Gonazaga joins the Pac12 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gonazaga joins the Pac12

Reaction Score
Do people really think the new PAC-whatever is going to be viewed as a power conference? It’s already being reported that it won’t. Joining all-sports is an insane concept. It would be like moving to the MWC all-sports. Just stop this nonsense.

The only people talking about all sports are you. It’s not on the table.

Reaction Score
A lot of times a segment of the board is called delusional. Those proposing giving up four non-conference basketball slots as part of the deal, I don’t know how you would describe that line of thinking

It’s a pretty good deal actually. I’d be surprised if it was that much though.

Reaction Score
Well there has to be a give and take. Offering what has been a putrid FB program on the other side of the country can't be worth much. 4 too many? How about 3? Presumably UConn would do this for higher revenue and potential access to the CFP. What do they get? Please don't say "early" games.
I would say two games, one of them being an annual game with Gonzaga

Reaction Score
Well there has to be a give and take. Offering what has been a putrid FB program on the other side of the country can't be worth much. 4 too many? How about 3? Presumably UConn would do this for higher revenue and potential access to the CFP. What do they get? Please don't say "early" games.
Putrid yes, but whether in conference or out of conference, these teams seemed to think UConn was worth scheduling. In the past several years UConn has had games against the below MWC teams. I agree that throwing a few hoops games their way is worth it.

Boise State
Fresno State
Utah State
San Jose State
Wyoming

Reaction Score
Putrid yes, but whether in conference or out of conference, these teams seemed to think UConn was worth scheduling. In the past several years UConn has had games against the below MWC teams. I agree that throwing a few hoops games their way is worth it.

Boise State
Fresno State
Utah State
San Jose State
Wyoming
Easy W over a "name brand".

Reaction Score
I would be shocked if it’s all sports. It doesn’t work. Travel, recruiting, money….

It’s FB only with maybe a scheduling agreement in other sports (bb most likely)…

I think there might be questions from PAC about full membership but for UConn it’s a hard no.
Wouldn't mind seeing UNLV and SDSU on the basketball schedule

Reaction Score
Do people really think the new PAC-whatever is going to be viewed as a power conference? It’s already being reported that it won’t. Joining all-sports is an insane concept. It would be like moving to the MWC all-sports. Just stop this nonsense.
Nobody is advocating that but let’s pretend they are so you can get all excited about stopping it. One article said it was discussed or explore which is very likely true.

Reaction Score
Nobody is advocating that but let’s pretend they are so you can get all excited about stopping it. One article said it was discussed or explore which is very likely true.
It probably went like this.
PAC: we want you for all sports.
DB: No but talking doesn’t hurt. How about football only?
PAC: No but talking doesn’t hurt.

Reaction Score
Could we be in two “newbies”? Actually three if you count Newbie Hockey East

Reaction Score
Lamont needs to pressure ESPN to get UConn to the ACC pronto
GIF by Groundhog Day

Reaction Score
Disagree.

Got to look through it from an athletic department lense. That is only way to ensure long term success.
You're missing the context. If we didn't cherish basketball, we'd be in the AAC or some other football conference.

Reaction Score
You're missing the context. If we didn't cherish basketball, we'd be in the AAC or some other football conference.
Doubt it. But East brings greater money than whatever aac was at the time. That’s why we left. That, and we don’t like the tv deal.

Reaction Score
Doubt it. But East brings greater money than whatever aac was at the time. That’s why we left. That, and we don’t like the tv deal.
You are still missing the context. We need to take care of basketball first which is the reason we joined the Big East. This is not news.

Reaction Score
You are still missing the context. We need to take care of basketball first which is the reason we joined the Big East. This is not news.
And that view is why the basketball program is hurt in the long run.

No one, not Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, UCLA take that view.

You view what is best for the department, which in turn is best for long term stability if basketball team.

Of course, UConn’s tradeoffs are different and the bar higher. UConn is able to get into the big east and stay indy because that is in best interest of athletic dept. At this time. It generates more money than aac

If pac-12 wants football, you move football. It doesn't make sense to move other sports there.

But, if big 12, acc actually call. You go without any thought to basketball.

Reaction Score
And that view is why the basketball program is hurt in the long run.

No one, not Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, UCLA take that view.

You view what is best for the department, which in turn is best for long term stability if basketball team.

Of course, UConn’s tradeoffs are different and the bar higher. UConn is able to get into the big east and stay indy because that is in best interest of athletic dept. At this time. It generates more money than aac

If pac-12 wants football, you move football. It doesn't make sense to move other sports there.

But, if big 12, acc actually call. You go without any thought to basketball.
Dude, you are supporting my statement. I don't know why you are belaboring this point. We give basketball a very high priority. Of course we do what is best overall and that includes prioritizing basketball.

If the PAC 12 calls, we go football only because it is not as good for basketball.
If the Big 12 or ACC call, we go all in because it is good for both football and basketball.

The Basketball lens is strong.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom