Gilbert out for season...again | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Gilbert out for season...again

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm sure he feels worse than we do, or at least most of us do, it's his life and his career and his dreams in play here

I believe some "fans" are happy, thinking this will give them a better chance to scream obscenities at Ollie during games. Others actually think he's nothing special and the team didn't perform better with him on the court. Not sure which is of them worse.

Wishing you all the best AG. Thanks for choosing UConn and hoping you can look back and laugh at all of this someday.

Reaction Score
Poor kid, hope he can come back and play at a high level again.

Does this give Ollie another pass? This was his guy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Best wishes to Gilbert for a speedy and full recovery. He deserves the chance to show what he can do when healthy. He’s had tough breaks.

As for UConn, we need to stick with him and have him stick with us. If he can become what we think he can be, he is critical to our future. If he’s really lucky, he will have a coach that knows how to run a decent offense.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Assuming that Gilbert won’t want to miss almost 3 straight years, and Wilson won’t want to miss 2 straight, I think even with a coaching change, they’d both be back next year. Not a bad time to transition coaches...

We lose KO, then we will lose Akinjo. We need that kid. Transition in coaching happens when a program is stable, not when we are trying to rebuild.

Reaction Score
We lose KO, then we will lose Akinjo. We need that kid. Transition in coaching happens when a program is stable, not when we are trying to rebuild.
When a good coach comes in and has a ton of PT to offer, a good recruit will come. Hopefully they would be able to keep Akinjo in house but there should be some talent that pops up.

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score
Why on earth would anyone want Sid to waste a year of eligibility for this?

Sid is probably not going to play 4 years anyways so he might as well play. Kids not jumping ship for pro careers and staying all 4 years is rare for players his caliber.

Reaction Score

The fate of the program does not hinge on a fringe-Top-100 recruit, no matter how underrated we think he might be.

It does, however, hinge on a coach's ability to run all aspects of a major program, which KO has failed to demonstrate.

Reaction Score
The fate of the program does not hinge on a fringe-Top-100 recruit, no matter how underrated we think he might be.

It does, however, hinge on a coach's ability to run all aspects of a major program, which KO has failed to demonstrate.
Don't know why so many fail to see this.

UConn_Top_Dog

Reaction Score

KO has never been a Head coach before UConn. He is young coach and is learning some valuable lessons. I think he has learned his lesson and will improve in areas he is lacking as a coach. Imo his future as a coach is promising and we are lucky to have him. Watch him become one of the best coaches in the game at some other school and then we will be kicking ourselves for letting him go. They say one does not appreciate something good until it's gone. Well I'm not willing to take the risk. Our credibility as a program does not rest on the last 2 or 3 years. We had some unfortunate things happen to us. We need to be patient and good things will happen.

Reaction Score
Sid is probably not going to play 4 years anyways so he might as well play. Kids not jumping ship for pro careers and staying all 4 years is rare for players his caliber.
His caliber? How good do you think he is? Rankings aren't the be all end all but he was ranked in the 50-75 range. How many kids in that range every year go to the NBA before exhausting all 4 years? I'd guess not that many. I'm not saying it isn't possible but I don't think most people are expecting him to come in here and be a 2 or 3 and done. I hope he's that good.

Napier and Lamb were ranked in that range and ended up being really good and Lamb ended up being a 2 and done. But I don't think anyone thought Lamb was a 2 and done when he came to UConn. I'd lower your expectations for Wilson.

pj

Reaction Score
KO has never been a Head coach before UConn. He is young coach and is learning some valuable lessons. I think he has learned his lesson and will improve in areas he is lacking as a coach. Imo his future as a coach is promising and we are lucky to have him. Watch him become one of the best coaches in the game at some other school and then we will be kicking ourselves for letting him go. They say one does not appreciate something good until it's gone. Well I'm not willing to take the risk. Our credibility as a program does not rest on the last 2 or 3 years. We had some unfortunate things happen to us. We need to be patient and good things will happen.

This is my view as well. He has some real strengths -- a coach who didn't have strengths couldn't have won a national championship in 2014 with a team with one future NBAer; and he couldn't recruit guys like James Akinjo to a weaker conference, across the country.

He needs to recognize his weaknesses and either repair them or assemble a group of assistant coaches that is strong in all his weak areas. Some things he can't delegate, such as emotional leadership of the team, and leading by example (hard work, persistence, emotional stability). But many things he can. He would probably benefit from having a strong ex-head coach like George Blaney as an assistant. And he needs to provide "tough love" to his players and get them to give 100% effort every play, especially when it comes to effort aspects of the game like defense, rebounding, screening, and loose balls; and to do the work off the court such as film study and strength and conditioning.

I think he's learning what it takes to be a coach, but hasn't gotten there yet. He has peeled off the top few layers of the onion though, replacing coaches that didn't fit (e.g. Miller) with ones that do (Chillious) and learning how to recruit (with Chill's help, recruiting has improved). It will take at least a few years to get the remaining aspects of head coaching down, but if he works hard, loves hard, and is humble and honest, he will figure it out.

Switching coaches, with the player losses that might entail, would also cost us a few years. So AD Benedict has to make a judgment about whether KO is learning fast enough, and whether he can bring in a top coach who can get us to the top faster. I think with the payoff that will come from sticking by KO and maintaining the "UConn family" tradition, it will be hard not to give KO more time.

C

Chief00

Chief.

It was his call to can Glen Miller and giving Miller his pink slip cost us MAL.

Let me just say it’s all in the execution - there’s ways to terminate employees without exposing your firm to unnecessary risk. One, recruits need to be babysat and two the departing employee should be given instructions not to sabotage anything directly or indirectly or else suffer very specific repercussions. None of this was done well.

Reaction Score

How many more years must we miss the tourney before we will have exercised enough patience? What do we need to see from him to know that he is improving?

Reaction Score
I know shoulders aren't the same thing as knees but this is starting to feel like the kid from Arizona who had to call it quits after a third ACL tear. Just have to hope he can play again. Real shame because he had moments where he looked damn good.

Oh well. If we have to do this another ten years to pay off 2011 and 2014 I'll take it.

Reaction Score
How many more years must we miss the tourney before we will have exercised enough patience? What do we need to see from him to know that he is improving?
Until the end of his contract would be enough for me. I'm worried he wont turn the corner because I too think the program is not being well run and it is his fault. BUT... I would never say the man should be fired! Be critical of him! just awful fans in my opinion say fire him. and I hope he can become the great coach that he wants to be.
Improving: For most of the KO haters it is all based on wins and wins only I would guess? For me I would like to see his players come back the next year as much better players.(off season injuries stalling this process but I don't think he has been able to do this as well as Calhoun has) Have a good plan to attack a zone, and a back up plan if that doesn't work. Be much more stingy with quality of play and staying in a game(Calhoun had the shortest hook ever maybe you don't have to be there but a happy medium) Have more than a motion and high pick, have a play for a shooter. And it always comes down to defense and he is letting is team play horrible defense. Fix it.

Reaction Score
KO has never been a Head coach before UConn. He is young coach and is learning some valuable lessons. I think he has learned his lesson and will improve in areas he is lacking as a coach.

LOL, this is SO 2015. Hell, maybe this is even valid in 2017. But in 2018? Sorry, but this is getting old. At some point you get rid of the guy because he either isn't who you thought he was or he is cursed.

Reaction Score
I just did some research on medical redshirts, technically known as medical hardship waiver.

To be eligible:
  • The student-athlete must suffer the injury during one of their four seasons of college competition or during the senior year of high school.
  • The injury must be incapacitating. That means it must be a season-ending injury.
  • The injury must occur prior to the start of the second half of the season.
  • The student-athlete must not have competed in more than 30% of the season or three contests, whichever is greater.
Alterique only played in six games this season, which is less than 30% of UConn's scheduled games. So it looks like he is eligible to obtain another medical redshirt

The one item you didn't list is that a player normally must complete his eligibility in five years, meaning only one medical redshirt is normal. Thus he will have to apply to the NCAA for a special waiver to play a 6th season. Having said that, since both of his missed years are due to injury, there is a good chance they would OK it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom