Goodman: 8 Pitt players transferring | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Goodman: 8 Pitt players transferring

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Agreed re: football.

But, this was obviously about basketball.

But with the money disparity you have to wonder how long non-P5s can stay on that level without P5 money. UConn's athletic dept isnt' exactly swimming in cash.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
For football it might be true.

But agreed for basketball.

I dunno about that. I'd much rather coach Houston or one of the directional Floridas over teams like Illinois, Vanderbilt, Kansas, etc. You've got literally no chance of winning with some of those programs, whereas with the high level G5 teams you can have two good years and then get almost any job in America

Reaction Score
But with the money disparity you have to wonder how long non-P5s can stay on that level without P5 money. UConn's athletic dept isnt' exactly swimming in cash.

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out, but schools can definitely keep pace in basketball easier than in football.

Reaction Score
I dunno about that. I'd much rather coach Houston or one of the directional Floridas over teams like Illinois, Vanderbilt, Kansas, etc. You've got literally no chance of winning with some of those programs, whereas with the high level G5 teams you can have two good years and then get almost any job in America

Fair enough.

But again, let's keep this focused on basketball

the Q

Reaction Score

if you're still jumping and moving it off as a spring board, it's not that great of a gig.

Reaction Score
To me this makes that job more attractive. You don't have to keep nearly as much dead weight as it's running itself off.

This is an almost unprecedented opportunity to basically get a P5 expansion program.

New coach would run off any players he didn't want anyways so not sure it can possibly factor as a positive.

Reaction Score
but how many times do you see it happen all at once like this?

Maybe 8 over 2-3 years, not in a week.

He would run off every player he didn't see a future for and try to re-recruit anyone with a pulse. I understand what your thought process was but I very much disagree. Having 4 players on a team is never a benefit, especially if your name is not John Calipari and the date is mid-March.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Pitt is in the ACC. UConn is in the AAC. Pitt has P5 money. UConn is broke. Pitt is at the bottom of the ACC. UConn is near the bottom of the AAC. Boneyarders think a guy with a busted shoulder is going to miraculously lead UConn to the promised land of the NCAA tourney. Pitt will likely get all new players and start over. UConn will have the same players that they had last season for the most part. I wouldn't be mocking Pitt.
Fine, I'll mock you.
Who on earth named you Buddy? Have they no decency?

the Q

Reaction Score
He would run off every player he didn't see a future for and try to re-recruit anyone with a pulse. I understand what your thought process was but I very much disagree. Having 4 players on a team is never a benefit, especially if your name is not John Calipari and the date is mid-March.

And I completely understand your point of view. I get it.

It is late in the game.

But like I said, if you're the right coach and you can bring a bunch of your recruits with you, it really be a good building block.

Hurley is a great example. or fi they went with Oats and had 2 4 star frosh right away in that lineup.

they're not gonna be good year 1, but they were a dumpster fire this year. At least now they'd have a future.

Reaction Score
Disagree on the finances. Basketball revenues are driven by attendance, donations, and NCAA credits. UConn basketball can hold it's own on attendance and donations and hopefully, the AAC can become a better basketball conference and generate NCAA credits. Schools like UConn will spend on basketball because they can make money in basketball and it helps subsidize the athletic department.

The real issue for non-P5 schools is the non-revenue sports. Can you continue to spend on non-revenue sports to remain competitive with the P5 in those sports?

Another point on P5 schools in an era of conference realignment. When conferences get bigger, there are winners and losers within that conference. Pitt basketball is a case in point. They went from a top tier Big East team to a mid tier ACC team to a bottom feeder ACC team. Climbing out of that hole will not be easy. Who does Pitt have advantages over in the ACC? Certainly not Duke, UNC, Louisville, Syracuse, UVA, NC St., ... The upside for Pitt looks to be a mid tier ACC program. Sure, they could find a great coach, but I would argue that maintaining a high level of performance would be difficult.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
And I completely understand your point of view. I get it.

It is late in the game.

But like I said, if you're the right coach and you can bring a bunch of your recruits with you, it really be a good building block.

Hurley is a great example. or fi they went with Oats and had 2 4 star frosh right away in that lineup.

they're not gonna be good year 1, but they were a dumpster fire this year. At least now they'd have a future.

No matter how you spin it, recruiting for 9 spots on your roster is incredibly difficult and daunting at the least for a new coach coming in. How do you allocate your time to fill those holes?

the Q

Reaction Score
No matter how you spin it, recruiting for 9 spots on your roster is incredibly difficult and daunting at the least for a new coach coming in. How do you allocate your time to fill those holes?

Not saying its easy.

Just saying it's an interesting opportunity.

And again, considering how bad Pitt was, i'm pretty sure you can get some grad transfers to fill in a lot of those spots and be better off for one year while you keep adding bigger classes on recruiting trail.

JUCO can obviously be an option, and you can do the Iowa St and be a major transfer destination.

Lots of ways to do it. Lots of ways to make it work. You basically get to give Pitt basketball a fresh start in a major conference where you can sell tons of PT against Duke, UNC, Virginia, Louisville etc.

the Q

Reaction Score
We didn't let MAL out to join KO at a new school.

They won't hold him hostage.

he will either be released to talk to everyone, or he won't.

The coach will be gone, he'll ask to be let out like MAL was.

Then they'll have to see how it plays out. They could also go to another school that was recruiting them, it's not going to be automatically UConn if Hurley goes there.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom