Gilbert | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Gilbert

Reaction Score
Whoever said I was calling Jalen short? I'm calling a sub 6' two guard short. We talking about Cole and Cole alone here.

I said it's rough having a very short two guard (ie playing Cole at the 2). It's bad enough having a short PG (think Alterique/Cole), but at two guard it is more detrimental. Especially on D. He'll likely get his ass handed to him on D at the two.

If they were Bazz talented, then no worries
But Cole won't be playing the 2, Gaffney will be playing the 2. So Cole being short for a 2 guard is irrelevant

Reaction Score
I dunno about that. AG didn't do much world beating during the cupcake portion of our schedule.

honestly, I would make the argument that those games got him playing some really bad basketball because he thought he was so much better than those guys and was trying to do too much himself. He’s definitely looked more comfortable in a reduced role where the expectations are a little more relaxed

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
There is absolutely 0% chance Cole comes off the bench. Several people connected to the program have heard he’s looked like the best player in practice. He’s being given the keys from day 1.

So now it's multiple team managers, you "insiders" are funny people.

Reaction Score
Ben Gordon is 6'3 Taliek is 6'1 and Ricky is 6'2. That's not the short were talking about. They aren't even short in MCBB.

If Cole was that height, I'd be psyched. But he's reportedly more like Gilbert. And Gilbert's height is hurts us.

But vis a vis height itself, it doesn't matter, if you've got all time players. ie Bazz/Boat. Cole ain't remotely in that realm
The point is they'll play together along with Bouknight just like pretty much all our championship backcourts. Two point guards/playmakers we don't know which will be the more ball dominant one until we see them together in games. If your point is they aren't as good as all those backcourts that's an entirely different thing.

Ben Gordon is 6'1, Shabazz is 5'11, Boat is 5'10, Khalid is 5'9. Heights are often exaggerated but Gaff is clearly at least 6'2 and Bouk is clearly at least 6'4, Cole is 5'11 I think.

Reaction Score
Just as bold to think someone you never seen could be close to Bouk.

Could be a Ferrari in the garage or could be a Honda Accord

The only reason I think that is because several people have said Cole has been the best player in practice.

Reaction Score
So now it's multiple team managers, you "insiders" are funny people.

Not even close actually. I haven’t heard much on Cole. I believe it was BFieldHusky who said he’s heard Cole has been the best player in practice.

Reaction Score
There is absolutely 0% chance Cole comes off the bench. Several people connected to the program have heard he’s looked like the best player in practice. He’s being given the keys from day 1.

The ones who said the same about Purvis? The ones hyping Sid up? I think Cole will be good but this sort of hyperbole and expectations are peak boneyard

Reaction Score
The ones who said the same about Purvis? The ones hyping Sid up? I think Cole will be good but this sort of hyperbole and expectations are peak boneyard

Time will prove all the doubters wrong. No point in arguing over a guy nobody has seen play in high D1 basketball. I’m just going off what I’ve heard and it’s all been good.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Time will prove all the doubters wrong. No point in arguing over a guy nobody has seen play in high D1 basketball. I’m just going off what I’ve heard and it’s all been good.

you just said you haven’t heard much... what is with these lies.

Not even close actually. I haven’t heard much on Cole. I believe it was BFieldHusky who said he’s heard Cole has been the best player in practice.

Reaction Score
I don’t remember any hype like purvis got for Sid, but maybe I’m misremembering.
sid still so raw years later can’t imagine it.

think about how many players we’ve seen in the ncaas from smaller schools and thinking to ourselves ‘man we can use that guy’- Cole was a Player of the Year in his league.

Smaller school Stars are often really skilled guys that are smaller in size or not crazy projectible speed/strength wise.

After the last few years of KO, give me skilled guys all day long over all athletes. Obviously u need a mix, but we’ve been crazy deficient in skill for years and starting to fix that.

thats why I’m and I’d guess many others are so excited about Cole.

Reaction Score
you just said you haven’t heard much... what is with these lies.

What lies? I myself have not heard much. But he’s drawing praise from everyone who has gotten info. Are you ignoring all the insiders saying he’s the best player in practice? When I say “I’m just going off what I’ve heard” that means what I’ve read on this board from people who are connected...not me personally. There is absolutely no reason for me to lie on this board.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The point is they'll play together along with Bouknight just like pretty much all our championship backcourts. Two point guards/playmakers we don't know which will be the more ball dominant one until we see them together in games. If your point is they aren't as good as all those backcourts that's an entirely different thing.

Ben Gordon is 6'1, Shabazz is 5'11, Boat is 5'10, Khalid is 5'9. Heights are often exaggerated but Gaff is clearly at least 6'2 and Bouk is clearly at least 6'4, Cole is 5'11 I think.

Yes, and what matters is who they defend. Cole isn't AG on the defensive side (as reported at least) but he will defend the other team's shorter, PG. Gaff is better equipped to guard a SG, and Bouk either SG or SF (especially if he can add a little muscle).

On a team where we are lately playing Brendan Adams at PF people seem awfully hung up on who the PG is. Hurley hasn't built this roster in a way that requires the offense to flow through one guy. He doesn't want a ball dominant PG out there. It's why Alterique's style didn't fit that well. He wants five guys, all moving, all moving the ball in the air. Jackson might lead this team in assists, or at least assists per minute played.

Reaction Score
This seems to contradict your other posts.

Reaction Score
This seems to contradict your other posts.

From my post literally about hour ago:

What lies? I myself have not heard much. But he’s drawing praise from everyone who has gotten info. Are you ignoring all the insiders saying he’s the best player in practice? When I say “I’m just going off what I’ve heard” that means what I’ve read on this board from people who are connected...not me personally. There is absolutely no reason for me to lie on this board.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
But Cole won't be playing the 2, Gaffney will be playing the 2. So Cole being short for a 2 guard is irrelevant

We were just discussing Cole playing the two! That was my whole retort to the guy...that that would be a bad idea.

This is what he said and what I was responding to:

I'd prefer to wait before speculating, but curious to know more about Cole. If he is a shooter and can play off the ball, he can fill into CV's shoes and JG and AG handle the primary ball handling duties. That way with Bouk we remain a 3 headed dog. But I trust in Hurley and Al coming to the best mutual conclusion. Personally, as a fan, I'd like to see him back. Just pleased that he's still fighting and got through the bumps to contribute in a limited role.
I get it, I just think having a short ass two guard is rough. Bad enough at the point.

Reaction Score
We were just discussing Cole playing the two! That was my whole retort to the guy...that that would be a bad idea.

This is what he said and what I was responding to:
The point that I was driving at, is not that guard roles have to be purely categorized as 1, 2 or 3, but more so on their capabilities. We need a shooter. To me, Gaff and AG in their current state are not great shooters. They are more geared to primarily handling the ball, breaking the press, calling plays, leading the offense and making assists. If Cole falls into this mold, then maybe AG isn't quite as needed. If Cole can play off the ball more and be a catch and shooter, then AG is more valuable.

Isn't Cole 6'+? I don't see that as too short for the 2. Its not like we would have AG and Boatright both out there at once.

Reaction Score
Just as bold to think someone you never seen could be close to Bouk.

Could be a Ferrari in the garage or could be a Honda Accord
he will be either a Purvis or a Gibbs. thanks for bringing back the Ferrari analogy

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Pretty bold statement for someone you’ve never seen play.

I've heard 'monster in practice' about so many guys I can't even count. Ajou Ajou, Purvis, Akok, Majok....and so on and so on.

Usually turns out to be very overstated.

What I've heard that peaked my interest most from both the media and posters is that he really needs to work on his D. As a small guy (looking at him), that speaks volumes.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Isn't Cole 6'+? I don't see that as too short for the 2. Its not like we would have AG and Boatright both out there at once.

Everything I've seen lists Cole at 6'-1"

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Everything I've seen lists Cole at 6'-1"

I'm not looking at his listing, as I never really trust those until they've been to the combine. I'm looking at his height as it appears on the court.

Most observers of practice says he appears pretty small as well.

All I know is that Hurley is on record as still looking for a big guard, preferably who can shoot, for next year. That's telling.

The point that I was driving at, is not that guard roles have to be purely categorized as 1, 2 or 3, but more so on their capabilities. We need a shooter. To me, Gaff and AG in their current state are not great shooters. They are more geared to primarily handling the ball, breaking the press, calling plays, leading the offense and making assists. If Cole falls into this mold, then maybe AG isn't quite as needed. If Cole can play off the ball more and be a catch and shooter, then AG is more valuable.

On offense, this sounds fine. Just note that Cole is reportedly less athletic than AG. Also, he's def below him defensively. And compared to CV, forget about it.

Bouk and Gaff will have to make major, major steps up defensively if we are going to play Cole with them at the same time.

Reaction Score
All I know is that Hurley is on record as still looking for a big guard, preferably who can shoot, for next year. That's telling.
We already have big guards. See Bouk, Badams and even Jackson. We need a shooter, and sounds to me like another swarming D guy, if we are to go the new guard route. But Hurley knows better than I.

Last edited:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Not just a Boneyard thing. Let's not forget the proclamation of Billy Packer regarding Ajou Deng.

I have no problem with the hyperbole. My issue is that some people take forecasting as a given. If the forecasts are inaccurate some of these people take it out on the players and/or coaches instead of realizing that they were foolish to treat the forecasts as anything other than speculation.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom