Geno on DeBerry | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno on DeBerry

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I disagree with Geno on this one. The most basketball skilled UCONN big since Stewie graduated has been Azura Stevens.

Reaction Score
My question is: can’t the scouts and coaches realize this during the recruiting process?
We constantly read things like power in the paint, coveted prospect in the year ...., Power-5 prospect, runs the court well. etc, etc, etc.
Are the rating combines blowing smoke, are the coaches blind or are these coveted prospects playing against crap competition ( see post this week regarding a coveted prospect in a 111-2 game)?
I understand that there are few can’t miss prospects, but to be a top 5 freshman and considered to slow to be on the floor, I mean, really?
Surprise, surprise?
What the.....heck?
IMO, the better the coach and program, the less they pay attention to any amateur guru rankings. The top 25 programs know what they're seeing with their eyes, that's why they travel to AAU tourneys, HS games, open gyms etc. to see the kids in person. They also have trusted contacts around the country they communicate with. Often two or more coaches on a staff scout the kids separately, often more than a couple times and compare notes and weigh plusses and minuses to project what they think the kid can become for them through development. You can't teach 6-5 but the better coaches believe they can develop it. The UConn staff obviously feels she's worth the investment. Most of those top 25 teams would have wanted/taken her if she'd had interest in them. But since their job depends on it, most competent coaches trust their eyes and not some guy with a laptop trying to sell subscriptions to a website or podcast. Of course smaller programs with smaller recruiting budgets will rely on the services somewhat for identifying under the radar kids that the bigger programs might not have as much interest in, but they try to see the kids up close also if possible.
As for blowing smoke, the flowery, colorful descriptions are nothing more than that. Just hype for fans.

Reaction Score
I have to admit that I saw Deberry twice in high school and she looked average at best both times. I believe she was a sophomore at the time but I could be wrong. I didn’t expect anything from her this year because of those times I watched her and her tapes that I’ve seen since. But the preseason game she got a little time, she carried herself totally differently. She looked like she could actually play if given the chance to learn through her errors. This week her games were not at all what I’ve seen from her in the past but more of the impression I got from her movement in the preseason game. Just looks NOTHING like the person I saw play. She does look like she can contribute now.
I agree with you here, I saw and have seen the same. JMO, but as I said in another post she's not particularly fast or quick, so she needs to play with maximum effort and desire at all times to make up for it. And I believe that has been communicated to her sufficiently several times. So now it's a matter of GA and the staff wanting to see where max effort and talent level meet up and can take her.

Reaction Score
Yeah best skilled big since Stewie but has only played a grand total of 13 minutes? Can you imagine Stewie only playing 13 minutes through game 8 of her freshman season?
Didn’t say best as....said best since

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
What the heck happened to Edwards?

EDIT: I now see there is a thread about this. Will dive in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well if he thinks that and Ive been told by coaches she has very good footwork just wait til you see Ciera Toomey who I hope we get a verbal from. BTW Stewie is her idol.
That’s so cool! Stewie is her idol. Just curious, is there an interview or source of her saying that? I really hope she commits to UConn!

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Then shouldn’t she be getting more court time?
I mean, what the...?
IMO, the better the coach and program, the less they pay attention to any amateur guru rankings. The top 25 programs know what they're seeing with their eyes, that's why they travel to AAU tourneys, HS games, open gyms etc. to see the kids in person. They also have trusted contacts around the country they communicate with. Often two or more coaches on a staff scout the kids separately, often more than a couple times and compare notes and weigh plusses and minuses to project what they think the kid can become for them through development. You can't teach 6-5 but the better coaches believe they can develop it. The UConn staff obviously feels she's worth the investment. Most of those top 25 teams would have wanted/taken her if she'd had interest in them. But since their job depends on it, most competent coaches trust their eyes and not some guy with a laptop trying to sell subscriptions to a website or podcast. Of course smaller programs with smaller recruiting budgets will rely on the services somewhat for identifying under the radar kids that the bigger programs might not have as much interest in, but they try to see the kids up close also if possible.
As for blowing smoke, the flowery, colorful descriptions are nothing more than that. Just hype for fans.
This is one of the most measured and informed analyses that I have seen of the whole business (and I mean that literally) of making $$ from rating and pushing pre-college women's basketball talent. Too often the gushing praise seems exaggerted, and too often it consists of snippets (10-20 seconds!) of successful shooting or driving or . . . you fill in the blanks. If those adverts really revealed real talent Geno and Chris and other college coaches wouldn't invest so much travel and time to see candidates and make in-person evaluations themselves. I certainly trust our Uconn staff's assessments more than the listing of statistics (with no sense of the opposition's worthiness) or those brief snippets.

Reaction Score
Geno didn't compare DeBerry to Stewie; he really compared her to the UConn post (or big) players who've played since Stewie graduated.

DeBerry as a freshman is nowhere close to Stewie as a freshman. That doesn't mean she isn't skilled or shouldn't get more minutes.
Yes he did absolutely compare Amari to Stewart. ESPN’s Ryan Ruocco interviewed him before the game, and Ruocco quoted Geno during the game at the 8:58 mark in the 2nd quarter.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I disagree with Geno on this one. The most basketball skilled UCONN big since Stewie graduated has been Azura Stevens.
I think Geno was talking about position skills in the post. Azura had been a big guard at Duke, and she apparently wanted to continue that at UConn. She also didn't like to move quickly on defense, probably because she had played the high middle in Duke's zone defense.

She didn’t have a lot of inside skills on either side of the ball, and she didn't seem too enthused about having to develop them in Storrs. I think that may have contributed to her early departure, although I also think it was a mistake not to have her in the starting lineup during the one year that she played for UConn.

If that is true, then it's ironic that she now makes her living in the 5 slot for the Chicago Sky.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I think Geno was talking about position skills in the post. Azura had been a big guard at Duke, and she apparently wanted to continue that at UConn. She also didn't like to move quickly on defense, probably because she had played the high middle in Duke's zone defense.

She didn’t have a lot of inside skills on either side of the ball, and she didn't seem too enthused about having to develop them in Storrs. I think that may have contributed to her early departure, although I also think it was a mistake not to have her in the starting lineup during the one year that she played for UConn.

If that is true, then it's ironic that she now makes her living in the 5 slot for the Chicago Sky.
Ditto.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Just out of curiosity, if you start Z, which of your three 1st-team AA’s do you put on the bench at the start of games?

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
the most purely skilled big UConn has had since Brianna Stewart”.Yes he did absolutely compare Amari to Stewart. ESPN’s Ryan Ruocco interviewed him before the game, and Ruocco quoted Geno during the game at the 8:58 mark in the 2nd quarter.
Yes, the quote appears above: "the most purely skilled big UConn has had since Brianna Stewart”. He used the word "since," meaning between then and now. It's a time reference, not a direct comparison between the two players.

He did not say DeBerry is as good as Stewie, or nearly as good as Stewie, or anything like that because to say something like that would be crazy.

Reaction Score
Then shouldn’t she be getting more court time?
I mean, what the...?
My interpretation is that she's a player with good height, good hands, a good shooting touch and good footwork. But coming into the preseason, she was not where she needed to be with respect to conditioning. If you watch her out there, she's on the slower side. I think she's a player who will have a big impact, but the jump to college basketball intensity will take some time. I'm glad she's getting minutes now, because I think it will pay dividends for the future.

Reaction Score
AD is probably making the rest of the bigs better in practice as well. she is demanding more playing time with her play. would love to see what she could do with 30 minutes.

Reaction Score
Yes, the quote appears above: "the most purely skilled big UConn has had since Brianna Stewart”. He used the word "since," meaning between then and now. It's a time reference, not a direct comparison between the two players.

He did not say DeBerry is as good as Stewie, or nearly as good as Stewie, or anything like that because to say something like that would be crazy.
He said the best SINCE Stewart, meaning in his estimation no one else since Stewart has had better pure skills than DeBerry. I might add that Rebecca agreed when Ruocco quoted him on the air.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The good news is that DeBerry has good skills and court awareness. She understands where to go and what to do when she gets there. The not so good news is that her skills and legs/feet are in slow motion and the college game is too quick for her right now. She’s two seconds behind at both ends. She doesn’t have a lot of natural speed or quickness so she’ll need to learn to play faster with better anticipation but under control to be a impact player. Maybe she can get there, we’ll see.
I completely disagree with your entire post. Either you really didn’t watch her during her 13 minutes or you are confused who she is. She’s faster that Dorka and Liv running the floor, on offense her foot work is fine and her hands are softer than Dorka’s or Liv’s. Where she’s struggling is on the man to man defense and when to switch or how to watch the backside. Hence Geno going to zone yesterday when she was inserted into the game. She’s only going to learn that defensive logic by playing more in game speed situations.
To say her foot work and speed are slow or she’s 2 seconds behind is simply not true on the offensive end. She can and will help this team this year.

Reaction Score
Yeah best skilled big since Stewie but has only played a grand total of 13 minutes? Can you imagine Stewie only playing 13 minutes through game 8 of her freshman season?
I think her health and conditioning has been a factor..

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Playing her in tight games puts a burden on her she’s not ready for. Giving her limited minutes against various opponents is a way to ease her in to the rotation without overloading her with expectation that she has to be great right away
Just so correct. When Amari hit campus has everyone forgotten that Geno said she was battling injuries and conditioning problems? Has everyone forgotten that when asked during Media Day CW said of Amari "She has some work to do". The kids been playing catch up ever since. Why expose her to situations and high game minutes when she isn't quite ready? On and on posters complain saying "I don't get it". It's people with short and selective memories I don't get.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
He said the best SINCE Stewart, meaning in his estimation no one else since Stewart has had better pure skills than DeBerry. I might add that Rebecca agreed when Ruocco quoted him on the air.
Well, yes. That's what we are saying here! He did not compare DeBerry to Stewart but rather to the bigs who have played after Stewart graduated.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Yes, I can. She struggled in your freshman season, if I recall correctly. Yet somehow she was ready to be the MVP of the final four. I don’t know, and I’m just spitballin’ here, maybe Geno knows a thing or two about how to develop a player?
Stewie played more than 13 minutes thru eight games when she was a freshman. That was the question. She struggled after she started out playing really well.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
She didn’t have a lot of inside skills on either side of the ball, and she didn't seem too enthused about having to develop them in Storrs. I think that may have contributed to her early departure, although I also think it was a mistake not to have her in the starting lineup during the one year that she played for UConn. If that is true, then it's ironic that she now makes her living in the 5 slot for the Chicago Sky.
Geno said "the most purely skilled big UConn has had since Brianna Stewart'. Geno didn't mention anything about "position" or inside outside. I'm also not sure what Azura's time at Duke or her WNBA current situation has to do with this but she was not a guard at Duke. At UCONN she was listed on the official roster as a forward/guard & played the PF/C position with great skill. Azura's skills produced one of the most productive seasons (defensive & offensive) in UCONN WBB history. We can continue to speculate why she left early but let's not let that speculation cloud our judgement as to her skill level which was enormous.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I completely disagree with your entire post. Either you really didn’t watch her during her 13 minutes or you are confused who she is. She’s faster that Dorka and Liv running the floor, on offense her foot work is fine and her hands are softer than Dorka’s or Liv’s. Where she’s struggling is on the man to man defense and when to switch or how to watch the backside. Hence Geno going to zone yesterday when she was inserted into the game. She’s only going to learn that defensive logic by playing more in game speed situations.
To say her foot work and speed are slow or she’s 2 seconds behind is simply not true on the offensive end. She can and will help this team this year.
I tried to make your point earlier, and maybe I can say it in a different way that will sound strange. Amari has learned how to run since this summer. When I watched her in the U19’s she took tiny little strides, like she was scared she might step on a butterfly.

Well a big doesn’t need to move their feet any quicker to run faster. They simply need to learn how to use the gift they were born with and maximize every stride. Amari now pumps her arms and uses every inch of her long legs to power up and down the court.

Reaction Score
That’s it Geno, keep building up the players!! It goes a long way.
Really then why the hell does't he put her in for Edwards, the way Edwards hs been playing !

Reaction Score
I have to differ. She didn't have post moves at UConn... Azure has developed them as a pro though. This is why I wished she had stayed another year at UConn to develop some post moves.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom