Geno on DeBerry | The Boneyard

Geno on DeBerry

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
High praise from Geno yesterday. Called Amari “the most purely skilled big UConn has had since Brianna Stewart”.
Well if he thinks that and Ive been told by coaches she has very good footwork just wait til you see Ciera Toomey who I hope we get a verbal from. BTW Stewie is her idol.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Then shouldn’t she be getting more court time?
I mean, what the...?
I agree with your questions but for yesterday's game she was in for 6 minutes and was called for 2 fouls. Liv was also getting called for PFs but was playing a good game regardless of that. I am guessing that Geno and the other coaches were keeping her on the bench in case Liv, or Dorka, picked up #5. If I recall correctly, wasn't Liv on the bench at the start of the 4th quarter because of her fouls?
Hopefully Amari will get a better chance against Louisville and our upcoming BE opponents. IMO.

Reaction Score
Any sources or just from yesterday's after game press?
I love DeBerry and if Geno compares her with Stewart that is a really really great endorsement.
Listen to the game and the commentary from Ryan Ruocco and Rebecca, at about 8:58 left in the 2nd quarter when DeBerry comes into the game.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Can you imagine Stewie only playing 13 minutes through game 8 of her freshman season?
Yes, I can. She struggled in your freshman season, if I recall correctly. Yet somehow she was ready to be the MVP of the final four. I don’t know, and I’m just spitballin’ here, maybe Geno knows a thing or two about how to develop a player?

Reaction Score
I mean, what the...?
The good news is that DeBerry has good skills and court awareness. She understands where to go and what to do when she gets there. The not so good news is that her skills and legs/feet are in slow motion and the college game is too quick for her right now. She’s two seconds behind at both ends. She doesn’t have a lot of natural speed or quickness so she’ll need to learn to play faster with better anticipation but under control to be a impact player. Maybe she can get there, we’ll see.

Reaction Score
The good news is that DeBerry has good skills and court awareness. She understands where to go and what to do when she gets there. The not so good news is that her skills and legs/feet are in slow motion and the college game is too quick for her right now. She’s two seconds behind at both ends. She doesn’t have a lot of natural speed or quickness so she’ll need to learn to play faster with better anticipation but under control to be a impact player. Maybe she can get there, we’ll see.
My question is: can’t the scouts and coaches realize this during the recruiting process?
We constantly read things like power in the paint, coveted prospect in the year ...., Power-5 prospect, runs the court well. etc, etc, etc.
Are the rating combines blowing smoke, are the coaches blind or are these coveted prospects playing against crap competition ( see post this week regarding a coveted prospect in a 111-2 game)?
I understand that there are few can’t miss prospects, but to be a top 5 freshman and considered to slow to be on the floor, I mean, really?
Surprise, surprise?
What the.....heck?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I mean, what the...?
I couldn’t agree more! But…..I’m not going to second guess Geno here. There’s a reason he’s not playing Amari more that we don’t know about.

While I’m excited about her potential, and look forward to seeing her get more minutes, I’ll wait until Geno decides when the time and game situation is right.

I’m sure he wants to see Amari be successful and flourish in the program. I was delighted when Amari committed to UConn. She’s going to do some great things and help us win a lot of games during her time here. I expect to see a lot of her once conference play begins. In Geno I trust.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I mean, what the...?
Playing her in tight games puts a burden on her she’s not ready for. Giving her limited minutes against various opponents is a way to ease her in to the rotation without overloading her with expectation that she has to be great right away

Reaction Score
That is some awesome high praise! Huge shout out to Amari. That Georgia Tech game, she showed me the potential of what can be!!
Game time, practice correction time, and high praise, in my less that perfect opinion, a player makes. Some patience from her and us may take her into the NCAA's this year, MAYBE.

Reaction Score
My question is: can’t the scouts and coaches realize this during the recruiting process?
We constantly read things like power in the paint, coveted prospect in the year ...., Power-5 prospect, runs the court well. etc, etc, etc.
Are the rating combines blowing smoke, are the coaches blind or are these coveted prospects playing against crap competition ( see post this week regarding a coveted prospect in a 111-2 game)?
I understand that there are few can’t miss prospects, but to be a top 5 freshman and considered to slow to be on the floor, I mean, really?
Surprise, surprise?
What the.....heck?
DeBerry has a lot of natural ability and a soft touch on her shots that will serve her well.........there's not a program in WBB that wouldn't want her........,.next year's front court with DeBerry, AE, hopefully Dorka and the two incoming freshman will be quite formidable......

Reaction Score
I have to admit that I saw Deberry twice in high school and she looked average at best both times. I believe she was a sophomore at the time but I could be wrong. I didn’t expect anything from her this year because of those times I watched her and her tapes that I’ve seen since. But the preseason game she got a little time, she carried herself totally differently. She looked like she could actually play if given the chance to learn through her errors. This week her games were not at all what I’ve seen from her in the past but more of the impression I got from her movement in the preseason game. Just looks NOTHING like the person I saw play. She does look like she can contribute now.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Geno didn't compare DeBerry to Stewie; he really compared her to the UConn post (or big) players who've played since Stewie graduated.

DeBerry as a freshman is nowhere close to Stewie as a freshman. That doesn't mean she isn't skilled or shouldn't get more minutes.

Reaction Score
I guess I agree in part.
So we should keep her on the bench and go to uh, uh, uh....no one else?
Very few healthy bodies at this point.
Ducharme responded.
Took one game and one dribble off of her foot (more or less).
And now she is arriving.
If Deberry is as Coach described YESTERDAY, pull the trigger.
Personally ( as a fan), I’d be willing to experience the pain of growth now in exchange for preparedness in a March.
JMHO.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Amari only played a handful of minutes in two games, but she played well enough in those minutes to earn more PT from Geno, and I am hopeful that she’s on a path to be a major contributor by the end of this season.

There is one area where Amari’s improvement is significant from her time on the U-19 team this past summer to her PT in each of the past 2 games. Amari’s ability to run the floor is “light years” better than it was just a few months ago.

No matter how talented a Big is, if they can’t run the floor, they are a liability in transition. Clearly, Amari has worked hard to improve her conditioning and ability to get up and down the court. Having another Big who can score, rebound, defend and run the court could pay big dividends in March for UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom