Gilbert out for season...again | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gilbert out for season...again

C

Chief00

Its a long recuperation process, no one screw up. The next surgery is the similar to the one that Rodney had in 12/2013. He took 4 months off. Hoping to see Al back practicing with Akinjo this summer

I hope so too, but I also wish he will be able to get months of shooting practice in - without that he won’t be as effective.

Regarding, did the surgeon screw up? I was asked that question by another poster since I had come out early on and said he shouldn’t play this year after the re-injury.

I said I did not know if someone screwed up, obviously I don’t have the data to make the call. As I said some time ago, I go by what I see and something just seems strange about this recuperation process. He was reinjuried last summer to some extent causing the panic about a new and better brace, which begs the question why he did not have that better brace in the first place? Then he is given the green light yet again and yet again it’s just a matter of a few games and he’s re-injuried just like last year, despite wearing the brace. Then it takes a month to determine the next step after consulting Dr Andrews group. It has NOT been a smooth process, I do know that.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I hope so too, but I also wish he will be able to get months of shooting practice in - without that he won’t be as effective.

Regarding, did the surgeon screw up? I was asked that question by another poster since I had come out early on and said he shouldn’t play this year after the re-injury.

I said I did not know if someone screwed up, obviously I don’t have the data to make the call. As I said some time ago, I go by what I see and something just seems strange about this recuperation process. He was reinjuried last summer to some extent causing the panic about a new and better brace, which begs the question why he did not have that better brace in the first place? Then he is given the green light yet again and yet again it’s just a matter of a few games and he’s re-injuried just like last year. Then it takes a month to determine the next step after consulting Dr Andrews group. It has NOT been a smooth process, I do know that.
They may call you doctor, or they may call you chief...

Reaction Score
In my opinion/medical experience (no inside information)

Surgery 1 and 2 were probably along the lines of a Bankart Repair (basically a repair of the soft tissue and the first line of surgical intervention). Benefits are full ROM however some possibility of re-injury.

When there are failures of these surgeries (no ones fault in particular) then a bone block (Latarjet) procedure is performed. This allows for rock solid stability but sacrifices motion which you don't want to do in high level athletes unless absolutely necessary. Latarjet for Instability

Reaction Score
I don’t know if anyone screwed it up but it certainly wasn’t a successful outcome. I wished I had been wrong about this. I really like Gilbert as a person.

Not too worry, I expect you will be wrong on many things down the road. Quite frankly, I have complete faith in you.

Reaction Score

I said I did not know if someone screwed up, obviously I don’t have the data to make the call. As I said some time ago, I go by what I see and something just seems strange about this recuperation process. He was reinjuried last summer to some extent causing the panic about a new and better brace, which begs the question why he did not have that better brace in the first place? Then he is given the green light yet again and yet again it’s just a matter of a few games and he’s re-injuried just like last year, despite wearing the brace. Then it takes a month to determine the next step after consulting Dr Andrews group. It has NOT been a smooth process, I do know that.

I thought you were a pizza parlor investor, but now a surgeon?

Any thoughts on the corns on my feet?

Happy New Year.

But then again I should shut up, you do bring a lot of thoughts/opinions to the board (which is close to being on life support).

Reaction Score
Why is everybody showing rique the door? So you can all turn around and say “ see it’s ollie they all keep leaving “. It’s just weird I feel like some of you are s bit too eager for more drama.
No one is showing him the door, the point is here's a guy who has had numerous significant injuries and surgeries to the same shoulder in a short period of time. For UConn to proceed as if he'll come back 100% OK with no problems and no risk of reinjury would be completely foolish.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
It has to do with the joint itself, unlike the hip which is a true "ball & socket" joint. The shoulder is a composition of 3 bones (scapula, clivacle and humerus) with the first 2 forming a partial socket (not full), unlike the pelvis. In saying that, the shoulder joint is supported with multiple ligaments and tendons drawn in numerous directions to create a stable joint. Once you compromise that joint, it is very hard to recreate its natural stabililty. Even with surgery, it is never a sure thing to be 100% again. I wouldn't blame surgeon unless there was some kind of gross negligence during the procedure.

Reaction Score
Just read on ticker another kid the staff recruited hard but late who we would've loved to have had, Justin Jackson out for the year for the Terrapins for a shoulder. Good player wish him well also.

C

Chief00

It has to do with the joint itself, unlike the hip which is a true "ball & socket" joint. The shoulder is a composition of 3 bones (scapula, clivacle and humerus) with the first 2 forming a partial socket (not full), unlike the pelvis. In saying that, the shoulder joint is supported with multiple ligaments and tendons drawn in numerous directions to create a stable joint. Once you compromise that joint, it is very hard to recreate its natural stabililty. Even with surgery, it is never a sure thing to be 100% again. I wouldn't blame surgeon unless there was some kind of gross negligence during the procedure.

Thanks for the insights.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Oh, good. I'm glad the thread has kept on topic about a young man who has suffered two devastating injuries in consecutive years, and not the off-topic "fire Ollie" stuff that you see in so many other threads... :confused:
Then again, I'd wince at the thought of reading most of these comments aloud to Alterique. I'm sorry to hear the news and wish him the best.

Reaction Score
No surprise here. I mentioned before the season we can't totally count on our injured players coming back fully healthy. Unfortunately nobody decent wanted to come here. Sad for the kid but it still doesn't change that KO has to make the tourney this year or be out.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

Leaving all the above aside, I will simply say that the decision process is not very often a straight line in a revision situation, and also that there is no such thing as a 100% successful orthopaedic procedure. Everything has a failure rate, including the revision itself, particularly for high level athletes. I was at a baseball course where Dr. Andrews was speaking, and he recommended not ever doing rotator cuff surgery on a major league pitcher. Why? Because only 1 of 8 he had done returned to the majors.

Reaction Score
These injuries require intensive rehab over a long duration to build stabilizing muscle strength to help support the compromised shoulder joint. Getting back mobility and having it feel ok is only half the battle. Generally, you want the surrounding muscle structures to be much stronger than they were before injury. Sounds like it was rushed with a view of hoping the shoulder wouldn't suffer another trauma.

Reaction Score
There's good odds a broken AG will be our best player next year, let that sink in...

I'd say the odds are much higher the best player on our team next year is a senior Jalen Adams

C

Chief00

Leaving all the above aside, I will simply say that the decision process is not very often a straight line in a revision situation, and also that there is no such thing as a 100% successful orthopaedic procedure. Everything has a failure rate, including the revision itself, particularly for high level athletes. I was at a baseball course where Dr. Andrews was speaking, and he recommended not ever doing rotator cuff surgery on a major league pitcher. Why? Because only 1 of 8 he had done returned to the majors.

Makes sense, to me the key is your comment about “high level athletes”. They are not returning from surgery to a desk job but rather high level stressful competition. The thresholds are much higher for that.

Reaction Score
At this point I just want him to graduate with a viable degree while playing 'some' basketball. Any and all court production would be a bonus to our team's success.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom