Geno says “Everything is in a state of flux” | The Boneyard

Geno says “Everything is in a state of flux”

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
“You watch practice, and we’ll go through stretches where I’ll be like, ‘Damn, this looks really, really good,’” Auriemma said. “And then we’ll go through a half an hour where I don’t think we can beat anybody. I think it’s going to be a lot of that until we get into after January.”

Oh boy. Glad we have the chat room for game threads.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Don't know what people were expecting, UCONN WBB will be trying to integrate 2 new starters into the rotation and as many as 5 (minimum of 4) new players into the regular rotation this season.

Reaction Score
If they a lose a game during the regular season it will be okay as long as we win the National Championship.

Reaction Score
I think one aspect abut Gino and why he is such a good coach is that he keeps things in perspective. To improve you have to know where your starting point is. To overestimate a player or team's potential never has the best outcome. He always seems to underplay potential if anything. Some fans might want to learn a lesson from that. Some seem to confuse possible with probable. Cautious expectations do not really limit or affect the final outcome one bit.

Reaction Score
Again, as I do every season have 1 wish/hope for the upcoming season, and that is no major injuries or sickness, then let the pieces fall where they may!
The parts to the puzzle are in the bag they just need all to benefit from the coaching staff's knowledge!
If we're healthy their is a possibility of great things happening!

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
“You watch practice, and we’ll go through stretches where I’ll be like, ‘Damn, this looks really, really good,’” Auriemma said. “And then we’ll go through a half an hour where I don’t think we can beat anybody. I think it’s going to be a lot of that until we get into after January.” ~ Geno.

I think this can be said about most programs this time of year. With the players we have, and Geno as coach, I like our chances going into the season. We'll find out exactly where we are against the two biggest games on the schedule, Baylor (Jan 9) and Oregon (Feb 3). Normally I would include Notre Dame, but not when they lose their entire starting unit from the previous year.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
“You watch practice, and we’ll go through stretches where I’ll be like, ‘Damn, this looks really, really good,’” Auriemma said. “And then we’ll go through a half an hour where I don’t think we can beat anybody. I think it’s going to be a lot of that until we get into after January.” ~ Geno.

I think this can be said about most programs this time of year. With the players we have, and Geno as coach, I like our chances going into the season. We'll find out exactly where we are against the two biggest games on the schedule, #1 Baylor (Jan 9) and #3 Oregon (Feb 3). Other teams I expect to really give us a game: UCF, South Carolina, and USF. Normally I would include Notre Dame, but not when they lose all 5 of their starters.

This just in - The latest coaches poll has Notre Dame ranked #2 ahead of #3 UConn. Interesting how a team can lose their entire starting 5, and still remain ranked #2, even though that team is untested against a top 5 opponent. :confused:

View attachment 47187
I believe that is LAST year's poll.

Reaction Score
At the end of the 2016 season UConn lost 3 AA's who accounted for over 50% of the points and over 33% of the rebounds. The following season UConn went into the NCAA's undefeated and the No 1 ranked team.
History rhymes. Different years different players. And 2017 was n't the only year it worked out like that. I'll bet Geno complains about his aches and pains on the first tee, always trying to gain an extra shot. ;)
It's not that I don't see the same questions. It's just that I've seen how freshman, especially at UConn, come in as McDAA's, play their freshman years in a near total state of confusion and then emerge as polished players as sophomores.
Both Williams and ONO played with some elite team mates this summer and at least held their own. There should be no doubt that they will be ready when the real playing starts.

Reaction Score
At the beginning of every season, Geno says the same thing. Moments of Excellence, long periods of drought. Doesn't know how they are going to put a team on the floor. Then: boom, somehow things start coming together and the excellence shines. The man is great for setting the stage and the expectations.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
At the beginning of every season, Geno says the same thing. Moments of Excellence, long periods of drought. Doesn't know how they are going to put a team on the floor. Then: boom, somehow things start coming together and the excellence shines. The man is great for setting the stage and the expectations.

Talk about expectations and setting standards. :eek:

Walker, the only remaining member of UConn’s 2017 recruiting class after multiple transfers, averaged 12.1 points and 6.7 rebounds in 2018-19, the latter stat second-highest on the team behind Collier.

Auriemma says the team will need Collier-levels of production from her for the team to be able to get where it wants to be.

“It’s probably a lot to ask, but she’s going to have to have the kind of season that Pheesa had for us to go to the Final Four,” Auriemma said.

Reaction Score
Auriemma has been dusting off the same preseason quote for the last 20 years.
No, but he really really means it this year!
1571143108830.png

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geno on scheduling:

CL82 paraphrase (in best Shrek voice): "Scheduling is like a onion. It has layers."

So, he schedules tough OOC opponents because they will be televised, which gives UConn national exposure which maintains our national brand which in turn helps in recruiting. But he also schedules them so that his team will see different styles of play, so that nothing surprises them in March. Keep in mind that opponent fans usually pack the areas for these game which is very much like the atmosphere of the NCAA tournament, so the kids are better prepared. Finally, at UConn's level only the other top teams in the country can expose weaknesses, playing them during the regular season allows for time to correct/adjust come March.

Some other teams run away from these tough games to preserve their regular season W/L record. Geno seeks them out. He is just operating a level above most other coaches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom