Hamidou Diallo Graduates | Page 77 | The Boneyard

Hamidou Diallo Graduates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
Drummond is a bad example. By dropping a couple spots in the draft he probably missed out on a few million dollars on his first contract, but he will more than make up for that on his second.

Reaction Score
I don't know Andre, so I don't know. He seems to be in a pretty good place right now. But he was the likely #1 pick in the 2013 draft (the weakest draft in history, FWIW)

That didn't really have any baring on his decision to play at UConn, though. If he had returned for his sophomore season, he goes #1 in the next draft. And I'd be shocked if Drummond has any regrets about coming here.

Reaction Score
That didn't really have any baring on his decision to play at UConn, though. If he had returned for his sophomore season, he goes #1 in the next draft. And I'd be shocked if Drummond has any regrets about coming here.

Ya I forgot that he would have just left after his PG year. Something seemed off when I posted that, thanks for the correction. He likely would have gone 2nd after Davis in 2012.

Edit. He was projected 3rd preseason, after Barnes and Davis on the wayback machine. Barnes obviously exposed himself in that season.

Reaction Score
Drummond is a bad example. By dropping a couple spots in the draft he probably missed out on a few million dollars on his first contract, but he will more than make up for that on his second.
He's not making back that money he lost by going 9th, Drummond is a perfect example. Spending that year at UConn didn't give him any kind of extra prep for earning that 2nd contract.

Reaction Score
He's not making back that money he lost by going 9th, Drummond is a perfect example. Spending that year at UConn didn't give him any kind of extra prep for earning that 2nd contract.

Thank you. I must agree, Drummond is the perfect example. The money isn't really an issue in the long term, he is probably going to make over 300 million in his career. But his stock dropped after her "exposed" himself in college. That is relevant to this discussion, even though he proved to be the real deal and made it work out in the end.

Reaction Score
Thank you. I must agree, Drummond is the perfect example. The money isn't really an issue in the long term, he is probably going to make over 300 million in his career. But his stock dropped after her "exposed" himself in college. That is relevant to this discussion, even though he proved to be the real deal and made it work out in the end.
Yea this comes up every year and folks try to argue against it just cuz its UConn, SI had an article about halfway or so through his rookie year about how he was exceeding expectations after he fell in the draft. They even spoke about how some GMs were a bit apprehensive about him because of the recent run of UConn bigmen busts.

Reaction Score
@walker11 @aceboon I'm not too familiar with the pay scale by draft slot, but it'd be interesting to see how he would have made out financially in all the different hypotheticals. I wonder where he ends up in that class - that was pretty formidable - if he preps that season. Guess it's possible he goes as high as two, then again MKG had a lot of momentum heading into that draft and Beal was considered a safe pick. Was it Robinson who went fourth? Maybe that's where he goes.

Obviously the risk/reward calculus is a tough one. Diallo is a July or August birthday, IIRC, so even if he plays two years at UConn (or 1.5 as it would turn out) he would still be 19 on draft day. Jalen Adams, by comparison, is 21 right now.

So yeah...I dunno. Gun to my head I'm advising him to spend two years in college (and that would have been my advise dating back a while) and climb into the lottery. But if he's a sure-fire first rounder without needing to step on a college court, it would be tough to blame him for going that route.

Reaction Score
For a lot of kids the longer they stay in college the more their games get exposed. Combination of things - opponents become more familiar with them, talent around them changes, team dynamic changes, scouts have more time to pick your game apart, etc.

Happens all the time.

Reaction Score
My guess is that this second semester enrollment is because of the feedback from the nba. Enough scouts have seen him play and probably told him the only way to increase his draft stock is to play against better competition.

Reactions: pj

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
If he is only planning to play 1/2 a season, just pass. Let him go to Kentucky.

giphy.gif

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I don't know about that. I heard from an insider that Andre didn't like Travis' strength and conditioning program and wasn't thrilled about Glen Miller's facility tours.
Drummond needed no tours nor did he meet the S&C coach for the first time before committing. He hung out at UConn for a long time.
I think you have a sour opinion about Travis and Miller so this fits your dialogue

Reaction Score
Drummond needed no tours nor did he meet the S&C coach for the first time before committing. He hung out at UConn for a long time.
I think you have a sour opinion about Travis and Miller so this fits your dialogue

I was thinking he was being sarcastic, was I wrong?

Reaction Score

I guess you've never met Chief.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
AD is the 18th highest paid player in the NBA this year and will probably be in top 15 next year, he is the highest paid Piston ever.
He is being paid nearly $27MM per year and will be for next 5
I think he made up for it

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
OH - got it - it was a play off of Chieffoo
MY BAD

Quite frankly, I was surprised you didn't get that. I was talking to Fishy and Tom and they agreed with me that the sarcasm was self-evident. But I suppose that some people don't spend as much time studying the English language as I do. If you have any further questions, unfortunately I will be quite frankly unavailable the rest of the day.

Reaction Score
Quite frankly, I was surprised you didn't get that. I was talking to Fishy and Tom and they agreed with me that the sarcasm was self-evident. But I suppose that some people don't spend as much time studying the English language as I do. If you have any further questions, unfortunately I will be quite frankly unavailable the rest of the day.

Let us know when you are back in the pocket.

Reaction Score
I exposed myself in college and didn't get a nickel for it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Too early in the AM and I guess I just glanced over the back and forth with Fish and Tom
Learned a lesson!!
No further questions, I am comfortable with the English language, its my homework that I didn't do - but thanks for the offer anyway
Happy Holidays

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
www.zagsblog.com/2016/12/23/official-visit-hamidou-diallo-takes-shots-uconn-practice-will-attend-auburn-game/

The article starts out with what we know, but then talks about NBA scouts and the NBA scouts want him to attend college. Probably this one of the reasons for him suiting up 2nd semester.

"
At that event, most NBA scouts said they thought Diallo wasn’t yet ready for the NBA and should attend college.
“Based on what I saw tonight and this summer he should attend college and continue to develop his game,” one NBA scout said. “He’s athletic and flashes some skill but has a ways to go from being NBA ready. I think someone would draft him for his talent but it’s not about making the league, it’s about giving yourself the best chance to stick.”

“[The NBA scouts] were disappointed by the lack of urgency that he showed,” Jonathan Givony of DraftExpress.com said. “He was kind of going through the motions and coasting. His jump shot still needs a lot of work. His body needs a lot of work. If Hamidou is not going to play hard, then he’s just not that interesting a prospect. He’s 6-5, 190 pounds without a great jumper. You can find that a dime a dozen.

“What I loved about Hamidou before that with USA Basketball, on the AAU circuit, Adidas Nations, every time I’ve seen him play, he was always playing harder than everybody else. He was a monster defensively. He seems to kind of have backed off of that a little bit and that’s not a good sign for him. I think he’s a much better prospect than what he showed, but when NBA guys come to evaluate you and you turn in that kind of performances, they might not come back. So he has to be thinking strongly about college at this point.”

Reaction Score
So,... back to Diallo. I think it looks good for him to commit here. Major minutes immediately, quickly starting at the 2 or 3, and the opportunity to demonstrate what a difference maker he can be. Also if he tests the NBA waters and stays yes Larrier and Gilbert are back but Purvis is gone. Not too crowded and next year's team might have greater potential for team accolades. Plus, and I'm not sure about this, isn't he from NYNY ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom