Governor Malloy Won't Push For Costly XL Center Upgrades | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Governor Malloy Won't Push For Costly XL Center Upgrades

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Is there a reason this thread is even on this board anymore? Let's be honest, besides the OP, not one post has been in relation to anything athletic related. Cesspool time!

Reaction Score
At one point in the last ten years I read that there are over 90 buildings in NYC that are taller than the tallest building in Boston ( the Pru ). Boston is a relatively small city, both vertically and by land area.
A lot of Boston is landfill. Manhattan is a rock.

Reaction Score
Is there a reason this thread is even on this board anymore? Let's be honest, besides the OP, not one post has been in relation to anything athletic related. Cesspool time!
Population trends = markets = TVs.

Reaction Score
Boston has about 7 Manhattanesque luxury apartment skyscrapers going up in the next 5-10 years, multiple office towers, an innovation hub in the Seaport, expansion of 95 and tech companies flocking into here. Plus our colleges are going nowhere, MIT just won the Hyperloop competition. I would say the tourism future is looking better than Hartford/New Haven right now.

I am by no means anti-Hartford, New Haven, Stamford. But, they need massive overhauling of masterplans. Especially Hartford. It's not looking too good right now.
Connecticut will be redeveloped in some areas in a matter of time. Writing is on the wall.

Reaction Score
I understand the time is not right and the atmosphere in Storrs rocks. But the crowd was wild last night and it continued into the streets. I still maintain knock the XL down if we continue on the mid major path or find the financing if we are a P5 program

Reaction Score
Only another rapper or boxer is gonna buy that pile.
I thought the state could buy it and use it to host visiting coaches like, you know, Pitino or Calipari.

Reaction Score
This link has a little more. Meeting with CRDA and Malloy on 1/14/2016 before his budget speech.
http://www.crdact.net/data/Unsorted/1-14-2016-ApprovedBoardMinutes-73404-1.pdf

Governor Malloy joined the meeting and was added to the agenda. The Governor indicated that he is happy with the work CRDA is accomplishing. He further indicated that he continues to look for ways to partner with the communities that we serve. The collaboration on housing has been very important and in the long run will be game changing. He expressed that there are some big challenges with the XL Center

Governor Malloy conveyed that he can’t imagine Hartford without an XL Center, or an equivalent thereof. He expressed that CRDA has done the early work of competitive data regarding either a rebuilt or a brand new center. If the architects and consultants can accomplish what they are saying for the amount that they are estimating and agreements with parties involved can be reached, then it would make sense to move forward.

1. Long-Term Project
    • ∙ A number of meetings have been held with Northland related to acquisition of all or part of their building to allow for reconstruction of the XL Center. An analysis of the various acquisition options, as well cost analyses of each, are being conducted by both parties.
    • ∙ CRDA still anticipates requesting funds in early 2016 for the acquisition of the Northland space and for development of construction design documents.
    • ∙ A Letter of Intent has been signed with UConn for a long-term presence in a reconstructed XL Center should such a facility be built.

Wolfpack and UConn Team Updates
    ∙ Teams are not performing to budget and we hope to see attendance and revenue numbers increase as they move into the second half of their seasons. Lower than expected attendance (particularly for UConn Hockey) and higher security costs have significantly impacted the facility’s budget. The postponement of a Janet Jackson concert until next fiscal year will also impact the budget.

Pratt & Whitney Stadium

· CRDA is requesting $800k from the State Bond Commission for the authorized clearing of a 10-acre wooded parcel acquired as part of the UTC/Pratt naming rights deal. Such area is needed as the lots previously leased from UTC for overflow parking are being torn up as part of the outlet mall construction at Rentschler Field.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score

Found myself laughing by the end of this. So ridiculous that every single bullet point ends in a negative. Sad really but that's the state of Hartford/XL.

By the way- and I love UConn hockey- there's no way they didn't see the attendance drop coming. Look at the national average for college hockey. Combine it with UConn's struggles so far and that's what you're gonna get. Obviously the BC and ND types will draw well but they don't make up most of the schedule

Reaction Score
Found myself laughing by the end of this. So ridiculous that every single bullet point ends in a negative. Sad really but that's the state of Hartford/XL.

By the way- and I love UConn hockey- there's no way they didn't see the attendance drop coming. Look at the national average for college hockey. Combine it with UConn's struggles so far and that's what you're gonna get. Obviously the BC and ND types will draw well but they don't make up most of the schedule

Well, I've been paying way too much attention to UConn Hockey attendance. Not much nationally. I bet they were expecting it to be higher with the increased Season ticket holders from last year
Currently 3rd in all home games
http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/statistics/1516/oaattend.php
UML: 5,532 (20-7-5)
BC: 5,235 (23-4-5)
UConn: 5,166 (5,396 last year and #1) (9-19-4) So, pretty dang good for a crappy record, but SHOULD be better

#10 last yr nationally, now, #12
http://www.uscho.com/stats/attendance/division-i-men/2015-2016/

1st in hockey east only home games:
http://www.hockeyeastonline.com/men/statistics/1516/coattend.php
UConn: 5,701 (5,879 last year)
UML: 5,644
BC: 5,202

Everyone should go to the last conference home game this friday @ XL.(Senior Night) We need the 2 points for potential home ice!
http://ev9.evenue.net/cgi-bin/ncomm...ntext=&pc=&caller=&appCode=&groupCode=HS&cgc=

Reaction Score

No real surprise to me, though, I wonder what are the numbers that they projected? Someone forgot that this is a college hockey team and even the good college hockey teams (BC, North Dakota, etc.) average about 5K a game. UConn is not an NHL team.

As for basketball, continued erratic play against our AAC conference mates will continue to depress attendance at least in comparison to the Big E days. That said, if the rumors are somehow true that UConn may join the XII, that could turn-around very quick.

Good news on the football front with respect to expanded parking to replace the areas to be lost due to the retail outlet.

Drew

Reaction Score
Thinking it might be a while until we see a XL Center renovation after reading this:

State Budget Deficit Explodes This Year and Next

"New deficit numbers released Thursday are causing alarm among legislators as the state's budget deficit is now projected to hit $900 million next year.

The latest numbers say the deficit is $266 million for the current fiscal year and will get even worse next year. The numbers are based mainly on a bad performance of the January 15 estimated payments in the state income tax, which are made largely by small business owners, millionaires and billionaires.

The estimated payments, which make up about 20 percent of the overall state budget, are highly volatile and often depend on the performance of the stock market. But Republicanssaid the shortfall cannot be attributed only to the stock market but include wealthy residents who have moved out of the state.

"It's a very, very sad day and upsetting day here in Connecticut,'' said Senate Republican leader Len Fasano of North Haven. "Those are just incredible numbers. What's happening is really shocking.''"

http://www.courant.com/politics/hc-budget-deficit-rises-0226-20160225-story.html

Reaction Score
Thinking it might be a while until we see a XL Center renovation after reading this:

State Budget Deficit Explodes This Year and Next

"New deficit numbers released Thursday are causing alarm among legislators as the state's budget deficit is now projected to hit $900 million next year.

The latest numbers say the deficit is $266 million for the current fiscal year and will get even worse next year. The numbers are based mainly on a bad performance of the January 15 estimated payments in the state income tax, which are made largely by small business owners, millionaires and billionaires.

The estimated payments, which make up about 20 percent of the overall state budget, are highly volatile and often depend on the performance of the stock market. But Republicanssaid the shortfall cannot be attributed only to the stock market but include wealthy residents who have moved out of the state.

"It's a very, very sad day and upsetting day here in Connecticut,'' said Senate Republican leader Len Fasano of North Haven. "Those are just incredible numbers. What's happening is really shocking.''"

http://www.courant.com/politics/hc-budget-deficit-rises-0226-20160225-story.html

Malloy is worried his paycheck may bounce next week...

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
Thank you Malloy. But I guess we just need to get used to "the new normal".

Reaction Score
I understand the time is not right and the atmosphere in Storrs rocks. But the crowd was wild last night and it continued into the streets. I still maintain knock the XL down if we continue on the mid major path or find the financing if we are a P5 program

Ah yes, another start of a string on how great Storrs is for BBall. You obviously we're not at the SMU game. Please no more of this. a $900 million projected budget deficit and going up, is not conducive to the pipe dream of a new , larger facility on campus.

Reaction Score
Ah yes, another start of a string on how great Storrs is for BBall. You obviously we're not at the SMU game. Please no more of this. a $900 million projected budget deficit and going up, is not conducive to the pipe dream of a new , larger facility on campus.
The athletic department just announced a ticket surcharge of $1-$5 on every ticket sold for a UConn athletic event to fund facility upgrades on campus. The state has already been clear to UConn any faculty upgrades on campus are on them.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score

He wrote that after the SMU game... Which was played at XL... Clearly he was at the game. He was crediting the XL.

Drew

Reaction Score
really my biggest issue with building a new XL is theres no major tenant to host anything in it. Its a chicken/egg conundrum. No new team will come without the facility and no facility should be built without a guarantee of a new team. So here we sit in purgatory

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom