Geno just dropped the ball ... | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Geno just dropped the ball ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
They may have been on the team 2 years--but played like 2/3 minutes per game at the end when the game was decided.
When humans start out with 72 trillion brain cells, count them, after age 20 they start reducing in numbers at the Natural Log (e) rate. So just think how many I have to day and how many you'll have tomorrow (the rhetorical tomorrow). Then ask your self would you remember or care to remember unnecessary factoids?
Thanks for informing me.
As a UCONN fan, I guess I don't consider the names of the players to be unnecessary factoids.

And, you're welcome. ;)

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
In fairness, there is a tendency on this board that when a player commits to UConn, many here are certain she will be a star before she steps on the court.

That, of course, reflects faith in the coaching staff's recruitment efforts.

There is equally a rush to condemn them to be overrated. See the KLS can't hit the ocean thread. Last year it was Nurse. Before that it was Chong... Banks... Steph...

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
That's an absurd statement, to say the Uconn recruits are better the KG. How do you know? Because they play for Uconn, they are better right? KG in my opinion is a hybrid forward who's game is similar to Dirk Nowitzki. I'm sorry. You guys are delusional. Gillespie, to me will be the better player compared to your Uconn players in her class.
Well there are a lot of people who actually make a living at this stuff, who disagree with you. They all had Boykin, Collier and Samuelson ranked higher than Gillespie. Now MAYBE, you're right and they are all wrong. But the likelihood of that is pretty small.

Personally, I think she's gonna be a good player. She's got a full ride scholarship to a great school. What's there to complain about??

Reaction Score
Alyssa Thomas was a great college player; however, how many championships did she win? She played well her first season in the W.N.B.A., but Kiah outplayed her in her first season. How many people outside of UConn fans would have predicted that?

Thomas 8.8 ppg, 5.3 rpg
Stokes 5.8 ppg, 6.4 rpg

I don't exactly call this being outplayed. Stokes did have an excellent year blocking shots.

The Ogwumike sisters didn't win any NCAA championships either. A lot of this depends on the situation of your team is in and the timing of when you are there.

Alydar was a great horse. But Affirmed was better.

JS

Reaction Score
Its hard to be fair and impartial when the poster has made the leap to troll.
quote-give-him-enough-rope-and-he-will-hang-himself-charlotte-bronte-24242.jpg

Reaction Score
As a UCONN fan, I guess I don't consider the names of the pla
yers to be unnecessary
factoids.

I guess I don;t count as a TRUE UConn fan--Men since 1950's (on radio and in the field house parking in the snow wind driven parking lot)
Confess I only began watching Uconn WBB since they were on CPTV. Guys like Pender, Corley, Poughkepsie Popper, Bobby Boyd, Walker tend to block out end of bench players. (Walker took us to the NIT's, it was a fantastic year for Uconn)

An interesting factoid is : No matter what those who disable the Constitution may say, what you consider important--is not necessary for me.
Again, I really appreciate in getting corrected about Lawlor being a Connecticut girl--

And, you're welcome. ;)

Reaction Score
That's an absurd statement, to say the Uconn recruits are better the KG. How do you know? Because they play for Uconn, they are better right? KG in my opinion is a hybrid forward who's game is similar to Dirk Nowitzki. I'm sorry. You guys are delusional. Gillespie, to me will be the better player compared to your Uconn players in her class.

No-one knows, but scouts who have watched them play certainly like two of the UConn recruits a lot more than Gillespie. More importantly, Geno does and he has shown himself to be a tremendous judge of both talent and character. The fact that he never offered Gillespie a scholarship says something. You are the one who is delusional. Also clearly have some sort of relationship to Gillespie.

Reaction Score
I am glad that I was able to garner a lot of interest on this topic. You're welcome.

Reaction Score
Did Geno drop the rope too?
I am glad that I was able to garner a lot of interest on this topic. You're welcome.
Unlike the Pope--Geno is Fallible, as all humans he makes mistakes in judgement. He gets some, he rejects some, and he misses some.
The huge question of this thread is: Are his successes greater than his failures, and I'll narrow it down a bit, THIS YEAR~!!!

Reaction Score
Thomas 8.8 ppg, 5.3 rpg
Stokes 5.8 ppg, 6.4 rpg

I don't exactly call this being outplayed. Stokes did have an excellent year blocking shots.

Looking at things in more detail, Stokes also is way ahead in blocked shots (2nd in the league), had a much better shooting pct, and had a lot fewer turnovers:

Stokes . 5.8 ppg, 6.4 rpg, .547 FG pct, 2.0 bpg, 0.8 spg, 1.1 tpg, 25.4 mpg
Thomas 8.8 ppg, 5.3 rpg, .411 PG pct., 0.2 bpg, 1.2 spg , 1.8 tpg, 26.0 mpg

Also, Stokes leads in most advanced metrics, including:

Win Share: Stokes 3.6, Thomas 1.3
PER (player efficiency rating): Stokes 15.3, Thomas 14.5 (mostly measure offense)

Also Stokes was 2nd in ROY voting. Thomas got exactly zero votes in her rookie year. Stokes was the #2 vote-getter for the all-rookie team. Thomas was 5th.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
What's the old saying? OP please take note:

"My mind is made up! Don't confuse me with facts!" :mad:

Keep dreaming. ;)

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Not really sure you'd call it interest. Every once in a while on the BY someone of unknown intent and allegiances (read here maybe a huge Terp fan or in other cases big ND fan) spills vitriolic petrol and lights the flame, and UConn fans try to smother it with blankets of derision. Not sure if that's "interest" or more like a futile exercise in mole whacking. Online flame-job columnists use the same method to get hits because they know it's the only way that anyone will read their bilge.

Try a title for your next thread along the lines of "Future Terp star and Nutmeg State product looking good" and I can guarantee you will get a ton less responses. But obviously that's not what you wanted when you decided to post that you are a better evaluator of talent for UConn than the nation's #1 coach. Now that IS a topic of interest -- and one that could point to a need for professional help.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score

How much ya wanna bet?:)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Have you asked yourself what was the MOTIVATION for the posting that you gave this answer to?? Maybe he/she got what he/she wanted. I didn't know Geno was a Metallurgist . Coaching and Metallurgy too!!!

Broadway, I've got a very vivid imagination. I believe I'm reasonably articulate as I put pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard. During the off season, I had the cape and turban cleaned and pressed. When I put them on now, I get visions and revelations you would not believe.

Sometimes BY'ers post comments that you just have to shake you head at, and move on. Trying to figure out the logic or common sense in some of their rants, will give you a headache. Over the course of the upcoming season, I'll share some thoughts, observations and revelations with the yard that will boggle the mind, so stay tuned. You won't want to miss it.

Blessings and favor to you as you go about your day. :)

Reaction Score
Besides a general bash at other contending teams, I'm really not sure why you would post this comment. Baylor, South Carolina, and Tennessee are actually very good defensive teams. South Carolina allowed the 4th fewest points per possession in the country, while Baylor was 12th and Tennessee was 15th. Duke's defense was ranked 24th, which is also better than another contending team that you did NOT mention, Notre Dame (ranked 36th).

Offensively, South Carolina ranked second in points per possession last season, with Baylor 5th, ND 6th, Tennessee 16th, and Duke pulling up the rear at 51st. Of course Duke did not have a PG last season, so I expect their offensive efficiency to increase this season.

Or were you commenting on the lack of effort expended by players of other teams? That's certainly more difficult to quantify so I will not comment on that point.

Now, now Choke, please don't get your feelings hurt. I was just goofing on those "contending" teams, especially their taller players (btw, don't consider TU and Duke as real contenders, but that's another story). Remember, with praise often comes criticism.

Nice job on regurgitating those stats. Too bad they mean absolutely nothing against quality opponents. However, if you like stats, I give you 87-62 (vs SC) and 83-52 (vs Duke). I won't comment on the Maryland game on that point.

As far as expended effort, go back and watch those imposing front lines of SC and Duke during last year's games...I was genuinely concerned for some of those poor ladies, laboring to get down court. Funny thing: never seem to see UConn players playing the same way, regardless of the score or the talent (even against Stanford last year).

Reaction Score
Broadway, I've got a very vivid imagination. I believe I'm reasonably articulate as I put pen to paper, or fingers to keyboard. During the off season, I had the cape and turban cleaned and pressed. When I put them on now, I get visions and revelations you would not believe.

Sometimes BY'ers post comments that you just have to shake you head at, and move on. Trying to figure out the logic or common sense in some of their rants, will give you a headache. Over the course of the upcoming season, I'll share some thoughts, observations and revelations with the yard that will boggle the mind, so stay tuned. You won't want to miss it.

Blessings and favor to you as you go about your day. :)
Sometimes a poster will do it with the intent of soliciting comments--positive or negative. Using Geno's name is like setting a bowl of honey out and seeing how many flies are caught in it. I think this meets that image.

I knew you cape looked neater than it had previously--cleaner/presser did a great job. Turban needs to tilt a little more to the left. But nice.
I too am ART Tick U late. No matter what my wife will say. Tell me in you VISIONS---can we count Four? Will Collier and KLS be super stars this year or next???

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
If you are looking for confirmation of any degree of agreement with you, look elsewhere, or to DaddyChoc....
What da heck... why are you dragging me into this? #weird

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
There is equally a rush to condemn them to be overrated. See the KLS can't hit the ocean thread. Last year it was Nurse. Before that it was Chong... Banks... Steph...

NO one has ever accused some (not all) posters in the Boneyard for being too quick to rush to judgement. Our history like our reputation precedes us. With the recent success of our team has enjoyed, we've become spoiled just a bit. In our minds, we think: who would not want to come to UConn and win championships? However, we must remember that there are posters here that ARE NOT members of the UConn Women's Basketball Team's marching and chowder society. They have different colored lenses in their glasses, and they don't sit in our rooting section during our games.

Thus you're ALWAYS going to get some adversarial comments from them that are contrary to ours. There's nothing wrong with that. Everybody is not drinking UConn flavored kool-aide. I truly enjoy reading opposing view points, although it doesn't mean that I'm going to necessarily agree with them. I find it interesting that some yarder's feel like "Chicken Little" when a blue chip player that the staff really covets, decides to commit to another program. You disagree?

Well, I recall some of the "less complimentary" comments that were posted here when Aja Wilson (South Carolina) and Erin Boley (Notre Dame) announced they were committing to other programs. Some of the posts where a bit randy.

Those posters had to be reminded by others that it's not fair, to criticize these young 18 year old women (none of whom think like a mature adult), just because they made a decision that we (UConn Nation) don't like or agree with. It was suggested that we should just wish them well, and move on.

The reasons why recruits choose a particular program over another are too numerous to mention, and have already been discussed here adnauseam.
The fact is, we're not going to get every recruit we want. We never have. No program does. It's a game of numbers. You recruit 6 or 7, hoping (on bended knees) you get 1 or 2.
The basketball Gods were truly smiling down on UConn when Natalie Butler (a coveted "big" we desperately needed), just fell into our lap out of the blue.

I Geno I trust!!! I can't say that enough. He and his staff are very good at scouting, researching, and analyzing potential recruits, and subsequently recruiting enough talented players that will come to Storrs, that will keep this fine tuned juggernaut rolling (downhill) full speed ahead, which in turn allows us to keep hope alive, and continue to warmly embrace this exhilarating era of "unbridled optimism". :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom