Grayson Allen | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Grayson Allen

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Totally agree. The walk-ons pat Allen on the bench. All the coaches but Scheyer completely ignore Allen. Scheyer totally coddles him. The Duke coaches and players reaction makes this appear as totally acceptable behavior by Allen.

And I'm knit-picking a little, but K asked the Elon coach and player to meet him and Grayson in his coach's room. I'm sorry, but if K feels the need to apologize, K and Grayson need to walk over to the opposing locker room. You don't setup a safe space where Grayson feels comfortable. Grayson and K need to enter the opposing locker room and apologize in front of the entire Elon team. Even K's apology attempt coddles his spoiled brat player.
K didn't even know the opposing kid's name

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm skeptical on the "indefinite" part. Will he sit out until the first game in February or will he be back after the holidays. I'm thinking this will be like when Bobby Bowden would suspend Sebastian Janikowski at FSU - suspended indefinitely on Sunday, reinstated on Friday.

DURHAM, NC - January 2, 2017 - Duke Basketball has announced the reinstatement of Junior Grayson Allen after a 10 day suspension, including a game against Virginia Tech (an 87-69 Duke victory). Coach Mike Krzyzewski said, "Grayson is a great kid. He took some time during the holidays to reflect on his behavior and what it means to be a Duke basketball player. Grayson is ready to embrace the new year with a new attitude and we welcome him back with open arms (and then closed arms for a big hug) to battle Georgia Tech in two days. Grayson understands that his previous behavior is not acceptable and if he trips someone again I'll be very VERY disappointed." Asked if the suspension of one game was light considering Allen's third tripping incident, Coach K stated "go yourself. You don't get to question me! I'm a legend and my program is squeaky clean! Just ask anyone on my staff!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I love how Grayson and apologists are trying to say the Elon kid hooked or grabbed or squeezed his arm. Um no that's you reaching in and him falling over because you tripped him.

Reaction Score
His tantrum on the bench after the technical was on the pre school level. I was surprised he got back in for the 2nd half.
It really is something the amount of direct comparisons multiple folks across networks are making between 21ish year old Allen and their own young children.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I'm skeptical on the "indefinite" part. Will he sit out until the first game in February or will he be back after the holidays. I'm thinking this will be like when Bobby Bowden would suspend Sebastian Janikowski at FSU - suspended indefinitely on Sunday, reinstated on Friday.
I believe in this case "Indefinitely" means until the first conference game.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
He's like a more mentally unstable Laettner.

That is a very scary concept to wrap your head around, although in Laettner's case, I found his mom far more terrifying than him.

Reaction Score
His tantrum on the bench after the technical was on the pre school level. I was surprised he got back in for the 2nd half.

Coach K claims he didn't see and had no idea about the tantrum in the bench until after the game when he watched tape. Claims he wouldn't have played him the rest of the game if he saw the outburst.

It's interesting how coach k hasn't said he suspended him. He's been saying we as if the school instructed him to suspend Allen

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score

So is Coddler an official position on the Duke coaching staff?

Allen's mom did a nice job re editing his Wikipedia write up.

Here's the pertinent section (I'm wondering what the part I bolded has to do with the subject)

Tripping Incidents
Allen received national attention for intentionally tripping Louisville's Raymond Spalding on February 8, 2016, which led to a widely read ESPN.com article asking if he was, “the next hated white Duke player.”[12] In the second game against Louisville that season, he was elbowed in the head while scuffling for a ball on the ground[13] and later received a technical and ejection for yelling at a referee following his fifth foul on a charge call.[14] On Thursday, February 25, 2016, in the closing seconds of a 15-point win against FSU, Allen tripped FSU's Xavier Rathan-Mayes.[15] A day later, Allen received a reprimand from the ACC for his second tripping incident in less than a month.

Prior to the start of his junior season, Allen stated that he was ready to put the tripping incidents behind him.
[16] He then tripped Elon Phoenix's Steven Santa Ana during their December 21 game. Allen was charged with a technical on the play.[17][18] The next day, Coach Krzyzewski suspended Allen from the team indefinitely.[19]

So was the ejection for the technical referenced above imposed for the next game? Because since he'd already fouled out, it couldn't have been imposed that game, could it?

Reaction Score
Coach K claims he didn't see and had no idea about the tantrum in the bench until after the game when he watched tape. Claims he wouldn't have played him the rest of the game if he saw the outburst.

It's interesting how coach k hasn't said he suspended him. He's been saying we as if the school instructed him to suspend Allen

Despite my earlier sarcastic response about the length of the suspension, I am hearing at least one month suspension. Duke wouldn't do anything without K's approval, but maybe K feel's betrayed after giving Allen a third chance. He demands loyalty for better or worse.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Despite my earlier sarcastic response about the length of the suspension, I am hearing at least one month suspension. Duke wouldn't do anything without K's approval, but maybe K feel's betrayed after giving Allen a third chance. He demands loyalty for better or worse.

He sure didn't sound like he was all that upset about "loyalty" in his postgame remarks. On the contrary, he inexplicably made a very lame attempt to try deflecting some of the blame onto the rest of the team. Plus why didn't he announce the suspension right after the game?

It sounds more like some higher ups at the school took a look at the unmerciful beating they were taking in the media and decided enough is enough, and they dictated that he suspend the punk.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
"Grayson Allen leads the nation in triple triples and he's hoping his season ends with a trip to the National Championship game. If that doesn't happen, it'll be a crying shame for Grayson and Duke Nation."

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Now his "weird soccer upbringing" is being blamed. You hear that, @Excalibur? Don't let your kids turn into commie bed wetting eurotrash knee grabbing sissies, like Allen. :)

Grayson Allen's high school coaches try to explain (but not defend) his tripping habit

"Allen’s behavior is bizarre. It’s abnormal. It’s flagrantly unnatural, like Draymond Green’s flailing limbs or Luis Suarez’s chomping teeth."

....which is immediately who I thought of after the first 2 incidents. Knowing less about his background than most you have to consider the possibility that this goes well beyond reason or traditional punishment/reward behavior techniques. He needs to see someone that can get a lot deeper than coach K to resolve the issue. Regardless of whether that means taking time off from Hoops it's really about his ability to function appropriately in the long-term at this point.

Reaction Score
"Allen’s behavior is bizarre. It’s abnormal. It’s flagrantly unnatural, like Draymond Green’s flailing limbs or Luis Suarez’s chomping teeth."

....which is immediately who I thought of after the first 2 incidents. Knowing less about his background than most you have to consider the possibility that this goes well beyond reason or traditional punishment/reward behavior techniques. He needs to see someone that can get a lot deeper than coach K to resolve the issue. Regardless of whether that means taking time off from Hoops it's really about his ability to function appropriately in the long-term at this point.
Heard a good point in support of the indefinite ban because Duke wants to see how kid handles it before handing anything down. Will probably sit him and his family down and have a serious chat. He may need to see a professional because even without the meltdown -but especially so with- there is clearly some underlying psycho-social disturbance. He's not just some dirty player. K is clearly in over his head with this one.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I'm wondering someone missed a diagnosis with this young man. His behavior (With that tantrum) looks a lot like our Grandson when he has one of his meltdowns. He has "Asperger's Syndrome". Watching him on the bench really reminded us of that temper problem.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering someone missed a diagnosis with this young man. His behavior (With that tantrum) looks a lot like our Grandson when he has one of his meltdowns. He has "Asperger's Syndrome". Watching him on the bench really reminded us of that temper problem.

When I saw the look of frustration and confusion afterwards it appeared to sync up with a behavior he couldn't shut off whether he realized where the competitive line was or not. I'm not convinced he does in the moment.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I'm a special ed teacher. He really might be on the Autism spectrum or emotionally disturbed.

Reaction Score
I heard Krapshooski on the Dan Patrick Show this morning. He has become even more insufferable. Called Grayson a "good kid". Said he was "totally unaware of the trip and the tantrum during the game". What????? He has an assistant coach needing to restrain the "good kid" and he didn't know? Patrick asked him if this was a "worrisome pattern" or some such term and K goes off on him accusing him of "not knowing the kid" and perhaps a bias against Duke. I hate that flop teaching A hole.

I remember back in the mid 80's, before Calhoun got us chugging, I kinda liked the guy and the team. Seemed like the "smart/good guys" were over achieving and he played into that. But even before Crissy Laetner I was no longer on board. He his smug and pompous and if I hear "student athlete/teaching moment" regarding his collection of one and dones one more time.......I'll find him and do a Rod Sellers on his head. Yuk.

Reaction Score
I heard Krapshooski on the Dan Patrick Show this morning. He has become even more insufferable. Called Grayson a "good kid". Said he was "totally unaware of the trip and the tantrum during the game". What????? He has an assistant coach needing to restrain the "good kid" and he didn't know? Patrick asked him if this was a "worrisome pattern" or some such term and K goes off on him accusing him of "not knowing the kid" and perhaps a bias against Duke. I hate that flop teaching A hole.

I remember back in the mid 80's, before Calhoun got us chugging, I kinda liked the guy and the team. Seemed like the "smart/good guys" were over achieving and he played into that. But even before Crissy Laetner I was no longer on board. He his smug and pompous and if I hear "student athlete/teaching moment" regarding his collection of one and dones one more time..I'll find him and do a Rod Sellers on his head. Yuk.

It's like he has a kid who's addicted to a drug and he enables him. He has his own little world in Durham, as I said kids go there and buy in to his little commune and become a**holes. Some already are when they get there and transition into "major" one's. :eek:

Reaction Score
Flopper. I thought for sure the video was going to be him tripping someone again. It is only a matter of time.
Watch the video again. Looks like his leg goes out for the other player. Then he goes into full flop.

Maybe his leg is something he can't control and it's a reflex reaction to stick it out.

Reaction Score
JC, even in his 74th year of age, could walk up to Grayson Allen and slap him around at will.

What he would do is nip it in the bud and not let it span the course of two seasons with little action taken, like Coach K has. Colossal failure there. And it's far from his first player who has pulled crap like Allen has; however, I'm not sure any have had a meltdown quite like that one tonight.
Who's the closest player to resembling Allen that played for Calhoun (behavior, not game)? I don't see this as something Calhoun had to deal with.

Laptops are totally different but we're a distraction. Rashad was more a goof where things went wrong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom