Great Gottlieb article taking a shot at Boeheim's success | The Boneyard

Great Gottlieb article taking a shot at Boeheim's success

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...y-great-win-total-but-great-coach-not-so-much

Dont know if this link will work but even though Gottlieb has taken a lot of heat here, i agree with him 100% in this article when he says Boeheim is an overrated coach. I know many of us on here feel the same way including myself. He points out how his teams under achieve in the Tournament as well as playing a weak OOC schedule every year which is why his win total is so high. He also compares him to other coaches including Calhoun. He pretty much said JC is a better coach then JB. Great read and i suggest you check it out.

Reaction Score
Gottlieb doing his thing on CBS now...Katz taking Boeheim's side. Gottlieb really hates Cuse.

Reaction Score
• Jim Calhoun won nine Big East regular-season titles, seven Big East tournament titles, went to nine Elite Eights and four Final Fours, winning three. Essentially Calhoun took over an inferior program in the same league as Boeheim, won 2 percent fewer games per year (scheduling is a partial factor), won more league titles, more league tournament titles, went to twice as many Elite Eights, 1 more Final Four and won three more championships in six years less in the Big East.

Reaction Score
Last 5 seasons plus this season, Cuse has played 9 OOC ranked teams. UConn has played 16.

Reaction Score
Really well written piece. Finally something I can agree w Gottlieb on

Reaction Score
I disagree with the article. First, outside of Melo, Syracuse does not get the recruits of Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas,... He has taken high level recruits and won 900 games in the Big East! Are there better coaches? Sure, but not more than a handful. And, over the past 10 years, BE >>>ACC, so is Coach K's record suspect?

Clearly though, Jim Calhoun is a better coach and of course I am biased!

Reaction Score
Gottlieb can come off as a smug at times, but I've always been cool with him because he has always given props to Calhoun when others in the media have overlooked him, and he doesn't let the public dictate his opinion.

Reaction Score
JB is not an elite coach. I've never watched a SU game where I've been awed by his coaching. His teams choke constantly in the early rounds.

Melo not only singlehandedly gave JB his only NC, he also gave the program street cred that has helped them in recruiting the last few years.

If by an act of God JB was named UConn's coach tomorrow - I would be disappointed.

Reaction Score
I disagree with the article. First, outside of Melo, Syracuse does not get the recruits of Duke, Kentucky, North Carolina, Kansas,... He has taken high level recruits and won 900 games in the Big East! Are there better coaches? Sure, but not more than a handful. And, over the past 10 years, BE >>>ACC, so is Coach K's record suspect?

Clearly though, Jim Calhoun is a better coach and of course I am biased!
http://www.syracuse.com/orangebasketball/index.ssf/2012/11/with_three_top_10_classes_in_t.html

http://statsheet.com/mcb/teams/syracuse/recruiting

Don't give him too much credit, dude recruits

Reaction Score
He has always brought in high ranking recruits since I can remember........from Bouie & Louie to now he has had a hotbed of players and kudo's for him to build that place into somewhere these kids want to go......

As far as a Top 10 coach there's an argument either way you look at it, his numbers too good to deny that at least!

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Boeheim can't win when it matters. Bottom line.

Reaction Score
I'm not a fan of Bomani Jones because of how sensitive he comes across on twitter, but he was dead on in comparing Boheim to Lenny Wilkins. Both guys racked up alot of wins but don't quite stack up with the legends of the game when you compare resumes.

Reaction Score
Boeheim is a top 10 coach. I'd take JC over him; but he's had tremendous success over a long time.

Reaction Score
I give Boeheim more credit than all of you here. He is good enough that when he leaves, Syracuse under Hopkins is going to experience a very rude awakening.

Reaction Score
JB is not an elite coach. I've never watched a SU game where I've been awed by his coaching. His teams choke constantly in the early rounds.

Melo not only singlehandedly gave JB his only NC, he also gave the program street cred that has helped them in recruiting the last few years.

If by an act of God JB was named UConn's coach tomorrow - I would be disappointed.

THANK YOU! I've been saying this for the longest and Cuse fans want to talk about Hopkins and this and that assistant, Melo's the main reason for their recruiting resurgence. You hear it from every recruit that they sign how big a fan of Melo they are, even Kemba wears 15 because of Melo. I'm hoping Kemba can have that same level of impact on recruiting as he improves over the years.

Reaction Score
"... he is not as confrontational as retired UConn coach Jim Calhoun, for example, but Calhoun's teams were tougher, better in the tournament."
3-1 national titles says it all.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
"... he is not as confrontational as retired UConn coach Jim Calhoun, for example, but Calhoun's teams were tougher, better in the tournament."
3-1 national titles says it all.

Success is measured by how you win against the highest level of competition. Usually the highest level of competition is found in the Final 4, not the opening rounds.

Reaction Score
every fanbase in america thinks gottlieb hates them and is out to get them, except when he says something about another team. then hes just being real and telling it like it is

Eh, he really did pick against UConn every single game during the 11 win run, even against DePaul in the 1st one. He also advised a recruit not to go to UConn.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Doug Gottlieb needs an editor. That thing could've been one-third the length and lost none of its meaning. I like a Boeheim bash as much as anyone, but man that was boring.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Beating a dead horse here but my issue with JB is that he only considers himself a basketball coach, not the leader of the basketball program. He has recruited well and his overall record is impressive, but he has made it clear that issues such as players shoplifting, beating up their girlfriends, sleeping with the associate coach's wife are none of his concern

Reaction Score
I lock up my whenever Gottlieb is around. Amazes me that he has a pulpit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member