in landing acclaimed 2010 and 2011 classes.

OOPS... guess whomever wrote this factual history about him does not know crap about basketball compared to you two though.
Not sure why you're calling me out. I just said it's a valid concern when supposedly good recruiting doesn't translate to wins. I wasn't saying it was Chillious's fault Washington didn't win. I don't follow that team closely enough to know why they didn't win with such good players.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Isaiah Thomas for one... yes, the one who is a current star for the Boston Celtics

Also credited for helping Josh Boone develop his game to an NBA-caliber level back in his time at West Nottingham Academy in Maryland. Josh Boone's words, not mine.

Here are two excerpts from article right after he was hired:

Chillious has been credited as the key to Washington’s highly-rated recruiting classes in the past few years, particularly the No. 7-ranked class in 2015, as well as last season’s freshman class, which included Top 10 national recruit Markelle Fultz. He already feels familiar with UConn.

and
Chillious is no stranger to the state of Connecticut, having spent five years (2003-2008) as the head basketball coach and co-athletic director at South Kent School (South Kent, Conn.), where he coached current Boston Celtics star Isaiah Thomas, as well as NBA players Dorrell Wright, Andray Blatche, and Dion Waiters. Even before he arrived at South Kent, Chillious coached former UConn star Josh Boone at West Nottingham Academy (Colora, Md.).

Being cited as "the key" to procuring the #7 recruiting class to the University of Washington in 2015, a school that has never been known as a basketball school, is objectively impressive. So is his development of the different players at South Kent during his time there. Both Dorrell Wright and Andray Blatche seemingly came out of nowhere, and he helped them both get drafted in the 1st round.
Arizona could've hired Chill, instead they hired Romar. I have a feeling Romar was the real closer there

Lets just pretend that NBA success matters. Give me another example.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm sure the Washington fans would disagree after being 9-22 and going through a 13 game losing streak.. Sorry I'm about the team winning not having the #1 pick in draft. Its all about team production - bottom line.

Like to see that HUGE reputation actually yield some results.

Again Scoot - I am talking about talent recognition NOT team production - wins and talent recognition are two separate categories - some top flight talent in all sports played on god awful teams but that doesn't diminish that they are great talent. You need to separate the two in this discussion
Besides Chill was working on Fulz way before anyone recognized the kid for what he could develop into.
UW had some very talented players in the recent years that Chill had been there and was deeply involved in getting them there and most were NBA draftees - why they didn't win? I don't know - have to ask Romar

Reaction Score
Arizona could've hired Chill, instead they hired Romar. I have a feeling Romar was the real closer there

Ummmm.... I guess you need to go back and read that part I copied and pasted in the original post from his Villanova bio again:

Chillious played a key role in tutoring the guards at Washington - including two-time All-Pac 10 performer Isaiah Thomas - and helped coach the team to a 26-10 record and NCAA Sweet 16 appearance in his first year in Seattle, followed by a 24-11 season and second consecutive Pac-10 Tournament championship in 2011.

This passage refers directly to his COLLEGE SUCCESS, not pro.

Here is an excerpt from the Seattle Times in July 2014 when highly sought after 4* forward Jermaine Haley from BC, Canada signed with Washington (over Louisville, Arizona, Ohio State, Gonzaga and others at the time):

Haley credited coach Lorenzo Romar and assistant Raphael Chillious for showing the most interest during the recruiting period.
“(Romar) was excited when I told him,” Haley said. “They show up to all of my games both coach Chill and Romar.”

And on the subject of the recruitment of Markelle Fultz, these words are directly from Lorenzo Romar himself in an article from the UW Huskies Insider Blog on November 18, 2015:
(On Fultz’s recruitment) “You’ve got to point right away to Coach (Raphael) Chillious. I don’t know if we get Markelle if Coach Chillious isn’t on our staff. We got in there early. Coach developed a great relationship with Markelle and his mom. Keith Williams, his trainer, he’s trained him since he was in 7th grade I guess, for a long time. Coach knew him since they were teenagers, I believe. Coach gets all the credit for that, for the recruitment, staying in there. I think it was important that we identified Markelle early as he had just finished his junior varsity year, where there were a lot of people who didn’t think he would be as good of a player as he was. But it was important to identify that early to get involved early, and to help him understand that we thought he was going to be special back then, and I don’t think they forgot that. It carried over throughout he rest of the recruitment. But you talk about the recruitment, that’s Coach Chill.”

But again, keep spewing your negativity about Chillious based upon your self-admitted limited knowledge and lack of doing any real investigation on his background. I get it... you are down on pretty much everything related to the UConn men's basketball program right now, and certainly everything related to Ollie, even this particular hire. You have stated as much in the majority of your posts for awhile now.

I mean, being down on Ollie is one thing... but Chillious? The guy just got here less than 3 months ago! Let's see what kind of recruiting class we get for 2018 before you jump to any conclusions about the guy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You're going to believe whatever you want anyway so let's give it some time. No reason to attempt to prove anything to doubters he will need to do that. Giving him 2-3 months during a time where the staff was in supposed turmoil as well as the brand, wouldn't seem all the fair but your call. I will wait to see how he does when they start winning and recruiting kids from the start, not hopping in late because they are desperate.

Reaction Score
It is far to early to criticize Chillious for lack of recruiting success. He came into a pretty tough situation at a very late stage in the recruiting cycle. He deserves a full year at a minimum, that's only fair.

That said, I have some real concerns about the frontcourt this year, mostly because there is virtually no D1 experience. If I recall correctly, Cobb scored 27 points at South Carolina. I really hope Diarra is healthy enough to contribute. He has a great motor.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It is far to early to criticize Chillious for lack of recruiting success. He came into a pretty tough situation at a very late stage in the recruiting cycle. He deserves a full year at a minimum, that's only fair.

BS. We need players now. His job is to bring players in now. Anything less is failure. The guys that were let go so KO could hire him brought players in.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom