Great Geno Show | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Great Geno Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That was the worst Geno show I have ever seen. He was whining about the refs and the spoiled UConn fans....Of course he had his sidekick yucking it up constantly.
He was not only whining, but I thought he was actually more depressed than I remember him ever being -- disappointed just like many of us.

Reaction Score
Why all the hate from Geno on his show? Tell us again about how much money you make. Gee-wiz; a few questions from the press about losing a very winnable game and everyone is the enemy.

How about some reflection on how the individuals and team is progressing vs. where they can get to instead of some snit about fans being spoiled. A lot of fans are knowledgeable and unlike some teams fans, not all Uconn fans have orange colored glasses where we think the coach can not make any mistakes.

You stated how coaches and players (and refs) make mistakes and then refuse to accept any questions about your coaching: in terms of lineups, individual skills improvement, game strategy and in game adjustments.

1. Dolson is not athletic enough to be focal point of offense as scoring center against “good” teams. Her move is “catch and finish”; not something that you can get more than a couple of times a game. Even FD stopped it.
  2. Other than Bria, (and Tiff if has open lane) none of the girls are comfortable moving in the open court with the ball; Doty in particular does not make plays and/or passes too quickly up to the deep wing (with little to gain and lot of turnovers) or stops for shot instead of driving; Kelly over passes rather than finishing. Practice their handle and being comfortable finishing themselves where that is the play – this will also help stop all the walks and carries.
  3. Heather is best rebounding (especially offensive) and defending center, needs some meaningful minutes. In less than half the playing minutes Heather has 5 fewer offensive rebounds and about the same number of blocks and steals as Dolson. And this isn’t all against scrubs, Heather played a little more than half as much as Dolson against Baylor and had same number of rebounds and one more block and steal than Dolson. Heather is almost shooting 60% from the field (higher than Dolson).
  4. How many open 3’s does the 2-3 zone need to give up before you put it out of its misery.
  5. Passing offense is good, but the good teams (Baylor and ND) take away the three point line, Dolson covered (can’t get open or comes out real high) which leaves only drives (or Kelly 3’s). 2nd half of both Baylor and ND games tough hand checking took KML out, Bria tried to be one man offense off dribble (Tiff more against Baylor). Answer – Stef (or Heather) in low post, flash Kelly or KML to foul line and let them make plays.
  6. Working Banks and Kiah in for real minutes is good. Especially Kiah as PF and Banks for press.

Against anyone other than Baylor, ND and Duke (or real good game by Rutgers/Gtwn/NC) before the NCAA tournament it is unlikely that Uconn will lose regardless of any improvement in play. The Uconn players are that good. So the only time can really judge coaching is in these games and so far it is two losses where Uconn seemed to have the upper hand for much of the games.

Uconn is so good I would expect that a team of Heather, Kiah, Michala, KML and Banks would be a top 25 team and would beat the starting Uconn unit more times than Uconn will lose this year. I doubt Stef eats Heather up in practice, Doty would have her hands full with KML, Banks would dog Hartley, Kiah would be a lot for Faris to handle and would be hard for Tiff to step up against Michala to carry the starting five.

In fact if practice is the most important thing, I’d like to see the Uconn 1st and 2nd teams play each other in 1st one to 11 to see who starts the next game.

Chill out Geno, fans have fun asking questions, Toto is not going to pull back the curtain and expose the Wizard of Uconn and ruin your million $ gig.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Once again: this board reeaaalllly needs an ignore button.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
There is now an Ignore feature. To Ignore a poster, click on that person's handle. A brief Profile will come up that includes the Ignore button.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
Uconn is so good I would expect that a team of Heather, Kiah, Michala, KML and Banks would be a top 25 team and would beat the starting Uconn unit more times than Uconn will lose this year. I doubt Stef eats Heather up in practice, Doty would have her hands full with KML, Banks would dog Hartley, Kiah would be a lot for Faris to handle and would be hard for Tiff to step up against Michala to carry the starting five.

You gots to be kidding

bruinbball

@biglurp
Reaction Score
Kelly over passes rather than finishing.

Her A/TO ratio compared to her FG % tells me her passing is just fine and probably preferred to her shooting.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I really liked the Geno show. Picking on the fans I thought was very entertaining and Geno just having fun with it. The replays showing the refs missing easy calls ala Carolines layup and slapping Bria in the elbow both were discussed on the Boneyard and I thought were great and Genos comments about ND fouling every play and showing replays to back it up and all the rest was great to get out in the open. Maybe the refs will take note. Hey The Geno Show is entertainment just think you could be watching Pat Summitt????? LOL That would increase sales of Bayor asprin. LOL

Reaction Score
That was the worst Geno show I have ever seen. He was whining about the refs and the spoiled UConn fans....Of course he had his sidekick yucking it up constantly.
The one thing I think Geno does wrong is to get after the "spoiled" Uconn fans. Many of you know how much blood, sweat and tears we put forth following this team. It is not wrong for a true fan to question something which may make their rooting experience better. He will never know how many real fans plan their work and leisure times to follow his team, nor how much time they spend each day reading about the team in the newspapers and on sites such as the Boneyard.
I have never met Geno, but he seems like a real likeable guy. It is too bad that he, at times, rips the people who support him the most. You know he likes to win(who doesn't?), but don't make fun of the people who want it just as bad as you do.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There is an ignore button. Click on the offending posters name and when the inset pops up look towards the upper right hand corner. Click on ignore and all sign of my offending posts disappear. Oops.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I really liked the Geno show. Picking on the fans I thought was very entertaining and Geno just having fun with it. The replays showing the refs missing easy calls ala Carolines layup and slapping Bria in the elbow both were discussed on the Boneyard and I thought were great and Genos comments about ND fouling every play and showing replays to back it up and all the rest was great to get out in the open. Maybe the refs will take note. Hey The Geno Show is entertainment just think you could be watching Pat Summitt????? LOL That would increase sales of Bayor asprin. LOL

Tony he wasn't "picking on the fans" as much as he was dissing them. He was calling out fans that criticized play or coaching as "haters." His spoiled fans and unreasonable expectations routine is just plain getting old - and not at all true. Many of us expected UConn to lose the ND game, is that unreasonable?

Do you expect UConn to win every game? I expect that you may. If that's the case he was dumping on you too.

I thought he came across like a 6 year old when he whined about certain fouls being called against UConn and not ND. If he has problems with the officials - don't we all - the right place for a coach to complain is in an appropriate context and in private, like an adult.

Personally, I am putting Auriemma in a time out. I will not buy any tickets this year (OK I probably wouldn't have anyway - I'm still miffed from last year's anti fan rant among other anti fan things from UConn) but now I'm thinking of boycotting his restaurant too. I don't buy his wine because it's not very good, or his sauce because it's probably not very good, so the restaurant is all I have left. :(

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
vtc, not one bit of what Geno said as you are interpreting it. At most he was identifying a small percentage of fans and acknowledging this is the monster that UConn has built with its success.

Reaction Score
So, let me get this straight. Geno is busting fans that complain, and then fans complain about that.

You guys crack me up. It's basketball to us, it's his livelyhood. Yet so many take this so seriously.

Great entertainment!

Agreed. For years we attempted to defend Geno's sense of humor when fans of other teams "didn't get him". Now we're attempting to do the same with his actual fans?

Lord, love a duck:)

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
the Geno show was GREAT... but I disagree with one thing, Diggins poked that ball out rather she 'tapped" the elbow is a silly complaint!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
the Geno show was GREAT... but I disagree with one thing, Diggins poked that ball out rather she 'tapped" the elbow is a silly complaint!
No, it is a regularly called foul and is specifically against the rules. it is a hack.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
obviously not... it wasnt called against Diggins.

Diggins isnt the first player to do the wrap around steal... Bria, Renee, Tiff, Maya (the list goes on and on) has poked the ball out, oh but of course they did it without touch the dribbler :rolleyes:

stop whining about the play... I actually preferred you say "see, thats why Bria needs to tighten up on her dribbling" but nope we want to see the replay over and over and over against and blame the refs cause Bria elbow got tapped.

If they didnt call all the real fouls why would you expect them to call the "tapping on the elbow"

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Of three occasions when Diggins went back door only once did she actually get the ball twice she hit the arm of the player. It is a foul and officials are taught to call it as such.

DC, I'm not whining about the play, simply want the game called properly. When a exchange of possession occurs on a violation you have to blow the whistle.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Listening to this clip from tonight's Channel 8 news made me wonder if Geno's "rant" against us fans was more in defense of his players' feelings. Might give some here another perspective if you listen to the end:

http://www.wtnh.com/subindex/sports/uconn_huskies
I think that is exactly what was going on in this clip and in the last Geno Show.

One change I have noticed over the years is that the media seems to be allowed more access to the kids. Kids want to see what they said in the media and that means they are likely reading of these comments. It can be hard to take as a late teen or new 20 something. Geno has always tended to do things that take the heat of the team and puts it square on his shoulders.

Reaction Score
I think that is exactly what was going on in this clip and in the last Geno Show.

One change I have noticed over the years is that the media seems to be allowed more access to the kids. Kids want to see what they said in the media and that means they are likely reading of these comments. It can be hard to take as a late teen or new 20 something. Geno has always tended to do things that take the heat of the team and puts it square on his shoulders.
exactly, how come most of us get it that he is trying to protect his kids fromunfair high expectations from us fans? Me thinks a certain segment of this fan base likes the team but not the coach for whatever reason.

Reaction Score
Officials ought to be more alert at the end of the game especially. Bria's dribble was tight enough if Diggins did indeed get her on the elbow. So instead of watching a great player (Bria) make the spectacular she now has to think twice or worst yet, hesitate, because she can't count on the officials. And if a UConn player commits a foul, please call it. All I ever hear is how Geno teaches them not to foul, then he teaches them some more. I don't like investing my time for an entire game - I realize I have a choice - to have the obvious call not made at the end of a game. Diggins has to have B. Stewart reach to make that play work. I'm not dwelling but Geno has to let the refs know for the next time - that's his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom