Great Gottlieb article taking a shot at Boeheim's success | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Great Gottlieb article taking a shot at Boeheim's success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I can name you 10 coaches today that are better than JB, never mind all time.

Reaction Score
F Gottleib. He hates Boeheim, because when he criticizes Cuse, Boeheim brings up his theft and dismissal from Notre Dame.

Love Jimmy for that.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Can people read this and understand that not every article or personality at ESPN is given exactly what to say? ESPN is pushing crap like hashtags for JB on games yet one of their lead analysts wrote this.

Reaction Score
Can people read this and understand that not every article or personality at ESPN is given exactly what to say? ESPN is pushing crap like hashtags for JB on games yet one of their lead analysts wrote this.
He left to go to cbssports

Reaction Score

Gottlieb works for CBS now

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Gottlieb works for CBS now

Shows how little I pay attention to him. Nevermind - they are right it's a conspiracy! :)

18% of JB's wins came against NY schools that aren't St. John's. That is really the only thing you need to know about that guy's record.

Reaction Score
gottlieb nailed it on the head..............lack of postseason success and few established pros....both draw a parallel with coaching. before the start of any big east season, syracuse has 10-12+ wins vs the likes of lemoyne, colgate, monmouth, etc......boeheim is like a baseball player who plays 22 years, has 3000 hits and a lifetime batting avg. of .260.................hardly impressive.

Reaction Score
He is so out of touch, watching the clown go go at it with Seth, it's personal with him, when Seth said Knight went his last 21 years with only 1 elite and they consider him a great coach, his mouth was clothes

Reaction Score
It's like I said a few weeks back. Ray Reid is the Jim Boeheim of soccer

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
He is so out of touch, watching the clown go go at it with Seth, it's personal with him, when Seth said Knight went his last 21 years with only 1 elite and they consider him a great coach, his mouth was clothes
Some people really need to install a breathalyzer keyboard interlock.

Reaction Score

Bob Knight is one of the greatest basketball minds ever. His stubbornness attributed to his lack of success in his later days as a coach.

Reaction Score
Bob Knight is one of the greatest basketball minds ever. His stubbornness attributed to his lack of success in his later days as a coach.

Bobby Knight never had the players JB had so let's not go there........Knight is certainly one of the top 10 greatest minds and coaches in history. JB only has the argument.......

Reaction Score
Knight had great players; then he couldn't adapt to the modern player and he fell off.

Reaction Score
Knight had great players; then he couldn't adapt to the modern player and he fell off.

You see it that way I see it as modern players having posse's and people in their ears and don't adapt to real good coaching, instead they have people making the believe a guy like the Squid is equal to Bobby Knight and that's not close. You are correct in the fact he can't accept the new "personalities" and that's a shame because they would be better basketball players if the likes of him were coaching them!!

Any by the way can you name the "great" players he had really?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Besides Derrick Rose/Marcus Camby, the Squid hasn't had much NBA success.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Gottlieb is great at trolling, but he's got a good reason to troll Boehiem after all of the praise he's getting for his 900 wins. It's a great feat, but I don't think he's a great coach either.

Outside of Melo, Cuse hasn't had many impact players in the NBA.
1 National Title for all of those wins... again, bailed out by Melo.
We all know that Cuse blows it in the NCAA tournament.
Considering the campus in upstate NY, Boeheim was instrumental in getting good recruits for HIS SYSTEM, but that never really translated to much when it mattered (in the NCAA or for his players in the NBA).
Was anyone ever really concerned about Boeheim OUTCOACHING Calhoun in a game? I know I wasn't.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Eh, he really did pick against UConn every single game during the 11 win run, even against DePaul in the 1st one. He also advised a recruit not to go to UConn.
yeah it was roscoe

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
F Gottleib. He hates Boeheim, because when he criticizes Cuse, Boeheim brings up his theft and dismissal from Notre Dame.

Love Jimmy for that.

Wasn't aware of this so I googled it. It's entertaining.

By the way I thought the article is fair. Boeheim acheived what he achieved and it is noteworthy but Gottlieb's commentary on how many of the wins were manufactured is legitamate.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I disagree with the article. First, outside of Melo, Syracuse does not get the recruits of Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas,... He has taken high level recruits and won 900 games in the Big East! Are there better coaches? Sure, but not more than a handful. And, over the past 10 years, BE >>>ACC, so is Coach K's record suspect?

Clearly though, Jim Calhoun is a better coach and of course I am biased!
There was a stretch from the mid 1980's to early 1990's where Cuse was bringing in as much talent as anyone.

Reaction Score
You see it that way I see it as modern players having posse's and people in their ears and don't adapt to real good coaching, instead they have people making the believe a guy like the Squid is equal to Bobby Knight and that's not close. You are correct in the fact he can't accept the new "personalities" and that's a shame because they would be better basketball players if the likes of him were coaching them!!

Any by the way can you name the "great" players he had really?
He had this guy named ishiah Thomas but he sucked.

Not gonna list anymore because the fact you think he didn't have great players tells me enough

Reaction Score
I'll help you out here Jerry since you're the brain around here about the legend known as Bobby Knight..........he had some nice players there's no doubt but he also suffered the same fate as many of the Duke players these days, McD AA's because of who they are choosing......again like you I will only name a couple, although you picked out the easy one because I imagine you are such a basketball intellect right? Isaiah was a toughie I'm sure you needed to look it up!!

He coached at IU from 71 to 2000 in case you didn't know Jer.....anyway I can't say who was a highly rated recruit coming out besides Isaiah but we all know he had good players......I would guess out of the May, Buckner and benson team there may have been one, but heck they went undefeated and I don't think K or Roy or JB or Cal with all of their AA's did that now did they Jer? Just saying.......oh yeah and Woodson, Wittman, Kitchel any of those guys McD AA's? Alford probably was, maybe Jay Edwards? How about Damon Bailey, he was but was he deserving or just a prodigy as well as Neil Reed, again gong to Indiana you're an AA.........Maybe Cheaney, Guyton? Brian Evans I guess could have been............I'm sure there could be more but my point is Jerry I promise you he didn't have as many as Dean Smith, K, Roy, Cal, Rupp, Wooden or even JB......and he was a better coach than all but a couple of those guys and fairly easy!!!

Your volley or can I just thank you for your interest in UConn basketball and wish you a Happy Holiday??;)

Reaction Score
JB has always been known as "the coach that does the least with the most"

Reaction Score
gottlieb nailed it on the head..............lack of postseason success and few established pros....both draw a parallel with coaching. before the start of any big east season, syracuse has 10-12+ wins vs the likes of lemoyne, colgate, monmouth, etc......boeheim is like a baseball player who plays 22 years, has 3000 hits and a lifetime batting avg. of .260.................hardly impressive.
Jim Boeheim....the Craig Biggio of college coaching

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/biggicr01.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member