GT: What is going on with Bryson DeChambeau. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

GT: What is going on with Bryson DeChambeau.

Reaction Score
^ can you explain that pay for play model? It doesn’t happen on the PGA Tour

Reaction Score
Good way to mess around. DeChambeau didn't even lead the field at TPC.

According to the site, there were only 8 drives (2/day)....is that possible? or do they only measure certain holes? edit: yes they only pick 2 holes to measure

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Him being an asshat adds to the character. The PGA Tour could use more crazy swings/approaches to the game, and personalities - even if a few of them are abrasive.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
According to the site, there were only 8 drives (2/day)....is that possible? or do they only measure certain holes?

Correct. There are only certain holes they measure. I'm not sure if they measure the same holes every day.
As I said there are some interesting numbers. 17 golfers have hit the ball over 400 yards*. Another 13 golfers have it one over 390.

*Distance from tee to where the ball ended up as marked on course.

One stat where DeChambeau and Cam Champ stand out is % of drives over 300 yards. Both are around 83%-84% and #3 on the list is 76% of the time.

The other thing I keep in mind is DeChambeau has only recently gone bezerk with his distance so I do expect him to float higher to the top as he gets more tourneys under his belt.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Him being an asshat adds to the character. The PGA Tour could use more crazy swings/approaches to the game, and personalities - even if a few of them are abrasive.

He seems to have some of young Bubba Watson in him. These dudes who do their own thing, build their own swings and like to tinker really don't like being gawked at by the media or fans. To them it's just natural to do what they are doing and they don't seem to inherently understand others' interest in what they are doing. To them they're just plying their craft and trying to get better.

Reaction Score
I'd be more interested in seeing an iron set with two lengths-
3-7 cut at length of 6-iron and 8- Wedges cut at 9-iron length.

Golfworx was just discussing this here.

Reaction Score
This shot is from this weekend. Just looking at him. He seems to have a much larger stomach. This doesn't look like "all muscle" to me.

View attachment 56188
Great pic. Not only has he put on weight, he has maintained his flexibility. His left shoulder is still behind the ball while his back leg is still in an athletic position ready to use the ground to launch the ball. That requires a ton of training.

Reaction Score
Based on how the PGA normally deals with DeChambeau, expect some sort of ban on being too jacked.

I think they banned how he putts a few years ago. He keeps breaking the game, its awesome.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
^ can you explain that pay for play model? It doesn’t happen on the PGA Tour
International event sponsors will pay big. Speith was getting paid 2 million+ just to play during his run. That’s why he was playing so many random international tournaments.

Reaction Score
From the pga tour...He (Bryson) led the field with an average of 350.6 yards per measured drive. That was 9.6 yards farther than the second-place finisher in that statistic, Cameron Champ. DeChambeau hit 16 drives over 350 yards at Detroit Golf Club, an average of four per round. That was more than twice as many as the next two players on the list, Matthew Wolff (7) and Cameron Champ (6). Those are two players who aren’t exactly known for being short hitters.

DRIVES HIT 350+ AT ROCKET MORTGAGE
NameDrives of 350+
Bryson DeChambeau16
Matthew Wolff7
Cameron Champ6
Sam Burns5

Reaction Score
International event sponsors will pay big. Speith was getting paid 2 million+ just to play during his run. That’s why he was playing so many random international tournaments.

He's already on the weird Euro tour circuit for appearance fees in Saudi and other totalitarian states that bring in golf

Reaction Score
Based on how the PGA normally deals with DeChambeau, expect some sort of ban on being too jacked.

I think they banned how he putts a few years ago. He keeps breaking the game, its awesome.
If I remember correctly they actually changed the rule of putting in his favor. He wanted to putt with flag still in and now they are allowed to do that

Reaction Score
I dont think the USGA was influenced by Bryson’s preference

Reaction Score
He should have a talk with Tiger about the torque on the back. The body is not meant to do what he is doing with it.

The balls is leaving his driver at over 190mph. He can hit his pitching wedge 170. Insanity.
he hit it over the water (360 yards) on the 17th at Travelers in a practice round. Incredible

Reaction Score
Tiger?
No doubt about Tiger in my opinion. Look at his photos from late 90s to early 2000s and then how jacked he got around 2004. But his putting and clutch play under pressure were also amazing.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
This guy is claiming to have gained 45 lbs. in 8-9 months and none of the bodyweight is fat by just eating everything in sight and working out all the time. Lol.
That is exactly what I read on him gaining weight. Saying he took advantage of the lock down. Intentionally gained weight and practiced his swing. Presently his game is drive and pitch. What does he use on a 200 yard Par 3. His putter?

Reaction Score
In all fairness, no one has really tried to do this before, whereas plenty of guys tried to get jacked in baseball. He’s got a big frame and getting that large isn’t unfathomable to me with however many months of nothing to do but work out and drink protein shakes. Whether he can keep this up now that he’s traveling and playing every week is to be determined.

I remember my Dad telling me that Johnny Miller ruined his career by lifting weights.

I did some digging and found this article from 2016.

Reaction Score
"Weight lifting" carries as much meaning as "playing golf." There are hundreds of different way to lift weights to gain different result. There are appropriate ways to lift for almost every sport.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I just can’t comprehend how he hits it so square in the middle of the club face so consistently.
Was thinking the same thing - especially with the speed/force he swings with. One of these days isn't he going to completely miss it, or hit it off the toe/heel?

But then again, I think back to when I stunk at golf. I got better by practice, practice, practice. Same with him I'm guessing. Just constant repetition.

Reaction Score
Was thinking the same thing - especially with the speed/force he swings with. One of these days isn't he going to completely miss it, or hit it off the toe/heel?

But then again, I think back to when I stunk at golf. I got better by practice, practice, practice. Same with him I'm guessing. Just constant repetition.
What kind grip us he using, I know pro's that kill the ball and use a baseball grip which they claim helps them create more clubhead speed with no hook or slice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom