Hailey Van Lith in the Portal | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Hailey Van Lith in the Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Sure with Paige coming back and Azzi getting fully healthy. That's a pretty good combo for makers I'd say.

Yes. Again, it's not a need for next year. There are other gaps in the roster.
One shooter is not enough, especially since she has to handle the ball so much. Look at the men, they had no shooters last year so went out and got some. Title. You need to make three these days.

Reaction Score
One shooter is not enough, especially since she has to handle the ball so much. Look at the men, they had no shooters last year so went out and got some. Title. You need to make three these days.
Paige and Azzi are among the very best in D1. Caroline is not bad either. And Ashlynn is an effective perimeter threat as well. Is four enough?

Reaction Score
One shooter? There is Paige, Azzi, Carolina, and Shade. We don't need a ball dominant 5th shooter when we already have two guards that are better than her on both sides of the ball.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Because she's wants a ring, she's better than all of them (cept PB) and we need a shooter?
Van Lith is a good player but this year she shot 41% from the field, 29% from 3 and had a negative A/TO ratio. She also publicly was bitter being only HM All American this year while on a team that was unranked the entire season. UCONN already has a log jam at the guard/wing spots with 5 proven players who've been at UCONN 2+ years and know the system competing for 3 spots on the court. Adding Van Lith does nothing to help the Huskies IMO.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Geno wants his shooters to shoot. Case in point. In UConn’s Sweet 16 loss to tOSU, Azzi was 6/17. How does that compare with Hailey Van Lith? In Louisville’s loss to Iowa in the Tournament she shot 8/19. Not much difference there.
I guess a little insight on the shooting capabilities of the two players in question needs to be pointed out
Hailey Van Lith
in 2022-23 in 37 games was .418% from the floor and a dreadful .208 (58-198) from 3 point line or 5.35 shots per games
in 2021-22 in 34 games was .432 and .364 (45-124) or 3.64 shots per game
in 2020-21 in 30 games was .429 and .383 (49-128) or 4.26 shots per game
Azzi
in 2022-23 15 games was .456 and .340 (34-100) 6.67 per game
in 2021-22 25 games was .457 and .430 (58-135) 5.4 per game
So while Hailey Van Lith's shot percentage was actually pretty good her first two years, the seem to be limited to the flow of the offense as good shots. Whereas this year she hoisted quite a few more with much less accuracy and I would say was solely a volume shooter this year.

Azzi on the other hand, is a much better and noted shooter as shown by the percentages. this year was clearly a down year at .340 but IS SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER than .209 and warranted more shots.

Could Hailey actually fit into a more team oriented scheme, maybe but I suspect her ego may not let that occur as evidenced by her Umbridge at not being a 1st team All-American despite her teams struggles and her own less than stellar statistics.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
These guys have a spotty record so FWIW

So this list directly contradicts Jeff Walz comment on her being closer to home. I think this list makes more sense as NONE of the schools near her home on are Sweet 16 or better ability schools (UW, WSU, Oregon, OSU). Why on earth would she want to do that given how she really played well and enjoyed the NCAA spotlight with Clark. The only West Coast school that needs Hailey and Hailey should look at would be Stanford but I don't know if they would take an outside Grad student.

Reaction Score
Van Lith is a good player but this year she shot 41% from the field, 29% from 3 and had a negative A/TO ratio. She also publicly was bitter being only HM All American this year while on a team that was unranked the entire season. UCONN already has a log jam at the guard/wing spots with 5 proven players who've been at UCONN 2+ years and know the system competing for 3 spots on the court. Adding Van Lith does nothing to help the Huskies IMO.
I agree completely. And she should find the best school to get her graduate degree and pile up the NIL money because she's not going to tear it up in the W. If she even makes a team.

Reaction Score
I guess a little insight on the shooting capabilities of the two players in question needs to be pointed out
Hailey Van Lith
in 2022-23 in 37 games was .418% from the floor and a dreadful .208 (58-198) from 3 point line or 5.35 shots per games
Azzi
So while Hailey Van Lith's shot percentage was actually pretty good her first two years, the seem to be limited to the flow of the offense as good shots. Whereas this year she hoisted quite a few more with much less accuracy and I would say was solely a volume shooter this year.

Azzi on the other hand, is a much better and noted shooter as shown by the percentages. this year was clearly a down year at .340 but IS SIGNIFICANTLY BETTER than .209 and warranted more shots.

Could Hailey actually fit into a more team oriented scheme, maybe but I suspect her ego may not let that occur as evidenced by her Umbridge at not being a 1st team All-American despite her teams struggles and her own less than stellar statistics.
58 3pt baskets on 198 attempts = .293. Azzi still had a better 3pt success rate but not as significant as your miscalculation suggests. In 8 games Payton Verhulst shot .208 on limited attempts (5 for 24) before left the team and transferred to Oklahoma.

Agree with many here that UConn doesn't need Hailey Van Lith. I think LSU has more opportunities for her and she could fit in well.

Stanford indeed could use a scoring point guard of Hailey Van Lith's ability. It would really surprise if she could get into Stanford Business School with minimal real world work experience, other than her NIL activities. If not an option she'd need to find another program to enter. Perhaps some of the Stanford Cardinal people on this site could enlighten on whether Stanford offers a one year grad program that fits.

Last edited:

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
So this list directly contradicts Jeff Walz comment on her being closer to home. I think this list makes more sense as NONE of the schools near her home on are Sweet 16 or better ability schools (UW, WSU, Oregon, OSU). Why on earth would she want to do that given how she really played well and enjoyed the NCAA spotlight with Clark. The only West Coast school that needs Hailey and Hailey should look at would be Stanford but I don't know if they would take an outside Grad student.
Enjoyed both your posts on the Hailey Van Lith-next-stop thesis. I'll go with some different analogies.
  • LSU strikes me as being Capt. Obvious. They have a need for someone that can create and add (yet) another spark of "me against the western world as we know it." Plus, the Kim and Hailey Van Lith similarities/comparisons could eventually become a Disney animated series.
  • Honestly, I just don't see how -- despite some mutual respect -- the UConn and Hailey Van Lith makes any sense. All is right in the UConn Fab Four if Aaliyah is the main beat, Caroline plays George and Paige B. (re)joins to become John vs. Azzi's Paul (or the other way around if you have faves). Who is Hailey Van Lith? Mick Jagger looking to improve her cred? And Geno's got these superb new players coming in that would be set back. Beware of superb talent wanting their solos!
  • Indiana I kinda get. Grace Berger moves on (finally) and Moore-McNeil can take over the point. Moren did a good job getting Scalia floor time and could do so again. Plus, I think IU needs someone to create her own shot/get fouled now that Berger is gone.
Consider Hailey Van Lith being Joe Walsh joining the Eagles.
- And might I add another scenario that I'm surprised no one is bringing up: Kevin McGuff and the Electric Pressing Orchestra (EPO) at Ohio State lose the mad bomber, Taylor Mikesell. Who better to join Jacy Sheldon and Rikki Harris than Hailey Van Lith? She'll get points off turnovers, three-pt. try's off unsettled situations. Heck, it will almost be like playing with Emily Engstler again!

Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith
Azzi

Can someone please explain her ego to me? I have never thought she had a ego. She plays hard all the time. Gave credit to her teammates all the time. Is she a spark plug? Yup. Does she talk trash? Yup. That doesn't mean she has an ego. And if the case is her ego would get in the way, there are plenty of Husky players that you could've said the same thing about. yet, they fit right in.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith
Azzi

I think your numbers of shots is way off - 2023 Hailey Van Lith averaged 16.8 shots per game, Azzi 13, and Lou 12.

But that all has a lot to do with how the teams are coached and the skills of teammates as well as minutes played and speed of play. Louisville averaged 3 more shots per game than Uconn in 2023, Hailey Van Lith played 37 min/game vs. Lou's 31 and Azzi's 28. So shots per minute played are Hailey Van Lith .45, Lou .39, and Azzi .46. Is Azzi a volume shooter? And does Hailey Van Lith run out of gas when playing 37 minutes vs. previous years where she played around 31 minutes?

I think Hailey Van Lith was over-used at Louisville this year, probably trying to make up for Engster and others who left.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Can someone please explain her ego to me? I have never thought she had a ego. She plays hard all the time. Gave credit to her teammates all the time. Is she a spark plug? Yup. Does she talk trash? Yup. That doesn't mean she has an ego. And if the case is her ego would get in the way, there are plenty of Husky players that you could've said the same thing about. yet, they fit right in.

Here was her reaction to be HM-AA. It missed a point where a teammate nervously said, "uh oh" as if Hailey Van Lith was going to be really ticked off about it.

Any time I see a player get bent out of shape about individual honors or show some sort of negative reaction regarding them, I usually think there's an ego there. Ego or not, as a high profile senior, I just can't see her choosing a school like UCONN where she isn't a lock to start and where her role would be greatly reduced on the court. She wouldn't get near the number of shots or have the ball in her hands as much. I could see her getting frustrated taking on a reduced role which is never good for team chemistry. She'd likely be behind Muhl/Fudd/Bueckers who know the system and have played under Geno for 2+ years, while Hailey would be taking on a small role in a structured system after having far more freedom in a less structured system at Louisville.

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that so many think she and Kim would be an obvious match "because they are so much alike." In my experience, two personalities that are very close often DO NOT get along well.

Reaction Score
Of course free agency has been great for the sport as a whole. And I think the portal is great, it spreads out the talent. Good coaching is rewarded. Look at the men's Final Four.
My fear is that it doesn’t spread out the talent. It just as easily could help the rich get richer and the poor (or mediocre) get poorer.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
My fear is that it doesn’t spread out the talent. It just as easily could help the rich get richer and the poor (or mediocre) get poorer.
I think it works both ways. A lot of good players on mediocre teams are leaving to play for teams that can compete for a deep tournament run, and on the flip side we've seen a lot of highly touted players leave better programs to get minutes at smaller institutions.

Reaction Score
Never saw this coming. Who is the lucky team to get her services. Uconn maybe. Never know.

Reaction Score
Here was her reaction to be HM-AA. It missed a point where a teammate nervously said, "uh oh" as if Hailey Van Lith was going to be really ticked off about it.

Any time I see a player get bent out of shape about individual honors or show some sort of negative reaction regarding them, I usually think there's an ego there. Ego or not, as a high profile senior, I just can't see her choosing a school like UCONN where she isn't a lock to start and where her role would be greatly reduced on the court. She wouldn't get near the number of shots or have the ball in her hands as much. I could see her getting frustrated taking on a reduced role which is never good for team chemistry. She'd likely be behind Muhl/Fudd/Bueckers who know the system and have played under Geno for 2+ years, while Hailey would be taking on a small role in a structured system after having far more freedom in a less structured system at Louisville.
I've never been overly impressed with Hailey Van Lith's game. She's a high volume shooter that doesn't have a particularly good shooting percentage. Personally, I don't think she even deserved honorable mention. She should be happy with that instead of thinking she deserved better than that. She a good college basketball player. Nothing less. nothing more. But hey, that's just me. There are a few over on the L'Ville board that said she's a generational player. Seriously? Not even close.

Reaction Score
There is no way she should come to UCONN. She would be the third guard at best maybe the 5th because of her size and quickness. Geno also wouldn't take one of Jeff's players and since UCONN has really one scholarship left I say no again.

She has little to no chance to make the WNBA so she will go somewhere that can pay her a ton in NIL money, or go play for a coach that she can learn from to maybe launch her own coaching career. She is a very good player and gets about all she can out of her bag of skills but not at a level that UCONN has right now at guard.

Reaction Score
"closer to home" sounds like the WEST COAST!! Now, where in the west????
“Closer to home” should always be taken with a grain of salt. Going back about 10 or 11 years ago there was an article about Lauren Engeln leaving UConn. One of the reasons given was that she wanted to be closer to home. She was from Laguna Hills California. She transferred to Boston College.
I am happy that Lou (1 and 2), Dorka, Svet, Nika, Diana and others didn’t feel that way.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith
Azzi

Difficult to compare the two. Geno runs a 5-out motion offense, where a lot of Azzi’s shots come off of screens, catch & shoot, etc. Louisville runs a lot of isolation as they did with Asia Durr and now Hailey Van Lith. I’m going to guess that you can not find a single season in the past 20 years or so when Louisville, as a team, shot a better % than UConn.

The comparison between Azzi’s shooting vs tOSU and Hailey Van Lith’s shooting vs Iowa is apt imo, because both players were forced to take on a heavier burden of finding their own shots off the dribble, which neither one did particularly well.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith shot a lower percentage this year than her first 2 years. I may be wrong, but I attribute it to being the primary offensive option, unlike her prior 2 seasons. I saw her force several shots this year. But she shot 87% on FTs, suggesting that she can be a good shooter. She averaged a respectable 37% from the arc over her first 2 seasons. Recall that she was the major reason we lost to Louisville in December 2021. I would discount her FG percentage from last season.

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that so many think she and Kim would be an obvious match "because they are so much alike." In my experience, two personalities that are very close often DO NOT get along well.
How do you explain Kim and Reese?

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Hailey Van Lith shot a lower percentage this year than her first 2 years. I may be wrong, but I attribute it to being the primary offensive option, unlike her prior 2 seasons. I saw her force several shots this year. But she shot 87% on FTs, suggesting that she can be a good shooter. She averaged a respectable 37% from the arc over her first 2 seasons. Recall that she was the major reason we lost to Louisville in December 2021. I would discount her FG percentage from last season.
Great points, her 3pt shooting this past year is the outlier from her first 3 years. She was about a 43% FG shooter overall her first two years, which is slightly better than this year (and may be attributed to her better 3-point shooting).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom