Great opening song riffs | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Great opening song riffs

Reaction Score
Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy. Was 2 people from the stage at the Springfield Civic Center when they opened with this back in Feb. 1977. They started out with a wailing siren and cherry top police lights flashing on either side of the stage on top of the speakers. The floor was general admission, no chairs, good times. They opened for Queen who started out with Tie Your Mother Down which also has a great opening riff.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How did we get this far along without "Welcome to the Jungle" by Guns n' Roses? It's iconic. It's brutal. Everyone knows it.

Unless I'm ignoring someone who posted it. Which is TOTALLY possible.

Reaction Score
I know someone said it earlier, but, I agree!

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

Maybe a bit Britpop-y for some, but I've always had a soft spot for this one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Posted this in this depressing songs thread, but man that opening bass riff.

Give me goosebumps every time I hear it.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I was tempted to post the Run DMC version instead because the collaboration and video are so great.
You should have.

I've never once chosen to listen to an Aerosmith song, which doesn't mean I haven't heard them. During a period when the Stones obviously faltered, Columbia records successfully marketed into a void what Mercury couldn't with the New York Dolls and thereby met its need to push product.

Nobody would be at a loss if Aerosmith had remained a Boston bar band...except Run-DMC . They knew how to recycle the recycling and make something original.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You should have.

I've never once chosen to listen to an Aerosmith song, which doesn't mean I haven't heard them. During a period when the Stones obviously faltered, Columbia records successfully marketed into a void what Mercury couldn't with the New York Dolls and thereby met its need to push product.

Nobody would be at a loss if Aerosmith had remained a Boston bar band...except Run-DMC . They knew how to recycle the recycling and make something original.

Well, that certainly gives us another awesome song opening... thanks for the reminder!

Reaction Score
AC/DC- Beatin Around the Bush
All man Brothers - Black Hearted Woman
Dave Matthews - What Would You Say
Foo Fighters - Rope

I know it’s a piano but:
Billy Joel - Angry Young Man

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Well, that certainly gives us another awesome song opening... thanks for the reminder!
... which reminds me of a 'package deal' comment elsewhere yesterday, and reference to best guitarist seen live, and a two-fer that rivaled Hunter & Wagner with Lou Reed...

In 1979, Johnny Thunders came to the Great American Saloon (or was it still the Oxford Ale House?) in New Haven with his band Gang War, featuring special guest Wayne Kramer (who will fronting a 50th anniversary MC5 concert next month at the College Street Music Hall): fireworks and self-destruction on equal & ample display, documented in a bootleg titled "Anybody from Yale Here?," after a drugged-out Thunders query repeated ad nauseum between songs, along with, "Anybody here from the 'fahmacy'?"

But then I got reminded elsewhere still...

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
... which reminds me of a 'package deal' comment elsewhere yesterday, and reference to best guitarist seen live, and a two-fer that rivaled Hunter & Wagner with Lou Reed...

In 1979, Johnny Thunders came to the Great American Saloon (or was it still the Oxford Ale House?) in New Haven with his band Gang War, featuring special guest Wayne Kramer (who will fronting a 50th anniversary MC5 concert next month at the College Street Music Hall): fireworks and self-destruction on equal & ample display, documented in a bootleg titled "Anybody from Yale Here?," after a drugged-out Thunders query repeated ad nauseum between songs, along with, "Anybody here from the 'fahmacy'?"

Best I can recall, WNEW-FM's Vin Scelsa was the only DJ who ever played Flaming Groovies in the NYC market.

Speaking of Lou, I saw my Lou Reed "Berlin" post as most depressing album of all time was deleted because I put a verboten joke in at the end as a spoiler. I can't currently post in that thread, just wanted to note how IMO that thread devolved into a bunch of songs with sad stories instead of gut-wrenching emotional depression (with a couple notable exceptions). I'll still go with Berlin for an album that will ruin your day.

But I digress... since you mentioned New Haven, I thought of these guys, who played this at Toad's on their first-ever US tour and how the piano/bass opening immediately conjured up a smoky blues bar. And it's depressing to boot when you consider that things never change...

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I was at that show and it was Oxford Ale .Loved me some JT. He just wanted to be Keith and did the drugs to try to get there for sure.
My first cousin - also RIP - did sound for him for a time in the 80s so I met him at a show in Trenton at some dump venue. Cousin saw it all go down and assured me it was all true. Loved his cover of Chinese Rock.

Reaction Score
One of my very very first concerts...Cumberland County Civic Center ... Queen. Freddie Mercury singing the opening "Buddy, you're big boy..." everyone stomping the We Will Rock You...with a spotlight on him, then major flashlamps lighting up the arena, back to a spotlight on the guitar solo before We are the Champions. Pretty memorable...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom