Grad Transfers and Marijuana Use | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Grad Transfers and Marijuana Use

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
This thread is getting really depressing. Have we really dropped to the level that we aren't attractive to any of the top grad transfers? I just can't believe it. Let's see what Hurley does. If we go without adding anyone of significance I will proceed to the next step of grieving for what UConn used to be. :(

Last edited:
Reaction Score
As I suspected people on this board are over estimating our pull with the top tier grad transfers. With the seasons we’ve had the last 3 years and our conference affiliation we’re not going to land a kid who led the country in rebounds or a kid who averaged close to 20 points per last year. Those players want major exposure, a sure fire bet to make the tournament.
Yet we somehow closed on 3 Top 100 recruits this year.

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
This thread is getting really depressing. Have we really dropped to the level that we aren't attractive to these any of the top grad transfers? I just can't believe it. Let's see what Hurley does. If we go without adding anyone of significance I will proceed to the next step of grieving for what UConn used to be. :(
The good news is that CT is right in the middle of the epicenter of high school prep basketball. We can win championships with kids exclusively from our region. The same can’t be said for a lot of other schools. We’ll be competitive with kids, both HS and transfers, from the northeast and to a lesser extent mid-Atlantic.

Reaction Score
This thread is getting really depressing. Have we really dropped to the level that we aren't attractive to any of the top grad transfers? I just can't believe it. Let's see what Hurley does. If we go without adding anyone of significance I will proceed to the next step of grieving for what UConn used to be. :(
Our fans on this board s^%t on us more than any other fanbase could.

Reaction Score
Program name is nice.
History is nice.
Conference is nice.
And other schools have us beat on all 3.

But, ability to develop a marginal guy and give him a shot at the NBA or solidify him as a top notch international pro - that's very nice.

Remember - less than 1 year in, and DH can already say, "I produced the most improved player in the AAC this year," in addition to guys he developed at previous stops.

We'll do fine, and I won't concede that we have no shot at guys who everybody wants - gotta target the guys who don't want to be shaded too much in the limelight of the top 10 recruiting schools.

Heck, UCF took mighty Puke to the last shot . . . we'll be fine.

Do you think UConn fans are, as a group, more neurotically miserable than other fan bases?

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I doubt there's any connection, but there are rumors that 6'8" forward Yoeli Childs, BYU's leading scorer and rebounder this last season, is leaving BYU.

Reaction Score
No idea whether he will or not, but shoulder surgery seems like the perfect time to transfer. You've got a full year to rehab without sweating getting back on the court.
Having a coaching/training staff that knows you is a big comfort in rehabbing. That’s why you rarely see players transfer after an injury. But Carvacho would be a grad transfer anyway, and I doubt he plans on missing too much of the upcoming season.

Reaction Score
Yet we somehow closed on 3 Top 100 recruits this year.
I do think there's something different between grad transfers and recruits. You can sell top recruits a long-term vision, and they also want to be developed and hop to the league.

Grad transfers aren't NBA players, and they aren't as interested in developing or contributing to the revival of a blue-blood. The most attractive of them are leaving where they are to win, and to win regularly, and maybe win a title. We were that spot for Kromah, Miller, and Gibbs. Our rosters looked like they could win or compete for a title.

Our current roster isn't necessarily there yet. Next year? We'll be in discussions for better grad transfers, and we'll be in the market in two or three years ready to compete with pretty much anyone.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
We offered Lewis when he was a high schooler, though obviously it was a previous regime. He won't be able to transfer within the SEC probably, right? So that'll take out a lot of the serious players in his region...

Reaction Score
I do think there's something different between grad transfers and recruits. You can sell top recruits a long-term vision, and they also want to be developed and hop to the league.

Grad transfers aren't NBA players, and they aren't as interested in developing or contributing to the revival of a blue-blood. The most attractive of them are leaving where they are to win, and to win regularly, and maybe win a title. We were that spot for Kromah, Miller, and Gibbs. Our rosters looked like they could win or compete for a title.

Our current roster isn't necessarily there yet. Next year? We'll be in discussions for better grad transfers, and we'll be in the market in two or three years ready to compete with pretty much anyone.

Some grad transfers may realize they don’t have a shot at going pro, so why not get a masters degree from UConn and help rebuild a storied program.

Reaction Score
Some grad transfers may realize they don’t have a shot at going pro, so why not get a masters degree from UConn and help rebuild a storied program.
Because they can get an MA at a number of other good schools and help contribute towards a deep tournament run?

Again, UConn will be very appealing to recruits when we start winning again and consistently going to the tournament.

Reaction Score
I doubt there's any connection, but there are rumors that 6'8" forward Yoeli Childs, BYU's leading scorer and rebounder this last season, is leaving BYU.

Childs is a very good player -- averaged 21 and 10, was named 1st team WCC even with Gonzaga's front-court excellence and NABC 1st team for the district -- but rumor is that he wants to go pro, not transfer. He's a slightly undersized 4 with a good post and mid-range game, but not a very good 3-point shooter. He will probably enter the draft, not get drafted, and go G-League or Europe.

Reaction Score
Maybe there is a reason no one wanted them
Literally every single one of our commits this year had multiple high D1 schools in pursuit... Cuse, PC, VT, Indiana, Florida... can go on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom