Hailey Van Lith in the Portal | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hailey Van Lith in the Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
She is a fighter.....and absolutely killed us in the 4th quarter and won the game for Louisville at Mohegan Sun in Dec. 2021..., with both Paige and Azzi out...., at least one on crutches, if not both........
Got the Hailey Van Lith autograph soon after game, in the exit tunnel, no one else around.....

Reaction Score
For everyone talking about academics being thrown out the window ... SHE IS ABOUT TO GRADUATE. How many athletes complete their degree in 3 years? I mean, there are a ton of professional athletes that stayed four years and still are short of credits for their sheepskin. And it was a degree in finance, not some general ed, or sports management or advanced PE degree. Changing schools for grad school is pretty normal for any student and is actually recommended as it introduces the student to a whole new faculty and new ideas.

I really admire Dorka for her educational goals being met in 3 years at OSU and I admire Van Lith for hers. I don't think this is NIL related or a black mark on Walz.
I believe she is also an Academic All-American; bright young gal.

Reaction Score
I believe she is also an Academic All-American; bright young gal.
Indeed, there was word of that going around after her freshman year.....the Viking Princess is indeed a bright young lady whose BF is the good friend of Paige Bueckers.

Where is she going? She and Betts could think of playing with Caitlin Clark but they could also join UCLA where a good PG - not in class of Clark, of course - resides, now with a year's experience. And, a top recruit about to join.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Im all in on Hailey Van Lith. I love her game, her competitiveness, and her work ethic. I know her percentages aren't great but she scores so much on isolation and being the primary focus of the defense. I agree UConn doesn't need her but I don't think SC needed Cardoso and they stilled grabbed her. I think she would be great at UConn. But I don't think she comes.
The question I have is why doesn't she go pro if she just graduated. Like is she eligible? I know NIL is big, but I'd imagine for a brand like Adidas it may be even more beneficial for them to promote their gear while she is playing overseas.
If it is getting her master's that's the primary focus, I think that's really cool. Also I kinda get just wanting to be in college as well. Id love to see her at Stanford as well.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Im all in on Hailey Van Lith. I love her game, her competitiveness, and her work ethic. I know her percentages aren't great but she scores so much on isolation and being the primary focus of the defense. I agree UConn doesn't need her but I don't think SC needed Cardoso and they stilled grabbed her. I think she would be great at UConn. But I don't think she comes.
The question I have is why doesn't she go pro if she just graduated. Like is she eligible? I know NIL is big, but I'd imagine for a brand like Adidas it may be even more beneficial for them to promote their gear while she is playing overseas.
If it is getting her master's that's the primary focus, I think that's really cool. Also I kinda get just wanting to be in college as well. Id love to see her at Stanford as well.
With WNBA roster spots limited, and until the league either expands via # of teams, or size of rosters, there are now other options for players - stay in school and earn NIL, get a grad degree for future use, play overseas, etc. And I think the day will come sooner than later for more players to realize that they can get a free education with an athletic scholarship, and after graduating, will move on, as for some, hoop is not the end goal.

Reaction Score
Wow. This portal thing is spinning out of control. I feel for the coaches. They invest their time and energy (not to mention schools’ money) to go and watch the players, compete with other coaches to recruit them, train them and hope to build teams/programs with them for years, and wake up one morning and find out their hope/dream that they have worked so hard for is gone. The NIL deal is making the matter worse. The NCAA needs to do something about this.
Like free-agency in baseball
Great for the players
Not great for the sport as a whole

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Wow. This portal thing is spinning out of control. I feel for the coaches. They invest their time and energy (not to mention schools’ money) to go and watch the players, compete with other coaches to recruit them, train them and hope to build teams/programs with them for years, and wake up one morning and find out their hope/dream that they have worked so hard for is gone. The NIL deal is making the matter worse. The NCAA needs to do something about this.
A few years back Jeff Walz practically held up the University of Louisville threatening to go elsewhere. The University upped his annual compensation to something over $2 million. While I have a number of concerns about the transfer portal, I don’t feel bad for the coaches at all.

Reaction Score
as i recall, in high school Hailey Van Lith was hoping to be a uconn husky ... paige dashed that possibility, of course.

is she now getting a second shot? :D

no, no, no. uconn MUST get another 'big' and hailey assuredly ain't one!
Nor is she the team player Geno and CD refer.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
A college player cannot declare for the WNBA draft unless they meet certain requirement(s).

The WNBA "requires players to be at least 22, to have completed their college eligibility, to have graduated from a four-year college or to be four years removed from high school". Since the WNBA draft is currently held in April, before most U.S. colleges and universities have ended their academic years, the league considers anyone scheduled to graduate in the 3 months after the draft to be a "graduate" for draft purposes.

I don't know if Hailey Van Lith graduating in a month makes her eligible the WNBA draft. If I'm reading those requirements correctly, she is eligible.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Pretty sure she was recruited by them
There was a lot of mutual interest early, but I think even before Paige committed it had started to cool a bit.

I think that people make too much of the NIL money, a player with national brand NIL is taking those contracts into the WNBA with her - national companies don't develop NIL business for a year or two and then just drop it, just like players don't suddenly lose their followers because the graduate from school (HS or College.) Anything Hailey Van Lith earns playing professionally will be on top of her current 'business.'

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
They changed the one year sit because of possible lawsuits that were coming down the pike and also some Congressional committee's looking into the freedom of movement in college sports.

Reaction Score
Wonder if she would consider Miami (closer to Suggs who plays for the Magic).

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Great for the players
Women's D1 volleyball is very popular and players have been able to transfer and play immediately. It has not hurt D1 volleyball.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Women's D1 volleyball is very popular and players have been able to transfer and play immediately. It has not hurt D1 volleyball.
It used to be that transferring within the same conference required a sit-out season; but, that conference rule was trumped by new NCAA transfer portal rules. That is why so many players in all sports now transfer within the same conference.

Reaction Score
I would love to see Hailey Van Lith on the UConn roster. It’s insurance on a guard spot. Hailey Van Lith and Nika can provide the pressure in the full court press. It doesn’t seem like Morgan ever stopped following her on instagram. So, the interest must have been deep.
We don’t know if Caroline will ever stop having the head issues. While KK and Ashlynn will have a year to learn from the best, and will hardly be relied upon.
Basically, I’m just hoping it’s not ND or LSU.
She likes to shoot the ball a lot, not the kind of player Geno recruits. It's team first at Uconn, not me first.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Great for the players
Of course free agency has been great for the sport as a whole. And I think the portal is great, it spreads out the talent. Good coaching is rewarded. Look at the men's Final Four.

HuskyFan1125

"Dont be the same, be better"
Reaction Score
I thought he was dating one of the Cavinder twins for a bit.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
She likes to shoot the ball a lot, not the kind of player Geno recruits. It's team first at Uconn, not me first.
Geno wants his shooters to shoot. Case in point. In UConn’s Sweet 16 loss to tOSU, Azzi was 6/17. How does that compare with Hailey Van Lith? In Louisville’s loss to Iowa in the Tournament she shot 8/19. Not much difference there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom