Gilbert, Carlton, Polley, Wilson, BAdams | The Boneyard

Gilbert, Carlton, Polley, Wilson, BAdams

Reaction Score
Dan Hurley hopes UConn’s future teams look a lot like No. 9 Houston
With that in mind, he had a meeting with the aforementioned five players — Gilbert, Carlton and Polley, all sophomores, and Wilson and Brendan Adams, both freshmen — on Monday, trying to reassure them that they’re not so much about the program’s past, but about its future.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley’s message for younger UConn men as No. 9 Houston comes to town: Don’t carry baggage - Hartford Courant
What Hurley wants to halt is any urge for young players to look up at all the championship banners, and then wallow in the current state of the program and lug that brick-filled, psychological suitcase into the games. UConn had its first two losing seasons in 30 years, prompting Hurley’s hire to replace Kevin Ollie last March, and is fighting to stay above .500 this season. He coached Wagner and Rhode Island through losing first seasons, before turning them around and making his name as a fixer of broken programs.

Last edited by a moderator:

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
I guess Whaley and Mamadou didn't catch the invite...?
It's so sad about Mamadou. Or "Mo" as Hurley calls him.
Could've been a really, really nice front court piece if not for extremely unfortunate health circumstances. Mo has the physical appearance of the type of player we've been dying to have and have been killed with by other teams in recent years.

Reaction Score
Could've been a really, really nice front court piece if not for extremely unfortunate health circumstances. Mo has the physical appearance of the type of player we've been dying to have and have been killed with by other teams in recent years.
It is sad about Mamadou. The previous regime seemed to have a penchant for recruiting players with preexisting injuries and that needs to stop.

Last edited:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Don't think it gets much more explicit.

Reaction Score
If you're Hurley saying that this team is the worst one you'll coach at UConn, and you still don't think you can play Whaley and Diarra this year, then I don't think much good would come from telling them they're a big part of the future. It's a touchy situation and probably a bit awkward, but there's no sense lying to them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

He's exactly what we need, just can't seem to stay on the floor due to injuries.

Reaction Score
I guess Whaley and Mamadou didn't catch the invite...?

I don't know about Mamadou and his knee but I have been an advocate of giving Whaley more playing time since last season when David O was getting inexplicable minutes and this season when that transfer from St. Johns was getting minutes. I like Whaley, I like his energy, his defense and his bounciness..plus he seems to go about everything the right way. This season must be hell for him. But we have to be honest: Whaley is not in Hurley's plans. Someone like Brendan Adams who doesn't get a lot of minutes and has not played well when given opportunities is still obviously part of Hurley's future plans. Whaley is not.

Reaction Score
If you're Hurley saying that this team is the worst one you'll coach at UConn, and you still don't think you can play Whaley and Diarra this year, then I don't think much good would come from telling them they're a big part of the future. It's a touchy situation and probably a bit awkward, but there's no sense lying to them.
We're not allowed to talk about it but everyone has known the deal for a while.

Reaction Score
I can't wait to see your future posts about James Bouknight.
So you're predicting a chronic & recurring injury for Bouknight like Diarra?

I think everyone feels bad about Diarra, he's had a full ride for 3 years and barely seen the court. He is clearly unable to contribute. If he sticks in some capacity 1 more year to graduate that's between him & Hurley.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Love mamadou. God his knees must be so bad if he can’t even get in for a few mins. We absolutely cannot catch a break anywhere(injuries, transfers , Ollie etc...) All I kno is the rest of this league is so beatable and they re so lucky we haven’t put the pieces together yet cuz when we do we ll be running a train on this conference.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
So you're predicting a chronic injury for Bouknight?

I think everyone feels bad about Diarra, he's had a full ride for 3 years and barely seen the court. He is clearly unable to contribute now or maybe ever.

If he sticks around in some capacity 1 more year to graduate that's between him & Hurley.

No, I'm predicting that @buddy's complaints about players with injury histories will not subside anytime soon.

Friendship

Filled With My Husky Friends
Reaction Score
Love mamadou. God his knees must be so bad if he can’t even get in for a few mins. We absolutely cannot catch a break anywhere(injuries, transfers , Ollie etc...) All I kno is the rest of this league is so beatable and they re so lucky we haven’t put the pieces together yet cuz when we do we ll be running a train on this conference.

I feel like we've been saying this for 5 years now?

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I don't know about Mamadou and his knee but I have been an advocate of giving Whaley more playing time since last season when David O was getting inexplicable minutes and this season when that transfer from St. Johns was getting minutes. I like Whaley, I like his energy, his defense and his bounciness..plus he seems to go about everything the right way. This season must be hell for him. But we have to be honest: Whaley is not in Hurley's plans. Someone like Brendan Adams who doesn't get a lot of minutes and has not played well when given opportunities is still obviously part of Hurley's future plans. Whaley is not.

Yeah. This makes me sad.

Im a Whaley fan. I get the offense isn’t there. But man he is absolutely the best defender on the team. His development will be something I’ll be watching for sure.

Reaction Score
No, I'm predicting that @buddy's complaints about players with injury histories will not subside anytime soon.
Yeah, haven't followed buddy much but Diarra situation has been really unfortunate & hope doesn't happen again. Obviously it's worse for him than us but at some point have to move on.

Reaction Score
Yeah. This makes me sad.

Im a Whaley fan. I get the offense isn’t there. But man he is absolutely the best defender on the team. His development will be something I’ll be watching for sure.

If he's the best defender why can't he play defense?

Reaction Score
such a mystery why won’t whalley get any run at all? Almost get the feeling hurley wud rather put walk ins in there over him. Strange Is he really THAT bad? Maybe I’m missing something when gets in there. He seems active and long. I kno he has no offense but god, he’s not THAT bad.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Yeah. This makes me sad.

He is absolutely not the best defender on the team. Just because defense is one of his "strengths" doesn't mean he's anywhere near the best defender on the team.

Vital, Gilbert and Yakwe are better defenders. Sid is developing rapidly into a very good defender and someone you cannot get a shot off around, once he shakes off the dumb freshman fouls.

Reaction Score
such a mystery why won’t whalley get any run at all? Almost get the feeling hurley wud rather put walk ins in there over him. Strange Is he really THAT bad? Maybe I’m missing something when gets in there. He seems active and long. I kno he has no offense but god, he’s not THAT bad.
I don't think it's really a mystery. He's not good enough to play on the type of UConn team that we want to have. And he doesn't flash the potential to get to that point

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom