Geno on DeBerry | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno on DeBerry

Reaction Score
I have to differ. She didn't have post moves at UConn... Azure has developed them as a pro though. This is why I wished she had stayed another year at UConn to develop some post moves.
I don't believe she was ever going to change or develop her inside game at UConn because she didn't have to. She knew she'd play regardless. She managed to find that motivation when her job depended on it.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I don't believe she was ever going to change or develop her inside game at UConn because she didn't have to. She knew she'd play regardless. She managed to find that motivation when her job depended on it.
UConn also had the best low post scorer in the nation in Pheesa. Unfortunately, when Z went through a prolonged shooting slump from the arc at UConn, trying to play both Pheesa & Z at the same time proved to be problematic for UConn.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
That’s so cool! Stewie is her idol. Just curious, is there an interview or source of her saying that? I really hope she commits to UConn!
I saw

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I have to differ. She didn't have post moves at UConn... Azure has developed them as a pro though. This is why I wished she had stayed another year at UConn to develop some post moves.
Geno didn't say anything about "post moves". Even so who do you think had better post moves than Azura "since Stewie"?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Just out of curiosity, if you start Z, which of your three 1st-team AA’s do you put on the bench at the start of games?
Well, that is a tough question, because the starters that year (2017-18) were Crystal, Kia, Gabby, Lou, and Pheesa. It's pretty hard to put any of them on the bench.

Nonetheless, although that team went 36-1 (losing only to Notre Dame in the Final Four on Arike's famous shot), I think it did lack a big presence in the lane, and rebounding was a problem. So maybe it would have been better to let Kia handle the point and leave sophomore Crystal on the bench, or alternatively let Gabby be the 6th person behind a front court of Azura, Lou, and Pheesa. That means that Pheesa and Z would have had to find a way to play together, and/or Kia (as a senior) would have had to learn to handle the PG position.

But there are many Boneyarders (including myself) who think that if Z had started the second half against Notre Dame (or had started the game), UConn would have won. So maybe, with 20-20 hindsight, a different decision should have been made.

I think that is one of the toughest decisions that Geno has had to make since 2016, and I suppose that's why he is paid the big bucks.

Reaction Score
I have to admit that I saw Deberry twice in high school and she looked average at best both times. I believe she was a sophomore at the time but I could be wrong. I didn’t expect anything from her this year because of those times I watched her and her tapes that I’ve seen since. But the preseason game she got a little time, she carried herself totally differently. She looked like she could actually play if given the chance to learn through her errors. This week her games were not at all what I’ve seen from her in the past but more of the impression I got from her movement in the preseason game. Just looks NOTHING like the person I saw play. She does look like she can contribute now.
Losing the weight really helped her quickness a lot. I think she may be better offensively than defensively as strength may be an issue defensively. She does hustle well though and her head is in the game. She's actually of decent quickness overall for a big. I agree with your assessment of her in high school. She has clearly improved a lot.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Well, that is a tough question, because the starters that year (2017-18) were Crystal, Kia, Gabby, Lou, and Pheesa. It's pretty hard to put any of them on the bench.

Nonetheless, although that team went 36-1 (losing only to Notre Dame in the Final Four on Arike's famous shot), I think it did lack a big presence in the lane, and rebounding was a problem. So maybe it would have been better to let Kia handle the point and leave sophomore Crystal on the bench, or alternatively let Gabby be the 6th person behind a front court of Azura, Lou, and Pheesa. That means that Pheesa and Z would have had to find a way to play together, and/or Kia (as a senior) would have had to learn to handle the PG position.

But there are many Boneyarders (including myself) who think that if Z had started the second half against Notre Dame (or had started the game), UConn would have won. So maybe, with 20-20 hindsight, a different decision should have been made.

I think that is one of the toughest decisions that Geno has had to make since 2016, and I suppose that's why he is paid the big bucks.
Hard to sit your pg. When Crystal missed several games due to shin splints, Kia moved over to pg and the offense struggled. Fortunately, that was in the middle of the AAC season.

As for Kia, she was named the NDPOY that season. Sit Gabby? If it came down to Z or Gabby, there’s no question in my mind who I prefer on the court.

Reaction Score
So South Carolina plays 12 players today , when has Geno done that against a ranked team in a close game ? Just my 2 cents I rather beat lesser teams by 10 and let bench players get valuable playing time versus winning by 30 and playing starters 95% of the game . Our starters are spent by the 4th quarter ..correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t we have the lead in every game after 3 quarters this season ?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So South Carolina plays 12 players today , when has Geno done that against a ranked team in a close game ? Just my 2 cents I rather beat lesser teams by 10 and let bench players get valuable playing time versus winning by 30 and playing starters 95% of the game . Our starters are spent by the 4th quarter ..correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t we have the lead in every game after 3 quarters this season ?
You may want to check the box score. SC only played 10 players in today’s game.

Reaction Score
And, she will be
At this point, I can’t go that far.
But figure 2 bigs=80 game minutes right off the bat.
Split up between 4 players ( not equally), still a lot of opportunity to give Amari floor time.
At this point (IMHO), Liv and Dorka get the lions share, Aayliah first off the bench for breaks or in case of foul trouble.
Then Amari.
Liv still gets into foul trouble, as does Dorka, as does Aayliah given enough minutes.
Coach recently had a conversation with a Dorka—where she’d like to be on the floor in the offense- it seems to have worked out famously thus far.
How about a conversation with Amari?
Coach-“I need hard, smart court time from you. The smarter you play (no, few fouls), the more time I will be able to use you.”
Amari-“Whatever it takes”.
Sounds like a fair bargain to me.
1-2 fouls in 12 minutes= more court time
2-3 fouls in in 12 minutes=back to insurance policy for other players situations.
Above just a concept, loosely laid out.
Fresh legs.
Foul trouble spread out.
Playing time spread out.
Team wins.
Young player developed.
Of course -just spitballing.

Reaction Score
You may want to check the box score. SC only played 10 players in today’s game.
Still 3- 4 more than Geno would play in a tight game against a ranked team is my point unless there is fool trouble and he has to play someone else ..

Reaction Score
Well if he thinks that and Ive been told by coaches she has very good footwork just wait til you see Ciera Toomey who I hope we get a verbal from. BTW Stewie is her idol.
@Tonyc you know we are well aware of our friend C.

Reaction Score
Amari will develop into a good player. Had this season not turned out to be the train wreck it has become, Amari would have played very little minutes this season. Hopefully she gets more minutes as the season progresses. But like the other freshman, she’s still trying to figure out the offense. Her problem is she tends to get lost on defense, which leads to the short leash.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I agree entirely.

Reaction Score
I have to admit that I saw Deberry twice in high school and she looked average at best both times. I believe she was a sophomore at the time but I could be wrong. I didn’t expect anything from her this year because of those times I watched her and her tapes that I’ve seen since. But the preseason game she got a little time, she carried herself totally differently. She looked like she could actually play if given the chance to learn through her errors. This week her games were not at all what I’ve seen from her in the past but more of the impression I got from her movement in the preseason game. Just looks NOTHING like the person I saw play. She does look like she can contribute now.
it often takes post players longer to reach their potential.............obviously Geno and everybody else that has recruited her or ranked her saw something they really liked.........she's really more of a forward than a post and will never be a banger on the boards but I'm hopeful she becomes a piece of the puzzle that leads to UConn's next NC......

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
it often takes post players longer to reach their potential.............obviously Geno and everybody else that has recruited her or ranked her saw something they really liked.........she's really more of a forward than a post and will never be a banger on the boards but I'm hopeful she becomes a piece of the puzzle that leads to UConn's next NC......
To end your last sentence, "before her junior season".

Reaction Score
It’s a crapshoot… especially with the bigs. You never know if or how they will grow physically or skillfully. Any coaches opinion of a player who is just out of high school is nice for the fans to read but not much more. I look forward to watching our freshman’s progress on this team. I remember Dolson in her Freshman year and thought ..uh oh. Not a good recruiting decision. And then, watching her in her senior year and thinking wow…great recruiting decision. Some players come in a lot better than Dolson was in her first year but don’t grow. Some do. May the dice be with us.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Still 3- 4 more than Geno would play in a tight game against a ranked team is my point unless there is fool trouble and he has to play someone else ..
Not sure I agree. With everyone healthy, Geno’s rotation this year would include Liv, Dorka, Aaliyah, Aubrey, Christyn, Paige, Evina, Azzi, Nika & Caroline at a minimum.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

12? Try 10, if you include the mopup team. SIX (That's right, 6) players saw any meaningful minutes for SCar today. But just keep harping on Geno as if he is out in left field on using his bench.

So are we to assume that Staley is also behind the times.

Reaction Score
High praise from Geno yesterday. Called Amari “the most purely skilled big UConn has had since Brianna Stewart”.

Having a hard time with this one. The comment doesn’t make sense for a coach who didn’t play her at all until the Georgia Tech game (7th game of the season). I do not recall hearing about any injuries holding her from playing. So DNP-coaches decision.

I’m happy he’s boosting her confidence, but some ppl (like me) might just think the room is filling up with from that comment.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Having a hard time with this one. The comment doesn’t make sense for a coach who didn’t play her at all until the Georgia Tech game (7th game of the season). I do not recall hearing about any injuries holding her from playing. So DNP-coaches decision.

I’m happy he’s boosting her confidence, but some ppl (like me) might just think the room is filling up with from that comment.
Posters here are making too much of his comment about Amari.

Talking about a player's skill level is different than talking about what a player is doing with that skill level. Geno seems to think highly of her basketball skills but less of what she has been doing with those skills. He talks about Amari at the 15 minute mark of this video. Hopefully she'll begin to act like a basketball player.

Reaction Score
AD has great length, but she'll have to learn to play more physical with her body type - which is more like ONO. I hope she doesn't want to be more of a "perimeter" big. As we've seen the past few games/seasons, we need more bangers on UConn, not finesse bigs. Lots of potential though.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
AD has great length, but she'll have to learn to play more physical with her body type - which is more like ONO. I hope she doesn't want to be more of a "perimeter" big. As we've seen the past few games/seasons, we need more bangers on UConn, not finesse bigs. Lots of potential though.
I’m really not concerned about Amari being physical enough. There was a play in the UCLA game when Amari is bodied up on defense in the post against UCLA’s center, when a pass comes into the UCLA center that’s a little high. Amari literally reaches over the UCLA center and rips the ball out of her hands. Keep in mind that every day in practice Amari is learning the ropes from Jamelle. :)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Loved Geno's comment - "Are you someone who plays basketball, or are you a basketball player? Because if you want to be a basketball player, I need you to think, act, and talk like a basketball player. That will give me the opportunity to play you more minutes"...

Something like that. He used the analogy of "there are some people who play golf, and then there are Golfers".

Reaction Score
Good point!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom