Gonazaga joins the Pac12 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gonazaga joins the Pac12

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I just don't see how a reshaped MWC/AAC gets these kind of revenue numbers

Wonder how UConn would feel about a 5 year GOR… on one hand we’d have a football home. On the other, we wouldn’t be able to put football anywhere else (like the Bug 12) if they came calling. Tough one.

Reaction Score
Wonder how UConn would feel about a 5 year GOR… on one hand we’d have a football home. On the other, we wouldn’t be able to put football anywhere else (like the Bug 12) if they came calling. Tough one.
I think we do it, depending on the share from the PAC. The likelihood of getting an all-sports invite to a conference before 2031, especially one that pays more than Big East + PAC football, is really small.

Reaction Score
I think it's obvious that to be NIL competitive we have to angle for the Big 12 or ACC.
Saturday encourages me to think Mora will get football competitive--beat Wake and Syracuse!

Reaction Score
I think we do it, depending on the share from the PAC. The likelihood of getting an all-sports invite to a conference before 2031, especially one that pays more than Big East + PAC football, is really small.

If we wouldn’t do it, that would be a good sign. I still think we are going to the B12, we just need to have a presentable football season to push us over the finish line.

Reaction Score
sarcasm aside let's say F$U, clemson, miami, and UNC join the BIG12. that would leave a 14 team conference with: UConn, Cuse, BC, Pitt, VT, UVA, NC St, duke, Wake, GT, Lville, SMU, Cal, Stanford and ND as a partial member.

if it paid out ~$15-20 mill/year (which seems realistic if the new PAC is projected to get ~$12mill/year) that could almost triple our current tv revenue.

so you're hoping to stay indy for football and in the BE for bball? cause that's the only other realistic option....
PS- you dont have to tag someone's username when you're replying to their post.
I think the more likely scenario is that FSU and Clemson join the SEC, UNC and Miami join the big ten, and then a few stragglers like Louisville, VT, and Duke/NC st join the big 12. That would make the ACC a lot less appealing as a conference of the remaining teams.

What would be an interesting scenario is if some of the remaining schools then join the PAC 12 for an East/West division (minus BC of course).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think the more likely scenario is that FSU and Clemson join the SEC, UNC and Miami join the big ten, and then a few stragglers like Louisville, VT, and Duke/NC st join the big 12. That would make the ACC a lot less appealing as a conference of the remaining teams.

What would be an interesting scenario is if some of the remaining schools then join the PAC 12 for an East/West division (minus BC of course).
Nobody is leaving the ACC for the Big XII. At this point it is unlikely that the B1G or SEC want any of the ACC schools. The SEC might take FSU and Clemson, but I don't think the B1G is interested anymore, it got the 4 top programs from the Pac. Rumors of the ACC's demise are greatly exaggerated. It's still better off than the Big XII.

Reaction Score
Nobody is leaving the ACC for the Big XII. At this point it is unlikely that the B1G or SEC want any of the ACC schools. The SEC might take FSU and Clemson, but I don't think the B1G is interested anymore, it got the 4 top programs from the Pac. Rumors of the ACC's demise are greatly exaggerated. It's still better off than the Big XII.
If Clemson and FSU leave, which is very realistic and only roadblock being the grant of rights, then that downgrades the ACC a lot. UNC would be the next biggest brand and absolutely one the big ten would want. That leaves Miami and maybe VT as next biggest brands, and also the big 12 as a lot more appealing. I think Miami fits well with the big ten geographically and academically, but maybe not (VT and Miami would still definitely be brands the big 12 would want though).

Point being, if the schools can get around the grant of rights, the ACC is going down.

UKemba15

Some flies are too awesome for the wall.
Reaction Score
Way down the line after the dust settles and everyone has poached everyone, they should form some sort of national association of collegiate athletes. They could create “divisions” so schools play against other schools in their region (i.e. the “Large Eastern Division” or something). Could probly even come up with a cool postseason structure where the best teams nationwide compete in a big single elimination tournament played at sites all over the country. Winner of the tourney is crowned “Basketball Champion of the Nation.” Idk that’s my vision for the future of college hoops..

Reaction Score
Nobody is leaving the ACC for the Big XII.
No one from the PAC12 was supposed to leave for the big12 either but the same exact thing is going to play out in about 10 years. All 3 of the sec big10 and big12 are going to renew their tv contracts right before the acc leaving them scraps

Reaction Score
A conference with 6 teams would have no reason to add a big brand as a football only member as they are trying to get off the ground?
It would be a complete gesture of charity for anyone to add us football only. Won’t believe it until I see it.

Reaction Score
I think the more likely scenario is that FSU and Clemson join the SEC, UNC and Miami join the big ten.
The only school the big10 deems worthy is notre dame. The big10 and sec don’t need the others but the big12 would gladly take them

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is extremely unlikely to join the Big 10 due to things that happened as far back as the 19th century and a number of times since.

I saw a Youtube on this, but it's 30 minutes and rather nerdy... But here's an article that paraphrases the ideas from the video:

Worth a read...

Reaction Score
No one from the PAC12 was supposed to leave for the big12 either but the same exact thing is going to play out in about 10 years. All 3 of the sec big10 and big12 are going to renew their tv contracts right before the acc leaving them scraps

Right now, the ACC media contract with ESPN ends in 2027. ESPN failed to renew it through 2036 by the contract required 2021 deadline (kept as a secret by the ACC office)....and the ACC is currently negotiating.

Reaction Score

The Big 12 didn't want us until 2031 and even then it was conditional. 5 years is nothing.

Reaction Score
Could always send BB 1st if it came to that as you continue to build FB toward something resembling respectability!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's different. The Pac was always the weakest and most vulnerable conference. It was also arrogant and misplayed an opportunity to expand. The simple reality is that Pacific time games are worth less than Eastern time games.

The ACC has a pretty good group of brands in rapidly growing states. None of those schools, including FSU, would be better off in the Big XII. The ACC earns more than the Big XII and probably will in the next contract. If they are smart, and they haven't been, they'd add UConn and try to poach WVU (which would prefer to be with rivals Pitt and VT).

Reaction Score
If Clemson and FSU leave, which is very realistic and only roadblock being the grant of rights, then that downgrades the ACC a lot. UNC would be the next biggest brand and absolutely one the big ten would want. That leaves Miami and maybe VT as next biggest brands, and also the big 12 as a lot more appealing. I think Miami fits well with the big ten geographically and academically, but maybe not (VT and Miami would still definitely be brands the big 12 would want though).

Point being, if the schools can get around the grant of rights, the ACC is going down.
If Clemson and FSU leaving was realistic, it would've happened. It didn't, and the GOR isn't the hold up.

Reaction Score

UNC to the Big 10 is a no brained. They need a school that got blown out of its own building by James Madison. That’s the ticket all right.

Reaction Score
The Big 12 didn't want to add us for football for 7 years. We can do a 5 year GOR in a different conference and still join the Big 12 as originally proposed.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is extremely unlikely to join the Big 10 due to things that happened as far back as the 19th century and a number of times since.

I saw a Youtube on this, but it's 30 minutes and rather nerdy... But here's an article that paraphrases the ideas from the video:

Worth a read...
They already agreed to join it 20 years ago, the President, the AD, and the Board of Trustees, but Alumni and boosters organized against it and killed it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom