Reaction Score
492914.jpg
The fact that you have to think...
...makes ya think...
Ya think??

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
(taps mic, is this thing on?) attention, attention! your attention please! now entering the arena (and fully healed from his messed up thumb) is your 2020-2021 University of Connecticut starting point guard - J Gaffney!
next question....

Reaction Score
It will be two points who can score sharing the backcourt with a third guard who does it all. We won several championships with this and Hurley loves three guards and sometimes even 4 guard looks.

Cole (30 mpg), Gaffney (25 mpg), Bouknight (35 mpg) starting at the 1-3, with Adams off the bench (20 mpg) and Jackson getting some run in a bigger lineup (10 mpg, in addition to his time at the 4) is a terrific backcourt at the college level.

This isn't the NBA where you need to be 6'3-6'6-6'8 across the back line. (And even the NBA doesn't play that way anymore.)

Reaction Score
No, this is dead wrong. I didn't see Cole play at Howard, and I know the MEAC isn't the AAC, but this guy has two years of Division 1 history with him including a conference POY award. You can not compare this situation to overrating a QB who has never taken a college snap because of the rating a computer service gave him.

I didn't compare the situation to a back up who's never taken a college snap - a back up QB isn't always just a highly rated guy who's never played. Everyone just loves the potential of the unknown over the already figured out. Although Purvis worked out for us the evaluations of him were through the roof before he put on the UConn jersey. Every year everyone is convinced that the freshman class will immediately step in right away and be fine. Winning a conference POY award is impressive but it's the MEAC. I think he'll come in and be a great addition but acting like there's no doubt he'll have a big adjustment is comical.

Reaction Score
Cole (30 mpg), Gaffney (25 mpg), Bouknight (35 mpg) starting at the 1-3, with Adams off the bench (20 mpg) and Jackson getting some run in a bigger lineup (10 mpg, in addition to his time at the 4) is a terrific backcourt at the college level.

This isn't the NBA where you need to be 6'3-6'6-6'8 across the back line. (And even the NBA doesn't play that way anymore.)

Again, we have a guy who hasn't played a minute for us playing more than this year's starting pg? Not sure about that.

Reaction Score
Again, we have a guy who hasn't played a minute for us playing more than this year's starting pg? Not sure about that.

Would you be less bothered by them both getting 28 mpg?

I don't know how it shakes out exactly, but Cole and Gaffney will both start and get major minutes. Neither of them is getting relegated to the bench.

Reaction Score
Would you be less bothered by them both getting 28 mpg?

I don't know how it shakes out exactly, but Cole and Gaffney will both start and get major minutes. Neither of them is getting relegated to the bench.

Well yea when you put it like that I just feel like an ass. Good point.

Reaction Score
Yeah two of our best guards in history? lol Hope you aren't expecting that next year
You brought up their height. Don't see how height is a problem. It's especially weird as a UConn fan when you saw UConn win national titles with backcourts of El-Amin & Ricky Moore, Taliek & Ben, Bazz & Boat.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
So, Al can participate on Senior night and still be playing for UConn next year. Or not. The other scenario is Al does not participate on Senior night and will still be playing for UConn next year. Or not. Got it. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Some on this board have been hyping up Cole a bunch, even talking about him immediately coming in and running the point/team. I think he's got a bunch of skill but I think if AG played against the competition Cole did he would look like a world beater as well. This board constantly comes down with the "backup qb" sickness - overrating the abilities of someone we don't get the chance to see and denigrating those of the ones we do. I think Gaffney is 100% the starting pg and hope Cole is a great piece next to him/first man off the bench. I think having a AG back next year, if he understands his reduced role, would be big.

There is absolutely 0% chance Cole comes off the bench. Several people connected to the program have heard he’s looked like the best player in practice. He’s being given the keys from day 1.

Reaction Score
Took a quick peak at the numbers again and here’s what I found. He played 11 games against P5/G5 competition (I included A-10 teams and Ivy League). His output is as followed in those games
20.3 PPG
6.3 assists/game
3 TOs/game
32% on 3s
35% on 2s
Nearly 8 free throws/game at 81%

Shooting percentages aren’t great but his usage rates in these games are really high. Probably due to lack of talent on his team and teams keying in on him all game. It’s hard to draw exact conclusions from these but I found the numbers interesting. They won’t ask him to score 20 a game here either. Just need solid, poised play and there’s no reason to think he won’t provide solid production. these stats don’t exactly scream back up QB to me.

Those shooting percentages are while he was double teamed every possession. It’s hard to shoot a good percentage when literally every opposing defense focuses their efforts on you.

Reaction Score
A recruiting analyst based in Florida has heard some graduate transfer talk about Gilbert down there. Would that surprise anyone?

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Look, Hurley has already taken two shots at bringing in the "big fish" we need -- Springs and Brown-Ferguson. Why are we so quick to write these guys off? We are bringing back starters at both the the 4 and 5, and we've already recruited back-ups behind both. Further, we have two other bigs on the injured list who may well be giving us serviceable minutes by the second half on next year. Meanwhile we have exactly two ball-handlers -- Gaffney and Cole -- an injury to either one leaving us having to alternate Bouk at point, a position where he clearly would be less effective as the Richard Hamilton rover he naturally is. Further we have a coach who loves to play 4-guards and is showing postitive results doing it. Further, bringing in Jackson next year only enhances the opportunity to go small and athletic at the corners. Net-net, the best use of AG's scholarship may well be to have AG hold onto it.
I never was a fan in small ball. 3 guards maybe.But 4?Your right it is working. We talk about bigs, Bouk is a rebound maniac. It seems at times he and CV were having a contest.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
You brought up their height. Don't see how height is a problem. It's especially weird as a UConn fan when you saw UConn win national titles with backcourts of El-Amin & Ricky Moore, Taliek & Ben, Bazz & Boat.

Ben Gordon is 6'3 Taliek is 6'1 and Ricky is 6'2. That's not the short were talking about. They aren't even short in MCBB.

If Cole was that height, I'd be psyched. But he's reportedly more like Gilbert. And Gilbert's height is hurts us.

And you should be well aware that at a certain level of talent, height doesn't matter. ie Bazz/Boat. Guys like Cole and Gilbert ain't remotely in that realm.

Reaction Score
Ben Gordon is 6'3 Taliek is 6'1 and Ricky is 6'2. That's not the short were talking about. They aren't even short in MCBB.

If Cole was that height, I'd be psyched. But he's reportedly more like Gilbert. And Gilbert's height is hurts us.

But vis a vis height itself, it doesn't matter, if you've got all time players. ie Bazz/Boat. Cole ain't remotely in that realm
And Jalen Gaffney is 6'2 so if Ben/Ricky/Taliek don't count then Jalen shouldn't either

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
And Jalen Gaffney is 6'2 so if Ben/Ricky/Taliek don't count then Jalen shouldn't either

Whoever said I was calling Jalen short? I'm calling a sub 6' two guard short. We talking about Cole and Cole alone here.

I said it's rough having a very short two guard (ie playing Cole at the 2). It's bad enough having a short PG (think Alterique/Cole), but at two guard it is more detrimental. Especially on D. He'll likely get his ass handed to him on D at the two.

If they were Bazz talented, then no worries

Last edited:

nadav

I hit skins for the hell of it
Reaction Score
There is absolutely 0% chance Cole comes off the bench. Several people connected to the program have heard he’s looked like the best player in practice. He’s being given the keys from day 1.
There is absolutely 0% chance Cole is a better player than Bouk.

Reaction Score
Many here will look like idiots this time next year in regards to Gaffney.

Hurley is bringing him along and will be his extension on the floor. And the kid can score it not his job currently.

Cole is a different type of PG he is a PG by default because of his size. Cole is a SG/combo.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Once the season is over, it's time for AG to write the next chapter in his life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom