Geno just dropped the ball ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
o Well this is a silly thread!

o No need to bash KG or Uconn

o Even if KG ends up as the #1 draft pick in her senior year, it doesn't mean that she would have developed in that manner at Uconn. Geno is not for everyone and Uconn is not for everyone.
Check
Check
Check

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I've spoken to a couple of evaluators of basketball talent and all say Kiah is a good/great talent but would not be a good fit at UConn. She wouldn't thrive in the UConn system. This is not a knock on Kiah and/or her family.

I liken it to a great/good looking guy/girl with a great personality but when you get to know him/her, you realize its just not going to work out. He/She is still good looking, with a great personality and your friends say you're a fool, but you know what's best for you. Time to move on.

I've criticized Geno for not having more CT High School players on the team and will probably do so again. Hopefully the next above average talent coming out of CT will be a fit at UConn. Would love to see another Nykesha Sales play AT UConn.
Well, Nykesha was the #1 high school player in the country in 1994, and she just happened to be from Bloomfield, CT. We have had some other very valued recruits from the Nutmeg State: Jen Rizzotti and Maria Conlon especially. We didn't get what we hoped to out of Heather Buck, we had a disappointing early transfer in Sadie Edwards, and if we wanted to look at one legitimate in-hindsight ball drop, there is the Bria Holmes question.

Still, New York counts as local, and we've done exceptionally well there...

Reaction Score
Yes. She attended a practice. There was no offer then or later.

The fact that a good, even very good, player does not receive a UConn offer can be the result of a great many factors. No necessary reference to KG, but the decision is obviously based on the needs of the team in view of:

• what positions project to be unfilled or well-covered;
  • the player's particular mix of talents and physical capabilities in relation to who else will be there;
  • what other offers are outstanding, accepted, rejected, contemplated;
  • intangible factors as perceived by the coaching staff and the existing players -- motivation toward UConn, attitude toward learning (focus on improving; "coachability" or "upside"); personality/leadership impressions (potential "good teammate"); and
  • reviews by trusted high school/AAU sources.
In some cases, family members can be part of the impression.

The OP is conclusory, based on honors and enthusiasm down Maryland way, and reflects none of these operative considerations. It is also rather provocative, typically of the source though not as trollish as certain of his past efforts.

Here we go again, letting common sense get in the way of a stupid post. Geno let someone get away, I don't think so. Perhaps Kiah let one get away!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
For whatever it's worth in this sure to be 5-page thread.

"They showed that they were interested in me, but I couldn't wait around," Gillespie said of UConn.

Reaction Score
Time will tell. Gillespie will have a great career at Maryland and will more than likely be a top 3 WNBA draft pick.

You Sir, have just made an idiotic statement.

You can see the future huh? Top 3.

UCONN had 3 better and higher ranked frontcourt players in their class.
She's real nice for a Maryland
but Maryland is NO UCONN.

What is great for Maryland is middle of the road for UCONN.

You're just an agitator looking for attention. Go Home.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Time will tell. Gillespie will have a great career at Maryland and will more than likely be a top 3 WNBA draft pick.

huh, would rather have Collier and Boykin, but to each his own.

Reaction Score
Seems to be a constant bashing of players who don't wind up a Uconn. I find some of the comments about her disturbing. Plays no defense? Lack of effort? If a Uconn player was bashed like that, the post would be deleted. Double Standard.

Can I get some cheese with that whine?

Reaction Score
I think KG brings a tremendous amount of talent to the court and I genuinely hope she excels at Maryland, but I am very happy with our freshman class just the way it is.

Reaction Score
I love me some Kiah Gillespie but to say Geno dropped the ball on her is ludicrous. I'm sure UConn is very happy with KLS, Collier and Boykin. But KG has that "it" factor, especially when I saw her at the two exhibition games. I'm curious to see how she does against Pittsburgh and Syracuse later this month.

Reaction Score
Bria Holmes is a senior now. If only Geno hadn't dropped the ball and missed out on her we might have won the championship every year she has been in college. Oh, wait. We did.

Reaction Score
Come on Joe. Pulido, and she's not from CT, she's from FL. Lawlor is from CT. Geez, they've been on the team for 2 years.
They may have been on the team 2 years--but played like 2/3 minutes per game at the end when the game was decided.
When humans start out with 72 trillion brain cells, count them, after age 20 they start reducing in numbers at the Natural Log (e) rate. So just think how many I have to day and how many you'll have tomorrow (the rhetorical tomorrow). Then ask your self would you remember or care to remember unnecessary factoids?
Thanks for informing me.

Reaction Score
Alyssa Thomas was a great college player; however, how many championships did she win? She played well her first season in the W.N.B.A., but Kiah outplayed her in her first season. How many people outside of UConn fans would have predicted that?

Reaction Score
JS, you mentioned some salient and timely points, all of which must be taken into consideration before offering a scholarship to a recruit. When she announced that she committed to Maryland, someone asked her why she didn't commit to UConn. "They never offered me a scholarship" she said.

You know the coaches huddle in Geno's office regularly, and thoroughly discuss all of the potential recruits, and how they each feel about said recruit's potential value to the program, and their probability of fitting into, and being a productive member of the team.

Just because a player is tall, has handles, and can shoot the lights out in high school, does not mean those attributes will carry over into college. Usually they do, but not always. The 6'4" and taller girls rarely play against someone as tall as them in high school, so they usually have their way on the block. If they're shooting jumpers on the perimeter, no one has been blocking their shots.

In Geno I trust. He knows what he is doing!! He knows what type of player he wants to bring into his program and work with. During his 30+ years in coaching, he's made enough errors in judgement (recruits) in the past, to have it down pat by now.

Geno knows the difference between pyrite (fool's gold), and a real "pure gold" nugget when he sees it, as does his staff. There were reasons UConn didn't offer her a scholarship. Reasons we probably will never know. UConn is not for everyone. As fans, we want ALL of the best players to come to Storrs, and the Huskies carry on and perpetuate their championship legacy.

You can't have 14 girls on the team that were #1 or #2 in their class. Not enough basketballs on the court during the game. Some girls are going to be starters, and play the majority of the minutes, and some have to be role players and come off the bench. Sadie Edwards did not envision being a role player when she committed to UConn.

The combination of too many players that play the same position, who the coach is, where the school is, are their friends going there?, and other mitigating factors and circumstances, contribute heavily in determining where the recruit ultimately decides to go.

None of this is breaking news. Everyone here on the yard already knows this. So with that said, I leave you with the same thought that Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers imparted to the Packers fans recently...R-E-L-A-X. :cool:
Have you asked yourself what was the MOTIVATION for the posting that you gave this answer to?? Maybe he/she got what he/she wanted. I didn't know Geno was a Metallurgist . Coaching and Metallurgy too!!!

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
What_s_going_on_in_this_thread_nope_nevermind_3.png

I'm extremely amused at how certain you are a player will be a star when she has zero collegiate experience.

There are plenty of UCONN fans who do this :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
No spitting match Dreamer but who really dropped the ball ? Was it the coach or the one posting here? Many here would wonder why a player with that much talent was not recruited but most realize there is a reason. There are many topics on a recruit a staff cannot or simply will not comment on. It will come out down the road as it has in the past.
Again not to be slanderous but you have been here since late August, do some homework on the history of the program. Enjoy the read, you can always come back and realize maybe Geno did not drop the ball. He just let it fall in someone else's court.
Here's hoping she has a successful carrier as a turtle and keeps them in the lime light. As for Geno, we can only hope he learns how to recruit and build some kind of decent legacy........:confused::confused::confused:

Reaction Score
I've spoken to a couple of evaluators of basketball talent and all say Kiah is a good/great talent but would not be a good fit at UConn. She wouldn't thrive in the UConn system. This is not a knock on Kiah and/or her family.

I liken it to a great/good looking guy/girl with a great personality but when you get to know him/her, you realize its just not going to work out. He/She is still good looking, with a great personality and your friends say you're a fool, but you know what's best for you. Time to move on.

I've criticized Geno for not having more CT High School players on the team and will probably do so again. Hopefully the next above average talent coming out of CT will be a fit at UConn. Would love to see another Nykesha Sales play AT UConn.

Your first and last sentences seem to contra each other. Would he actually turn down a Sales? Probably not!

Reaction Score
You Sir, have just made an idiotic statement.

You can see the future huh? Top 3.

UCONN had 3 better and higher ranked frontcourt players in their class.
She's real nice for a Maryland
but Maryland is NO UCONN.

What is great for Maryland is middle of the road for UCONN.

You're just an agitator looking for attention. Go Home.

That's an absurd statement, to say the Uconn recruits are better the KG. How do you know? Because they play for Uconn, they are better right? KG in my opinion is a hybrid forward who's game is similar to Dirk Nowitzki. I'm sorry. You guys are delusional. Gillespie, to me will be the better player compared to your Uconn players in her class.

Reaction Score
That's an absurd statement, to say the Uconn recruits are better the KG. How do you know? Because they play for Uconn, they are better right? KG in my opinion is a hybrid forward who's game is similar to Dirk Nowitzki. I'm sorry. You guys are delusional. Gillespie, to me will be the better player compared to your Uconn players in her class.

And what are you drinking? KG will be a fine player, but its very doubtful that she will be better then any of the UCONN recruits. Only time will tell!

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Hoop - you are a fan of Gillespie. Fine.

To say Geno dropped the ball - I don't think so.

As to who will be better, time will tell. However, our 3 freshman do have a big advantage - the UCONN coaching staff. Geno and company are superior coaches to Brenda and company. That is a fact. Geno will get the max and more out of our frosh - bank on it.

We hope Gillespie has a fine career at MD. No ill will here.

BTW - you do know this a UCONN board.

Reaction Score
Hoop - you are a fan of Gillespie. Fine.

To say Geno dropped the ball - I don't think so.

As to who will be better, time will tell. However, our 3 freshman do have a big advantage - the UCONN coaching staff. Geno and company are superior coaches to Brenda and company. That is a fact. Geno will get the max and more out of our frosh - bank on it.

We hope Gillespie has a fine career at MD. No ill will here.

BTW - you do know this a UCONN board.

So are you saying there should be no debating? I brought up KG, because she resides in the State of Connecticut. But you guys feel Geno is the perfect basketball God. That's great! Happy for you. People like Tony C and others bleed Uconn to a point to where only Uconn should field a great team. If you don't wind up a Uconn, then you guys throw championships in players faces, which is find and dandy. Let's be fair and impartial

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
Tar and feather Geno!!

I'm extremely amused at how certain you are a player will be a star when she has zero collegiate experience.

In fairness, there is a tendency on this board that when a player commits to UConn, many here are certain she will be a star before she steps on the court.

That, of course, reflects faith in the coaching staff's recruitment efforts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom