Gonazaga joins the Pac12 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gonazaga joins the Pac12

Reaction Score
They already agreed to join it 20 years ago, the President, the AD, and the Board of Trustees, but Alumni and boosters organized against it and killed it.

The University of Notre Dame's Board of Trustees has rejected the idea of joining the Big Ten Conference, and instead decided to maintain the university's independence. The decision was made after the board considered information shared with them by the Big Ten Conference and the Committee for Institutional Cooperation (CIC).

Ultimately, football independence was too embedded into the university culture, and Notre Dame's board of trustees rejected a path to Big Ten membership. “From their perspective, they had historic, bad feelings about the Big Ten,” Delany said.Jul 13, 2023

Reaction Score
The University of Notre Dame's Board of Trustees has rejected the idea of joining the Big Ten Conference, and instead decided to maintain the university's independence. The decision was made after the board considered information shared with them by the Big Ten Conference and the Committee for Institutional Cooperation (CIC).

Ultimately, football independence was too embedded into the university culture, and Notre Dame's board of trustees rejected a path to Big Ten membership. “From their perspective, they had historic, bad feelings about the Big Ten,” Delany said.Jul 13, 2023

Why are you linking the after the fact?

If the Board rejected it outright, the boosters and powerful alumni wouldn't have needed to travel to a Chalet in France to have it out with leadership.

You're missing what actually happened.

We all know Notre Dame ultimately rejected the invitation.

What I wrote is that the President, faculty, the AD and the BOT initially accepted it and were in favor of moving.

Reaction Score
Of the PAC 7, 5 made The Dance in 2024 with only Oregon State and Fresno State missing. Maybe the play is to add Gonzaga and perhaps look at a few other Big East schools.
Come on man.

Reaction Score
Wait. Throught basketball doesnt matter.
Their full share will prob be around or less than UConn Bball makes Big East for the best bball team in the nation which is WAYYYYYYYY less than power football schools like Rutgers. So really over all bball doesn't matter for POWER conferences as evident by the Big12 presidents disrespecting their own commissioner.

Reaction Score
Of the PAC 7, 5 made The Dance in 2024 with only Oregon State and Fresno State missing. Maybe the play is to add Gonzaga and perhaps look at a few other Big East schools.
Maybe we SHOULD look at the all sports option. I mean 5>3. Add Gonzaga and 6> 3 too.

Reaction Score
Maybe we SHOULD look at the all sports option. I mean 5>3. Add Gonzaga and 6> 3 too.
Creighton is probably perfectly happy in the Big East but if a combo of Gonzaga and Creighton went PAC or a trio of Gonzaga, St. Mary's and Creighton, that would leave the Big East in a pretty bad situation. Unlikely, yes. But a big risk nevertheless. The PAC is desperate and taking Gonzaga, St, Mary's and Creighton would give it 3 more NCAA tourney teams. Those basketball schools may think being part of a football conference is a better bet long term and the Big 12 may still be in the market too.

Reaction Score
I think if Pac-12 takes UConn football, that would be amazing.

That conference is about what the AAC is, probably better since osu, wsu are there.

For all sports? That's a tough sell to the basketball fan. That's a lot of west coast games, which are brutal if you live in the eastern time zone.

Reaction Score

That conference is about what the AAC is, probably better since osu, wsu are there.

For all sports? That's a tough sell to the basketball fan. That's a lot of west coast games, which are brutal if you live in the eastern time zone.
I would be shocked if it’s all sports. It doesn’t work. Travel, recruiting, money….

It’s FB only with maybe a scheduling agreement in other sports (bb most likely)…

I think there might be questions from PAC about full membership but for UConn it’s a hard no.

Reaction Score

There might be some improvement in visibility and recruiting and a little more revenue for football.

Reaction Score

I agree that for all sports I don’t see it working. Though one could argue that it is a superior basketball league to the New Big East, especially if Gonzaga were to sign up. But half your games across the country is a tall order.

Reaction Score
Why are you linking the after the fact?

If the Board rejected it outright, the boosters and powerful alumni wouldn't have needed to travel to a Chalet in France to have it out with leadership.

You're missing what actually happened.

We all know Notre Dame ultimately rejected the invitation.

What I wrote is that the President, faculty, the AD and the BOT initially accepted it and were in favor of moving.

augmented....the links documented your thoughts....I found nothing about "they agreed to join"...they were invirted...had pushback from students and, maybe, boosters,

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if it’s all sports. It doesn’t work. Travel, recruiting, money….

It’s FB only with maybe a scheduling agreement in other sports (bb most likely)…

I think there might be questions from PAC about full membership but for UConn it’s a hard no.

It’s not being discussed for all sports.

We’re not paying a Big East exit fee for this.

Reaction Score
augmented....the links documented your thoughts....I found nothing about "they agreed to join"...they were invirted...had pushback from students and, maybe, boosters,
The boosters and alumni group hashed it out at a chalet in France BECAUSE the BOT and Admin decided to join.

Good luck finding links because AI has destroyed Google.

Reaction Score
I agree that for all sports I don’t see it working. Though one could argue that it is a superior basketball league to the New Big East, especially if Gonzaga were to sign up. But half your games across the country is a tall order.

Yes, I agree that moving all sports to the Bundesliga and or the the Pac 12 won't work. But you know what? It's not being discussed. So guess what?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Creighton is probably perfectly happy in the Big East but if a combo of Gonzaga and Creighton went PAC or a trio of Gonzaga, St. Mary's and Creighton, that would leave the Big East in a pretty bad situation. Unlikely, yes. But a big risk nevertheless. The PAC is desperate and taking Gonzaga, St, Mary's and Creighton would give it 3 more NCAA tourney teams. Those basketball schools may think being part of a football conference is a better bet long term and the Big 12 may still be in the market too.

Thank you for consistently viewing this through the lens of a basketball fan. It frees up everyone else to look at it through the lens of what actually has driven every past shake up and every future realignment decision.

Reaction Score

They can add Grand Canyon and get Post to upgrade to FBS and give us a travel partner. This is also incredibly unlikely to happen.

Reaction Score
Thank you for consistently viewing this through the lens of a basketball fan. It frees up everyone else to look at it through the lens of what actually has driven every past shake up and every future realignment decision.
That's a pretty stupid comment. Of course we have to look at this through the lens of a basketball fan.

Reaction Score
Do people really think the new PAC-whatever is going to be viewed as a power conference? It’s already being reported that it won’t. Joining all-sports is an insane concept. It would be like moving to the MWC all-sports. Just stop this nonsense.
Where are you getting joining in all-sports from? This would be for football only.

Reaction Score
A lot of times a segment of the board is called delusional. Those proposing giving up four non-conference basketball slots as part of the deal, I don’t know how you would describe that line of thinking

Reaction Score
A lot of times a segment of the board is called delusional. Those proposing giving up four non-conference basketball slots as part of the deal, I don’t know how you would describe that line of thinking
Well there has to be a give and take. Offering what has been a putrid FB program on the other side of the country can't be worth much. 4 too many? How about 3? Presumably UConn would do this for higher revenue and potential access to the CFP. What do they get? Please don't say "early" games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom