Great Geno Show | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Great Geno Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Even with the double standard in fouls called against UCONN and not Notre Dame, UCONN still should have won the game in regulation if they didn't miss so many foul shots.
Yep, every game you must beat everyone on the floor.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
That was the worst Geno show I have ever seen. He was whining about the refs and the spoiled UConn fans....Of course he had his sidekick yucking it up constantly.

I thought Auriemma was really defensive. He has always struck me as one of those ego guys that have no problem dishing it out but can't take any criticism.

I am really getting tired of his "expectations" bull. It's the same old rant about the fans after every loss. Of course the fans have high expectations but if the BY is any indication of fan expectations for this team he would know that most fans were expecting several losses this year and the majority expected a tough go at ND. He needs to understand that fans are going to analyze and comment on a loss. He also needs to understand that some are going to look at the game as a stand alone and the team's record over the last umpteen years has nothing to do with it.

We should take a poll. How many BY fans jumped off a bridge or climbed out on a ledge?

Nice to hear that Buck was not injured for the ND game but it makes it tougher to understand why she didn't get some minutes. I'm not sure I understand the "no offense" label Auriemma has hung on Buck. She has a higher shooting percentage, gets to the FT line about the same and actually produces more PPM than Dolson. She's also a better rebounder.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
OK - I get it. Coach responds to each loss, however few they are, or win that's not "win enough", and the unavoidable analysis that goes along with it, by venting about the unreasonable expectations of the fans.

But, I don't get how Coach can spend half a TV show sarcastically chastising UConn fans - the very folks watching and funding the show - for expecting wins, spurred by Ms. Culmo's incessant insipid droning about how spoiled we fans are - and not receive significant grief here.

Do people think - "Oh that's them. I'm not like that. I'm cool?"

I take it as a direct, inaccurate, vapid insult.

Think about - we're watching a show on women's basketball that we helped fund, and it's host and star are basically labeling us a collective bunch of ingrates (to be kind).

UConn women's basketball fans have proven time and time again to be the most enthusiastic, dedicated, intelligent, accommodating fans in the country. They travel. They flood Pat Summit's office with get well wishes. They cheer the excellence of a visiting team' star, even during a bad loss (North Carolina a few years ago). They engage on boards such as this.

Most importantly - they are invested in their team to a degree not seen anywhere else in the country.

So - the team wins massive amounts of games, and the fans are let down when they lose. What would he have them do? Hold hands and sing Kumbaya? Perhaps Coach would be happier if Gampel entertained 126 fans per game - all of whom were happy, peppy and bursting with love, regardless of the result?

New York fans, I'm embarrassed to say, booed Mickey Mantle. Reggie Jackson. Derek Jeter. Patrick Ewing. A plane flew over Giants Stadium toting a banner proclaiming "15 Years of Lousy Football - We've Had Enough." A rather large sign at Giants Stadium reported, "Eli was adopted!" (he saw it and laughed).

Has anyone ever heard any UConn player, superstar or last minute sub, booed at home? EVER?

Spoiled UConn fans? Please.

INVESTED UConn fans.

Frankly, he should be thrilled he's got a fan base that's crushed when their team loses.

So they criticize after a loss.

So what?

Someone should forward this to Harriet. Maybe Culmo could read it on the next Geno Show.

Reaction Score
OK - I get it. Coach responds to each loss, however few they are, or win that's not "win enough", and the unavoidable analysis that goes along with it, by venting about the unreasonable expectations of the fans.

But, I don't get how Coach can spend half a TV show sarcastically chastising UConn fans - the very folks watching and funding the show - for expecting wins, spurred by Ms. Culmo's incessant insipid droning about how spoiled we fans are - and not receive significant grief here.

Do people think - "Oh that's them. I'm not like that. I'm cool?"

I take it as a direct, inaccurate, vapid insult.

Think about - we're watching a show on women's basketball that we helped fund, and it's host and star are basically labeling us a collective bunch of ingrates (to be kind).

UConn women's basketball fans have proven time and time again to be the most enthusiastic, dedicated, intelligent, accommodating fans in the country. They travel. They flood Pat Summit's office with get well wishes. They cheer the excellence of a visiting team' star, even during a bad loss (North Carolina a few years ago). They engage on boards such as this.

Most importantly - they are invested in their team to a degree not seen anywhere else in the country.

So - the team wins massive amounts of games, and the fans are let down when they lose. What would he have them do? Hold hands and sing Kumbaya? Perhaps Coach would be happier if Gampel entertained 126 fans per game - all of whom were happy, peppy and bursting with love, regardless of the result?

New York fans, I'm embarrassed to say, booed Mickey Mantle. Reggie Jackson. Derek Jeter. Patrick Ewing. A plane flew over Giants Stadium toting a banner proclaiming "15 Years of Lousy Football - We've Had Enough." A rather large sign at Giants Stadium reported, "Eli was adopted!" (he saw it and laughed).

Has anyone ever heard any UConn player, superstar or last minute sub, booed at home? EVER?

Spoiled UConn fans? Please.

INVESTED UConn fans.

Frankly, he should be thrilled he's got a fan base that's crushed when their team loses.

So they criticize after a loss.

So what?
I hope I'm not alone in being as disgusted by all this negativity as you seem to be about how a great coach, (trying to protect his players) is a whiner.
Credit him for one thing if nothing else. He answers questions honestly and doesn't give vanilla answers to pertinent questions.Isn't all this Bu----
booing. Read the first post here and learn

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
My problem with his show last night is that he deflected all the blame for the ND loss away from himself. IMO we lost because he didn't manage to give Bria a breather or two, something Muffett did twice for both Diggins and Novocel. All one needs to do is go to the game log and see what Bria did during the last 5 minutes of regulation and in overtime....basically nothing. Whose fault is that?

Reaction Score
Havent seen one of these in a while, and I missed the first few minutes, but some great stuff ...

• Can't put Stef in low post, because otherwise they double off Kelly's man, and then it's all on Kelly. Only works if all 4 perimeter players are scoring threats. That said, even if Kelly shoots, it still doesn't solve the problem of getting Stef the ball more. ... As a result, they need to move Stef around a lot.
  • Kiah needs to assert herself more.
  • Buck didn't play because we needed offense. Defense wasnt the problem.
  • KML, like most frosh, pouts when things don't go well.
  • Bria takes on responsibility to do the stuff in big games. But she also makes too many mistakes. Wouldnt be as much of an issue if she had more help.
  • Team does not seem to have a leader. Geno downplayed this, but I thought MPC correctly pushed this point.
  • Diggins did foul Bria on late steal; and Doty did not travel on that layup.
  • ND's late steal and baseline layup to tie -- Tiff just stood there defensively.
  • This is one of the worst teams he's coached at getting the ball into the post.
  • Banks has made a lot of progress in practice since Xmas. Geno expects solid contributions from her soon.
  • Kelly wears different sneakers because she has bad feet and this was the only comfortable shoe they could find for her.
  • Before her wrist injury, Buck was playing well defensively. Wrist certainly won't help offense.
  • They have questioned BE head of officials on seeming discrepancy between Diggins/Novosel getting fouls, but Hartley not.

I think BB has to get more playing time in blowouts so we have another guard who can beat quality opponents like Baylor & ND off the dribble like BH does. My other thought concerned LE. She does have nice shooting form, and isn't getting much PT. Why not develop her into a designated 3 point shooting threat like Dennis Scott was for games like Baylor where we frankly have not hit from outside but desperately need to? SOMEBODY aside from Bria has to step up and hit the 3 against Baylor, and while we will lose some quickness on defense when LE comes in, our problem hasn't been defense against Baylor & ND down the stretch, it's been lack of scoring. Why not have her work exclusively in practice on hitting the 3 and then bring her in for a minute or two with the starting unit in games we expect to romp in so she can get some good looks and see what happens? I don't think we can continue to ignore this lack of offense in certain big games down the stretch. LE came to UConn with confidence. I don't know if she's lost it, but this would at least give her a role on this team. She is also strong physically. I don't think shooting the 3 regularly would involve much change in her shooting form.

Reaction Score
That was the worst Geno show I have ever seen. He was whining about the refs and the spoiled UConn fans....Of course he had his sidekick yucking it up constantly.
good to read your post. after reading the first few posts , i thought i was the only one who felt this way about geno's latest classless performance. ref mistakes are part of the game. it's sad, and wrong, for a coach of his stature to, basically, blame the loss on the officials. the big east should tell him to shut his mouth, and get back to coaching. and, though she wouldn't, the hall of fame coach for the other team should tell him the same thing. the arrogance displayed in his criticism of uconn fans did not surprise me, since it's not the first time. it's a good thing that uconn doesn't lose more often, because geno is one guy who really doesn't know how to handle losing.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
good to read your post. after reading the first few posts , i thought i was the only one who felt this way about geno's latest classless performance. ref mistakes are part of the game. it's sad, and wrong, for a coach of his stature to, basically, blame the loss on the officials. the big east should tell him to shut his mouth, and get back to coaching. and, though she wouldn't, the hall of fame coach for the other team should tell him the same thing. the arrogance displayed in his criticism of uconn fans did not surprise me, since it's not the first time. it's a good thing that uconn doesn't lose more often, because geno is one guy who really doesn't how to handle losing.
And thank God for that.

At least he didn't cancel the most important series/rivalry WCBB because he lost a recruit in his home region. Talk about being a poor loser...

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
My problem with his show last night is that he deflected all the blame for the ND loss away from himself. IMO we lost because he didn't manage to give Bria a breather or two, something Muffett did twice for both Diggins and Novocel. All one needs to do is go to the game log and see what Bria did during the last 5 minutes of regulation and in overtime....basically nothing. Whose fault is that?
And to whose credit is it that we were in position to beat an exceptionally experience ND team on the road at all with the team he's got this year? You can criticize something he did wrong, but that requires acknowledging everything he's done right to get to the point of that decision even being a factor in the outcome of this game.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
I hope I'm not alone in being as disgusted by all this negativity as you seem to be about how a great coach, (trying to protect his players) is a whiner.
Credit him for one thing if nothing else. He answers questions honestly and doesn't give vanilla answers to pertinent questions.Isn't all this Bu----
booing. Read the first post here and learn

+100 Phil.

The Geno bashers need some reality checks.

Tom Brady loses some games. And so does his coach. And so did Michael Jordan and his coach. And they all have made many mistakes along with their successes.

By any objective standard, Geno is the best coach in Women's Basketball: Hall of Famer. Olympic Coach. Winner of 90 consecutive games. Best active winning percentage. Probably has more alumni return more often than any other WBB coach. President of Women's College Basketball Coaches Association -- even though most of the electors are women.

And what is the coaching resume of the folks who are attacking him? Diddly-squat by comparison.

I thought Geno's whole take on protecting his kids was thoughtful, wise, and informative. It was a perfect topic to explore on the Geno show. Most fans have no idea of what Geno's relationships with his players are -- of how much the coaches and players are really teammates. In military jargon --- they share the same bunker and they have each other's back for every day of training, and every game over a five month period (and in many cases for the rest of their lives). The coaches may often have to push the kids -- but it is always tough love and is understood and appreciated by the kids.

I thought Geno was very informative on how difficult it is for the UConn players to "meet the expectations of Uconn fans, and the whole history of the program." It's a tough assignment -- especially for the freshmen.

Geno's 1st responsibility after a disappointing loss is to help his players stay positive and confident. They watch film together. They share fair criticism. And then they go to work and "fix some things" without losing their faith, swagger, confidence and commitments to one another. Last night's game (Providence) offers a lot of proof that Geno and the kids have done some fixing and kept their chins up. (All this while the whiners have been complaining that both the kids and the coaches are incompetent.) The whiners should be ashamed.

The bottom line is that the Geno we saw last night on his show with Meghan is a brilliant coach at far more than the x's and o's of basketball. His success in building character and teaching life skills to 18-22 year olds is really exceptional.

UConn fans should thank their lucky stars every day that an immigrant kid from Italy has grown up to be the head coach of the Uconn Women's Basketball Team.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I thought Auriemma was really defensive. He has always struck me as one of those ego guys that have no problem dishing it out but can't take any criticism.

I am really getting tired of his "expectations" bull. It's the same old rant about the fans after every loss. Of course the fans have high expectations but if the BY is any indication of fan expectations for this team he would know that most fans were expecting several losses this year and the majority expected a tough go at ND. He needs to understand that fans are going to analyze and comment on a loss. He also needs to understand that some are going to look at the game as a stand alone and the team's record over the last umpteen years has nothing to do with it.

We should take a poll. How many BY fans jumped off a bridge or climbed out on a ledge?

Nice to hear that Buck was not injured for the ND game but it makes it tougher to understand why she didn't get some minutes. I'm not sure I understand the "no offense" label Auriemma has hung on Buck. She has a higher shooting percentage, gets to the FT line about the same and actually produces more PPM than Dolson. She's also a better rebounder.
I won't argue that Geno isn't thin-skinned; in fact, he is.

However, let me suggest the possibility that some folks on the BY are a little thin-skinned themselves. To wit, any time Geno says something about the fan base, there seems to be a portion of the BY that takes those comments personally. I agree that the criticisms he gets on this forum are relatively mild for the most part. There are some odd comments here and there (ones that suggest Pendergrast should have a sit-down with Geno and berate him for poor decisions he made during the Baylor game, for instance), and some that I don't agree with but are less odd (such as whether he should have yelled at KML). But the question remains: is that necessarily the criticism he was responding to? His email address is widely known, and now he's on Twitter, so he gets plenty of comments from God knows who with God knows what level of vitriol and idiocy.

The reason I raise the question is that last spring during NCAA Attendance-gate, the people who seemed to take the comments most personally were not remotely the people at whom he was aiming the comments.

FWIW, Buck did play in the Providence game, but her hand is clearly bothering her. When it gets hit, it hurts her visibly, and it's her dominant hand.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I don't think Geno deflected anything from himself and I think your assumption about the loss and why we loss is completely inaccurate although impossible to meassure either way.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
And to whose credit is it that we were in position to beat an exceptionally experience ND team on the road at all with the team he's got this year? You can criticize something he did wrong, but that requires acknowledging everything he's done right to get to the point of that decision even being a factor in the outcome of this game.

My point is that he is blaming everyone but himself.

We lost a game. Where is the Quinnipiac Bridge?

Reaction Score
And thank God for that.

At least he didn't cancel the most important series/rivalry WCBB because he lost a recruit in his home region. Talk about being a poor loser...

so while you're a good coach and recruiter, you can't , also, show a little class when losing ?? there are plenty of good coaches around who seem to be able to be gracious in defeat. but, when it comes to geno, it seems that many boneyarders do not have a problem with his inability to show a little humility,honesty, and class when they lose.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
so while you're a good coach and recruiter, you can't , also, show a little class when losing ?? there are plenty of good coaches around who seem to be able to be gracious in defeat. but, when it comes to geno, it seems that many boneyarders do not have a problem with his inability to show a little humility,honesty, and class when they lose.
no, we do not perceive the"inability to show a little humility, honesty, and class". You speak as if that's a fact: many of us do not agree.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
I didn't see the show, but why is reciting facts about officiating whining. He acknowledges ND is very very good, but the reffing has to be even and can make a difference in a game. You have to live with it, but thinking back to last year's loss at Stanford, MM was held on every play and it wasn't called. In the long run officiating evens out but sometimes you have to lay it out there so it gets back to even. Basically you should stop your whining ... don't watch the show if you don't want a homerville view.

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
I don't think Geno deflected anything from himself and I think your assumption about the loss is completely inaccurate although impossible to meassure either way.

Listen to the show again. Geno did say he made some mistakes in the Baylor game (I'm sure) and in the ND game as well (I think).

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I think it's debatable that he doesn't show any "HHC" after defeats, but even if he didn't, yes, I'd be OK with a coach whose worst trait is that he really, really hates to lose.

He's defended his kids after the ND loss rather than throwing them under a bus. He makes a point of scheduling games where UConn has the greatest chance of losing. He wrote a six-figure check to the WCBA without flinching when it seemed like they wouldn't have funding to start training WCBB coaches on a lot of critical soft skills pertaining to coaching young women. He made a point of recruiting Brittney Griner to try out for Team USA even though a) he didn't need her for the Olympic team to be successful, and b) this experience could only help BG become a better player. So he may react emotionally after a loss, but he's been extremely classy in many, many other ways, and has always done right by the game, not just his program.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
The thread isn't about a loss. Contrary to Auriemma's opinion most of us can count and are aware of UConn's record.
The thread is about Auriemma's attitude on the Geno Show aired last night. Nothing new there, but that doesn't make it any less irritating. Why spend half the show whining about bad calls (ever wonder why no one mentions it when the bad calls go UConn's way) and ranting about spoiled, hater fans?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Listen to the show again. Geno did say he made some mistakes in the Baylor game (I'm sure) and in the ND game as well (I think).

Exactly, OC, Geno wasn't deflecting anything and he did hold himself accountable. Ultimately Geno sees himself as responsible for the team as well and for putting them in the right position to succeed. However, he, also, realizes it is a process and doesn't happen over night. These two games were lost in many varying ways any of which could have tipped the scales toward UConn.

As alex said Geno defended his kids after the game noting that others were not taking note of the many things the team did well and choosing only to focus on the negative.

Even in addressing the issue of the uneven officiating he still held the team accountable to figure out what ND was doing different to draw the fouls and then adjusting to mimic that in their own play. In otherwords, take action in response to the officiating to force the officials to even out the calls.

Reaction Score
One noticing improvement of last night's Providence game, that I recall, was their was no loud irritating exclamation during the broadcast of the of the Santa Claus scream of ' Ho, Ho, Ho.'

Reaction Score
"Buck didn't play because we needed offense. Defense wasn't the problem."

I don't get this. Was UConn behind the entire game? Doesn't he justify playing Kelly because of her defense? The simple math is, if you can stop the other team from scoring, then you don't have to score as many points to win. Defense and Offense balance themselves. Unless UConn was losing by ten or more the entire game, the statement doesn't make sense.

He justifys playing Kelly because she is the BEST all around player on the team and is one of the assist and steal leaders on the team as well as its best defensive player. You can't remotely compare Heather's defensive play to Kelly's all around play. Heather has contributed more defensively than in the past but she doesn't contribute at all on offense. I also think that Heather's wrist injury is not completely healed.

Reaction Score
Havent seen one of these in a while, and I missed the first few minutes, but some great stuff ...

• Can't put Stef in low post, because otherwise they double off Kelly's man, and then it's all on Kelly. Only works if all 4 perimeter players are scoring threats. That said, even if Kelly shoots, it still doesn't solve the problem of getting Stef the ball more. ... As a result, they need to move Stef around a lot.
  • Kiah needs to assert herself more.
  • Buck didn't play because we needed offense. Defense wasnt the problem.
  • KML, like most frosh, pouts when things don't go well.
  • Bria takes on responsibility to do the stuff in big games. But she also makes too many mistakes. Wouldnt be as much of an issue if she had more help.
  • Team does not seem to have a leader. Geno downplayed this, but I thought MPC correctly pushed this point.
  • Diggins did foul Bria on late steal; and Doty did not travel on that layup.
  • ND's late steal and baseline layup to tie -- Tiff just stood there defensively.
  • This is one of the worst teams he's coached at getting the ball into the post.
  • Banks has made a lot of progress in practice since Xmas. Geno expects solid contributions from her soon.
  • Kelly wears different sneakers because she has bad feet and this was the only comfortable shoe they could find for her.
  • Before her wrist injury, Buck was playing well defensively. Wrist certainly won't help offense.
  • They have questioned BE head of officials on seeming discrepancy between Diggins/Novosel getting fouls, but Hartley not.

I actually enjoyed the show a lot. I'm not bothered by ranting about "us" spoiled fans. I was a little disappointed that he didn't mention Doty and the fact she's not been a scoring threat. Since neither her or Kelly are threats it's really easy to take Steph out of the game. He is showing great loyalty to CD , but it does make it easier for good teams to defend huskies, especially in the post.

Ruffian75

Uncle Mo of Posters
Reaction Score
One noticing improvement of last night's Providence game, that I recall, was their was no loud irritating exclamation during the broadcast of the of the Santa Claus scream of ' Ho, Ho, Ho.'

Are you mimicking the Yuckster? Ahyuck, ahyuck, ahyuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom