Great opening song riffs | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Great opening song riffs

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I Could list 10 by Zeppelin, When The Levee Breaks, Trampled Under Foot, The Song Remains The Same, Moby Dick, Kashmir, Whole Lotta Love, etc...but my favorite Zep opening is:

Good Times Bad Times - The first two notes will make you snow your pants if you aren't ready for it!
Gimme Shelter - Stones
Cowgirl In the Sand - Neil Young
Have A Cigar - Pink Floyd
Ball and Biscuit - White Stripes
Roadhouse Blues - The Doors
Rocker - AC/DC
Stranglehold - Ted Nugent
Spoonman - Soundgarden
Woodstock - CSNY
How Do You Like Me Now - The Heavy
Down South Junkin' - Skynyrd

I'll use "by the way, which one's pink?" line at work when people start talking out their asses way outside their knowledge base. 90%+ of the time it's met with blank stares. The occasional eye contact and muffled laugh makes it worth using the line when someone gets it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Ted has more good songs than the Beatles....

Yet the average music listener can likely name only one Nugent song. And advanced music listener perhaps three. Maybe four if you count Amboy Dukes. Why is that?

Reaction Score
The Guess Who - No Time
T. Rex - Get It On
The Men - Church of Logic Sin and Love (Does anyone remember this one? Everything was Aquamarine.....Aquamarine)
Muse - Supermassive Black Hole
Muse is super under-rated talent wise.

Reaction Score
You sure it wasn't Ian McLagan? He was like 5'4" and legend has it he could drink most everyone here under the table.

Speaking of which, I was so confused with AXS-tv showing episodes of the "Ronnie Wood Show" this summer and calling them "premieres" as one episode featured the late Ian McLagan who passed in 2014. I had to double check that he was still dead.
I wouldn't know if he was Ian McLagan, but I think he was taller than that. He was probably in his early 40s at the time, and this was about 2010. The band I think was called Deb and the Dynamics. They were great for a cover band at some random bar on a beach. He could play that keyboard though. TBH one of the best performances I have seen, that particular song, up close. I have seen Elton and Billy Joel but of course I was 300 miles away and couldn't see them working the keys. He was so damn drunk, and playing that song with one hand and totally killing it by the way, that while drooling and drinking his beer he was grabbing ass on girls walking by him during the song. And still killing it.
It was the best keyboard performance I have ever seen from a cover band. I have seen many cover bands, like most of us.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I didn't see this yet. Such a memorable intro

Pearl Jam - Alive

They are a live band that is the best touring act in the biz imho.

Saw them open for the stones (previously mentioned) and a couple years back flew out and saw them at United Center in Chicago. 18k people didn't sit down the whole show. Next day my buddy and I grabbed bleachers seats at Wrigley and Eddie did "Take me out to the ballgame" in the 7th. He is from The Chi and still a Cubs fan. Too bad he didn't make Cubby Bear after. Would have bought him a beer ...

Reaction Score
Wow, a lot of great music mentioned in the eight pages here. But I can't understand how "Satisfaction" is not mentioned.
Another great is 'Can't Explain" by the Who.

Reading all this sent me to the vinyl rack and dug out a few to lay on the turntable! Thanks

zepfan

I'll make it.
Reaction Score
Maybe the most obvious of all inspired this mid summer post. Just heard it on WPLR. (Wish they would freshen the playlist but that is for a different rant.)

What are your songs where the first 8 or ten seconds grab you? Signature opening riffs?
I will just mention a couple and see who else plays along and adds.

1) The one that inspired this: Smoke on the Water
2) Can't You Hear Me Knocking. - Stones.
3) You Really Got Me - Kinks
When I read the title of your post, I immediately thought of "Can't you hear me knockin." Then I read your post and there it was!! :) Although Led Zeppelin's "Black Dog" begins with vocals, the opening guitar riff which remains throughout the song is among the best.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom