Great opening song riffs | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Great opening song riffs

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
From Aerosmith Through Toys in the Attic, take your pick. One Way Street is a personal favorite and the songs where Brad Whitford plays lead are hidden gems (e.g. Nobody's Fault and Round and Round). They dropped off a bit starting with the Draw the Line record (read: heavy drug use), but there are still plenty of iconic Whitford/Perry riffs after that as well.

Reaction Score
I don’t mean to sound like an old man but seriously - reading through this thread it’s obvious they just aren’t making music like they used to.
These bands are epic
I mean if someone wants to point me towards newer bands from the last 5-10 years that are making great music like this let me know and I’ll take a listen

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
From Aerosmith Through Toys in the Attic, take your pick. One Way Street is a personal favorite and the songs where Brad Whitford plays lead are hidden gems (e.g. Nobody's Fault and Round and Round). They dropped off a bit starting with the Draw the Line record (read: heavy drug use), but there are still plenty of iconic Whitford/Perry riffs after that as well.
Has anyone mentioned this one?:

Husky25

Reaction Score
I don’t mean to sound like an old man but seriously - reading through this thread it’s obvious they just aren’t making music like they used to.
These bands are epic
I mean if someone wants to point me towards newer bands from the last 5-10 years that are making great music like this let me know and I’ll take a listen

Why Does Everyone Hate Nickelback?

Reaction Score
I Could list 10 by Zeppelin, When The Levee Breaks, Trampled Under Foot, The Song Remains The Same, Moby Dick, Kashmir, Whole Lotta Love, etc...but my favorite Zep opening is:

Good Times Bad Times - The first two notes will make you snow your pants if you aren't ready for it!
Gimme Shelter - Stones
Cowgirl In the Sand - Neil Young
Have A Cigar - Pink Floyd
Ball and Biscuit - White Stripes
Roadhouse Blues - The Doors
Rocker - AC/DC
Stranglehold - Ted Nugent
Spoonman - Soundgarden
Woodstock - CSNY
How Do You Like Me Now - The Heavy
Down South Junkin' - Skynyrd

How did I forget Sabotage by the Beastie Boys?

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
These bands are epic

I am an old man (62) and tend to agree as I noted a few posts ago. There's some good new stuff, but it's often not guitar based, or if it is, it's minimalist. And for me, the bands I like most of the new crop are sometimes female led - e.g. St. Vincent, Geowulf. And then there are bands that summon up visions of the past - if the lead singer of Greta Van Fleet is a Robert Plant wannabe, then the Titus Andronicus singer is a Paul Westerberg wannabe.

Probably not a style most old white guys would appreciate, but a local (Pittsburgh) guy I follow and really enjoy is Byron Nash. He's been involved in a lot of genre-bending projects, most notably Formula 412.

Nash has since moved onto more conventional guitar-based formats. Extremely talented guy, but music biz being what it is today, might never get past being a regional draw.

But we're not actually wrong when we old guys state that today's music sucks compared to what we grew up with. Science agrees!
Is Pop Music Evolving, or Is It Just Getting Louder?
The Dark Science of Pop Music
https://nypost.com/2015/10/04/your-favorite-song-on-the-radio-was-probably-written-by-these-two/

On a side note, I love a lot the late 60s-early 70s stuff (not so much the arena rock & hair bands that came after) but I wouldn't go pay to see any of them in their 60s or 70s. I got ripped by dozens of BYers for saying that a few months ago, but I'm just not paying top dollar for what are basically oldies acts where the lead singer is no longer in top form even if some of the players may have gotten a bit smoother with age. I don't want to bother having that argument again. Only exception to that rule is Gilmour, who's still putting out relevant stuff at 70+, and even he's sounding froggy these days, so if it's something familiar, yet new that your old ears desire, try a listen to "Rattle That Lock".

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Just played here two weeks ago. Debatable whether the entire band is a Zep knockoff, but lead singer is definitely a Plant wannabe. Pretty controversial on the Pittsburgh reddit forum - comments split between them being a ripoff tribute band and second coming of Christ.
They make Whitesnake look original. Just imho. They definitely have built a fan base.

Reaction Score
Would Alice in Chains

Fade to Black Metallica

Voodoo Child Jimi Hendrix

Sad But True Metallica

Sex type thing STP

Reaction Score
Maybe the most obvious of all inspired this mid summer post. Just heard it on WPLR. (Wish they would freshen the playlist but that is for a different rant.)

What are your songs where the first 8 or ten seconds grab you? Signature opening riffs?
I will just mention a couple and see who else plays along and adds.

1) The one that inspired this: Smoke on the Water
2) Can't You Hear Me Knocking. - Stones.
3) You Really Got Me - Kinks
Rolling stone. " the last time "
Eric Clapton " layla"

Reaction Score
Didn’t want to start a new thread so also list your favorite cowbell riffs here

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Just make sure they're cowbells and not woodblock (e.g. "Do Ya")!

Husky25

Reaction Score

No contest..."Gunter Glieben Glauten Globen."

Reaction Score
Never post and could give a rat's patootie about Nugent, but I have to take exception to the guy who said "Stranglehold" is his only good song. "The Great White Buffalo" is one of the greatest pure rock songs ever.

Ted has more good songs than the Beatles....

Reaction Score
Mississippi Queen by Mountain
Louie Louie by The Kingsmen
Blind in Texas by Wasp
Damn I am almost 70, I have heard so many songs, they just keep popping in my head ! I'm going to take my old man afternoon nap.

Mississippi Queen - awesome cowbell.
Close second for cowbell = Will Ferrell on SNL with Christopher Walken

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom