Georgetown Postgame Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Right. Talked about this before to the consternation of several BYers. She scares me when she has the ball on the high post and is looking to pass. She frequently misses the open cutter who are invariably Azzi and CD and makes bad judgment passes. She also makes poor plays at times when she gets the ball on the low post. She is a mechanical as opposed to fluid basketball player and she has to have everything working for her in a given game to play really well.

Reaction Score
Still it’s going to be tough for Geno to juggle 9’players. Let the best play. There will be some unhappy players though

Reaction Score
How can you call it a balanced attack when our three 'bigs' get only 9 out of 58 shots against a smaller team .. this is BAD for chemistry!
That's also a product of an undersized team packing the paint and forcing outside shots. It was Gtown's only hope to dare UConn to take 3s and see if they make them. Otherwise the down low shots would be money. I'm glad the bigs knew it and often passed out of those double teams.

Reaction Score
I thought there was some very unselfish play today and I also thought there were times where shots were forced and the extra pass was not made. The latter can be a problem at the Elite 8 and FF level. I also thought there was much more sloppiness today with the ball than against Xavier. I still don't like the bigs handling the ball and making guard decisions with the ball from the high post. It causes turnovers and impedes the movement of the offense. Liv and Dorka are better than AE at it. She holds the ball too long at times and frequently misses an open cutter.

We are not a great half court set offensive team so transition is very important. I think the ball has to go to CD and Azzi more in transition or at the early stages of the half court offense such as on their cuts or for pull ups. They are our best shooters from outside but also have textbook jumpers and strong drive moves with both hands. Small ball was so effective today not just because of the trapping defense and the steals but also because everyone has guard skills at passing. That one fast break from Dorka rebounding and passing to Evina and then diagonally to Nika and then diagonally with a partial no look to AE for the score was vintage UCONN.

Reaction Score
I loved seeing 3 6'5" players in the game together near the end. Wanted Geno to put Dorka back in for a couple plays just to say we had 4 of them in together :D. I thought Liv seemed a bit off today. Fumbled quite a few. Not being smiley even in a blowout. Just had that lack of sleep look. Finally come on guys its much harder to keep focus during a blow out than against a quality team. I'd like to see focus at all times but these are not players of our age - they are just barely not teenagers (well most). It will be OK. Geno has his finger on it for sure.

Reaction Score
Nika Muhl wins the battle of the Croatians!
Nika 11 points three rebounds and 4 assists and 6 steals
Hoya Croatian # 13 Anita Kelava, 10 minutes in the fourth quarter
6 points one rebound, one steal
Both from Zagreb. Anita is 6 ' 3" and 24 years of age. She
was also on the Croatian National Team ( about 3- 4 years ago, 2017? )
On to Marquette!!

Reaction Score
We won. End of story.

Don’t count on seeing Paige before the BE Tourney or the NCAA tourney, if that’s possible. Shooting hoops and limited practice time is way different than a game.

The current squad members may be it. And they’ll do ok.

Reaction Score
Two things I forgot to mention. CW was really on from the 3 today and I felt bad for her because 2 of hers were waived off when someone did a no-no somewhere. Also remember Wednesday's game is super important as it give UConn 25 games and makes them eligible for the NCAAT. WOO.

Reaction Score
With all these players coming back from injury, they need to reestablish chemistry. You're going to have turnovers until everyone settles in again.
My thoughts exactly. Well put.

Reaction Score
That's also a product of an undersized team packing the paint and forcing outside shots. It was Gtown's only hope to dare UConn to take 3s and see if they make them. Otherwise the down low shots would be money. I'm glad the bigs knew it and often passed out of those double teams.
Good point if that were truly the case.

Reaction Score
An overall good game and the score was what we would have expected. Everyone played pretty well. 21 turnovers was more than absolutely necessary. G'town had too many threes that weren't contested. For now I'm still willing to give the benefit of the doubt and assume the team is still in the process of getting used to playing the different combinations on the floor.

Didn't DeBerry look good during her minutes? Her shooting stroke is really smooth, she made some nice passes and she looked calm and collected. And Paith made her lay in. Both are on track to be of real help next year. DeBerry may well be a big time player sooner than later.

Reaction Score
Right. Talked about this before to the consternation of several BYers. She scares me when she has the ball on the high post and is looking to pass. She frequently misses the open cutter who are invariably Azzi and CD and makes bad judgment passes. She also makes poor plays at times when she gets the ball on the low post. She is a mechanical as opposed to fluid basketball player and she has to have everything working for her in a given game to play really well.
Aaliyah shouldn't be positioned at the high post. This is an error in strategy if Geno is utilizing her there. She is best suited down low. Dorka is much better at the high post.

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the Georgetown game:
  • UConn came out pressuring the ball to force the tempo of the game. Nika was her typical annoying self with 5 steals in the first half. The Hoyas hung around for a while, but UConn picked up the pace with about 5 minutes left in the half going on a 19-2 run and it was all over except for the second half.
  • I love that Azzi appears to have adopted Caroline’s philosophy to just keep on shooting until they go in. After missing her first 3 shots from the arc, you just knew the 4th was going down. It wasn’t a typical Azzi shooting game, but she continues to demonstrate that she is a complete basketball player who’s understanding of the game reminds me of another freshman who played for UConn last season.
  • Georgetown turns the ball over a lot. UConn’s defense today was relentless. That’s a bad combination for the Hoyas which resulted in the Huskies forcing 30 turnovers, including 21 steals.
  • Christyn has really put together a string of solid games for UConn. Her “ankle-breaking” crossover dribble and layup in the 3rd quarter was a thing of beauty.
  • A little sloppy at times today by the Huskies, but it’s hard to argue with a 41-point victory.
  • Amari once again showing that 3-pt stroke that gets UConn fans just a little bit excited about the future.
Nice balanced commentary. I liked the words and comparisons on AZZI/Paige and the good words for Amari... Thanks

Reaction Score
Oops! Now we know you haven't been watching. I guess you just read stat sheets, which don't tell you that much.
Oh well, I guess I'm just excited about nothing. Darn, I've watched every minute of every game. She's a dynamic shooter of the basketball. 2nd to Steph? Shooters miss shots and hopefully they keep shooting.
As I have said before, "Bring your game, not your name!"
If you're missing shots - 0 for 7, 1 for 7 - "keep shooting" doesn't sound very logical nor team oriented, eh?
And yes, I've been watching [her poor shooting games]

Reaction Score
Ono never was much of a jumper, but today she never got very high off the floor. Her groin strain is really limiting her vertical leap

Reaction Score
I'm not writing anything you don't know--Some players play great against certain type of teams than others. AE, is one of favorites. Caroline is one of my favorites (look at my Avatar). I wonder if it's concentration, because AE can be extremely good, or physical?? However, aren't we lucky AE is on Uconn W CBB team??

Reaction Score
Aaliyah shouldn't be positioned at the high post. This is an error in strategy if Geno is utilizing her there. She is best suited down low. Dorka is much better at the high post.
Exactly. However, when it is Dorka and Aaliyah in there, both go to the high post. Hence, the slow down, hesitation, bad passes, lack of movement. I would rather see Caroline there. She is a threat everywhere.

Reaction Score
the bigs is the most concerning part in this game, Dorka was a complete no show 1st half. Olivia is not 100%, I would not be playing her until sr day. There's no way she is playing at full strength. Edwards foul trouble seems to be a routine. Consistency needs to be the key to beat those teams with height advantages.

Reaction Score

Didn't DeBerry look good during her minutes? Her shooting stroke is really smooth, she made some nice passes and she looked calm and collected. And Paith made her lay in. Both are on track to be of real help next year. DeBerry may well be a big time player sooner than later.

Interesting, such disparate opinions.

The latter for me. She seems a smart player, 1 move ahead. She appears to know where she's passing before she receives, shoots with ease and purpose.

Tipped in a rebound off a missed shot with her fingertips without catching the ball (though it didn't count as she was fouled on the prior miss). Not the first time we've seen her catch high, straight up without moving it down at all. Set a great, proper, flat screen at the high post, anticipating the player rotation from the wing. A number of UConn's screens are either moving, are ineffective with the screener rotating before the cutter is clear.

Seems a smooth, graceful athlete, which sometimes can be misleading in terms of perceived effort. For me, I enjoy her time on the floor - hope its a trend!

Reaction Score
This is just a guess, but when Paige comes back she may be the ninth option. With six guards who have to play, we are going to see a lot of four guard sets.

Reaction Score
You guys need to readjust your mindset. The Big East is a physical league and always has been. And the Huskies give as good as they get.
I totally agree. I also worry about different referees in the Big Dance who will not allow as much physicality as we are used to. It has plagued the men's league in the NCAAs for years. One notable exception in the men's league is Villanova, who foul rarely even in league play.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom