Gilbert | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gilbert

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Let me preface this with, I love AG as a person and as a competitor and I respect the heck out of Hurley for letting AG make this decision about his future.

But with all the talk on here about the need for a knock down shooter or an impact big, Gilbert has one solid game as a reserve guard off the bench and suddenly everyone is hoping he returns? He is that last scholarship we have been recruiting for currently, unless someone else transfers...

Are people forgetting we have Cole coming in next year too? Gaffney will likely shift back to the back up spot to start next year in all likelihood. No need for Gaffney to be the “best point guard” on the planet, just give us a solid 20-25 minutes per night, which he is already more than capable of doing.

If the choice is to bring back AG to play like he played last night, a top tier grad transfer or a major freshman recruit, I’d prefer to see AG walk (pun intended) and try to bring in a big fish.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Let me preface this with, I love AG as a person and as a competitor and I respect the heck out of Hurley for letting AG make this decision about his future.

But with all the talk on here about the need for a knock down shooter or an impact big, Gilbert has one solid game as a reserve guard off the bench and suddenly everyone is hoping he returns? He is that last scholarship we have been recruiting for currently, unless someone else transfers...

Are people forgetting we have Cole coming in next year too? Gaffney will likely shift back to the back up spot to start next year in all likelihood. No need for Gaffney to be the “best point guard” on the planet, just give us a solid 20-25 minutes per night, which he is already more than capable of doing.

If the choice is to bring back AG to play like he played last night, a top tier grad transfer or a major freshman recruit, I’d prefer to see AG walk (pun intended) and try to bring in a big fish.

He played good but is still a good awful shooter and a defensive liability.

I've said several times he has finally found a role which best utilizes his post-injured game and maximizes his benefit for the team.

That being said I expect Cole next year to at least match AG's output and impact.

Reaction Score

Look, Hurley has already taken two shots at bringing in the "big fish" we need -- Springs and Brown-Ferguson. Why are we so quick to write these guys off? We are bringing back starters at both the the 4 and 5, and we've already recruited back-ups behind both. Further, we have two other bigs on the injured list who may well be giving us serviceable minutes by the second half on next year. Meanwhile we have exactly two ball-handlers -- Gaffney and Cole -- an injury to either one leaving us having to alternate Bouk at point, a position where he clearly would be less effective as the Richard Hamilton rover he naturally is. Further we have a coach who loves to play 4-guards and is showing postitive results doing it. Further, bringing in Jackson next year only enhances the opportunity to go small and athletic at the corners. Net-net, the best use of AG's scholarship may well be to have AG hold onto it.

Reaction Score
It is always hard when someone leaves because you love depth when there are injuries, etc. - especially at the point. But I would be shocked if he is back based on how the season has evolved. If he wants to keep playing in college, he is a grad and can play immediately elsewhere next year. I can see him on a good mid major team and really contributing over him getting a spot 15 mins off the bench.

Reaction Score
Cole is the primary PG next year, and Gaffney has been starting for this team for weeks. Not sure what the hell you are talking about.
Gaffney is an intriguing player to me, he feels like the guy on the roster whose most likely to make the biggest leap improvement wise into next season. I like his poise and the style in which he plays, he’s just not quite there yet. You heard Seth Greenberg hit on it last night, talking about how certain plays (missed layup in traffic) are the next parts of his game and how he is almost a game manager out there, a bit timid. I think JG is gonna make a big jump into next season. He is going to fill out his body a bit more, tighten his handle, improve his jump shot etc, he’s going to be a really productive player. He to me is the guy where it’s gonna click and he’s going to be ready to produce at a higher level next season. Bouk obviously will as well, but I can’t help but feel like JG is going to be the guy who will most benefit from having a full offseason to train. You see the glimpses and it’s going to come together next season. All that being said, idk what AG will want to do, but he may look at being a back up guard to JG and RJ Cole and decide to move on.

Reaction Score
Looked like a PG once someone was able to catch his lightning quick passes. He suffered for the talent around him more than anybody on this team. His defense was huge today and he shut down those easy layups Once he came in.

Too much optimism from beating a bad team at home comfortably last night, especially given that we played our worst D of the year in the opening ten minutes. Against a better team we would have had to come back from being ten down.

Gilbert played more last night, and Gaffney less, in part becaue of Gilbert staying within himself and playing well, but far more because Gaffney was horrific defensively. If we had a ten man roster, my guess is Gaffney would have been nailed to the bench after the opening ten minutes.

He is capable of more and we'll need more consistently. We're not beating Houston with that effort. But it's nice to know that if Gaffney has an off night Gilbert seems to be broken of the habits that plagued the first half of the season.

Reaction Score
Let Gilbert finish the season before we have a thread like this.

This. I also wouldn't read too much into whether or not AG wants to be honored on Senior NIght. Dollars to donuts that he's been told "decide whether you want to be honored or not and then when the season's over let's sit down, I'll tell you what I see your role as next year and then it's your choice what you want to do."

Let's all remember one thing -- Gilbert has been practicing with and against Cole all season. My guess is he, Hurley and everyone on the team has a pretty good idea whether one is better than the other or they will truly be competing for minutes.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
He is capable of more and we'll need more consistently. We're not beating Houston with that effort. But it's nice to know that if Gaffney has an off night Gilbert seems to be broken of the habits that plagued the first half of the season.
I just keep thinking what a nice luxury it is to have a guard of that caliber, and with that much history with this program, coming off the bench.

And then I think about our most pressing needs for next year and wonder whether we can afford that luxury.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
No room for AG next year. UConn needs a big to play along side Whaley. Better that he graduates and moves on. His is the only scholarship open without forcing someone to leave the program. Tough to force someone out a year from his degree.
I don't know, with an appropriate stretching regime I think Alterique can be effective for us next year.

CL82

Reaction Score
NO KETTLEBELLS!!!
Agree. It's crazy that our guys are using them. Too much stress on the back.

Reaction Score
I just keep thinking what a nice luxury it is to have a guard of that caliber, and with that much history with this program, coming off the bench.

And then I think about our most pressing needs for next year and wonder whether we can afford that luxury.
He’s been playing well of late and finally starting to play within himself. I love going small as much as the next person, but one thing to remember is: we’re losing CV whose one of the best rebounding guards out there. That’s going to be tough to replace that if we stay small a lot next season. We have a large hole to fill with the absence of Akok and his ability to affect the game defensively. Not saying I want AG to leave, but one way or another, really think this team needs an impact 4 man.

Reaction Score

We certainly could if we knew both Polley and Akok would be back at 100%, but in Akok's case that would be really unlikely. So if you're asking me what is best for the team, if you could get a 4 who is an impact starter -- like the kid at Yale -- you would want him. Towns, yes if healthy, but you can't take any injury risk given that you already have two injury risks, and that makes him probably not going to happen. Marfo at Quinnipiac? Don't see him being good enough at our level.

But based on what we've heard, it's going to be Gilbert's decision to make, not Hurley's, and I'm fine with that. There is a long term benefit to recruiting if kids know that they're not going to be pushed out if they are keeping their noses clean and giving it their best effort.

Reaction Score
I expect Al to take center court on senior day whether he returns or not since he's a senior.

CL82

Reaction Score
It is not just about basketball. If Gibert has graduated, and ,Hurley, in order to keep Gibert on the team, has to pull the scholarship from a player entering his senior year, then it is just not the right to do.
Or if he had to kill a guy. That would be wrong too.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
That being said I expect Cole next year to at least match AG's output and impact.
Based on nothing but his resume, I'm hoping for more than that.

Reaction Score
It is not just about basketball. If Gibert has graduated, and ,Hurley, in order to keep Gibert on the team, has to pull the scholarship from a player entering his senior year, then it is just not the right to do.
The scholarship is open for AL so other plays ship would be pulled.

Reaction Score
I'd prefer to wait before speculating, but curious to know more about Cole. If he is a shooter and can play off the ball, he can fill into CV's shoes and JG and AG handle the primary ball handling duties. That way with Bouk we remain a 3 headed dog. But I trust in Hurley and Al coming to the best mutual conclusion. Personally, as a fan, I'd like to see him back. Just pleased that he's still fighting and got through the bumps to contribute in a limited role.

pj

Reaction Score
Alterique may not be the only guy graduating. Other players have enough credits after three years to graduate.

If Alterique comes back, he'll be the 3rd point guard and 3rd shooting guard. Not sure that's a role that makes sense for him. Grad transfer to a place where he can start, or earning money overseas, are good options.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom