Geno says “Everything is in a state of flux” | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno says “Everything is in a state of flux”

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agree with the BY that we’ve heard this song just about every preseason from Geno, with the possible exceptions of Sue’s senior season and Stewie’s senior season, when even Geno couldn’t talk down his two most talented and experienced teams.

Most good coaches try to lower expectations, take pressure of the team and maybe surprise a few tough opponents early in the season. On the other hand, there was HW who, just about every season, talked about some successful new approach during the off-season with her LV’s working harder than ever leading to great expectations throughout VolNation, usually followed by a season of inconsistency, unexplainable losses, players being thrown under the bus by their HC and an early flame-out in the Big Dance.

Managing expectations is a big part of what coaches do. Geno does it as well as anyone. The former LV HC wasn’t very good at it.

Reaction Score
The problem is Geno and CD have done this so adroitly over the years that we expect nothing less of them or from them. Is that fair? Of course not, but we do know he will succeed and make it look easy. That is really the art of being great, making it look so easy to do and to do so often, that any of us feel we could do it or frustrated when is does not occur, completely unaware of how truly hard it is!
But at least we don’t have high expectations...:rolleyes:
This is so true. I was reading some article and it was trying to justify not having UCONN in the top 5 (!) of their preseason poll and they said “well UConn hasn’t won a championship in 3 years.” Yeah just like all teams not named South Carolina, Notre Dame, and Baylor. UConn is held at standards higher than any other college program.

Reaction Score
“You watch practice, and we’ll go through stretches where I’ll be like, ‘Damn, this looks really, really good,’” Auriemma said. “And then we’ll go through a half an hour where I don’t think we can beat anybody. I think it’s going to be a lot of that until we get into after January.”

Oh boy. Glad we have the chat room for game threads.

I am so looking forward to the start of the season. As many have commented, even Geno’s rebuilding years offer the chance to national champs. We truly are spoiled by that. I think of all the programs that are simply hoping for a winning season. Someone commented that they hope for no major injuries. I’m right there. I hope for a season of great potential and no mayor injuries.

Reaction Score
Again, as I do every season have 1 wish/hope for the upcoming season, and that is no major injuries or sickness, then let the pieces fall where they may!
The parts to the puzzle are in the bag they just need all to benefit from the coaching staff's knowledge!
If we're healthy their is a possibility of great things happening!
Coach: Thanks for being there and supporting me through by BAD times this spring and summer. You made recovery easier-(obviously it will never be done. You are the Friend in need and in deed. God bless you thanks.
Having said that, I agree with all you wrote. I believe in this team more than many since Tuck, Moriah, Stewart.

Reaction Score
Coach: Thanks for being there and supporting me through by BAD times this spring and summer. You made recovery easier-(obviously it will never be done. You are the Friend in need and in deed. God bless you thanks.
Having said that, I agree with all you wrote. I believe in this team more than many since Tuck, Moriah, Stewart.

Broadway Va- - -Thank you for the kind words! It's my pleasure! I know what you're going through as I've been there myself! And you've become an important buffer in my life also!
When you're dealing with serious health issues you need as much support as you can get!
This group of players have the ability to do some wonderful things as long as they're healthy!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Agree with the BY that we’ve heard this song just about every preseason from Geno, with the possible exceptions of Sue’s senior season and Stewie’s senior season, when even Geno couldn’t talk down his two most talented and experienced teams.

Most good coaches try to lower expectations, take pressure of the team and maybe surprise a few tough opponents early in the season. On the other hand, there was HW who, just about every season, talked about some successful new approach during the off-season with her LV’s working harder than ever leading to great expectations throughout VolNation, usually followed by a season of inconsistency, unexplainable losses, players being thrown under the bus by their HC and an early flame-out in the Big Dance.

Managing expectations is a big part of what coaches do. Geno does it as well as anyone. The former LV HC wasn’t very good at it.

It’s called “coach speak”, and every coach does it to a certain degree.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
The polish sniper is going to be seen as a future star by March. I cannot wait. This isn’t the best team Geno’s had, but this should be a fun ride.

You sir are looking through the same pair of glasses that I am. Couldn’t agree more. She’ll have a breakout game THIS season that will raise some eyebrows around the league.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
You sir are looking through the same pair of glasses that I am. Couldn’t agree more. She’ll have a breakout game THIS season that will raise some eyebrows around the league.

Anyone who had her experience playing against professional adults is going to have an advantage playing against 18 and 19 year olds.

same reason (albeit different circumstances) to be excited about Edwards In 2020 Who held her own against some of the best professional posts in the world.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
For argument's sake, a hypothetical if you will, nothing to do with reality of course, but let's assume I have a bartender...

If you're looking for me, I'll be at Archie Moore's.
Watchout for the Mongoose. I bet he still packs a punch.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I don't disagree at all with people who think Aubrey or Anna will have breakout games. If Evina is not available, IMHO the 5th starter will be one of those 2. But the challenge will be in how quickly they can pick up the UCONN way of playing offense and defense. IMHO defense is easier cuz it's mostly about effort.

Offense, on the other hand, is based on motion offense, moving without the ball, knowing where teammates are going, and not only staying out of their way, but moving to the right places for them. Even the great Maya Moore was a mess running aimlessly around her freshman season. Anna might have an advantage given how fluid many European teams play offense. We will see soon enough! :)

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I don't disagree at all with people who think Aubrey or Anna will have breakout games. If Evina is not available, IMHO the 5th starter will be one of those 2. But the challenge will be in how quickly they can pick up the UCONN way of playing offense and defense. IMHO defense is easier cuz it's mostly about effort.

Offense, on the other hand, is based on motion offense, moving without the ball, knowing where teammates are going, and not only staying out of their way, but moving to the right places for them. Even the great Maya Moore was a mess running aimlessly around her freshman season. Anna might have an advantage given how fluid many European teams play offense. We will see soon enough! :)
Maya may have been a mess running around aimlessly, but the ball found its way to her and very soon thereafter was in the basket. She was arguably the best freshman in history.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
The polish sniper is going to be seen as a future star by March. I cannot wait. This isn’t the best team Geno’s had, but this should be a fun ride.
Anna comes from Poland, which puts her under the radar, because most folks follow only U.S. prep players. I expect her to surprise the heck out of the competition.

Reaction Score

I have to disagree with that. Actually I think Geno would too. He has said quite a few times something like.........getting players to play offense is easy because everyone wants to score. Getting them to play defense is work.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I have to disagree with that. Actually I think Geno would too. He has said quite a few times something like....getting players to play offense is easy because everyone wants to score. Getting them to play defense is work.
All I meant is the concept is not as difficult to grasp. it's more about effort. UCONN's offense is harder intellectually for players to pick up. It's more complicated.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Anna comes from Poland, which puts her under the radar, because most folks follow only U.S. prep players. I expect her to surprise the heck out of the competition.

This movie came out this year (although I haven't seen it). I've been trying to figure out what to do with the
image.

anna3.jpg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom