Gift for JC - How Much Are You Talking? | The Boneyard

Gift for JC - How Much Are You Talking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
It's kind of impossible to have an idea what we can do if we don't know what we're talking about in terms of $$$. "I'm in" is all good and such, but doesn't give an idea. So let's figure out what "I'm in" means.

How much are you in for? I'll keep track with what people say in this thread.

For the record, although it's really not what they are worth if you asked me 26 years ago, I'm in for $100 per championship - $300.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I suggest that people have the option of sending you a private message to tell you what they are able to give. I haven't done this in a long time, but I think that if we click on your handle under your avatar, then click on "Start a conversation," we can send you a message that would be more private. Or not. Do what each is comfortable with.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
That's fine - I can keep track of both. You realize I am going to hold you to it and beat you with Fishy's ballsac if you don't actually come through.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
It might be a Cart before the Horse thing- but some posters can't determine I'm in, or be motivated $$ wise until thay have a general idea of what they are giving towards? If it's a 10,000 billboard, I might reach deeper in my wallet vs let's say a floral arrangement.

IMO, based on the feedback, so far our desired items might be a bit lofty. BUT say for example its a Bronze Plaque, with wording and a pic. Pretend we garner an approved space to display it. Then we get a quote for (Im making this up) $9,500. You have a 9,500 thermometer on the site to show us inching towards the goal. You tell people, if we fall short- the plan B is donating or doing XXX.

I'd suggest, at this point forming a 3 person committee to work the project. You Need research on costs, sites, may need to speak with the Mayor, school, and even JC himself. Select the doable A & B option, then start a Drive while interest on this board is still HOT.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I love the Gift concept & feel the Original Poster- Deepster should have the first right of refusal to be involved with the decision/research committee- or even put a Trustworthy team together himself. The board will need people approved to speak on it's behalf, that have time for what might be a 6 month job.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
It's a chicken and egg thing. We can't begin to tell what we can reach for if we don't know what we're working with. If you or anyone wants to let me know you'll give different amounts based on what we're doing, that's fine, just let me know. However, I would imagine as this is money people didn't plan or expect to spend, the amount is going to be something they can afford and wouldn't change much.

As DogBreath indicated, if you are more comfortable sending me a private message, that's fine. I can track both.

Reaction Score
Forget the boillboard. It'll be grafeettied before the week is done.

Reaction Score
That's fine - I can keep track of both. You realize I am going to hold you to it and beat you with Fishy's ballsac if you don't actually come through.

So let me get this straight: If I don't come through, you will castrate Fishy? :)

Put me down for $300. And as tempting as it is, I will come through. :)

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Okay, what is the practical alternative to a billboard? A billboard may cost too much, but that depends on people committing to the cause now or not. What would be a do-able alternative? If 200 people contributed an average of $50, that is $10,000.00. Maybe 100 people contributing an average of $100.00 is more realistically possible with some going in for more.

Maybe we should organize a parade to honor Jim Calhoun?

I think a public show of appreciation on a billboard would be a nice tribute if done well.

If people were really ready to be "in," I hope that they are committing now so that realistic options could be considered.

Reaction Score
I am in.. for all of the above..Jim dedicated most of his life to us and our school.. I think he deserves it.. like the parade, medical center contribution etc... count me in

Reaction Score
Okay, what is the practical alternative to a billboard? A billboard may cost too much, but that depends on people committing to the cause now or not. What would be a do-able alternative? If 200 people contributed an average of $50, that is $10,000.00. Maybe 100 people contributing an average of $100.00 is more realistically possible with some going in for more.

Maybe we should organize a parade to honor Jim Calhoun?

I think a public show of appreciation on a billboard would be a nice tribute if done well.

If people were really ready to be "in," I hope that they are committing now so that realistic options could be considered.

100 for 100, 200 for 50, or whatever we can leave it up to the individuals.......but let's all get in and vote on billboard.....and as stated above Deep needs to be a big part if he cares to!!

Reaction Score
I'm in for $300 as well, but we definitely need to have some sort of committee to get us all organized. Deep getting first dibs of course depending on how involved he wants to be. And then determine whose backyard, shoebox or whatever where the money will be sent/stored.

Reaction Score
It might be a Cart before the Horse thing

It absolutely is. I'm in for a billboard, once I have an idea what it will cost. Money doesn't grow on trees. I'm not committing a set amount until I know what it's for.

Reaction Score
It's a long shot, but what if we organized a campaign to name the Men's Basketball Director of Administration Office for $250k for the new basketball facility. :)

I'd be in for $250 bucks.

Reaction Score
I'm fine with heading up a committee. I have been out of town for the last few days and just got back. I'll go through the emails and jot down some folks I think have shown the right interest and the potential of actually making decisions and getting things done. Then I'll ask them if they'd like to take part. It might be me and another person or ten of us based on what I find.

In thinking about it more and more, I actually don't like the billboard idea. I do think it's like sending flowers to someone. Nice to look at once but in the trash and out of mind a few days later.

Reaction Score
I'm fine with heading up a committee. I have been out of town for the last few days and just got back. I'll go through the emails and jot down some folks I think have shown the right interest and the potential of actually making decisions and getting things done. Then I'll ask them if they'd like to take part. It might be me and another person or ten of us based on what I find.

In thinking about it more and more, I actually don't like the billboard idea. I do think it's like sending flowers to someone. Nice to look at once but in the trash and out of mind a few days later.
However, I think the statue idea is something that should come from the university. I think it's beyond our scope.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score

I thinking of this from JC's point of view and from the point of view that the state politicos will do the statue, billboard, naming of streets and so on type of things. In my opinion JC would be most flattered by The Boneyard giving a donation to one of his charities. That would move him the most. I'm in BTW.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score

You come up with the ideas - I'll keep the books and update the totals. I think a billboard is totally out of reach so it's not worth worrying about.

Reaction Score
Kickstarter is the way to go or any other crowd sourcing funding site.

Reaction Score
Glad to answer questions about giving options at the Basketball Development Center or UConn Health Center. Just would prefer that the group of interested fans / donors here designate one or two people to speak for the group in this crowdsourcing effort. We've had a few people write who obviously saw previous posts and wrote us, expressing an interest in giving to what the group decides. That's great, and we love to hear from anyone who wishes to honor Coach, but especially if you're banding together, it's much easier for one or two people to take the lead and translate the group's desires with what may be possible philanthropically. Hopefully that makes sense.

Easiest e-mail is campaign@foundation.uconn.edu.

Thanks!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I'm in for $250 for whatever the unwashed masses decide to do.

My own opinion, which should ordinarily replace your own as soon as you read it, is that whatever we do should have some benefit to someone. Scholarship, donation to the heart center, something in JC's home town, something else that the Foundation suggests...basically a donation to something that breathes.

A statue is nice and a plaque is nice, but at the end of the day, it's just something else that needs to be dusted.

Now, the peeps who are working on this kinda need to know what they're working with or they are just spinning their wheels.

It's great to say "I'm in", but if you're really in, you gotta let them know...either post in this thread or send jleves a PM and give him the information. Whatever you're most comfortable with - just get to it as soon as possible.

Reaction Score
You come up with the ideas - I'll keep the books and update the totals. I think a billboard is totally out of reach so it's not worth worrying about.

Can it be something that can be added into the new practice facility as a representation of the fan base honoring coach? A publicly shared fan tribute to Jim? It just seems good timing to pay tribute to Jim and that there is a new facility being built to possible hold it, which I don't think will have any fan mementos. And where would basketball be without even one fan?

This may be farfetched but I'm thinking a custom printed white UConn Jersey, shorts/top, sneakers, towel, basketball, etc.. (the whole get-up) with fan signatures and/or well wishes, custom imprinted on them. And the name on the back is 'FAN' the number of course '1'. If it's a display you would need 2 jerseys front/back. We could complete a form and submit with our donation. If done right it could be worthy of presentation, long lasting and of course viewable by anyone, unless Jim takes it home.

Just a thought.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
To everyone, but to Deepster as committee chair in particular...

Here's the thing, people need something tangible to visualize in order to get this done. This whole "maybe it's a billboard, maybe it's a statue, maybe it's a scholarship" thing won't get it done. So someone got to make a decision and move forward, and it's got to be soon as every day we wait, people, who would otherwise have given, will fall by the wayside. There needs a tangible goal with a specific dollar figure attached to it and a specific delivery date (the date creates urgency). If we want to do a major funding campaign, that's the way to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom