Great Gottlieb article taking a shot at Boeheim's success | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Great Gottlieb article taking a shot at Boeheim's success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
• Jim Calhoun won nine Big East regular-season titles, seven Big East tournament titles, went to nine Elite Eights and four Final Fours, winning three. Essentially Calhoun took over an inferior program in the same league as Boeheim, won 2 percent fewer games per year (scheduling is a partial factor), won more league titles, more league tournament titles, went to twice as many Elite Eights, 1 more Final Four and won three more championships in six years less in the Big East.

JB is a great coach, and deservedly in the Hall of Fame. He's gotten to the 900 win mark (awesome), gotten recruits to come to Syracuse (difficult), and won a (1) title - playing exclusively zone. But...................., he's not JC.

Great post. Shows why JC was a much better coach than JB. Basically, he did everything better, including making players better, and, getting them into the NBA.

Reaction Score
i love that you guys have nothing better to talk about than Head Coach Jim Boeheim.

Reaction Score
i love that you guys have nothing better to talk about than Head Coach Jim Boeheim.

I love even more that you have nothing better to do than troll a UConn board and make disparaging comments regarding what we talk about on our board.

Now I look forward to what argument you can possibly work up that puts JB above JC in coaches all time. Should be interesting.

Reaction Score
Is there any fan base in America that says "Man, I wish we could get a coach like JB"?

Reaction Score

Check your board out homer always a thread which eventually leads to UConn I promise..........everyone sucks but the Cuse, the absolute best form of comedy I can find on the internet. When I need a laugh I hit the Orange Forum because 90% of the posters are a joke and know little about basketball outside of the Cuse.......but hey it's yours right? So stay there and keep your comments to yourself........

Reaction Score

It's topical, he won his 900th game, Gottleib wrote his article. People are talking about Boeheim on B1G boards, never mind intraconference. Also a bizarre comment from you given the many Calhoun threads over the years on your own board.

Reaction Score
yeah probably at least 3oo+ of them LOL

Your interest in UConn basketball has been noted orangehomer.........thanks for stopping by and happy holidays to you and dasher, prancer, Doctor Bombay, rrllees and so many other loyal Jim Calhoun fans.

Now fo duckk yourself!!;)

Reaction Score
I don't really see how it is even debatable whether Boeheim is a great coach or not. He is. He may not be quite as great as Calhoun or a whole bunch of others, but when you ask whether or not any other programs are sitting there wishing for a coach like JB as their coach, I guarantee you there are a ton of them.

Debate all you want whether or not he is a top 10 coach, I think that's a legitimate debate. But whether or not he's great...ehhh

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
If Jim Calhoun and Jim Boeheim got in a fist fight, Boeheim's wife would be a widow.

Reaction Score
I don't really see how it is even debatable whether Boeheim is a great coach or not. He is. He may not be quite as great as Calhoun or a whole bunch of others, but when you ask whether or not any other programs are sitting there wishing for a coach like JB as their coach, I guarantee you there are a ton of them.

Debate all you want whether or not he is a top 10 coach, I think that's a legitimate debate. But whether or not he's great...ehhh

Maybe numbers say he's great, BIG wins w/o Melo say he's not??? Maybe a little full court man-to-man vs certain match ups get him more, who knows? But 900 wins speaks volumes and anyone who would put Jim Phelan in the mix and not JB has to rethink that.........

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I don't know if I could be a Cuse fan, even if I lived in upstate New York. Every year losing to teams like Vermont and Butler sure is depressing.

Reaction Score
I've never been a boeheim lover. I think Gottleib gets it pretty right. He is a good coach who won lots of games because he has coached a long time. You never heard anyone trying to copy his style, nor did his name ever come up for open jobs anywhere. And he tends to let his players get away with lots of things, some pretty serious, with little or no repercussions. And I really do buy the media connection argument, too. Syracuse seems to be the alma mater of half the broadcasters in the country. So they tend to go easy on the old school when some incident or other comes up.

Reaction Score
I've never been a boeheim lover. I think Gottleib gets it pretty right. He is a good coach who won lots of games because he has coached a long time. You never heard anyone trying to copy his style, nor did his name ever come up for open jobs anywhere. And he tends to let his players get away with lots of things, some pretty serious, with little or no repercussions. And I really do buy the media connection argument, too. Syracuse seems to be the alma mater of half the broadcasters in the country. So they tend to go easy on the old school when some incident or other comes up.
The media thing is also because Syracuse is a 1 paper town. The Post-Standard isn't writing anything bad about the Syracuse basketball team. They're not digging for stuff like the horde who are all competing against each other. Show me the last time Mike Waters wrote anything criticizing the basketball team or anything to do with it. Also, the other major papers in upstate New York, like the Rochester paper, are so far away that they're not in Syracuse that often to cover the ins and outs of the team. This all makes the coverage of the Syracuse basketball team a kinder gentler media than we're used to with the Huskies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom