Great Geno Show | The Boneyard

Great Geno Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Havent seen one of these in a while, and I missed the first few minutes, but some great stuff ...

• Can't put Stef in low post, because otherwise they double off Kelly's man, and then it's all on Kelly. Only works if all 4 perimeter players are scoring threats. That said, even if Kelly shoots, it still doesn't solve the problem of getting Stef the ball more. ... As a result, they need to move Stef around a lot.
  • Kiah needs to assert herself more.
  • Buck didn't play because we needed offense. Defense wasnt the problem.
  • KML, like most frosh, pouts when things don't go well.
  • Bria takes on responsibility to do the stuff in big games. But she also makes too many mistakes. Wouldnt be as much of an issue if she had more help.
  • Team does not seem to have a leader. Geno downplayed this, but I thought MPC correctly pushed this point.
  • Diggins did foul Bria on late steal; and Doty did not travel on that layup.
  • ND's late steal and baseline layup to tie -- Tiff just stood there defensively.
  • This is one of the worst teams he's coached at getting the ball into the post.
  • Banks has made a lot of progress in practice since Xmas. Geno expects solid contributions from her soon.
  • Kelly wears different sneakers because she has bad feet and this was the only comfortable shoe they could find for her.
  • Before her wrist injury, Buck was playing well defensively. Wrist certainly won't help offense.
  • They have questioned BE head of officials on seeming discrepancy between Diggins/Novosel getting fouls, but Hartley not.

Reaction Score
Did I also hear him say that ND fouls on every play, but the refs can't call a foul on every play? That (fouls) was my feeling as I was watching the game.

He also said that ND is very, very good.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
it will be interesting to see how the refs call other big games ND has, specifically vs. Tennessee. anyhoo, loved reading Geno's comments. it's really answering some questions lots of BY'ers have been asking. i wonder if Meghan reads the BY?

Reaction Score
Geno's saying what we said during the ND game--fouls were called on UConn for things that ND also did but didn't have fouls called on them.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
it will be interesting to see how the refs call other big games ND has, specifically vs. Tennessee. anyhoo, loved reading Geno's comments. it's really answering some questions lots of BY'ers have been asking. i wonder if Meghan reads the BY?

I know he denies it, but I think Geno has been visiting.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Yep, he made it pretty clear he thinks there was a "double standard" in the officiating, particularly in the last two ND games. Sounds like they had some serious discussions with the BE head of officiating.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
What a great Geno SHow. If you think Geno and Meg dont read the Boneyard you kidding yourself. I loved the replay of Caroline called for travelling and Diggins reach around and no foul. Another point every time Diggins and Novosel drive to the basket theyre fouled everytime UConn drives to the basket no fouls? A nother point Diggins and Novosel in the last 2 games have shot more foul shots then the entire UConn team and UConn dosnt foul??????? I think he may have exposed something and I hope the refs hear it. One other point how bout Diggins pushing off when shes dribbleing .

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
"Buck didn't play because we needed offense. Defense wasn't the problem."

I don't get this. Was UConn behind the entire game? Doesn't he justify playing Kelly because of her defense? The simple math is, if you can stop the other team from scoring, then you don't have to score as many points to win. Defense and Offense balance themselves. Unless UConn was losing by ten or more the entire game, the statement doesn't make sense.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yep, Geno's take on the officiating was exactly what I was expressing. There were differences at the two ends of the floor. Nonetheless it is the teams responsibility to overcome it.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
"Buck didn't play because we needed offense. Defense wasn't the problem."

I don't get this. Was UConn behind the entire game? Doesn't he justify playing Kelly because of her defense? The simple math is, if you can stop the other team from scoring, then you don't have to score as many points to win. Defense and Offense balance themselves. Unless UConn was losing by ten or more the entire game, the statement doesn't make sense.
He justifies Kelly because of the totality of her play not just defense.

Reaction Score
" Doesn't he justify playing Kelly because of her defense? .

You could argue though that the defense already was playing quite well-- held ND way below it's scoring average.

Also, don't think you can have both Buck and Faris on the floor.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Did I also hear him say that ND fouls on every play, but the refs can't call a foul on every play? That (fouls) was my feeling as I was watching the game.

He also said that ND is very, very good.

Officials do seem to suffer in many games from what I call foul fatigue. Eventually, they seem to arrive at a point where they act as if they cannot call any more fouls on a team and at that point the advantage shifts to the team playing slap and hack defense.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
You could argue though that the defense already was playing quite well-- held ND way below it's scoring average.

Also, don't think you can have both Buck and Faris on the floor.
I think that is a critical part of the formula. And Kelly was needed for the perimeter D.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
He justifies Kelly because of the totality of her play not just defense.
I agree that Kelly is an all around great player, but I don't think you could say that her offense is her strong suit.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Amazing Stat: Last time UConn was ranked #3 or lower was in 2007.........

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Yep, Geno's take on the officiating was exactly what I was expressing. There were differences at the two ends of the floor. Nonetheless it is the teams responsibility to overcome it.

After the ND game, I almost posted my feeling that it looked more like a boxing match than a basketball game. It was also obvious that ND's aggressiveness was into another sphere. There's a word I could use, but I won't. I was very happy to hear Geno confirm my feeling that ND was committing an awful lot of fouls that weren't being called.

I'm really looking forward to a game next season when ND will not have Novosel, Peters, and Mallory, and UConn will have Stewart, Jefferson, and Tuck.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score

I'm really looking forward to a game next season when ND will not have Novosel, Peters, and Mallory, and UConn will have Stewart, Jefferson, and Tuck.

Hell, I'm really looking forward to more games THIS season when ND WILL have Novosel, Peters and Mallory.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I wonder if the Big East agreed with him.

Also, did he mention any four-guard teams who've won the Championship?

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
Hell, I'm really looking forward to more games THIS season when ND WILL have Novosel, Peters and Mallory.

Well, of course. But those games will be close. I'd like a blowout.

Reaction Score
That was the worst Geno show I have ever seen. He was whining about the refs and the spoiled UConn fans....Of course he had his sidekick yucking it up constantly.

OK - I get it. Coach responds to each loss, however few they are, or win that's not "win enough", and the unavoidable analysis that goes along with it, by venting about the unreasonable expectations of the fans.

But, I don't get how Coach can spend half a TV show sarcastically chastising UConn fans - the very folks watching and funding the show - for expecting wins, spurred by Ms. Culmo's incessant insipid droning about how spoiled we fans are - and not receive significant grief here.

Do people think - "Oh that's them. I'm not like that. I'm cool?"

I take it as a direct, inaccurate, vapid insult.

Think about - we're watching a show on women's basketball that we helped fund, and it's host and star are basically labeling us a collective bunch of ingrates (to be kind).

UConn women's basketball fans have proven time and time again to be the most enthusiastic, dedicated, intelligent, accommodating fans in the country. They travel. They flood Pat Summit's office with get well wishes. They cheer the excellence of a visiting team' star, even during a bad loss (North Carolina a few years ago). They engage on boards such as this.

Most importantly - they are invested in their team to a degree not seen anywhere else in the country.

So - the team wins massive amounts of games, and the fans are let down when they lose. What would he have them do? Hold hands and sing Kumbaya? Perhaps Coach would be happier if Gampel entertained 126 fans per game - all of whom were happy, peppy and bursting with love, regardless of the result?

New York fans, I'm embarrassed to say, booed Mickey Mantle. Reggie Jackson. Derek Jeter. Patrick Ewing. A plane flew over Giants Stadium toting a banner proclaiming "15 Years of Lousy Football - We've Had Enough." A rather large sign at Giants Stadium reported, "Eli was adopted!" (he saw it and laughed).

Has anyone ever heard any UConn player, superstar or last minute sub, booed at home? EVER?

Spoiled UConn fans? Please.

INVESTED UConn fans.

Frankly, he should be thrilled he's got a fan base that's crushed when their team loses.

So they criticize after a loss.

So what?

Reaction Score
Gee, sounds like Coach hit close to home on his analysis snowkot.

It's true, some hardcore fans and the media react to a loss in the regular season the same way as primitive man reacted to a solar eclipse, as the end of the world or in this case the Connecticut women's basketball dynasty. Is it, of course not. Were they avoidable losses, maybe but they were the number 1 and 3 ranked team nationally at the time so that might have had something to do with it. Plus last year's "superstar" is gone and that's going to throw a spanner in the workings of the team.

So lets not try to micromanage Geno's coaching, criticize players "toughness" and doesn't really amount to a hill of beans when you look at the big picture and simply enjoy it for what it is, entertainment.

It isn't just spoiled teenagers with a sense of entitlement.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
OK - I get it. Coach responds to each loss, however few they are, or win that's not "win enough", and the unavoidable analysis that goes along with it, by venting about the unreasonable expectations of the fans.

But, I don't get how Coach can spend half a TV show sarcastically chastising UConn fans - the very folks watching and funding the show - for expecting wins, spurred by Ms. Culmo's incessant insipid droning about how spoiled we fans are - and not receive significant grief here.

Do people think - "Oh that's them. I'm not like that. I'm cool?"

I take it as a direct, inaccurate, vapid insult.

Think about - we're watching a show on women's basketball that we helped fund, and it's host and star are basically labeling us a collective bunch of ingrates (to be kind).

UConn women's basketball fans have proven time and time again to be the most enthusiastic, dedicated, intelligent, accommodating fans in the country. They travel. They flood Pat Summit's office with get well wishes. They cheer the excellence of a visiting team' star, even during a bad loss (North Carolina a few years ago). They engage on boards such as this.

Most importantly - they are invested in their team to a degree not seen anywhere else in the country.

So - the team wins massive amounts of games, and the fans are let down when they lose. What would he have them do? Hold hands and sing Kumbaya? Perhaps Coach would be happier if Gampel entertained 126 fans per game - all of whom were happy, peppy and bursting with love, regardless of the result?

New York fans, I'm embarrassed to say, booed Mickey Mantle. Reggie Jackson. Derek Jeter. Patrick Ewing. A plane flew over Giants Stadium toting a banner proclaiming "15 Years of Lousy Football - We've Had Enough." A rather large sign at Giants Stadium reported, "Eli was adopted!" (he saw it and laughed).

Has anyone ever heard any UConn player, superstar or last minute sub, booed at home? EVER?

Spoiled UConn fans? Please.

INVESTED UConn fans.

Frankly, he should be thrilled he's got a fan base that's crushed when their team loses.

So they criticize after a loss.

So what?

It's a game! Geno Auriemma is human. And we should be thankful that he's coaching our team!

Reaction Score
Even with the double standard in fouls called against UCONN and not Notre Dame, UCONN still should have won the game in regulation if they didn't miss so many foul shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom