Gilbert | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gilbert

Reaction Score
I'd prefer to wait before speculating, but curious to know more about Cole. If he is a shooter and can play off the ball, he can fill into CV's shoes and JG and AG handle the primary ball handling duties. That way with Bouk we remain a 3 headed dog. But I trust in Hurley and Al coming to the best mutual conclusion. Personally, as a fan, I'd like to see him back. Just pleased that he's still fighting and got through the bumps to contribute in a limited role.

Some on this board have been hyping up Cole a bunch, even talking about him immediately coming in and running the point/team. I think he's got a bunch of skill but I think if AG played against the competition Cole did he would look like a world beater as well. This board constantly comes down with the "backup qb" sickness - overrating the abilities of someone we don't get the chance to see and denigrating those of the ones we do. I think Gaffney is 100% the starting pg and hope Cole is a great piece next to him/first man off the bench. I think having a AG back next year, if he understands his reduced role, would be big.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Look, Hurley has already taken two shots at bringing in the "big fish" we need -- Springs and Brown-Ferguson. Why are we so quick to write these guys off? We are bringing back starters at both the the 4 and 5, and we've already recruited back-ups behind both. Further, we have two other bigs on the injured list who may well be giving us serviceable minutes by the second half on next year. Meanwhile we have exactly two ball-handlers -- Gaffney and Cole -- an injury to either one leaving us having to alternate Bouk at point, a position where he clearly would be less effective as the Richard Hamilton rover he naturally is. Further we have a coach who loves to play 4-guards and is showing postitive results doing it. Further, bringing in Jackson next year only enhances the opportunity to go small and athletic at the corners. Net-net, the best use of AG's scholarship may well be to have AG hold onto it.

You're not wrong, Springs and Javonte Brown Ferguson will be great additions. But if we have the opportunity to bring in Cliff (seems unlikely, but "recruiting is fluid") or get our 2021 top center prospect Sanogo on a reclass it would be mind boggling to pass that up to bring back a guard who at best we can hope will be a second or third string PG.

Also the opportunity to bring in a much needed shooter on the grad transfer market, which AG is not, would be tough to pass up as well.

We know what the ceiling is for AG at this point. I'd love to see us have that spot to take a shot at an improvement. Worst case scenario, we bring in a grad transfer who can give us the same production as AG. Best case scenario, we bring in a game changer.

Reaction Score
Look, Hurley has already taken two shots at bringing in the "big fish" we need -- Springs and Brown-Ferguson. Why are we so quick to write these guys off? We are bringing back starters at both the the 4 and 5, and we've already recruited back-ups behind both. Further, we have two other bigs on the injured list who may well be giving us serviceable minutes by the second half on next year. Meanwhile we have exactly two ball-handlers -- Gaffney and Cole -- an injury to either one leaving us having to alternate Bouk at point, a position where he clearly would be less effective as the Richard Hamilton rover he naturally is. Further we have a coach who loves to play 4-guards and is showing postitive results doing it. Further, bringing in Jackson next year only enhances the opportunity to go small and athletic at the corners. Net-net, the best use of AG's scholarship may well be to have AG hold onto it.

You are forgetting Brendan Adams whose more than capable of playing the point.

Reaction Score
I have been an AG supporter. We are seeing many flashes of what he can be. Saying he's a god awful shooter or thinking any freshman will be better are probably off base. First of all, the kid has a beautiful stroke. His mechanics are near perfect. I guarantee his shooting has been a mental issue and he's lights out in practice. I think we are seeing a rebirth and I sensed Hurley was nurturing him last night a few times. Pulling him aside, teaching, praising and smiling. Hurley likes AG a lot. He's trying to help him get better and use all that talent, of which there is plenty.

Given his injuries and limited teammates, I will give AG a pass on a lot of his earlier mistakes. The people saying he looked good playing with people that can catch have a solid take. He looked like a PG to me. He was finishing in lane because there wasn't 3 defenders there waiting. Why? Because, now you can't leave our other guys open. They will burn you, before they couldn't do anything. The game is opening up primarily because everyone, especially Bouk and Whaley are playing so much better. I also love AG's on ball defense. He creates a lot of issues. The main reason Gaffney got the steal and reverse last night was AG bothering the passer. It was a team effort and I love them out there together. They handle pressure much better in tandem. We will be a much bigger threat nationally with Gilbert, Cole and Gaffney than without. Experienced guards win championships.

Last edited:

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
We be a much bigger threat nationally with Gilbert, Cole and Gaffney than without.

What about a Cole, Gaffney and Townes/Darling combo? Or Burner/Cliff/Sanogo? Plenty of options with as much, if not more upside out there. No one is saying get rid of AG and bring in some random freshman project. I think the smart play is to use that spot to try for an upgrade, and at the very least we can fall back on a grad transfer who can give us the production we will expect from AG (2nd/3rd string PG).

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'd prefer to wait before speculating, but curious to know more about Cole. If he is a shooter and can play off the ball, he can fill into CV's shoes and JG and AG handle the primary ball handling duties. That way with Bouk we remain a 3 headed dog. But I trust in Hurley and Al coming to the best mutual conclusion. Personally, as a fan, I'd like to see him back. Just pleased that he's still fighting and got through the bumps to contribute in a limited role.

I think you are seeing it now when AG plays with Gaffney. I haven't seen Cole practice, but I expect that we will see some three guard lineups, with Cole, Gafney and Bouk all on the court (or Adams). Jackson is a point forward/guard who can also create for others. In short, I don't expect that we will have any one guy who is getting the majority of assists on this team. I expect a higher assist rate overall, spread across multiple guys.

The clear need right now is in the front court, and I expect Al would likely move on to pro ball somewhere. If not, I'm glad that UConn would welcome him back.

Reaction Score
I want Gilbert back, more for his potential & described in past leadership than even his play. Idk who better to mentor Akok & polley on their way back than AG

Reaction Score
Not speculating on anyone specific, but we could make room if AG wants to stay.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is an intriguing player to me, he feels like the guy on the roster whose most likely to make the biggest leap improvement wise into next season. I like his poise and the style in which he plays, he’s just not quite there yet. You heard Seth Greenberg hit on it last night, talking about how certain plays (missed layup in traffic) are the next parts of his game and how he is almost a game manager out there, a bit timid. I think JG is gonna make a big jump into next season. He is going to fill out his body a bit more, tighten his handle, improve his jump shot etc, he’s going to be a really productive player. He to me is the guy where it’s gonna click and he’s going to be ready to produce at a higher level next season. Bouk obviously will as well, but I can’t help but feel like JG is going to be the guy who will most benefit from having a full offseason to train. You see the glimpses and it’s going to come together next season. All that being said, idk what AG will want to do, but he may look at being a back up guard to JG and RJ Cole and decide to move on.
I have complete confidence Gaffney will make a huge jump next year, just listen to the way Hurley and Bouknight talk about him.

Reaction Score
If you read the Boneyard you would know that Gaffney is the best point guard in the country right now.
I’m not sold on gaff either. This board loves him. Hope AG comes back. Gonna need his on the ball D. Never too many ball handlers

Reaction Score
Let me preface this with, I love AG as a person and as a competitor and I respect the heck out of Hurley for letting AG make this decision about his future.

But with all the talk on here about the need for a knock down shooter or an impact big, Gilbert has one solid game as a reserve guard off the bench and suddenly everyone is hoping he returns? He is that last scholarship we have been recruiting for currently, unless someone else transfers...

Are people forgetting we have Cole coming in next year too? Gaffney will likely shift back to the back up spot to start next year in all likelihood. No need for Gaffney to be the “best point guard” on the planet, just give us a solid 20-25 minutes per night, which he is already more than capable of doing.

If the choice is to bring back AG to play like he played last night, a top tier grad transfer or a major freshman recruit, I’d prefer to see AG walk (pun intended) and try to bring in a big fish.
We re prolly not getting a top tier grad transfer or a major frosh recruit. The question is - will AG have more impact next year than a new guy coming in? Odds are yes.

Reaction Score
Some on this board have been hyping up Cole a bunch, even talking about him immediately coming in and running the point/team. I think he's got a bunch of skill but I think if AG played against the competition Cole did he would look like a world beater as well. This board constantly comes down with the "backup qb" sickness - overrating the abilities of someone we don't get the chance to see and denigrating those of the ones we do. I think Gaffney is 100% the starting pg and hope Cole is a great piece next to him/first man off the bench. I think having a AG back next year, if he understands his reduced role, would be big.

No, this is dead wrong. I didn't see Cole play at Howard, and I know the MEAC isn't the AAC, but this guy has two years of Division 1 history with him including a conference POY award. You can not compare this situation to overrating a QB who has never taken a college snap because of the rating a computer service gave him.

Reaction Score
Took a quick peak at the numbers again and here’s what I found. He played 11 games against P5/G5 competition (I included A-10 teams and Ivy League). His output is as followed in those games
20.3 PPG
6.3 assists/game
3 TOs/game
32% on 3s
35% on 2s
Nearly 8 free throws/game at 81%

Shooting percentages aren’t great but his usage rates in these games are really high. Probably due to lack of talent on his team and teams keying in on him all game. It’s hard to draw exact conclusions from these but I found the numbers interesting. They won’t ask him to score 20 a game here either. Just need solid, poised play and there’s no reason to think he won’t provide solid production. these stats don’t exactly scream back up QB to me.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Also need to think about Whaley possibly going NBA
492914.jpg

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I'd prefer to wait before speculating, but curious to know more about Cole. If he is a shooter and can play off the ball, he can fill into CV's shoes and JG and AG handle the primary ball handling duties.

He'll be nothing like CV tho. CV fills a stat sheet, especially on the boards and on D. Cole struggles a bit on D reportedly. And he's short as Gilbert. We want 30+ min from Bouk at the 2 anyway.

I'm hoping Cole can be our backup PG to Gaffney. Just need Gaff to develop over the summer, especially his handle.

I'm thinking Cole can be like Gilbert with a big boost on offense, and a step back on D

Reaction Score
He'll be nothing like CV tho. CV fills a stat sheet, especially on the boards and on D. Cole struggles a bit on D reportedly. And he's short as Gilbert. We want 30+ min from Bouk at the 2 anyway.

I'm hoping Cole can be our backup PG to Gaffney. Just need Gaff to develop over the summer, especially his handle.

I'm thinking Cole can be like Gilbert with a big boost on offense, and a step back on D
I would be pretty shocked if Cole, Gaffney, and Bouknight aren't our starting backcourt next season.

Reaction Score

I'm not as much questioning if Cole is similar to CV, more so speculating if he will be better in the 2 spot than the 1. So that you run something of a JG/AG @ 1, Cole @ 2 and Bouk @ 3 in a similar 3 prong attack that we run now. If Cole is more of a pure 1 (I see he avg'd 6 assists), then it appears to be more of a logjam at pure ball handlers. If he can play off ball and shoot, Cole would take CV's mins, but not his style of play. Bouk rebounds above his weight class so that fills some of the rebounding void in playing small.

Reaction Score
Thought AG footwork last nite was exceptional. Very quick at putting body in front of his man.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm not as much questioning if Cole is similar to CV, more so speculating if he will be better in the 2 spot than the 1. So that you run something of a JG/AG @ 1, Cole @ 2 and Bouk @ 3 in a similar 3 prong attack that we run now. If Cole is more of a pure 1 (I see he avg'd 6 assists), then it appears to be more of a logjam at pure ball handlers. If he can play off ball and shoot, Cole would take CV's mins, but not his style of play. Bouk rebounds above his weight class so that fills some of the rebounding void in playing small.

As I already said, there is no fixed 1 or 2 spot when they are both in. Cole will be better bringing the ball up against pressure than Gaffney. Just as AG is. Yes, he can play off the ball and so can Gaffney. Think about the position the way it was with Boat and Bazz. These two guys are more dissimilar than those two, and I think will be complimentary to each other.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I would be pretty shocked if Cole, Gaffney, and Bouknight aren't our starting backcourt next season.

Leaving AG out for now, then the only backup guard is Adams. We're overloaded on the wing with Jackson, Sid, Bouk when we want, and Polley if he can recover and give us anything.

I'm hoping for a good GT PF comes in. Then I'm looking at Gaff, Bouk, Jackson, PF, and whoever you want at center.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

I get it, I just think having a short ass two guard is rough. Bad enough at the point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom