Geno just dropped the ball ... | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno just dropped the ball ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

JS

Reaction Score
Does anyone know if ever actually attended any of the practices she was invited to?
Yes. She attended a practice. There was no offer then or later.

The fact that a good, even very good, player does not receive a UConn offer can be the result of a great many factors. No necessary reference to KG, but the decision is obviously based on the needs of the team in view of:

• what positions project to be unfilled or well-covered;
  • the player's particular mix of talents and physical capabilities in relation to who else will be there;
  • what other offers are outstanding, accepted, rejected, contemplated;
  • intangible factors as perceived by the coaching staff and the existing players -- motivation toward UConn, attitude toward learning (focus on improving; "coachability" or "upside"); personality/leadership impressions (potential "good teammate"); and
  • reviews by trusted high school/AAU sources.
In some cases, family members can be part of the impression.

The OP is conclusory, based on honors and enthusiasm down Maryland way, and reflects none of these operative considerations. It is also rather provocative, typically of the source though not as trollish as certain of his past efforts.

Reaction Score
Often times the evaluation of a player being recruited for Uconn is done with Chris, Shea, Marissa and Geno with Veto powers. If Uconn (read Geno) does not recruit a player you should be pretty certain she 1. Hasn't the talent 2. Needs don't fit the player 3. the Kids attitude 4. The parents over involvement. Geno in the past has been very critical of Conneticut WBB coaching and fundamentals and only selected some kids that rode the end of his bench. Maria was an exception. Now it's Puilllio (??sp) who gets some clean up time.

Reaction Score
So, Kiah Gillespie is going to be a top 3 WNBA draft pick, and Katie Lou is a bust?:confused::eek::rolleyes: Gabby's athleticism is nothing compared to our world-class conclusion jumpers.:cool::D:p
If you are going to LIST all of Geno's current failures why stop with these. I'll start with the most obvious---Collier, Tuck, Nurse, Stewie (did he miss the boat there), Chong, Butler, Boykin, Ekmark, Lawlor, Polly, etc.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Often times the evaluation of a player being recruited for Uconn is done with Chris, Shea, Marissa and Geno with Veto powers. If Uconn (read Geno) does not recruit a player you should be pretty certain she 1. Hasn't the talent 2. Needs don't fit the player 3. the Kids attitude 4. The parents over involvement. Geno in the past has been very critical of Conneticut WBB coaching and fundamentals and only selected some kids that rode the end of his bench. Maria was an exception. Now it's Puilllio (??sp) who gets some clean up time.
Come on Joe. Pulido, and she's not from CT, she's from FL. Lawlor is from CT. Geez, they've been on the team for 2 years.

Reaction Score
Seems to be a constant bashing of players who don't wind up a Uconn. I find some of the comments about her disturbing. Plays no defense? Lack of effort? If a Uconn player was bashed like that, the post would be deleted. Double Standard.

Reaction Score
Come on Joe. Pulido, and she's not from CT, she's from FL. Lawlor is from CT. Geez, they've been on the team for 2 years.
Good catch---in my defense, these scholarship walk on's all spell alike (what ever that means)

Reaction Score
I'm guessing you mean Tierney Lawlor (she's the one from Connecticut)
Just wanted to see who read what I write. Good Catch. Another Valley Girl, like Maria from the Naugatuck Valley.
When I was a kid --I thought that one town, they were always said together --Ansonia, Shelton, Derby.

Reaction Score
Seems to be a constant bashing of players who don't wind up a Uconn. I find some of the comments about her disturbing. Plays no defense? Lack of effort? If a Uconn player was bashed like that, the post would be deleted. Double Standard.

I doubt there is a DOUBLE STANDARD. Most on the BY are WBB fans and respect the efforts and dedication of these young women. It is common to read xyz Uconn player plays no defense, can't shoot the 3, or misses FT's. Some are malicious most are honest opinions.
I said of a USC player (Wilson) that she didn't impress me in the summer games. I was taken to task for the comment. So
Don't feel Kiah is being singled out for comment. There were more than equal positive comments about Kiah being praised by the MD coach.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yea, so? It's a UCONN board. We can be double standarded and hypocritical if we want.

Reaction Score
Geno/Uconn usually has his/their pick of the crop when it comes to high school recruits. So he is able to use a lot of different criteria when it comes to the players he chooses. Just because a player is good does not necessarily mean that they fit the criteria. Some teams can not afford to turn away quality players. Uconn certainly can. I haven't seen this player play and have no opinion one way or the other, but as someone mentioned being productive in high school does not always translate to college. This players ability might be better assessed by their AAU production rather than her high school stats. A lot would depend on the competition she faced. If her team does not hit major tournaments I doubt that the competition in Conn. would provide enough of a challenge to really gage her potential. In high school girls basketball their is huge difference between the competition that the different levels can provide. The level of competition between the top level and each subsequent level decreases greatly. In no sport is the difference as great as girls high school basketball. Her skill level might rank among the best in the country but then again it might not. You can not always tell by high school production.

Reaction Score

Ther's no double standard. But if you make a post as off base as your original one, you can expect a lot of honest replies

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
Time will tell. Gillespie will have a great career at Maryland and will more than likely be a top 3 WNBA draft pick.
I doubt you even realize the irony of this statement.

Reaction Score
Geno/Uconn usually has his/their pick of the crop when it comes to high school recruits. So he is able to use a lot of different criteria when it comes to the players he chooses. Just because a player is good does not necessarily mean that they fit the criteria. Some teams can not afford to turn away quality players. Uconn certainly can. I haven't seen this player play and have no opinion one way or the other, but as someone mentioned being productive in high school does not always translate to college. This players ability might be better assessed by their AAU production rather than her high school stats. A lot would depend on the competition she faced. If her team does not hit major tournaments I doubt that the competition in Conn. would provide enough of a challenge to really gage her potential. In high school girls basketball their is huge difference between the competition that the different levels can provide. The level of competition between the top level and each subsequent level decreases greatly. In no sport is the difference as great as girls high school basketball. Her skill level might rank among the best in the country but then again it might not. You can not always tell by high school production.

That's like that for most HS players. Very rarely do you find top flight competition during the HS season, unless you play in a region ala Texas where there's a flux of very above average HS teams. Most of the elite players make their bones during the AAU season. KG played for New Heights, who plays a pretty hefty AAU schedule. Don't try to harp on just her HS campaign.

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score

The fact that a good, even very good, player does not receive a UConn offer can be the result of a great many factors. No necessary reference to KG, but the decision is obviously based on the needs of the team in view of:

• the player's particular mix of talents and physical capabilities in relation to who else will be there;
  • intangible factors as perceived by the coaching staff and the existing players -- motivation toward UConn, attitude toward learning (focus on improving; "coachability" or "upside"); personality/leadership impressions (potential "good teammate"); and

The OP is conclusory, based on honors and enthusiasm down Maryland way, and reflects none of these operative considerations. It is also rather provocative, typically of the source though not as trollish as certain of his past efforts.

Thank you, JS for that very appropriate summation ( and not just the parts I stressed, either.)

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Visitor from the dark side (MBB board) - this poster has been making outlandish statements in our neck of the woods as well. He claims that Omar Calhoun will become the next Kemba Walker, averaging 20+ PPG and becoming a first-round pick. For those of you who don't follow the men's team, I can assure you that the chances of any of those three things happening are infinitesimal. Pay him/her no mind.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
hc-uconn-basketball-champions-center-1018-2014-002

That Geno guy is ALWAYS dropping balls.

Reaction Score
That's like that for most HS players. Very rarely do you find top flight competition during the HS season, unless you play in a region ala Texas where there's a flux of very above average HS teams. Most of the elite players make their bones during the AAU season. KG played for New Heights, who plays a pretty hefty AAU schedule. Don't try to harp on just her HS campaign.

Ever since UConn stopped recruiting Daneille Patterson I feel like you have been more negative towards UConn. Kiah Gillespie is a talented player but nobody in the country would pass up Katie Lou Samuelson OR Napheesa Collier. Even Maryland themselves recruited Collier really hard, and got Gillespie only after Collier committed to UConn. Also some of this is hindsight, Gillespie jumped up in the rankings after her junior AAU season, but she had already committed before then. Credit Maryland for getting on her before she "blew up" but you do not need to put UConn down, because nobody in the country that was recruiting the 2015 class would trade KLS or Collier.. FOR ANYONE!

Why can't we just wish players well instead of being critical? You are acting like Stephen A. Smith with the fake controversy.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I've spoken to a couple of evaluators of basketball talent and all say Kiah is a good/great talent but would not be a good fit at UConn. She wouldn't thrive in the UConn system. This is not a knock on Kiah and/or her family.

I liken it to a great/good looking guy/girl with a great personality but when you get to know him/her, you realize its just not going to work out. He/She is still good looking, with a great personality and your friends say you're a fool, but you know what's best for you. Time to move on.

I've criticized Geno for not having more CT High School players on the team and will probably do so again. Hopefully the next above average talent coming out of CT will be a fit at UConn. Would love to see another Nykesha Sales play AT UConn.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Those were actual game observations, simply statements of what was observed.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

JS, you mentioned some salient and timely points, all of which must be taken into consideration before offering a scholarship to a recruit. When she announced that she committed to Maryland, someone asked her why she didn't commit to UConn. "They never offered me a scholarship" she said.

You know the coaches huddle in Geno's office regularly, and thoroughly discuss all of the potential recruits, and how they each feel about said recruit's potential value to the program, and their probability of fitting into, and being a productive member of the team.

Just because a player is tall, has handles, and can shoot the lights out in high school, does not mean those attributes will carry over into college. Usually they do, but not always. The 6'4" and taller girls rarely play against someone as tall as them in high school, so they usually have their way on the block. If they're shooting jumpers on the perimeter, no one has been blocking their shots.

In Geno I trust. He knows what he is doing!! He knows what type of player he wants to bring into his program and work with. During his 30+ years in coaching, he's made enough errors in judgement (recruits) in the past, to have it down pat by now.

Geno knows the difference between pyrite (fool's gold), and a real "pure gold" nugget when he sees it, as does his staff. There were reasons UConn didn't offer her a scholarship. Reasons we probably will never know. UConn is not for everyone. As fans, we want ALL of the best players to come to Storrs, and the Huskies carry on and perpetuate their championship legacy.

You can't have 14 girls on the team that were #1 or #2 in their class. Not enough basketballs on the court during the game. Some girls are going to be starters, and play the majority of the minutes, and some have to be role players and come off the bench. Sadie Edwards did not envision being a role player when she committed to UConn.

The combination of too many players that play the same position, who the coach is, where the school is, are their friends going there?, and other mitigating factors and circumstances, contribute heavily in determining where the recruit ultimately decides to go.

None of this is breaking news. Everyone here on the yard already knows this. So with that said, I leave you with the same thought that Green Bay Packers QB Aaron Rodgers imparted to the Packers fans recently........R-E-L-A-X. :cool:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well this is a silly thread!
No need to bash KG or Uconn
Who knows what kind of player KG will turn out to be, certainly don't think exhibition games in her freshman year or even comments from practice will determine her 4 year college results.
Uconn recruited three very good forward/wing type players in 2015 - they didn't need a fourth so whatever quality KG has it wasn't a team need.
KG may not have wanted to play at Uconn, may not have liked Geno, may have wanted to get away from home, whatever.
Even if KG ends up as the #1 draft pick in her senior year, it doesn't mean that she would have developed in that manner at Uconn. Geno is not for everyone and Uconn is not for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom