Hailey Van Lith in the Portal | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hailey Van Lith in the Portal

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
For everyone talking about academics being thrown out the window ... SHE IS ABOUT TO GRADUATE. How many athletes complete their degree in 3 years? I mean, there are a ton of professional athletes that stayed four years and still are short of credits for their sheepskin. And it was a degree in finance, not some general ed, or sports management or advanced PE degree. Changing schools for grad school is pretty normal for any student and is actually recommended as it introduces the student to a whole new faculty and new ideas.

I really admire Dorka for her educational goals being met in 3 years at OSU and I admire Van Lith for hers. I don't think this is NIL related or a black mark on Walz.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Previously, Coach Geno claimed that when a kid enters the portal and then immediately declares where she's going, it means that teams are cheating. It means that teams never stopped recruiting those players, which is a violation of recruiting rules.

Wonder if anyone will get caught? Or are coaches like Mulkey so high and mighty that they're immune from prosecution by the NCAA?

And if so, is it time to create a professional development league?

I wouldn't be surprised if coaches are using work around methods that technically don't break rules but effectively still recruit. For example, they may not contact a player directly but they might reach out to an old AAU coach or someone connected to them and say, "next time you talk to Hailey, she might be interested in knowing we'll be shopping the portal for a PG next year"

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I wouldn't be surprised if coaches are using work around methods that technically don't break rules but effectively still recruit. For example, they may not contact a player directly but they might reach out to an old AAU coach or someone connected to them and say, "next time you talk to Hailey, she might be interested in knowing we'll be shopping the portal for a PG next year"
I doubt any coach would be that blatant. All they need to say, in the middle of a conversation about a currently uncommitted HS athlete is ... boy we really missed the boat when ______ was being recruited didn't we. Coaches live in a fish bowl and being too blatant could backfire not just if the comment got out, but also if the AAU coach was offended and starting steering his current athletes away from the coach.

But I don't think a lot of that is actually happening. I think most of this is networking between athletes - they are all interconnected from the day they start organized basketball, through their final days as a pro. D1 basketball is a very small community, and the top end is even smaller.

Reaction Score
I think this is another case of a parent pushing his kid to transfer. I believe Muffet McGraw is the one who said that the kids haven’t changed all that much over the years, but the parents have.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Previously, Coach Geno claimed that when a kid enters the portal and then immediately declares where she's going, it means that teams are cheating. It means that teams never stopped recruiting those players, which is a violation of recruiting rules.

Wonder if anyone will get caught? Or are coaches like Mulkey so high and mighty that they're immune from prosecution by the NCAA?

And if so, is it time to create a professional development league?
It could just be that Hailey wants to be the one to initiate a potential transfer rather than get swamped with recruiting pitches

Reaction Score
Louisville fan here. I’m not surprised. Certainly no bad blood between them, Hailey Van Lith spoke very highly of Walz during the tourney. That is all legit.

I really think this is about getting the most money she can out of NIL, in theory she has two more years. I don’t begrudge her that.

I know nothing, but I also think LSU. It was between Louisville and Baylor out of HS, and Mulkey has gotten to the promised land, again. I also think the NIL is too much to pass up. I understand Hailey Van Lith has quite a few nstional deals, those should stay with her. But Louisville is woefully behind in the NIL game and we are getting crushed. All I’ve heard since before this season started was we lost Kitts and Fulwiley (?) to a guaranteed $25k at SC. IMHO Louisville athletics has been in chaos for years ( due to all the mens bball and football drama) that we are not prepared for NIL.

I have not always been a big fan of hers, but this does hurt, def short term. I certainly hope she’s happy wherever she lands. I’ve also no doubt her dad was a big part of this.
If $25k is all the NIL money that it cost to get Fulwiley, then that is a steal for SC. I wonder what the range of dollars are for women BB NIL deals?? I read that the Cavendish twins got over $ 1 million to go there, but who really knows as I think these are private transactions!

Reaction Score
When she was in high school, Hailey Van Lith was recruited very heavily by Baylor. I believe that Kim and the entire staff flew up to visit her, but Hailey Van Lith wasn't convinced. She waited a long time to verbal. It seemed as if she wasn't sold on Baylor and was waiting for someone else. Did she not like Kim, or was it Waco? She may give Kim another look. Or not.
This is the kind of wisdom the BY needs more of. "She may give Kim another look. Or not." Too much certainty offered on this board when there is no certainty. :)

Reaction Score
Louisville fan here. I’m not surprised. Certainly no bad blood between them, Hailey Van Lith spoke very highly of Walz during the tourney. That is all legit.

I really think this is about getting the most money she can out of NIL, in theory she has two more years. I don’t begrudge her that.

I know nothing, but I also think LSU. It was between Louisville and Baylor out of HS, and Mulkey has gotten to the promised land, again. I also think the NIL is too much to pass up. I understand Hailey Van Lith has quite a few nstional deals, those should stay with her. But Louisville is woefully behind in the NIL game and we are getting crushed. All I’ve heard since before this season started was we lost Kitts and Fulwiley (?) to a guaranteed $25k at SC. IMHO Louisville athletics has been in chaos for years ( due to all the mens bball and football drama) that we are not prepared for NIL.

I have not always been a big fan of hers, but this does hurt, def short term. I certainly hope she’s happy wherever she lands. I’ve also no doubt her dad was a big part of this.
Don't blame NIL on why you'll lost Fulwiley. I think having a relationship with Dawn and being from SC was the main reason.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This is just more of the absurd nature of college basketball now. I wonder what the asking price is? I know, I'm a cynic.

Reaction Score
If $25k is all the NIL money that it cost to get Fulwiley, then that is a steal for SC. I wonder what the range of dollars are for women BB NIL deals?? I read that the Cavendish twins got over $ 1 million to go there, but who really knows as I think these are private transactions!
All these transactions should be public so everyone can see what is going on.

Reaction Score
No crap!?! :eek:
I can't see those two temperaments meshing. Except in competitiveness!
Interesting to learn that the young woman (H.V.L.) from Wenatchee, WA
got her degree in Finance in 3 years! (Reminds me of Dorka, 3 years to her Economics
degree). These ladies are focused on success!

Reaction Score
All these transactions should be public so everyone can see what is going on.
I thought they had to disclose them to their school at least. Eventually, I think they will have to disclose them to the NCAA if that isn't already in place. I would also like to see booster money eliminated, either directly or through donations to a university. Keep it corporate and visible. And in these cases...I recommend some type of cap.

Reaction Score
I thought they had to disclose them to their school at least. Eventually, I think they will have to disclose them to the NCAA if that isn't already in place. I would also like to see booster money eliminated, either directly or through donations to a university. Keep it corporate and visible. And in these cases...I recommend some type of cap.
If they had to make them public it would change everything. I have no problem with a cap but the Supreme Court does because they found that it depresses the earnings ability of the players. I think we should remove the veil of amateurism from collegiate sports once and for all so everyone knows exactly what really takes place. You are going to see federal legislation or a collegiate players union or both very soon.

Reaction Score
If they had to make them public it would change everything. I have no problem with a cap but the Supreme Court does because they found that it depresses the earnings ability of the players. I think we should remove the veil of amateurism from collegiate sports once and for all so everyone knows exactly what really takes place. You are going to see federal legislation or a collegiate players union or both very soon.
Yea...that cap will be tricky. For now, they are considered amateurs and even more important students. I can see myself abandoning interest if this turns into a professional sports landscape. Play for the love of the game or lose me. I rarely watch pro sports. It's boring and predictable.

Reaction Score
at this point, UConn does not need Hailey Van Lith...if i'm not mistaken at one time, UConn was Hailey Van Lith dream school but she decided to go to Louisville to be the number 1 star (which she would have not been at UConn with Paige on board) and indeed had a great career there. I would think LSU or Indiana are 2 great spots for her.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Washington is an Adidas school now, she's from that state, and Tina Langley is starting to get some momentum.
Didn’t know that Hailey Van Lith has a NIL “relationship” with Addidas. It would make financial sense for her to go to an Addidas school. If it makes dollars, it makes sense. That dynamic limits her choices. Would it not be a little awkward to rock Nikes during games if you have a NIL deal with Addidas?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom