Geno says “Everything is in a state of flux” | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno says “Everything is in a state of flux”

Reaction Score
:D Somehow I don't think you or I were the intended audience of these spiels.
You are right OLD TIMERS Uconn have heard this before.-- It's A DAAAA about why Geno AlwayS PLAYS a tough OOC schedule--or wants wide TV exposure

Reaction Score
Again, as I do every season have 1 wish/hope for the upcoming season, and that is no major injuries or sickness, then let the pieces fall where they may!
The parts to the puzzle are in the bag they just need all to benefit from the coaching staff's knowledge!
If we're healthy their is a possibility of great things happening!
Coach--right ON as usual

Reaction Score
My standard is a little lower. I only want to win the last game of the season. :p
I'll be honest, at first, I thought "Brilliant!" Then I thought, "Well, that's actually pretty stupid. How happy would I be if we lost the first 29 games of the regular season but won the final game? How happy would I be with that?" Not very, that's how happy.

Then I thought, "But don't all AAC teams make the conference playoffs, so even if we lost every regular season, we'd still be in the playoffs, and we couldn't lose there or else we wouldn't win the final game.

Then I thought, "And doesn't the conference champion automatically qualify for the NCAA? And if we make the the tourney, don't we have to win it in order to win the last game?"

So now, we're what? 0-30 for the regular season but 9-0 in the post season (or do we get no byes in the AAC and have to win 5 games there like the 2014 guys team, so we're 5-0 in conf. tourn. and 6-0 in NCAA) and end up 11-30 and NCAA Champs? That would be pretty cool. That would make UConn the surprise answer to a trivia question 50 years from now. "What team lost every game during the regular season but was still NCAA champion?"

But wait! What about the WNIT post season? When does that conclude? Obviously, we at the Boneyard have no idea what goes on there. But if the WNIT finishes after the NCAA, doesn't that mean the winner of that tournament wins the last game of the season?

Then I thought, "Where's the Advil?"

Reaction Score
Geno on scheduling:

CL82 paraphrase (in best Shrek voice): "Scheduling is like a onion. It has layers."

So, he schedules tough OOC opponents because they will be televised, which gives UConn national exposure which maintains our national brand which in turn helps in recruiting. But he also schedules them so that his team will see different styles of play, so that nothing surprises them in March. Keep in mind that opponent fans usually pack the areas for these game which is very much like the atmosphere of the NCAA tournament, so the kids are better prepared. Finally, at UConn's level only the other top teams in the country can expose weaknesses, playing them during the regular season allows for time to correct/adjust come March.

Some other teams run away from these tough games to preserve their regular season W/L record. Geno seeks them out. He is just operating a level above most other coaches.

That makes sense to me. Not only is it good for UConn it is good for WBB. I wish all the elite teams had this same attitude. It would be great to see relevant competitive games!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'll be honest, at first, I thought "Brilliant!" Then I thought, "Well, that's actually pretty stupid. How happy would I be if we lost the first 29 games of the regular season but won the final game? How happy would I be with that?" Not very, that's how happy.

Then I thought, "But don't all AAC teams make the conference playoffs, so even if we lost every regular season, we'd still be in the playoffs, and we couldn't lose there or else we wouldn't win the final game.

Then I thought, "And doesn't the conference champion automatically qualify for the NCAA? And if we make the the tourney, don't we have to win it in order to win the last game?"

So now, we're what? 0-30 for the regular season but 9-0 in the post season (or do we get no byes in the AAC and have to win 5 games there like the 2014 guys team, so we're 5-0 in conf. tourn. and 6-0 in NCAA) and end up 11-30 and NCAA Champs? That would be pretty cool. That would make UConn the surprise answer to a trivia question 50 years from now. "What team lost every game during the regular season but was still NCAA champion?"

But wait! What about the WNIT post season? When does that conclude? Obviously, we at the Boneyard have no idea what goes on there. But if the WNIT finishes after the NCAA, doesn't that mean the winner of that tournament wins the last game of the season?

You need something stronger. ;)

Reaction Score
That makes sense to me. Not only is it good for UConn it is good for WBB. I wish all the elite teams had this same attitude. It would be great to see relevant competitive games!

Perhaps start by dropping an email to your coach. :rolleyes:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Geno has a great capacity for flux.
Thank you, Doc Brown!

1571160132535.png

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
One of the things I love about this board is you can lob one of these out and no matter how obscure, off topic or how big a reach it is, the 'usual suspects' will pick it up.
Bama fan posted on it first. My battery died, so I was slower to post.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Don't know what people were expecting, UCONN WBB will be trying to integrate 2 new starters into the rotation and as many as 5 (minimum of 4) new players into the regular rotation this season.
The problem is Geno and CD have done this so adroitly over the years that we expect nothing less of them or from them. Is that fair? Of course not, but we do know he will succeed and make it look easy. That is really the art of being great, making it look so easy to do and to do so often, that any of us feel we could do it or frustrated when is does not occur, completely unaware of how truly hard it is!
But at least we don’t have high expectations...:rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If that statement put a sly smile on Megan's face, I think we're really, really going to enjoy this team.

Yeah because the plays they ran for Pheesa will now be run for her, and with those expectations comes a green light.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

It’s ok Registered, we knew what you meant.

Reaction Score
Geno always make you feel that they will never be undefeated even b4 the season starts while everyone else is unbeaten b4 game 1..Head bang

Reaction Score
“You watch practice, and we’ll go through stretches where I’ll be like, ‘Damn, this looks really, really good,’” Auriemma said. “And then we’ll go through a half an hour where I don’t think we can beat anybody. I think it’s going to be a lot of that until we get into after January.”

Oh boy. Glad we have the chat room for game threads.

For those of us who don't get Courant, care to summarize that?

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Timing is everything. I’ve been “scooped” by mere minutes on several occasions. Javaman has got me at least twice. :)
No shame in being scooped by Java. He is about 13 hours ahead of Connecticut time. It is already Wednesday morning there. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom