Gerritt Cole | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Gerritt Cole

Reaction Score
Is that accurate? It's my understanding 4 of the last 5 full seasons in MLB have the largest homerun totals in the history of baseball.
Home runs are definitely up over the past few years, but I agree with his overall point. Pitchers are just way too good right now. I don't even think it's that players are selling out for HRs outside of a few, they're just completely overmatched

Reaction Score
Is that accurate? It's my understanding 4 of the last 5 full seasons in MLB have the largest homerun totals in the history of baseball.

I mean homeruns are down from 5 years ago. We are seeing historically low batting averages and historically dominant pitching. I think chalking that up to "teams are emphasizing homeruns" misses the mark. It seems hard to deny that pitchers are exponentially more overpowering than they were 40 years ago.

Reaction Score
No one more sanctimonious then a Yankee fan. They still don't think Reggie Jackson stuck his ass out on purpose.
When I woke up this morning, I would've never thought that I'd be reading about Mr. October's backside today. What a world.

Reaction Score
I mean homeruns are down from 5 years ago. We are seeing historically low batting averages and historically dominant pitching. I think chalking that up to "teams are emphasizing homeruns" misses the mark. It seems hard to deny that pitchers are exponentially more overpowering than they were 40 years ago.
I kind of like it, things got so out of whack for so long with no names hitting 30-40 homeruns, good pitchers were being taken to the woodshed. It's like how out of whack the NFL is with passing and the NBA is with three pointers. There's clearly a very recent swing the other way towards pitching. The three major sports all seem to have major problem with balance nowadays that need to be addressed.

Reaction Score
To quantify, this has been the trend and the 2021 pace is currently 5571. The 2020 total over a full season would have been 6621 so its looking like 2 straight years of a decline.

1FB694C2-19B8-4924-996E-32F2EA83B031.jpeg

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It seems hard to deny that pitchers are exponentially more overpowering than they were 40 years ago.
Mostly, because they don't have to throw 9 innings anymore I'm thinking.

Reaction Score
Analytics has effected the game too. No one steals bases anymore aside from maybe PRs I can’t stand the strategy of not trying to steal when you have one of your sluggers up because you take the bat out of his hand, so what improve you odds to get a run, they walk him so what put pressure on the pitcher. The Yankees never steal when Judge is up at the plate (it could be Gardner on 1st) and it drives me nuts

Reaction Score
Analytics has effected the game too. No one steals bases anymore aside from maybe PRs I can’t stand the strategy of not trying to steal when you have one of your sluggers up because you take the bat out of his hand, so what improve you odds to get a run, they walk him so what put pressure on the pitcher. The Yankees never steal when Judge is up at the plate (it could be Gardner on 1st) and it drives me nuts
Does it though? A successful steal would, but what about the times where the runner is thrown out? Is the ROI worth the risk? I’m curious what the analytics say as I truly don’t know.

Reaction Score
I don’t advocate cheating I know it has always gone on and will continue too. I was joking about bringing back steroids btw. The Astros level of cheating is on a whole other level.
Steroids never left.

Reaction Score
Does it though? A successful steal would, but what about the times where the runner is thrown out? Is the ROI worth the risk? I’m curious what the analytics say as I truly don’t know.
I haven't looked recently but I believe the cutoff is somewhere around a 75-80% success rate for SBs to be positive value

Reaction Score
I haven't looked recently but I believe the cutoff is somewhere around a 75-80% success rate for SBs to be positive value
Interesting. I’m sure that teams are analyzing all kinds of things to inform these decisions. Pitcher’s time to plate, catcher’s pop time, etc.

I love steal attempts personally. They’re exciting plays. But I understand why they’d be down if the calculus doesn’t justify them.

Reaction Score

Thats my point analtycis has micro managed everything, to the point where teams are afraid to take a risk. You have a fast guy in your lineup who can steal bases you should be able to steal a base whenever you want doesn't matter who is up at the plate.

You know sometimes I often wonder why teams dont steal 3rd more often for instance you have a lefty on the mound and a righty batter up (who is to the left of the catcher) throwing off the catchers vision a little that extra second makes all the difference.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I never had a problem with stealing signs, even when Bobby Thompson did it. Have better signs.

Stealing signs from 3rd base coaches is part of the game, from a CF camera like the Sox and Astro's this isn't even in the same realm of baseball cheating. I hope you're kidding seriously!

Reaction Score
This pitching stuff is just as performance altering as steroids were. The only difference is putting something in your body compared to on your body.
Take a look at batting averages and how they plummet as the spin rates get higher. Its in a lot of these articles now.
I give credit for baseball trying to end it and suspect offensive numbers will start to rise significantly in the next 2-3 weeks...between this and the hot weather

I agree on making it stop, it is an advantage. But it's not at all the same as steroids from what I see but who's to know. But for me hitters just aren't that good any more because of their philosophy and that won't change if teams fire people like Chili Davis who actually gets it. I mean there's no doubt if the spin rate numbers are what they're saying the advantage has hurt hitting but not as much as we're seeing. It's because hitters just suck. It's not hurting the Sox good hitters because they have a nice philosophy going to the plate, and more level swing plain, especially with 2 strikes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
When I woke up this morning, I would've never thought that I'd be reading about Mr. October's backside today. What a world.

No huh LOL. Let's remember the time ARod flipped the ball out of the first baseman glove too but not the time Dustin Pedroia did LOL. Quite the world huh?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Yeah I don't think this is right. Homeruns are down over the past half decade. Velocity is way up. In the 70s guys weren't throwing 90 mph sliders on the black. the percentage of pitchers hitting high 90s is through the roof compared to prior generations.
What?

The MLB almost hit 7,000 HRs in 2019. That’s the most hit in one year of all time. The AL broke its HR record in 2017, 2018, and again in 2019. The steroid era was seeing 3,000 to 5,500 HRs per year. Currently we’re blowing those numbers away, they aren’t down.

Higher pitch speed = higher possible exit velocity.

Reaction Score
That’s the range I’ve seen at the macro level as well. I wonder what that looks like a click down. Something I’ve noticed a little bit recently is going on an 0-2 or 1-2 count with 2 outs. I feel like the success rate wouldn’t need to be as high to be worth it.

Reaction Score
Stealing signs from 3rd base coaches is part of the game, from a CF camera like the Sox and Astro's this isn't even in the same realm of baseball cheating. I hope you're kidding seriously!

Reaction Score
Nice try no comparison except to you. Everyone knows that. Live matters!

Let’s take the air out of this thread ;)

Reaction Score
In this case I'm not so sure its jealousy of notoriety instead of just trying to compete at the highest level with their peers. However, Bauer really does not like Cole so it's possible in his case it's out of disdain for Cole.

For the Bonds part I'm not sure... He was in the midst of 7 straight years with an OPS over 1000 and (partly because he was a jerk and west coast bias) all of the notoriety was on Griffey and then McGwire and Sosa, two guys who were not in the same stratosphere talent wise. I can't speak for Bonds, obviously, but I believe the Sosa and McGwire saving baseball narrative pissed him off immensely and he decided to use the same "advantage" to become essentially, a video game player.

For perspective, the only other guys who I found with at least 7 consecutive OPS years over 1000 (and this before Bonds is believed to start juicing) are Ruth, Gehrig, Williams, and Hank Greenberg. Bonds was a surly but he was the best player of the 90s and never really got the pub he deserved.

Reaction Score
So Gerritt Cole just essentially admitted to cheating. Where is the outrage from all the Yankee fans who crucified the Astros and the Red Sox for stealing signs?? (Which by the way the Yankees were doing too). Same group that love hopping on Manny and Big Papi but are silent about Giambi, Clemens and AFraud. They are all cheating. Some get caught some don’t. Some are more obvious than others. I actually give Cole credit for not blatantly lying like all the rest.
I overstand your concerns....The difference you're drawing is well said but not understood. First, Cole just arrived in NY. I don't think that most Yankee fans have come to fully accept him as a Yankee yet. So, that maybe one reason the outrage has been virtually 'non-existent'. Secondly, it's understandable that people tend to defend their turf even it's as dirty or dirtier than someone else's. Now, getting to the steroids....steroids were in the league at least back to the late '70's, and when Jose Conseco tried to tell everyone no one wanted to hear it. Baseball, the Multi-billion dollar enterprise most certainly didn't want to their cash cow destroyed, so it seems that they went after the messenger instead investigating the people he pointed out and the problem. Now, cheating is cheating....but there are differences in WHY someone cheats. I'm told that Barry Bonds never used any of that stuff, but seeing the kind of media frenzy McGuire and Sosa created and the money they made, it made it easy for him to try to enhance his already solidified Hall of Fame Numbers by trying the stuff. Notice, no one criticizes these two...in fact McGuire is still in the league as a coach. If Baseball was TRULY A SPORT....and NOT ENTERTAINMENT EVERY VIOLATOR would have been banned for life from the league and all of their records (or records from the point of use) would be expunged. Any awards rewarded would be rescinded. All teams wins would be forfeited, including playoffs and World Series.....Now, Roger used it late in his career, as did Big Papi and Manny. A-Rod was fighting it and would have won, but it seems that he made a deal with the league and he was allowed to retire with his money and promises of post retirement jobs. Remember, the person who extracted A-Rod's name from the lists of names said that there were MANY names, but he only made A-Rod's public.
Lastly, Sports as we grew up believing it to be.....is no longer. Today, Sports is BIG BUSINESS and therefore it seems that those in power will do all they can to protect the images of their sport. This may be the reason that the NFL Commissioner said that he could not find any evidence of the New Patriots spying on other teams when it was clear that they had. Then, instead of making all the video tapes available to the media to be scrutinized he said he had them destroyed....well, if there was nothing incriminating on them, why destroy them? Also, notice: He didn't say that there was no incriminating evidence. He said "HE" didn't see any....which could mean that he had his staff only show him the tapes that were clean....or to fast forward past the incriminating parts. We can't infer from what he said that he meant what we think he meant.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Nice try Red Sox/Astros fans.
Nobody buys your sanctimonious over-reaction. It's not going to distract anyone from what your teams did.
Pitchers have been altering the baseball with foreign substances (or an emery board) since the dawn of time. The Hall of Fame is full of pitchers who did this. Heck, there was probably some pine tar on the rock that David slung at Goliath. It is in no way comparable to taking steroids to the point that your actual head gets bigger or using tv cameras in the outfield to systematically steal signs.

Alex Rodriguez Alex Rodriguez Alex Rodriguez

If you say it 3 times, the stupid goes away.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom