GT: What is going on with Bryson DeChambeau. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

GT: What is going on with Bryson DeChambeau.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He should have a talk with Tiger about the torque on the back. The body is not meant to do what he is doing with it.

The balls is leaving his driver at over 190mph. He can hit his pitching wedge 170. Insanity.
There’s no way it’s pure muscle. Just look at him and you can see that. But he’s tacked on a lot of mass for sure. Prob for the best that he’s a little heavier to help his joints.

Yeah, don't see that swing holding up for long period of time. Human body isn't made to do that close to 100 times per day between practice and a round of golf.

And it definitely isn't all muscle. You can see his chest and upper body are thicker and you can see his upper legs and ass are thicker too.

Reaction Score
Bryson broke golf. And he’s not even hitting wedges well, which he will figure out and then it gets scary
Faldo suggested he go with steel shafts for the wedges to slow down his swing. He was overshooting the flag on most of his wedgies.

Reaction Score
Faldo suggested he go with steel shafts for the wedges to slow down his swing. He was overshooting the flag on most of his wedgies.
like most times, I was having trouble following Faldo on that line of logic. The wedge shafts he’s playing are on the heavier side compared to most steel wedge shafts. Sure he could go a little heavier but doubt it would make an appreciable difference in swing speed.

Reaction Score
He should have a talk with Tiger about the torque on the back. The body is not meant to do what he is doing with it.

The balls is leaving his driver at over 190mph. He can hit his pitching wedge 170. Insanity.
At one of his par 5 birdies yesterday he hit his 2nd shot 200+ yards right on the pin with an 8 iron. Lol

That being said, the guy who was hot on his heels, 21 year old Matthew Wolfe hits his drives almost as far and he's a little guy, relatively speaking.

Reaction Score
I have little doubt Faldo has a point. While the consistency of the graphite shafts nowadays is tremendous there's no doubt the steel would be even more. I hit graphite shafts on vacation rentals once and they flew. I'm certainly not Bryson but understand the feel. Wedges were uncontrollable without practice. But again there have been improvements in graphite consistency so I don't know how in line Faldo is. No matter the kid is monstrous in a matter of months I agree with those who wonder why the obvious questions haven't been asked and answered. He's killing it, but Wolf gave him a run here and there.

He believes in his focus, so to each their own! ;)

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have little doubt Faldo has a point. While the consistency of the graphite shafts nowadays is tremendous there's no doubt the steel would be even more. I hit graphite shafts on vacation rentals once and they flew. I'm certainly not Bryson but understand the feel. Wedges were uncontrollable without practice. But again there have been improvements in graphite consistency so I don't know how in line Faldo is. No matter the kid is monstrous in a matter of months I agree with those who wonder why the obvious questions haven't been asked and answered. He's killing it, but Wolf gave him a run here and there.

He believes in his focus, so to each their own! ;)

Can't discount his wedges being the same length as all his other irons. Other tour players are closer to the ball and have a shorter swing with their wedges.

I'd be more interested in seeing an iron set with two lengths-
3-7 cut at length of 6-iron and 8- Wedges cut at 9-iron length.

Reaction Score
Steroids don’t make the ball go straight, which a lot of those bombs are going. His game is almost awkward looking...but I find myself tuning in primarily to watch him.
Yep and they don't make you hit a baseball.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
He hit his 8 iron 240 yards lol. I guess he has a new strategy that’s working, long as possible off the tee regardless of where it lands then course management.

Reaction Score
Yep and they don't make you hit a baseball.

Ha...good call. I could see how, in both cases, it could enhance an already established skill. But, based on the amount of mass (undefined) I've put on during quarantine, I'm still leaning toward the possibility that this is natural.

Reaction Score
Whatever he's doing, if he's legit doing it legally without the help of banned substances, and you are a pro golfer, you better be emulating whatever Bryson is doing because, if what he's doing is legit, he just revolutionized golf.

Reaction Score
Whatever he's doing, if he's legit doing it legally without the help of banned substances, and you are a pro golfer, you better be emulating whatever Bryson is doing because, if what he's doing is legit, he just revolutionized golf.
Pretty amazing but there are a lot more factors to consider for other golfers. Can this kind of performance be sustained without causing injury? Do they even have the frame to do something like this? Can this kind of muscle be maintained when you’re traveling every week and not quarantined in your house for 3 months with access to your own personal gym?

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
with how hard he is swinging, i am just waiting for an Aaron Hicks oblique pull .... knocking him out for months. i don't think he is using steroids. i think he is young and reckless trying something new that will not be sustainable. but i love to watch him blow drives past McIlroy!

Reaction Score
would love to see him paired up in the final round with a supposed long hitter like DJ, Rory or Bubba....wonder if they would get frustrated being 30-40 yds behind...something they're not accustomed to!

Reaction Score
Steroids don’t make the ball go straight, which a lot of those bombs are going. His game is almost awkward looking...but I find myself tuning in primarily to watch him.

Ernie Els said back in the day it was ridiculous to test them for that because even if someone did it how could it help with a ball standing still. This isn't baseball where it was obvious, I just don't think it could help expect maybe if he's able to recover from very hard workouts in short periods of time? No matter this will challenge the field every time he's there and certainly will challenge to twosomes/threesomes mental capacity when they are playing with him. But also it could work the other way right. Imagine standing 40-50 yards in front of his playing partner who gets to go first and throws nothing but darts for 18 holes? Frustration could change.

It is a fun watch now for the most part I guess.

Reaction Score
He hit his 8 iron 240 yards lol. I guess he has a new strategy that’s working, long as possible off the tee regardless of where it lands then course management.

8 iron, 240 yards -- out of the rough. Who needs course management?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
would love to see him paired up in the final round with a supposed long hitter like DJ, Rory or Bubba....wonder if they would get frustrated being 30-40 yds behind...something they're not accustomed to!

Final hole, final round of Travelers DJ's drive was longest drive on that hole for entire week by 15 yards.

Dechambeau isn't 30-40 yards longer. He's 10-15 yards. He is hitting the ball so high he is cutting some dog legs but actual ball flight isn't that far. #9 at TPC is listed as a 430-440 yard hole. When the pros cut that dog leg and land it 30 yards short of the green the ball didn't go 400 yards.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Ernie Els said back in the day it was ridiculous to test them for that because even if someone did it how could it help with a ball standing still. This isn't baseball where it was obvious, I just don't think it could help expect maybe if he's able to recover from very hard workouts in short periods of time? No matter this will challenge the field every time he's there and certainly will challenge to twosomes/threesomes mental capacity when they are playing with him. But also it could work the other way right. Imagine standing 40-50 yards in front of his playing partner who gets to go first and throws nothing but darts for 18 holes? Frustration could change.

It is a fun watch now for the most part I guess.

They used to say the same about MLB pitchers. Biggest thing the rounds do is decrease recovery time from injuries.

Personally I don't think he's juiced up. He is eating an enormous amount of calories.

I read somewhere he plans to lose 10-15 lbs as he gets back in to tournament shape- more walking than they do when they practice. He intentionally beefed up his starting weight accounting for attrition to get him where he wants to be.

Reaction Score
Final hole, final round of Travelers DJ's drive was longest drive on that hold for entire week by 15 yards.

Dechambeau isn't 30-40 yards longer. He's 10-15 yards. He is hitting the ball so high he is cutting some dog legs but actual ball flight isn't that far. #9 at TPC is listed as a 430-440 yard hole. When the pros cut that dog leg and land it 30 yards short of the green the ball didn't go 400 yards.
Thx for the info. If u listen to the comments it seems like he’s obliterating the field. Just checked the PGA stats and u r 100% right. He’s only 10 yds longer on avg than Rory and .4 longer than the guy in second place. But it’s a good media story and a boost for golf.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thx for the info. If u listen to the comments it seems like he’s obliterating the field

I should clarify. He's on average 10-15 yards longer than the bombers but there's a dozen guys who hit 340 when they need it and hit it clean. DeChambeau is just doing it more consistently and he's hitting it straight. That's the lethal combo. Crazy game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Thx for the info. If u listen to the comments it seems like he’s obliterating the field. Just checked the PGA stats and u r 100% right. He’s only 10 yds longer on avg than Rory and .4 longer than the guy in second place. But it’s a good media story and a boost for golf.

Good way to mess around. DeChambeau didn't even lead the field at TPC.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
He’s playing such a fun style to watch if he plays his cards right he can turn himself into a major attraction where he would get paid big money just to play in tournaments.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom